The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This?

+2
Haddie-nuff
laverfan
6 posters

Go down

Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This? Empty Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 am

http://www.sportsgrid.com/tennis/rebecca-marino-retires-internet-bullying/

Kinda raises the questions why anyone would want a Twitter account because it allows for morons. See Tom Daley.

I find this sad and very stark. Sad

Back to top Go down

Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This? Empty Re: Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This?

Post by laverfan Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm

The challenge with such public social networks is that abuse and praise are both forthcoming, provided one has the maturity to deal with both aspects, with equanimity.

There is a very well known case of a Canadian girl who committed suicide because someone posted inappropriate pictures of her.

This is the dark side of humanity. But the Internet also gave us WiKileaks and Pfc Manning and exposed accountability of authorities all over the world.

We have the v2 version of the dark side here - https://www.606v2.com/t40869-fed-nadal-nah-lets-talk-about-facebook-and-twitter

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This? Empty Re: Ok Own Up - Which Forum Caused This?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 pm

I don't have problems with social networks in terms of the good that they can do. I admire her honesty in the fact she knows herself she cannot handle the extreme comments and views that social networks bring with it. I do recall a girl in the UK posting on her FB she was going to commit suicide and she did and I think her mum pointed the blame at FB and her friends for not 'acting' up when she was vocal with her intended actions. I do wonder why Marino just didn't delete her social network accounts if the content being posted on her profile was unpleasant. I guess this is where a PR group earns it's dosh.

It is a shame an athlete feels these factors are strong enough to force her into retirement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 pm

laverfan wrote:The challenge with such public social networks is that abuse and praise are both forthcoming, provided one has the maturity to deal with both aspects, with equanimity.

There is a very well known case of a Canadian girl who committed suicide because someone posted inappropriate pictures of her.

This is the dark side of humanity. But the Internet also gave us WiKileaks and Pfc Manning and exposed accountability of authorities all over the world.

We have the v2 version of the dark side here - https://www.606v2.com/t40869-fed-nadal-nah-lets-talk-about-facebook-and-twitter

I hope you were around at that articles inception LF.. that was not my intention .. it was what it developed into not of my doing...I take no responsibility for the "dark side"

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

That case doesn't sound like a Twitter issue. It just sounds like someone not equipped for life in the public eye. The more significant factor seems to be having to deal with depression.

I get the sense in this case that if it wasn't Twitter, it would have been a newspaper article or a person in the street, or any other medium of negativity.

One can argue that someone shouldn't have to face any abuse but unfortuately the world is abundant in idiots and it is pretty much inevitable for anyone. Particularly someone pursuing a career in the public eye.

Laverfan - I'm not sure I see much "dark" in that thread. What are you thinking of?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

My thought exactly HMM on both counts - she had issues with handling criticism. Suspect the pressure of achieving on tour finally got to her. She was a relative unknown also...imagine if Nadal was as thin-skinned as her! He'd have thrown the towel in years ago.

Anyway, yes...just what was soooo dark about the other thread?
That the link to Facebook was picked up by the forum and discussed...infact I picked it up - and linked it back to Nadal/Federer - because it was used in the very article linked.

Now I'm made to feel like a naughty boy who dared to veer off-piste. We need to be careful not to trample any discussion in here that isn't strictly tennis...trust me, I like discussing the ins and outs of tennis until the proverbial bovine class returns back but sometimes abit of levity or sidebar discussion is ok. How many conversations do people have with friends that stay on topic for the duration. Hardly ever! Its no different in here. If we only ever "stuck to OP" it would become drier than Ghandi's flipflop because discussion only about Nadal or Federer, or surface speed, or grips/strings, etc, only holds interest on one level. The other level is "banter" ... all forums need it.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

lydian wrote:imagine if Nadal was as thin-skinned as her! He'd have thrown the towel in years ago.

After using it wipe his arm down after an ace. (sorry couldn't resist!)

lydian wrote:The other level is "banter" ... all forums need it.
Interesting you say that. I had a browse through some of the other sports on V2 and it seems there is a lot more banter on those forums.

The tennis forum seems to be more active but has much less levity. We have our moments but it's not common.

I wonder what it is about us in the tennis section that makes us so serious and, often, irritating to each other?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Depends really HM.

I would certainly love for some banter. I admire JHM's efforts to add some humour to the debates.

If HE were taking the pi$$ with every anti murray article ever published, she would be hands down the funniest poster on this forum! I would even bestow that title on her myself.

You can sometimes read an article that is so far out of leftfield that you read it twice and then once you realise that person is being serious, you fear for their sanity.

Nadal is like a buzzword that gets everyone moving to the topic being discussed and I believe where he has been done to death like a 5 euro hooker from Amsterdam how can you fit him in a banter discussion when the immediate response is defence, defence and defence. Similar with Murray fans. The same views and arguments get regurgitated and some posters withdraw from a participation position on the board. I can guarantee 3 subjects that annoy the forum

1) Era's
2) Negative Nadal
3) GOAT

If we as a forum can somehow get banter into these subjects, might actually help the forum mellow. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 pm

@H-n... I was just pulling your leg a bit. Wink

@Lydian... nothing dark about the other thread, but the references to Twitter/Facebook in general are a bit iffy.

In the area I live, there was a predator targeting children via Facebook/Twitter. What bothers me about such social networks is their abuse as a public platform to spread crime. There is always a debate whether such a platform provides more good than bad or not. BTW, did not want to make you sound like a naughty boy, despite what you already know about yourself. Wink

@HM... The two references to deaths, and many similar incidents is what I consider the 'dark' side.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

LF Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:LF Hug
kiss rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:48 pm

If you are a professional sportsperson surely you ought to know you'll get criticism?

I don't do Facebook or Twitter or any of that childish stuff, so don't know or agree with personally trolling someone, but hasn't she A) Given them a platform and B) shown she doesn't have the minerals and drive to be successful?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Sad that she felt this decision was necessar. Generally I think it's better to stands up to people if you can't ignore them. But it's her decision.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down