The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albert Mack.

3 posters

Go down

Albert Mack. Empty Albert Mack.

Post by MrsP Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

I doubt anyone reading this will have heard of this man but any of you involved in amateur sport, especially athletics, will have met someone similar. Men like this are the reason we still have young athletes able to enjoy the sport. He is also the reason I am training to be an official.

A couple of years ago we were at the local Multievent Championships watching our son compete. One of our daughters was really keen to come along even though we explained it would be a long and possibly boring day for an 11 year old. When we arrived we suggested she could make herself useful by helping the perpetually understaffed officials out. We thought she could run with results or rake sand or something and it would help the day go by for her and also help out.

One of the N.I. Athletics staff asked Albert if he could find her a job to do. Now, Albert was not a man known for his diplomacy and I was concerned that his gruff manner might be a bit too much for the lass but off she went. Next thing we know she is fully involved in helping out at LJ and HJ and is having a great time. When it was time for lunch I went to find her only to be told by Albert that she was an official and so she had to go and have lunch with the rest of the officials. Boy did she feel great! By the end of the day she was absolutely certain she wanted to train as an official and pestered me to find out when and how she could do this.

She is still too young to be registered but was allowed to attend the course with me and her sister and has helped out at several events. She wants to be the youngest official at the World Champs!

The 2 of us were at the local Indoor Juvenile Champs just 2 weeks ago and Albert was the one who assigned us our jobs and filled in our Log Books.

The world will be a lesser place with the passing of Albert Mack but, if myself and my 2 daughters between us can contribute a tenth to athletics that Albert managed we will have done an excellent job. So, if any of your local clubs or associations have an "Albert", please treasure them and make sure they know you appreciate their time and effort.

You will be sorely missed Albert.

http://www.athleticsni.org/News/Passing-of-ANI.-Vice-President-ALBERT-MACK

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Albert Mack. Empty Re: Albert Mack.

Post by Gibson Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:40 pm

This, for me, defines the very essence of what sport can bring to enhance people's daily lives.

I remember people like that in my sporting life. They are the backbone of all the sexy stuff we watch at the top-end. Without them, there would be no top-end. Without Albert and his ilk, the World would be a lesser place.

Thanks Albert. You made a huge difference Sir.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

The great club man/woman forms the fabric of the whole organisation, their dedication is unquestionable, every good team has one, and this man sounded like a gem. We don't survive without people doing the accounts, cutting the grass, sorting out equiptment etc

RIP Albert

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down