The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the only deaf professional sportsman in England

+3
GunsGerms
SubsBench
damage_13
7 posters

Go down

the only deaf professional sportsman in England Empty the only deaf professional sportsman in England

Post by damage_13 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9900808/Bath-flanker-Mat-Gilbert-I-may-be-deaf-but-I-know-how-to-survive-on-the-rugby-field.html

Nice article here.

Being deaf myself 100% in one ear and over 50% it completely throws a different light onto sport.

As was discussed in a paralympic thread, the Deaf have their own sporting event, as like most sports people we are able bodied but the disability effects communication and awareness.

If you ever want to increase visual awareness and co-ordination in training get your team mates to wear earplugs, you'll also see how much hard work it is to 'see' everything that is going on and concentration levels are very fatiguing when in use to overcome a lack of hearing.

In some sports it is worse than others, especially teamsports that require you to fit in a group where most, if not all visual focus is on the ball.

You can rarely hear the ref, and none of the banter/wind-ups from the opposition, this gives you an seemingly unflappable attitude (which is sometimes ruined when in technical time-outs, you can be heard the other side of the hall explaining to your team mates, just how Poopie the opposition are and how you are going to personally crush them when you get back on court).
Whistle

of course for Mat, the field is fairly evened out due to the crowd noise and everyone screaming their heads of anyway.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

the only deaf professional sportsman in England Empty Re: the only deaf professional sportsman in England

Post by SubsBench Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

I don't know how he's playing these days but Matt Gilbert seemed to be a very promising No 8 when he was with the Scarlets. It was ridiculous that we left him go especially as we had lost David Lyons and Ben Morgan as well which left us with just one out and out No 8. I hadn't realised he was deaf until I saw Richie Pugh signing to him.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

the only deaf professional sportsman in England Empty Re: the only deaf professional sportsman in England

Post by GunsGerms Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

He can hear a little I assume? How does he get the calls right in the lineout for example.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:17 pm

Interesting. Ben Cohen has about 1/3rd hearing loss in each ear.

Hence the 'Shane who?' comment.

He's done a lot of work with deaf awareness in rugby.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

I saw that article too - very impressive really. Very inspiring

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 2:07 pm

GunsGerms - lipreading, or discussion before the lineout.

He can hear a little, I don't think he is profoundly deaf, but it really depends on which frequency's he is missing or has a loss on.

I'm amazed he wears them when he plays, any impact on the ear would be very uncomfortable.

At least with modern hearing aids they have a db cut-off, in fact his aids may have a setting which cut out most of the background noise and enhance voices closest to him. He could in theory have better hearing that other players in that respect.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

I remember him being interviewed on 'The Rugby Club' a while back about it, quite an interesting watch if I remember rightly.

Link to interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7b6vORG0ew

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm

He has hearing aids. Occasionally they fail but as he's pointed out not massively different to contacts. That's why he wears the scrum cap.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

erm, I beg to differ. Depending on how they fill the ear canal (which changes shape with jaw movements) any direct impact would be risky.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down