The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread

+19
gboycottnut
ShankyCricket
GSC
FerN
Hoggy_Bear
Carrotdude
Stella
hodge
VTR
msp83
alfie
LivinginItaly
guildfordbat
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
trebellbobaggins
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread - Page 3 Empty New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

England successfully made a great escape in Dunedin, after being 293 behind in the first innings, leaving the series 0-0 with 2 to play. England will take heart from that, New Zealand probably will as well after bowling England out for 167. Wellington is expected to have more swing than Dunedin, and be more suited to the fast bowlers. The weather looks fine for the first 3 days, it's day 4 and 5 that will likely be interrupted by the weather. Both teams are expected to be unchanged. Starts at 21:30 GMT tonight.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:14 am

England probably guilty of trying to force the pace too much to early. Thankfully, Prior made a good innings and 465 was more than a good score. Then 3 wickets before stumps for England, Broad showing hints of getting back into form. England on top, 17 wickets to go!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Wellington, 2nd Test Thread

Post by alfie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:32 am

Decent day for England really...465 is OK , if rain shortens the game then 550 would probably have taken too long to get anyway.
Bowlers have had a good start. Would have liked one more wicket but if they can nip out a couple early tomorrow NZ might well be removed for a modest score , and then who knows...
Any spin for Monty yet ? Maybe in the second innings ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Those late wickets made it England's day despite the early struggles with the bat. Very happy to see KP back among runs and a fine hand yet again from Matt Prior. And Stuart Broad is back among wickets too.
For NZ, Williamson has got a start, Brownlie, McCullum and Watling all are fighters. It won't be easy for England, the bowling has to be right on the mark from ball one tomorrow. The weather reports seem to suggest that things might improve during the weekend. England would really love to take a big first innings lead. First session tomorrow will be key, 2-3 wickets, England will be well on their to a big lead, possibly a position of being enforce the follow-on. But if KW and the rest get their act together and get pass 300, then it will be dificult for England to force a result with the possibility for an iffy last day in terms of the weather.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:17 pm

NZ showed plenty of commitment, but England helped them out again with some poor dismissals. Prior sparing England's blushes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Matt Prior has been a very key player for England since 2008 when he was axed, with Tim Ambrose taking over. He again did what he did best yesterday, by knocking up a decent 82. I think he has been a very key part, of the success in English test cricket.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:30 pm

With his combative, gutsy, batting style at around No 7 in the line up he seems to have the ability in a short space of time to turn a fair position into a commanding one. Lost count of the number of times he's done that for England. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

decent day england nothing more...

from the position we were in overnight we should have been looking at 550-600...however we started slowly and struggled KP wasnt at his fluent best, and it was lucky that Prior made runs....agree with what Nick said, Prior is a key player, and that reflects in him now being Cook's Vice captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

Looking at the BBC's weather forecast for Wellington, it should be fine for day 3 and 4, day 5 is horrendous! New Zealand still need 200 to avoid the follow-on, England may have to get them out before then.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

id rather be in the position we are with 3 wickets of the kiwis than 550 at close of day.

there is bad weather coming.

not the best batting , biut we are in a good position

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

Few beers, take away pizza, now can't wait for the start of the days play. Here's hoping for a few early wickets before the beer takes it's toll and I fall asleep.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

if the bbc weatherpeeps are right (and lets face it, you wouldn't bet your cat let alone your house on them) then this is looking like another draw.

Wickets needed and fast!

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:58 pm

Ill be watching the cricket as well as the tennis tonight

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

Running through them now.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

Barbie bowling well here.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

Broads a world beater if he finds some consistency. Capable of running through teams.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

Good start to the day,

NZ need their main man BMC more than ever today. He should do the business for them. World class.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

Is Watling streets ahead of the rest of the tail?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

Good decision not to review that, easily thought they would of done. Broad look very certain.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

Broads always certain
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm

Yeah if Broad ever becomes captain we'll lose our review within two overs of his bowling
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

Good first hour for England. Broad & Anderson bowled well ...need Finn and Monty to keep the pressure on now , couple more before lunch would be nice.

These two can both bat and Southee and Martin are no mugs so there is still a bit of work to do.

Looks as if Monty is bowling a bit slower to try and coax a bit of turn out of this track. Not sure he will get much out of it yet.

Last edited by alfie on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong name : for some reason I always want to call Martin "Butler " ...)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

BMC is giving it some welly. He just seems to play one day style every time I see him but it sure works.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

Looking more and more like a draw if rain sets in as expected.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm

Runs beginning to flow a bit. Need a breakthrough
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:18 pm

That will do me for the night.

A wicket is vital, this partnership is becoming stronger and stronger.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:24 pm

Bit early to call it a draw. Even if we expect day five will be a total write off , if NZ can be bowled out by around tea today the follow on might still be a chance.

Tricky if they avoid the follow on as declaring a second innings too early would be a bit risky if the last day rain doesn't arrive ...this pitch may hold up quite well so a fourth innings chase could be on. On the other hand you don't want to have them seven down in the second innings and sit watching it rain all day...

Better get them out inside another hundred. But this partnership is proving hard to dislodge. The change bowling just hasn't looked as dangerous as Anderson and Broad.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

Joe Root to have a bowl. Fair enough , have to try something.

Fifty for McCullum clap

His team needed that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

Finn has been bowling poorly in both these tests in NZ. Not very good signs that for the 2 upcoming ashes tests series this year.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:17 am

Broad clap

superb effort from him, wraps up the NZ innings with his sixth wicket as Boult has an awful swipe, gets an inside-edge and Prior takes a very nice catch diving to his left. Really good bowling from Broad, 6-51 in the end for him. Gut feeling is England should enforce the follow-on, especially with the dodgy forecast, though it's going to be tough work for them second time around.

a word on Monty, who despite keeping things tight was a bit disappointing, never really looked like taking a wicket. Also unfortunately his fielding is still as awful as ever, got worse if possible. I reckon he cost England at least 10-15 runs in the field, not to mention the bad drop which could have been very costly. Unless he contributes in the second innings here, I'd be tempted to pick Tredwell instead of him in the final test, whose all-round contribution could just be superior in these conditions.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:26 am

and England have indeed enforced the follow-on. Still theoretically 2 days and a session to go here, but England are obviously taking the forecast into account. I'm sure Cook and Flower will have talked to the bowlers, and obviously they don't feel overworked. To be fair neither Finn nor Broad bowled that much, and Anderson's fitness is very good these days. I suspect England will need Panesar to contribute second time around though to get a result here. Exciting final session coming up, England looking for inroads.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:39 am

Though after the debacle in the first inning of the first test test England bounced back strongly. Before this series I assumed the result will go 2-1 for England but after the draw in the first test match this match seems to be fruitful for England before Ashes. I hope Compton will will be going with this good form. This match though we will see some resistance from NZ batsman but hope England will go with a win in this match.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:55 am

Is there a funnier sight in Cricket than watching Monty try and dive!!

Ha ha.

Well done England for enforcing the follow on. That could be the difference between a win and a draw.

Amazing catch by bell.

Very solid bowling from Broad. It looks like the rest has given him the impetuous

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

Monty will be the key man for England. He'll need to bowl long spells and New Zealand are under no real pressure to score runs, just to bat time, so Monty will need to work them out. If Monty can get in and among the wickets early we should win this one.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:33 am

Broad's best bowling for quite some time. Much needed as well, with England enforcing the follow-on, 9 wickets left to get, and we'll probably have to chase a small target.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:34 am

Just good enough again from England
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:47 am

Unless the pitch changes character overnight I can't see Monty running through NZ.

Would place more faith in Jimmy and Broad after a good night of rest. But I fear it might be tough job getting them out tomorrow , and will take a lot of overs.

So I hope that fifth day forecast improves.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

England are in a pretty decent position. Being in a position to enforce the follow-on was the key and they just about managed it. New Zealand have resisted well in the 2nd innings so far, but they would need a great deal more of the same tomorrow as well. If they bat well tomorrow, there is still hope for them to go into the next game with the series at stake.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:22 am

England have to try and wrap it up tommorow. But tbh NZ have a decent start in there second innings..

Imagine the anoyace if we bowl them out and then cant score 50 runs to win because the last day is a wash out.

BTW we have a wash out in the F1.

I thought weather was supossed to be good in that neck of the woods..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

mystiroakey wrote:

BTW we have a wash out in the F1.

I thought weather was supossed to be good in that neck of the woods..

Not today mate. Washed away our crickets finals as well and has hardly stopped raining since lunchtime.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

Shame.. Sad

Don't you lot get double pay if you work when it rains?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm

Can't say the fifth day forecast has improved, so if we are going to win, we may have to win on Day 4.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

Stuart Broad was exceptional with the ball yesterday...hopefully he can start to getting back to being more consistent and producing these displays on a regular basis not just once in a blue moon..

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:16 pm

I'd like to think we can bowl them out quickly again. Depends how much we need to get
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

Seems James Anderson is battling a back trouble. Hopefully he'll be fit and firing for tomorrow. But if there is a significant concern, England shouldn't overbowl him, there is a lot of test cricket to be played this year after this test.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

yup i would even be tempted to rest him for one or two test matches to be honest, so is he fully fit for the ashes..

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

Cloud cover won't hurt if the rain stays away
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm

Nearly lunch and only the one wicket taken. England need a bit of luck or a stroke of genius.

Cook calls on Joe Root for an over or two...probably hoping for the former then...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm

Drifting to a draw if the doom mongers for day 5 are correct. patience required
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm

Fifty for Williamson .

NZ looking pretty solid. 148/2. One more over...Trott.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

Lunch with NZ only 58 behind. Good session for them.

Rain is close. The draw is looking very much the likely option.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next