The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing sand

+2
kwinigolfer
dynamark
6 posters

Go down

Testing sand Empty Testing sand

Post by dynamark Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:39 am

Just reading Mr Carter on BBC about Miss Lewiss caddy adjudged to be testing the sand by 'treading'in it.The caddy!Penalty via TV
Last time I walked into a bunker I know for sure I tried to judge the quality/wetness/consistency of the sand before the shot.Ridiculous

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Testing sand Empty Re: Testing sand

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:52 am

dyna,
I think Mr.Carter's description is incomplete. I saw the video and it certainly looked as if he was testing the consistency of the sand for his player - and Stacy Lewis pretty much confirms that's what he was doing, albeit inadvertently.
I'm sure a player - like all of us do - wiggles their feet around to surreptitiously test the sand, but there wasn't anything surreptitious about this performance.
Don't know that others would agree, but it looked pretty cut and dried to me.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

Thanks kwini didnt see it TBF.She wont be making that mistake again

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

I saw that too. He didn't just walk in there, he definitely tested and to make things worse, the mike picked up Stacy making a comment about the firmness of the sand. Looked to me like it was just instinctive on his part and that Stacy didn't even see him doing it. There was certainly no argument from them once they saw the video. What an amazing final round from Stacy though !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

Seems particularly dumb. I wouldn't go on my caddy's say-so re. the sand in a trap.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

Poor mistake but a fabulous player . . . . . . .
Quite an interesting interview (compared to most of the men, anyway) and so many physical problems overcome. Great to see her do well and a pleasure to watch.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:19 am

Discussed this today at some length I belive the rules have changed in that you may now even rake the sand -as long as you arent testing.?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:21 am

Lewis seems like a good kid. Great way to move on from an unfortunate mistake by her "team", especially as world #1 spot was at stake.

Also nice to see that Ai Miyazato (she of the "Zen Archery" style of driving the golf ball) is back in action and playing well following car crash. Come to think of it, didn't Paula Creamer come close to winning that event in the Far East where both of them were injured (Miyazato worse than Creamer though obviously)? Perhaps there's a point in here about coming back from adversity.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:25 am

Beware the ailing golfer . . . . . .

. . . . think Pettersen was involved also, perhaps among others.

Car crashes, malaria, whatever next?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:58 am

That's a pretty staggering mistake for a pro caddy to make. One of the earliest things you learn is that you cannot test the sand. I know that we all bury our feet a little to get a good foothold and test the sand but there is no way that you do it before your feet are in place. And then one of the first things you learn as a pro (or even as an amateur if you play a comp with a caddy) is that everything your caddy does is the same as you doing it.

Sounds like she got a penalty for it and obviously will not do it again. Fortunately also sounds like she has built up enough good will for this not to be marked down as a permanent black mark.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down