The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

+34
MontysMerkin
Tiler76
Skydriver
dynamark
jimbohammers
Seve_The_Great
Dave.
Diggers
Roller_Coaster
monty junior
ALPanorak
GPB
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
beninho
Davie
themightyone
mystiroakey
sirbenson
NedB-H
SmithersJones
incontinentia
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
princedracula
robopz
Lairdy
Shotrock
super_realist
barragan
boyhyde
McLaren
pedro
kwinigolfer
38 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

1).Before we move up Interstate 4 from the course that the Pros consider the best they play in Florida to the course they rate the worst, let's have a look back at last week's Tampa Bay Classic, at Innisbrook's Copperhead Course. Kevin Streelman became the fifth first-time winner on Tour with a marvellous final nine holes which trumped Boo Weekley's best-of-the-week 63.
Streelman beat a good field to secure his maiden victory the right way, with birdies on two tough par-3's and brave, straight-down-the-middle drives on the "Snake Pit's" two par fours.

2).But who is Kevin Streelman? He's 34, middle-aged for a first-time winner, has collected $7M in official prize-winnings as he enjoys his sixth season on Tour, and won a cool $1M as the inaugural winner of the Kodak Challenge in 2009. Despite bursting on the scene in San Diego (twice, as he was joint first-round leader at the Torrey Pines US Open) in 2008, when he led after 36 holes and was grouped with E.T.Woods for Round 3 before fading, his only podium finishes before Tampa were third places in golfing hotbeds of Cancun, Puerto Rico and New Jersey.
Now he's a Tour Champion and the sky's the limit for someone who's always been much more than a journeyman and, by all accounts, one of the nicer guys on Tour. (Especially when he's not reading "the scriptures".)

3).He'll tee it up at Bay Hill this week and he's enjoyed a top ten finish here in the past. One bloke who won't be there is JB Holmes who has broken an ankle roller-blading and will be out of commission for three months. While this portends a pick-up in pace of play on Tour, it sadly suggests also that his brain surgery in 2011 wasn't as succesful as first thought. A terrible start to JB's season and now this.

4).This is one week where it's impossible not to speak of defending champion Tiger Woods. And of course he jump-started coverage of himself by posting mug-shots of Lyndsey and him all over social media and then requested privacy for the smiling couple. Good luck with that, especially following his week's canoodling with Lyndsey on his yacht "Privacy" (nothing if not ironic) during Doral. Las Vegas odds-makers are offering 4-1 against an engagement by January 2015 - I imagine Paddy Power and other reputable houses might offer rather different odds regarding rather different aspects of the joyful coming together of a sex addict and a depressive.

5).Speaking of Tiger, and why not, he was on the radio the other day likening the spotlight's glare on Rory and Wozza with that on himself and, you name her. He also revealed, in the aftermath of his (personal) record of 100 putts at Doral and putting tips from Stricker, that he had indeed offered tips to "Stricks" during last year's FedEx Play-Offs. 'Course, they then travelled together to Medinah and we know how that worked out, don't we. Needless to say he wasn't pressed on that but Thanks Tiger.

6).No tips on the putting green this week, Stricker is back in Wisconsin. But the fact is that Tiger has won here seven times and any consideration of likely winners has to include him. Which will mean that prices for the rest of the field should be generous, if only you can pick someone to beat the favourite. I certainly can't.

7).There's a terrific field on hand, no Luke or Rory, no Charl or Louis, but just about everyone else is in town. Strangely, and as noted last week, this has been a happy hunting ground for GB&I golfers with Martin Laird having won two years ago, Greg Owen incomprehensibly contriving to lose to Pampling in 2006, and decent best finishes by McDowell (2nd twice), Poulter (3rd last year), Rose (3rd in 2011), Davis (4th last year) and Westwood (5th in 2007). David Lynn makes his first visit and, at the other end of the scale, Ross Fisher was DQ'd after one round on his only appearance.
Maybe Justin Rose's turn? Wouldn't put any money on it but there seems to be something in Justin's DNA that has him winning this sort of event, especially after not doing so great coming in. Will playing with Tiger (and Ernie) in Rounds 1 and 2 help or hinder the English petal?

8).A strong web.com field is assembling in Louisiana for the first US-based tournament of the year, and Gary Christian and Russell Knox tee it up for Britain along with 18 Tour winners (and seven more are alternates).

9).While the old farts are in adjacent Mississippi, where Brian Henninger makes his first Champions Tour start. Not many Tour players can say their only two tournament wins were in Mississippi but Henninger certainly can. He was also the guy holding Ben Crenshaw's hand during the final round of Gentle Ben's post-Penick-funeral Masters win in 1995. Chapman, Mouland and Lyle will be there as well, Lyle presumably making his final (and futile) start before Augusta.

10).Easy to be cynical writing notes about the famous and wannabe famous, but much harder to express adequate admiration and appreciation for Stacy Lewis's relentless rise up the Rolex rankings to be Number One in the World.
Her difficulties with scoliosis, spinal fusion, years in a cast are well known, but she was also the first Curtis Cupper to win all five of her matches, at St.Andrews, in 2008, having already won a rain-shortened (and hence unofficial) LPGA event as an amateur. She qualified for the 2008 US Open which she led after three rounds before crumbling with a Sunday 78.
Lewis qualified for the LPGA Tour in the same Q-School as Michelle Wie, receiving far less publicity but winning the event by three shots, Wee Wie finishing six shots back.
Her career has maintained its upward trajectory including a 2011 Kraft Nabisco Championship and, without falderal or fanfare has become the first American since Beth Daniel (in 1994!!) to be LPGA Player of the Year in 2012. Great to see her go from strength to strength, even as she and her caddie go over the Rules Book regarding etiquette in a bunker.
A credit to the LPGA Tour and one of many good reasons why the Tour seems to have bottomed out and is on the rise again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

OK

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: "Arnold Palmer Invitational" etc: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:51 pm

" even as she and her caddie go over the Rules Book regarding etiquette in a bunker"

Did one of them think they were a cat?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhyde Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:59 am

While this portends a pick-up in pace of play on Tour, it sadly suggests also that his brain surgery in 2011 wasn't as succesful as first thought.

Excellent Kwini!!

Must admit, having backed McDowell a couple of times here previously, he does have course form but would think he needs to be far enough ahead of Tiger to not have to admit he is only playing for second place like the other week

boyhyde

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:17 am

bloody hell!

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/golf/12-year-old-ye-wocheng-becomes-youngest-player-to-qualify-for-european-tour
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Great write up Kwini, as always.
I would think it's a couple of weeks too soon for Tiger to return to No 1 so I reckon he will not be the winner this week. I like Dufner, McDowell, Furyk and Sneds.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

Thanks All,

The PGA Of America and Tom Watson will be making "a major announcement" at noon GMT about next year's Ryder Cup. Not sure what it could be although there is some speculation it might be something to do with Team Selection and Qualification. Holding my breath already . . . . ..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:29 am

12 wildcards?...
or maybe they're just going to concede and save us the hassle of skelping them again Run

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

It should be that he will be asking someone to shoot him if he picks Nine Chins, the worst player in American RC history

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:09 am

Watson has been rabbitting on about: "I want someone on the upswing when they're going to the Ryder Cup. They're playing well, they've got some momentum."
But if a player, let's even say a very fine player, plays well for himself but doesn't give a stuff about the Ryder Cup, it's not much help Tom.

Regardless, it sounds as if he'll change the period, and perhaps the structure, over which the US Team earns qualifying points.
(All this at a time when Nick Price has been trying to secure an adjustment to the format of the President's Cup only to be denied by the PGA Tour and Captain Fred.)

Two different orgainizations, I know.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm

No earth-shattering news from Old Tom, just an adjustment from FOUR Captain's picks to THREE Captain's picks.

And that seems to be in contrast to his aforestated position that he wants players on the "upswing".

I think that's surprising news, but certainly nothing particularly significant.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

Kwin - Good to see a journalist bring the Stacey Lewis story to light. The Burlington Free Press, and Boston Globe should be knocking on your door.

Barragan - Good one ... Given the showing of the Europeans on the top tour in the World this year, you would be wise to lobby for a RC "feel good" event every year, not two! But don't get too full of yourself and go back to the GB and I format ... that would be carnage! Smile

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

Terrific write up Kwini! Well done sir.

Its a bizarre (or is it?) trend that Tiger seems to have of 'owning' the less favourable tour stop locations. Doral, Bayhill, Firestone.... and very rarely do we see him at the likes of Copperhead and Riveria. Almost suggests a limitation but surely not? Goes back to your point the other weeks doesnt it? Gotta go with what suits.

Could see Rose playing well with those two actually. A Saffer and his fellow swing disciple... both have won here in the past so he should be at least following their balls. Past winners also include Singh (still no word from Finchy?), Laird, Perry, Chad Campbell... yeah, I could see Rose fitting in there. Sergio too. Laird again? a top 30 would be a start.

PS Grown men should not roller blade.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:47 pm

Cheers Lairdy, Sr,

If there's to be a fly in Tiger's ointment this week it could be with the weather. A cloudy, rainy Wednesday morning will be followed by a nice enough Thursday but then the forecast gets decidedly dodgy; warm but breezy and showery on Friday and Saturday while there could be storms and strong winds on a hot Sunday.

As you say Lairdy, a top 30 for The Laird will be a giant step forward - let's hope he takes it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:No earth-shattering news from Old Tom, just an adjustment from FOUR Captain's picks to THREE Captain's picks.

And that seems to be in contrast to his aforestated position that he wants players on the "upswing".

I think that's surprising news, but certainly nothing particularly significant.
Maybe Watson will have another "major" announcement Masters week... you know... what brand of socks they're going wear or sumpin...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

It's Ode to Arnie week, all over again...! Rolling Eyes

Great stuff, kwini clap
...and a special round of applause for the fact that you didn't mention that man's name once in your article (apart from the obligatory title), don't think I could take much more talk with or about him at this stage. If you're to believe half of what they write about him every year, he's king and god at the same time....

He may very well win it again, but I hope he doesn't this time, Tiger I mean... I'm just afraid that if he does we'll be treated on Monday with an updated avatar pic on his twitter, featuring his and Lindsay's smiley faces with their respective index fingers pointing upwards...

It's Rose for me this year at Bay Hill! Although I would take any European at this stage (someone like Gonzo), even an Aussie, or even Ryo... With all due respect, just need a break from Americans and South Africans... Run

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Lairdy wrote:Its a bizarre (or is it?) trend that Tiger seems to have of 'owning' the less favourable tour stop locations. Doral, Bayhill, Firestone....
... and Muirfield Village... and Torrey Pines... and St Andrews.... and Congressional... and...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

Augusta?...

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:14 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:...One bloke who won't be there is JB Holmes who has broken an ankle roller-blading and will be out of commission for three months. While this portends a pick-up in pace of play on Tour, it sadly suggests also that his brain surgery in 2011 wasn't as succesful as first thought. A terrible start to JB's season and now this...
Laugh clap Almost got tea on my keyboard as I read that Kwini! Brilliant.

Great writeup again....as usual.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

princedracula wrote:He may very well win it again, but I hope he doesn't this time, Tiger I mean... I'm just afraid that if he does we'll be treated on Monday with an updated avatar pic on his twitter, featuring his and Lindsay's smiley faces with their respective index fingers pointing upwards...

It's Rose for me...

Interesting... I just took a peek at Ladbrokes and the odds on TW are 5/2 for Bay Hill... Astonishing isn't it that at those odds he's probably actually a GOOD value?

I don't bet these things... but if I was I'd be looking for REALLY good value... man, there is some. You mentioned Rose... he'd probably be at the top of my list... Consider these...

Justin Rose 16/1
Phil Mickelson 16/1
Sergio Garcia 16/1
Brandt Snedeker 20/1
Graeme McDowell 20/1
Keegan Bradley 25/1
Bubba Watson 25/1

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm

Woods is 3-1 with paddypower, still can't make myself bet on him though..

I have a massive 50p each way on:

Justin Rose 18/1
Sergio Garcia 20/1
Graeme McDowell 20/1
Jason Dufner 33/1
Jason Day 50/1

so expect none of the above to feature..!

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm

I think you were searching for Cog Hill, robo.

Cheers nbs - what an ass Holmes must be!

Sergio's had at least six top tens here; you'd think that if he could just hold the crucial putts Bay Hill would suit him down to the ground - but he'll get in his own way somewhere. Still agree that Rose is the best value, 18/1 e.w. sounds a good investment.

Thanks pd,
You know that Arnie will have everyone at their most sycophantic this week; unfortunately he doesn't get any more appealing with age.

Lastly, and apropos Watson's Ryder Cup announcement, he reckons he's got a "short" list of ten people (not that "short" then) as candidates for vice captain. Let's see: Lanny Wadkins, Ray Floyd, Nicklaus, David Feherty, everyone but, presumably, Denis Watson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

Heartily sick of the pre-tournament vomit that's dominating the media coverage:
Tiger meets girl.
Arnie can't get over Rory not playing (clue Arnie - it's a crap course and Wozza's down in Miami).

Wish they'd ask a real question like:
"Where's the "Hill" in Bay Hill?" Or the bay for that matter.

Weather looking good for the early starters, and a lovely day in store, but chance for meteorlogical mayhem for at least part of the weekend.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:51 am

Lets face it, Tigers love life is more interesting than golf. In fact even Zach Johnson's love life is probably more interesting than golf.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

Cheer up kwini kiss
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

McLaren wrote:Lets face it, Tigers love life is more interesting than golf. In fact even Zach Johnson's love life is probably more interesting than golf.

Zach Johnson only loves Jesus. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Arnold Palmer Invitational well underway as signified by Westwood bogeying his first par-5.
Why does he do that?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

Just watching a bit of the golf on the PGA Tour site. The TV leaderboard has been tweaked to put Tiger top of the -1s (-2 is leading) even though he's played fewer holes than some of the others (who are then listed in order of holes played as is the norm). Ridiculous.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

One of then reasons I always say GOlf will benefit when the hateful creep gives up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Smithers,
Not sure who's producing that but it's typical of the TV Networks, always put Woods up first as if he's some sort of deity, which of course, for their viewing figures, he is.

Some big numbers being hoisted early, Charlie Wie with a NINE, Blixt with an EIGHT, Els bogeying (or worse) everything in sight. Must be a wisdom tooth issue . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Poulter -1.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

Ishikawa justifying his Masters invite.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

Smither - Common - if not extensive practice - for those broadcasting the tournament. Last week, for example, the TV leader board always put Lukey at the top of those at -6 for example, regardless of others ahead or behind. Now we all know Lukey didn't mount any real charge, but anything to build the drama.

Think of it as floral design. You always put the pretty flowers (bigger names, higher ratings) in the front of the vase.

Competition for eyeballs brutal in digital age -- that's why you can expect to see those paying the bills lobby for even more sponsor exemptions.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

With that weather forecast McDowell must be liking his chances.

Disappointing from Els. I suppose as much as Rose may favour playing with Els and Woods, Els hates playing with Woods.

....hello, which Ishikawa is this?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

Looks like the TV companies are simply fawning sycophants and pandering to the casual glory hunting viewer than actual golf fans.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:56 pm

But this is live streaming on the PGA Tour website. Surely only for the serious golf fan at 9am local time?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

Eagle time for Woods, bad news for s_r
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

All you have to do is contrast Woods and Westwood on the par 5s to understand why LW isn't top 10 any more, and isn't looking like returning any time soon. Woods played an average 2nd on 12, going for it in 2, and despite missing on the long side played an average 3rd too. Holes the 30 footer for birdie.

Westwood on 4 hits a short, wide drive, can only move it 150 yards but finds the fairway, goes at the flag and shortsides himself and so takes 3 to get down.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

Eagle-bogey time for Woods, eagle-birdie time for Justin Smile

And three-putt bogey time for Fisher....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

BOGEY for Baldy. Yahoo

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

super_realist wrote:BOGEY for Baldy. Yahoo

............and another Yahoo

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

Smither - It's certainly been discussed before ... but if the die hard golf fan (you, I and most others on this forum) won't "view out" because of this, and the marginal fan is more likely to "view in", then it makes sense to do what they do.

Super - Also, for someone who seems offended (upset even?) about all the attention on Tiger Woods you sure post about him a lot. Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

NedB-H wrote:
And three-putt bogey time for Fisher....
2 in his first 4 holes Doh

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:48 pm

Shotrock wrote:Smither - It's certainly been discussed before ... but if the die hard golf fan (you, I and most others on this forum) won't "view out" because of this, and the marginal fan is more likely to "view in", then it makes sense to do what they do.

Super - Also, for someone who seems offended (upset even?) about all the attention on Tiger Woods you sure post about him a lot. Wink

Out of hatred Shotrock.

If he was A) a decent person and B) given proportional coverage I wouldn't mind him at all.

Saying that, although I don't like seeing him win, there's nothing quite like seeing how miserable he is the rest of the time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:50 pm

Fisher's putting on Bermuda greens is incomprehensibly dismal, always has been.
What a shame - great ball-striker, but to little avail.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm

Funny how a lot of players go off the boil once they have a family. Fisher's drop in form coincides almost exactly with the birth of his first child and he's never recovered.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Arnie can't get over Rory not playing (clue Arnie - it's a crap course and Wozza's down in Miami).
...is that a sorry Luke Donald behind Wozzilroy, at the bar? thought he was in Malaysia...
https://twitter.com/CaroWozniacki/status/314414917035905025/photo/1

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

[quote="kwinigolfer"
Arnie can't get over Rory not playing (clue Arnie - it's a crap course and Wozza's down in Miami).
[/quote]

thumbsup

Now that's funny.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 21 Mar 2013, 4:14 pm

Brilliant from Rose(as usual) won't be long until he replaces Donald as leading Englishman in the rankings.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

Justin off to a flyer. He always plays well when paired with the good players, he tends to struggle with the lesser names? No bad thing I guess but a very good start none the less.

Tiger does seem to be a different animal these days though, he won't be far away at the end .......... AGAIN Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next