The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters?

+6
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
eddyfightfan
hazharrison
School Project
10 posters

Go down

Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters? Empty Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters?

Post by School Project Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Mid week musing of mine.

But following the great results from our Olympic Boxing team and the increase in funding, it shows our little ol’ nation is pretty decent in the pugilistic arts, there’s no denying this. We’ve produced some of the biggest names in the sport… but something is still missing for me. That’s ELITE fighters… I don’t want to define elite, but hopefully you guys will get me.

Each area of the World has a completely different development process for it’s boxers. Mexicans seem to have 40+ fights at pro level before fighting for a belt, the US promote their prospects as big as it’s main stars. When I think of the UK, I see good boxers fight tin cans for far too long! I see prospects with great ability fight guys I’d never heard of in leisure centres and town halls. Yes, we all know there’s a safety first approach to building a fighter but does that actually benefit them?

Let’s take Billy Joe Saunders, James Degale and that other one who couldn’t make the weight at the Olympics in 2008… they’ve been pro for 4 years have modest records yet they are still at prospect level rather than bonafide contender material. Is it just me or with the exception of Groves vs. Degale, there’s not been a tantalising fight from these guys?

Where's the "acid tests" for our guys?

Are our fighters taking a standard easy “fight for the WBO title” approach as they aren’t good enough? Yes there’s the exception to the rule, Kell Brook is finally getting a shot against an actual World Level fighter, Froch won his WBC belt against Pascal and Amir Khan has consistently fought at the right level since he became a champion.

The question is, do our fighters get matched too easy and are ultimately set up to fail further down the line? I DREAD to see Cleverly (as a World Champion) actually fight at the level he SHOULD be fighting at World Champion level (I’ve been the biggest critic of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on the site for a long time, but I’ll be fair… he won the title from the number 1 contender and fought at World Level. You can’t get more honest than that!).

But when I compare some of the prospect fights from the US and the Mexican involvement, there seems to be a little more meat behind the fights. Why don’t MORE of our prospects fight US prospects before they are in line for belts?

I honestly think sending more of our boys to the US will help expose them to a new circle of fans and get used to taking risks in match making and more importantly help produce more Elite fighters in the future... it certainly didn't hurt Khan or Froch, even in their losses they have come back stronger and strangely more successful and (despite Khan's recent loss) are considered our best and highest level fighters.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters? Empty Re: Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters?

Post by hazharrison Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Do we produce any?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters? Empty Re: Do we (the UK) produce enough "Elite" fighters?

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 pm

i agree, in a ideal world a champions would win the british and euro belts first, then take on at least 3-4 top 10 ranked opponents to become number one contender and earn a shot.

the problem is with so many different organisations and belts and rankings, you can get to a belt these days without ever meeting anyone who is a real threat (say for instance top 10 rated by ring magazine).

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Was Ricky Hatton our last bonafide elite/world champion?

Following his Kosta win his was a world title holder and considered divisional #1. I can't think of another boxer that's done that (although maybe that's unfair to Haye at CW).

Khan came close but with the Bradley fight never materialising I don't think he was ever unanimous #1 at LWW. Froch our next best shot but always second to Ward, and possibly third to Kessler/Bute.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : significant typo!)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Well, Haye was pretty much the undisputed top man at Cruiser in 2008, TopHat, aroundabout the same time as Hatton's career was nearing its end. Burns had a pretty reasonable claim to be the best at 130 lb when he upset Martinez in 2010 and over the next twelve months in light of Fana's inactivity, but you couldn't really call him THE man at the weight beyond any doubt.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Sorry, meant Haye at CW!

It's just it's such a poorly regarded division. Also Burns, as you say, was never concerned Divisional #1 IMO, especially as he was slightly cynically regarded to have jumped weights to dodge his greatest challenger.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Aye, I'm talking about the period before Burns went up to 135 of course, TH, when Broner wasn't quite in the mix yet. Not the best by consensus but, for just about everyone, one of two leading candidates along with Fana, and on the strength of his out of the blue win over Martinez some were even whispering # 1.

I see what you mean about Cruiser, but Haye still fought his way to the top there, something the other British Cruisers before him (Reeson, Thompson, Nelson etc) never quite managed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Haye, Calzaghe and Hatton are probably the only ones since Lewis that I can think of, aside from those three Froch is the only elite level fighter we've had.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Audley?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Haye, Calzaghe and Hatton are probably the only ones since Lewis that I can think of, aside from those three Froch is the only elite level fighter we've had.

Pretty sure u can class khan an elite level fighter, been fighting world level for a few years now and not dodged anyone.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm

It would be interesting to see a table of all the world champions in every division and organisation by country.

The UK would probable do quite well. Before boxing became a minority sport in Britain anyway.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:16 pm

We had a great boxing Olympics dont forget. Ive read that the amateur system in Britain is the envy of the world so it looks we should have a very bright future.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 pm

sparxz wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Haye, Calzaghe and Hatton are probably the only ones since Lewis that I can think of, aside from those three Froch is the only elite level fighter we've had.

Pretty sure u can class khan an elite level fighter, been fighting world level for a few years now and not dodged anyone.

Not quite for me, he's fought at world level but has lost to two guys who aren't anywhere near elite level.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:24 pm

sparxz wrote:

Not so sure about elite. He has 3 losses in a young career and was beaten 2 out of last 3 fights (although Peterson fight was a farce)

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down