The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Connacht last night

+8
Kingshu
KiaRose
SecretFly
profitius
LeinsterFan4life
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Artful_Dodger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
12 posters

Go down

Munster v Connacht last night Empty Munster v Connacht last night

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

Firstly found it strange that there wasn't a thread for this already.

Just watched the game back there this morning after watching it last night and wanted to bring up a few things regarding both teams.

1) ROG attacked the gainline. Hard.
He really did in all fairness he ran ball in two hands at the line, ok he didn't run straight but he drew guys. The drift defence thus drifted slower. I was impressed. He does need to utilise inside passes still but it was a massive, massive improvement. Also some nice kicks.

2) Tasty little scrumhalves.
Both starting 9's were outstanding. Marmion's quick breaks, tap and go's and crisp passing was excellent. He really could be on the Irish radar very soon. Sheridan was another who impressed. Far better than Williams and could challenge Murray in time. He had an almost Genia facet to his play in that he tried to get outside the pillar defence, drawing the second man and creating indecision and small scale overlaps. Really impressive decision making also and fully created POC's try.

3) You can't catch him he's the Gingerbread man.
POC was outstanding. I have been very critical of him regarding his style. I have felt and still believe I was right that his skills were poor, he was horrifically immobile and was poor in contact. I felt it was his maul, set piece and pick and drive game that made him a good player. Last night he ran good lines, he offloaded well, he was more dynamic than I have ever seen him. He was intelligent though which was what really got me, he has been known to get in first receiver at the wrong times, slowing down ball when it could be quick, staying tight when there was space out wide. His vision was considerably better I felt.

4) Connacht's constructive creativity could claim a couple of Cups in days to come.
I was hugely impressed with Connacht's creativity, not just backplay. Remember that sexy lineout move? Wow. Someone thought good and hard about that and they were very unlucky. Backs wise as well they were fantastic. They ran intelligent lines, multi-decoy and for the most part their skills were good (Henshaw was poor in this regard). I don't think I have ever seen one team throw so many skip passes in one game. They really utilised space effectively and can feel hugely aggrieved well more disappointed that they did not get a try or two because they deserved one and were unlucky not to get one.

5) Felix Jones is no longer a good player.
He was fantastic and one of my favourites but since his latest injury he has not come back the way he has from others. He kicks the ball more than he ever did, he beats less defenders than previously, he doesn't enter the line the way he used to either. He has fallen from grace from the Irish camp, with Kearney, Zebo, Henshaw and possibly Fitzgerald and Earls all being ahead of him for the Green15 shirt. He really needs to kick on because with Conway arriving and possibly Fitzgerald too he could find himself out of the XV and the 23.

What did other people think of the game? ANyone agree/disagree with the 5 points?

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht last night Empty Re: Munster v Connacht last night

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Didn't see the game unfortunately but heard O'Connell had a blinder.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

I would have given MotM to Munster 9 Sheridan but POC was verty good.

Munster won 22-0 but missed out on a bonus point, the fact that Connacht didn't score a point was the greatest injustice of the game though

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

I too was very disappointed with Felix Jones. I am a big fan but we might have to accept he is done after a couple too many injuries. POC was absolutely outstanding- if he plays like that against Quins he could could book a busy summer with the Lions.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

This is why i think its the perfect time for Elwood to go. Dont get me wrong he has done fantastic with Connacht but it seems that he has taken as far as he can.

They are just too damn inconsistent. This is a game that they could win. Also its time to stop playing in Musgrave park. What a poor turnout.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm

Munster looked good last night. The backline was inventive with Sheridan pulling the strings. The pack looked energised with POC there. His presense alone makes others play better. POC himself was very good and showed what Ireland and Munster have been missing all season. With more games he'll get better.

Munster took off Sheridan after 55min for some reason. On came Williams and although Williams played alright (he made no mistakes) Munster never looked like scoring again. I also couldn't understand leaving ROG on for the 80 min. Keatley came on to replace Jones with 15 min to go but didn't see much ball.

I thought Felix Jones played well last night. His chip and catch over the defense was one of the highlights of the match.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:This is why i think its the perfect time for Elwood to go. Dont get me wrong he has done fantastic with Connacht but it seems that he has taken as far as he can.

They are just too damn inconsistent. This is a game that they could win. Also its time to stop playing in Musgrave park. What a poor turnout.

Every game in Musgrave this season has had shocking weather. Also there has been no big games there this season and little or now promoting of matches.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:I too was very disappointed with Felix Jones. I am a big fan but we might have to accept he is done after a couple too many injuries. POC was absolutely outstanding- if he plays like that against Quins he could could book a busy summer with the Lions.

I agree felix is so far off the pace it is scary.

I agree a few more ofb those performances and poc will tour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

Agree with most of that pete.

Just about O'Connell. He's a certain size and a certain shape and he's going to have difficulty being as dynamic as perhpas people would want him to be. He'll manage it in certain games, in others you'll still be disappointed I'd guess.
But - he's been out for a reason and has probably had to work around that reason even when he was playing - ie, back issue. So post operation it's maybe easier for him to concentrate on the dynamic stuff now without (hopefully long term) the niggle of back trouble to keep his ambitions in check.

I was particularly impressed in a lineout when he reached high as usual but his back arched beautifully to capture a ball. He does seem more mobile there now...but easy does in Paul. Don't over-extend too much. We want this return to the fray to be of a long duration.

I really agree with Profitius too. Just his presence, chatting with the guys and them walking around encircling him, the pack looked like a Munster pack again. They had confidence in their step. That's his aura.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

i agree his build doesn't suit dynamism BUT when he slows the game down or orders narrow attacks because he personally isn't dynamic. That is wrong. Completely archaic. I was delighted to see him not do this. Really, really impressed.

A word should be had for Casey lualala too. not everyone's cup of tea but he was very good. His shimmy inside then accelerate outside is outstandingly effective at turning 2 v 2's in to 2 v 1's. It is such a valuable skill to have and he made some serious halfbreaks with the offload to maximize them

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:13 am

I didn't see the game, not just because I am in the UK; we had friends in for dinner.

But I am interested in the comments on Sheridan. I have been hearing good things about him from the Munster faithful and I see he has been added to the HEC squad. Duncan Williams never convinced me, even though he was young, inexperienced etc etc. I haven't seen much of Sheridan - just a bit of the game against Ospreys a few weeks ago. The Welsh commentators NEVER said his name; when he was subbed they simply told us that the Munster scrum-half has been replaced. I presume the problem is with "Cathal" rather than "Sheridan".

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:06 am

Marmion has been getting rave reviews all season, he seams to be another young up and coming Connacht player.

Only thing I worry about for him, is with Leinster having older SH's in Reddan and Boss, will they make a move for him?

I understand they have an up and coming SH, but will they look at Marmion to cover inbetween?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:48 am

Sheridan I agree with. A very good prospect and should be without a doubt our second choice scrummie. I cant understand why Duncan Williams is so popular with the Munster management. Marmion looked the better scrumhalf of the two though.

Felix Jones is looking very poor. He is in real danger of losing his place. I think that Denis Hurley is better fullback (one of our best offloaders) especially if we had Earls and Zebo in the flanks.

I think Musgrave Park still has its place. Cork has a bigger population than Limerick and can support a few games. The attendance was 8,200 in a 9,250 stadium. Thats a lot better than getting 12,000 into a 26,000 stadium in terms of atmosphere. It also helps keep us regional - Munster would be the biggest loser if we fully committed to either Cork or Limerick.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

Kingshu wrote:Marmion has been getting rave reviews all season, he seams to be another young up and coming Connacht player.

Only thing I worry about for him, is with Leinster having older SH's in Reddan and Boss, will they make a move for him?

I understand they have an up and coming SH, but will they look at Marmion to cover inbetween?

Sure what about Luke McGrath? Peter Stringer is still playing at the age of 35. There is no reason that we can't see aging Boss and Reddan become bench options behind McGrath in a year or two until a new player fills the void.

Look at Munster who have transitioned from Peter Stringer to Tomas O'Leary to Conor Murray with Cathal Sheridan as a reserve. We also tried out Duncan Williams.

Leinster don't need a foreign 9 I think.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

O'Connell looked notably bigger in the upper body to me. I didn't expect to see him back but I'm delighted for him and munster. Is it Glasgow next for munster? I would go with their first team for that. Best test possible before the QF

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:53 am

Standulstermen wrote:O'Connell looked notably bigger in the upper body to me. I didn't expect to see him back but I'm delighted for him and munster. Is it Glasgow next for munster? I would go with their first team for that. Best test possible before the QF

Yes we're away to Glasgow before taking on Harelquins.

I watched Sarries against Quins yesterday and we can win that game. My biggest worry is our lack of pace (no Zebo, no Earls). More than likely we will have Hurley on the wing with Ian Keatley at fullback and ROG as flyhalf.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Yep, i think Quins season is mirroring our own. Definite chance for munster there when in January I wouldn't have given them a hope. Do a number on Glasgow too while you're at it!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:28 am

red_stag Marmion is Irish, thats why I was thinking Leinster may be intrested, hopefully not though Reddan and Boss have a few years left yet.

Would Thomond Park, not have made more sense of the Connacht game? I'm just saying in terms making it easier for Connacht fans to travel to? Would it not be a bigger attandance (due to being an interpro, and easier for away fans to attend) than say V Glasgow/Edinburgh?

I think keeping Musgrave Park is a must, but think that maybe this would be one justified being at Thomond, o th eother hand you don't want all the inter-pros in Thomond, and Musgrave Park for Connacht makes sense that way.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

Kingshu wrote:red_stag Marmion is Irish, thats why I was thinking Leinster may be intrested, hopefully not though Reddan and Boss have a few years left yet.

Would Thomond Park, not have made more sense of the Connacht game? I'm just saying in terms making it easier for Connacht fans to travel to? Would it not be a bigger attandance (due to being an interpro, and easier for away fans to attend) than say V Glasgow/Edinburgh?

I think keeping Musgrave Park is a must, but think that maybe this would be one justified being at Thomond, o th eother hand you don't want all the inter-pros in Thomond, and Musgrave Park for Connacht makes sense that way.

Yea sorry I meant Leinster dont need to sign another 9 rather than a foreign 9. For now they have the players to go on.

Regarding Musgrave they need to have meaningful games too and this is an ideal game.

Interestingly I've been told that it is the Munster coaching staff who dictate the teams to play in Thomond/Musgrave not the blazers.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

I was at musgrave Saturday night and I didn't think the attendance was that bad considering the bitterly cold weather.

I'm starting to think that all the injuries have taking their toll on Felix Jones. He seems to have lost his zip. One paced and very ordinary again, he needs to up his game considerably.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 25 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

Good Summary Pete, couldnt anything extra agree with all the points being made.

It all leads to a bit of momentum leading into the quinns match. If we can beat Glasgow away this will only build.

Having POC back, possibly Zebo, ROG who has a point to prove and the fact that we will be almost able to put out a full first team Im starting to believe.

Sarries gave Quinns a right aul pasting on Sunday where they destoryed Quinns in the scrum. Not saying we will mind you but Im more confident than I was 6 weeks ago.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down