The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland

+4
Dolphin Ziggler
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
8 posters

Go down

Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland Empty Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland

Post by GSC Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

Had to happen really. Fast sinking towards the Championship.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland Empty Re: Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland

Post by GSC Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

Really don't know who'd be out there. Nobody springs to mind to make an instant impact like Hodgson at WBA. Curbishley out of semi retirement, Poyet was clearly tempted by Reading? Di Matteo?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland Empty Re: Martin O'Neill sacked by Sunderland

Post by GSC Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

Michael Appleton available Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Well whoever comes in is going to have to make an instant impact, even then might not be enough.

O'Neill just didn't seem enthusiastic like his old self, missing his old assistant John Robertson
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

My Old Man Said ‏@oldmansaid 1m
Nigel Adkins should have waited a week or so. Hahahaha #WrongJob
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

Matter of perspective. Reading are accepting that PL survival is highly unlikely. Adkins building for a fresh promotion crack.

Sunderland want impact now with a meh squad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

They are in a bleak position - even so took me by surpise.
Could poach 'Arry Wink. Steve Bruce again Shocked Mark Hughes Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm

Its a confusing mess. They seem unable to score, but have a reasonably good striker and a supply line of decent midfielders who can provide and score. Sessegnon is the player they need to hit form.

McDermott? Could go madcap and try Di Canio

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:21 pm

Schteve Mclaren early fav
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

Olly wrote:Schteve Mclaren early fav

Oh my. Take it they're not looking at motivational skills then?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:02 am

FreekShow wrote:

Or planning on staying up or going back up.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:08 am

GSC wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

I'd completely forgot about the mess he made of the Forest job until I noticed your post.

Can't see him getting it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:08 am

GSC wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

There's really not a lot out there for them. Do they go inexperience and youthful with the likes of Di Canio/Poyet or old but not really good in McLaren/Curbishley?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:09 am

Olly wrote:
GSC wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

There's really not a lot out there for them. Do they go inexperience and youthful with the likes of Di Canio/Poyet or old but not really good in McLaren/Curbishley?

Do you think they may look abroad ala Southampton?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:10 am

Di Matteo
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:12 am

I can't see Di Matteo taking that job if I'm honest, and I don't think he's who Sunderland would have lined up.

I dunno Freek, it's why the decision baffles me a bit, literally no idea who could come in and do better.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:33 am

Curbishley is a better manager than hes given credit for really, but I'd be surprised if he went up north. I get the feeling West Ham knocked the stuffing out of him, but the money he got when he sued us has set him up now. Thus, he wont go out of his way to manage a team too far from home or below the standards he has set for himself.

McLaren gets unfairly slated too, his achievements outweight his poor periods for me. Both would probably hit the ground running and know the situation pretty well too.

At least Di Canio would be fired up. Paolo wont take lazy players, he wont take dispassionate players and he will inject some verve into them. Long run? Who knows, he gets judged on his personality and its hard to tell where his potential in management is.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:41 am

Chris, who saved West Ham from relegation in 07; Carlos Tevez or Curbishley?

I'd go with the former.

Curbishley and Charlton were a match made in heaven. Similar to Pulis and Stoke right now.

I genuinely believe that Di Canio wil wind up at Upton Park. Fate and all that...

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

Di Canio will wind up at Upton Park? Or
Di Canio will wind up Upton Park?

Probably both! Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

Stupid sacking, complete joke. Now we have to have Poyet getting in the press this week for his personal ego again.

Alan Curbishley should take the job until the end of the season IMO and then Sunderland should plan for someone new over the summer. Experience manager and has got an ok record of keeping sides up.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

Bookies think its Di Canio heavily
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

I've never considered O'Neil as clever as he seems to think he is but still find the timing of his sacking bizarre and most likely harmful.

Makes me think back to when the Wolves Board pressed the panic button to get rid of Mick McCarthy. Couldn't get anyone to replace him and ended up appointing Terry Connor, a decent football man but never a Premier League manager. I'm sure the Black Cats will have a few willing to take the job but doubt they'll be of the quality that Sunderland really need ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:02 pm

FreekShow wrote:Chris, who saved West Ham from relegation in 07; Carlos Tevez or Curbishley?

I'd go with the former.

Curbishley and Charlton were a match made in heaven. Similar to Pulis and Stoke right now.

I genuinely believe that Di Canio wil wind up at Upton Park. Fate and all that...

Pardew didnt play Tevez and Noble, Curbs did. And then he made us solid before getting sacked. The man wont win you the league but he will settle a decent team into a reasonable premier league package.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:32 pm

Think the 07 part of that post should be noted.

Long long time ago now. Curbishley been out too long would be a huge risk to take him on in the situation Sunderland are in
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 31 Mar 2013, 3:29 pm

Thats not that long, football hasnt changed that much in the intervening period. People have been playing 4-2-3-1 in the Premier League for a long time. Especially when hes competing with names like McLaren, Di Canio and Poyet.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sun 31 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Di Canio's supposedly in talks for the job. Massive gamble by Sunderland in my opinion. Reminds me a little of Ince's appointment at Blackburn a few years back. High profile player who's managerial career started well, but severely lacking in experience.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:16 pm

Anyone who dresses like he earns 3.50 p/w should be sacked without a second though.

Hopefully Lambert is next. Then Pulis.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down