The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach.

+6
Jenifer McLadyboy
Sin é
ME-109
GoodinTightSpaces
pete (buachaill on eirne)
red_stag
10 posters

Go down

Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach. Empty Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach.

Post by red_stag Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am

An interesting interview yesterday with a typically blunt ROG who says it as he sees it.

He divulged that he may hang up the boots at the end of the season letting Keatley and Hanrahan battle it out at Munster while the Madigan - Jackson - Sexton triangle will be the interest for Ireland.

I don't know if I will play on after this season, Munster have made an offer. What I have to decide is whether or not I have the hunger to give it 100pc for another season. I genuinely don't know at the moment what I want to do, and it'll be three or four weeks at the earliest before I make a decision.

The ball is very much in his court and you have to respect his outlook: If he can't be still considered first choice at Munster and good enough for Ireland maybe the hunger to play just won't be there.

That moves onto talk of the future and ROG has announced his intention to one day be Munster Head Coach.

I want to coach Munster, I'd love to. It's my home team. There are, though, steps I'll have to take before that can happen. I only know one way, the Munster way. In order to be the best possible coach you need to see different cultures and different teams and how they operate. So I'll have to go to come back.

What I liked was the admission that he may have to spread his wings and experience new rugby mentalities. That same level of preparation he always showed on the pitch will serve him well as a coach (as will his honesty and ego).

Should ROG give it another year or hang up the boots while still playing at a good level? How do you think he'd do as a coach?

Full article at http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ogara-i-want-to-coach-munster-29173320.html
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach. Empty Re: Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach.

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 am

What I liked was the admission that he may have to spread his wings and experience new rugby mentalities.

Completely agree with this Stag, that is the most important point in my books. As a coach you can't be a one trick pony having a style is one thing but you have to be able to adapt and understand the styles of others

Back to top Go down

Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach. Empty Re: Ronan O'Gara to Retire. Wants to be Munster Head Coach.

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

from what i hear he is popular amoung his piers but like anything we wont know if he will be a good coach until he starts.
cant see why he wouldnt be a good coach. great knowledge of the game. happy to see he acknowledges he weakness at the moment and is showing that desire to deversify his outlook.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 am

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:from what i hear he is popular amoung his piers but like anything we wont know if he will be a good coach until he starts.
cant see why he wouldnt be a good coach. great knowledge of the game. happy to see he acknowledges he weakness at the moment and is showing that desire to deversify his outlook.

Very true but I'd have a lot of confidence in him being a very good kicking coach at the very least, he has adapted his style a few times in that regard and re-learned different things. I think at the very least he would do well in this role.

Not so sure he'd make a great coach of defence Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 am

I think his personality is a bit too much like Roy Keane and I am not sure he has the mentality to be a good coach. Its one thing having a laugh with BOD, POC and the lads but I think he would struggle to keep his temper and impatience in check when things aren't going well.

Whether he likes it or not he needs a mentor like Kidney (in terms of personality) to show him the ropes and he definitely could do with a few years in France or England or even in the SH.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

possibly DOD.

i have often heard that it is the average players that make better coachs as it is easier for them to see other players weakness's while the better players expect all their players to play at the level they did as players.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 am

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:possibly DOD.

i have often heard that it is the average players that make better coachs as it is easier for them to see other players weakness's while the better players expect all their players to play at the level they did as players.

Ha, I can confirm that for you right away! king

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
GoodinTightSpaces wrote:possibly DOD.

Ha, I can confirm that for you right away! king
were you a class player or are you a class coach so Pete Very Happy

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I am a pretty poor player but this year I've learned I am a pretty good coach.
I'm pretty small and came to the game late so some of my core skills just aren't as good as others but I have a pretty good awareness of space and know how to use it. I am also a teacher and am able to get a point across pretty easily.

Not sure if it is a result of this or just that I had never tried it before but I actually prefer coaching to playing now

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 pm

DOD wrote:I think his personality is a bit too much like Roy Keane and I am not sure he has the mentality to be a good coach. Its one thing having a laugh with BOD, POC and the lads but I think he would struggle to keep his temper and impatience in check when things aren't going well.

Whether he likes it or not he needs a mentor like Kidney (in terms of personality) to show him the ropes and he definitely could do with a few years in France or England or even in the SH.

I think Roy Keane would have thrived as a rugby coach (or GAA) - soccer players are just spoilt, though Ferguson seems to lay down the law and it works for Man Utd.

A few year ago he said he fancied going to France for a year or two as a coach (as he has French). According to Bernard Jackman, he is really rated over there, so should get into a club no bother.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:35 pm

fair play Pete. who are you playing with

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Sin é wrote:
DOD wrote:I think his personality is a bit too much like Roy Keane and I am not sure he has the mentality to be a good coach. Its one thing having a laugh with BOD, POC and the lads but I think he would struggle to keep his temper and impatience in check when things aren't going well.

I think Roy Keane would have thrived as a rugby coach (or GAA) - soccer players are just spoilt, though Ferguson seems to lay down the law and it works for Man Utd.

A few year ago he said he fancied going to France for a year or two as a coach (as he has French). According to Bernard Jackman, he is really rated over there, so should get into a club no bother.

Yeah some time in France would be good. Its something we need more of (like Jackman and Davidson) to learn the ropes and maybe get in under one of the main coaches in the Top 14.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 pm

DOD wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Yeah some time in France would be good. Its something we need more of (like Jackman and Davidson) to learn the ropes and maybe get in under one of the main coaches in the Top 14.
Interesting points lads. My initial thought was Roy Keane also.

Hard to see Rog being mediocre. He will either sing or suck as a coach I would say.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
DOD wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Interesting points lads. My initial thought was Roy Keane also.

Hard to see Rog being mediocre. He will either sing or suck as a coach I would say.

Sounds about right. I think if he fails as a coach he would certainly be an entertaining pundit....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I wonder if the new Irish head coach, whoever that might be, might give ROG employment as a replacement kicking coach for Tainton? I don't really see what he has brought to the job and it would give ROG exposure to a coaching enviroment without the sort of pressure that comes from being an attack, defense, backs coach etc etc.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Kicking couch could be a good shout alright. Didn’t Andy Farrell start off as a kicking coach?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:33 pm

red_stag wrote:

I want to coach Munster, I'd love to. It's my home team. There are, though, steps I'll have to take before that can happen. I only know one way, the Munster way. In order to be the best possible coach you need to see different cultures and different teams and how they operate. So I'll have to go to come back.

That blunt, opinionated, and coldly honest opinion didn't get too much airplay on the other thread discussing O'Gara and what he might say in an interview.

Maybe because it was blunt, opinionated and coldly honest in its stark modesty and humility? That doesn't sell copy when you mention O'Gara.

He was clearly admitting that - yeah, Munster, and even he, might have an overly introverted view of how rugby should be played/prepared for - and he'd need to learn a lot more to feel comfortable enough to take on a Head Coaching role. This from a guy who has played rugby now for almost 20 years. Arrogant?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:
red_stag wrote:

That blunt, opinionated, and coldly honest opinion didn't get too much airplay on the other thread discussing O'Gara and what he might say in an interview.

Maybe because it was blunt, opinionated and coldly honest in its stark modesty and humility? That doesn't sell copy when you mention O'Gara.

He was clearly admitting that - yeah, Munster, and even he, might have an overly introverted view of how rugby should be played/prepared for - and he'd need to learn a lot more to feel comfortable enough to take on a Head Coaching role. This from a guy who has played rugby now for almost 20 years. Arrogant?

Totally...shoot him

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 pm

I really don't see the big deal with anything he had to say. He has been enveloped in the 'Munster way' for a long time and recognises to be a good coach he needs to experience other cultures. Nothing wrong with that thinking. Look at how some Munster fans, medja and commentators have decried Penney for daring to play in a different fashion than what they are used to. It takes time and an open mind. Whether ROG has what it takes to be a great coach is another matter. I certainly wouldn't bet against him.

I wish current first choice Irish players would consider doing the same going to ply their trade elsewhere.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:I really don't see the big deal with anything he had to say. He has been enveloped in the 'Munster way' for a long time and recognises to be a good coach he needs to experience other cultures. Nothing wrong with that thinking. Look at how some Munster fans, medja and commentators have decried Penney for daring to play in a different fashion than what they are used to. It takes time and an open mind. Whether ROG has what it takes to be a great coach is another matter. I certainly wouldn't bet against him.

I wish current first choice Irish players would consider doing the same going to ply their trade elsewhere.

Ah this thread was going ok, Hookism..I think! ..I don't think he was getting it in the neck here. Blame me for just alluding to the other thread in passing and saying his more humble side didn't get a mention there.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Fly, I don't want my sportsmen to be humble. I want them to have giant egos and be insufferable for it, but also able to back it up. Anyone who says 'bejeezus, I'm just happy to be here' or 'it was a team effort'. No, tell the truth lad. ROG said he was one of the key men responsible for Munster and Irish success in the european cup. Humble? Not a chance. Accurate? 100% and good on ROG for giving bland media statements.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Fly, I don't want my sportsmen to be humble. I want them to have giant egos and be insufferable for it, but also able to back it up.

Hey well two out of three ain't bad I suppose ..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:fair play Pete. who are you playing with

I played with Greystones (County Wicklow) up until February or so but just got a bit busy will probably work hard during the summer and get back involved come August

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Fly, I don't want my sportsmen to be humble. I want them to have giant egos and be insufferable for it, but also able to back it up. Anyone who says 'bejeezus, I'm just happy to be here' or 'it was a team effort'. No, tell the truth lad. ROG said he was one of the key men responsible for Munster and Irish success in the european cup. Humble? Not a chance. Accurate? 100% and good on ROG for giving bland media statements.

Let's try 'Rounded Individual' then?

God, I'm tired. Wink

Point again being. He's not a Pantomime devil...all one colour and always spitting fire. He's who he is. One side of his personality I mentioned on the other thread - and I said I liked it. On this thread he shows he knows and admits his limitations... He could have been all showboaty about Munster too and how he'd stroll into the job but for a few private issues he'd have to deal with for a few years first. No, he said he'd need to learn a lot more, specifically non-Munster thoughts!

He's a rounded Individual - high opinion of himself..and then knowing it might all be bluster...but saying so...in public.

Plus..he WAS one of the key men responsible for Munster and Ireland success - it's true. I laughed at how that line was attacked on the other thread. It's true. He's one of our damned "Golden Generation" horde.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down