The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is going to win Premiership Final

+11
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Ozzy3213
B91212
thebluesmancometh
ChequeredJersey
Looseheaded
Bathman_in_London
offload
Sam
george doors
15 posters

Go down

Who is going to win Premiership Final Empty Who is going to win Premiership Final

Post by george doors Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:31 am

Nearly at the end of the Prem. Who is your money on, I have a small bet on Quins.

george doors

Back to top Go down

Who is going to win Premiership Final Empty Re: Who is going to win Premiership Final

Post by Sam Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

I'm guessing Quins will have to play away at Tigers. As a quins fan I think we could win that, but it's going to be bloody tough!

My heart says Quins, head says Sarries.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Who is going to win Premiership Final Empty Re: Who is going to win Premiership Final

Post by offload Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

Leicester.
With only one to play for now - I think they'll beat Sarries in the final.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

In a word. Sarries.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

Have LI left it too late to make a push then? Leprechaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

The fans.

*crowd groans*

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:23 am

Saracens. Unfortunately. Though obviously I have a small bet and hope that we (Quins) will man up and actually play some rugby and win it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

I can't see any of them beating Ponty the way theyve played this year....

Oh you'r talking about the wrong premiership, pish Aviva!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

Saracens. No issue with that, think they are currently the best English team and for me deserve it. If Saints do end up playing them in the semi's then I hope we ask Gloucester if we can borrow their 10, 11, 12 & 14 so we can at least try to be competitive Wink.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:52 am

Saracens.

Next question please.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:46 pm

Can't see past Sarries tbh. If they don't win then ill be shocked!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:49 am

yappysnap wrote:

Prepare to be shocked.

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:00 am

george doors wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

Prepare to be shocked.

We all turn into beshocked?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

LondonTiger wrote:
george doors wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

Prepare to be shocked.

Sarries are the Borg?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:04 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
george doors wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

Prepare to be shocked.

Sarries are the Borg?

It would explain one hell of a lot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sun 21 Apr 2013, 5:27 am

I think my little bet on Quins looks pretty good...

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 21 Apr 2013, 5:33 am

Can they win at the Allianz?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 21 Apr 2013, 6:43 am

Hard to say about Quins. Despite the score yesterday, they have been skidding a bit into the tail end of the season. To me, they appeared a tired team.

I don't have a strong feeling about which team will win the playoffs (which the Premiership wants), as I think all teams have a shot this season. But Saracens have been the best team all season. With that in mind, I would have to pick them, despite my being a Saints fan.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:51 am

Aren't Quins more likely to be traveling to Welford Road, where we've won the last 3 or 4 on the bounce??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:30 am

yappysnap wrote:Aren't Quins more likely to be traveling to Welford Road, where we've won the last 3 or 4 on the bounce??

Not if you lose to Saints.

Also it is just two wins in a row at WR - same as Sarries had before last years semi Very Happy

We are very good at winning semis, lousy at winning finals.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:35 am

I think this depends which Harlequins and Northampton teams turn up in the semis. With Saracens and Leicester you pretty much know what you're going to get, and the variation in performance is less than that of the other sides - their consistency is why they are at the top. However both Saints and Quins are capable of beating them if they play at their best.

Northampton have a power pack which, when they get in their groove, are virtually unplayable. They were extremely impressive against an admittedly poor Sale this weekend. They are also capable of some pretty poor performances, as seen against Leicester a few weeks ago, a result which will undoubtedly play on their minds should they travel to Welford Road for their semi. Their backs are still yet to really click but there is undoubted talent with the Pisi brothers, Foden and young Elliott who looks a great finisher. Their front row, Lawes and Wood are the best in the business when going well, while the remainder of the pack are very capable at this level.

Quins have been a bit flakey in recent weeks and I think part of the issue has been a lack of clinical finishing, perhaps going for the glory ball a little early or trying one offload too many. As a squad this season was always going to be a real test with a far greater proportion of their side called up by England, as well as a greater involvement in Europe thanks to a relatively straightforward group (although we saw in the Amlin 1/4 final that Biarritz are no mugs, making Quins double over them a lot more impressive in my eyes). They still play the game best suited to this time of year and at their best they will beat any side. Have always struggled a bit against Sarries attritional style but I think Quins possess the ability to keep their title.

In summary, the playoffs are very open in my opinion, and I look forward to them. As a side note, the Lions squad will have been named by this point to we could see a bit of a dip in performance level as the top players are no longer striving to prove themselves, their fates having already been set. Conversely, this could result in a release of inhibitions and an improvement in standard as the burden is lifted. Don't know which way it will swing, but could provide an interesting sub plot. (Prediction - Danny Care will miss out on Lions selection but will star in the playoffs making the decision look a bit silly.)

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:26 am

jeffwinger I disagree. I don't think the playoffs are open as things stand.

Perhaps if Leicester or Sarries picks up quite a few injuries but that's what I think will be Saints and Quins' best chances.

I think the stats say that only 3 sides have one away in the playoffs since they have come into fruition (heard this on ESPN I think) - Saracens were one of them (2009-10). Not sure about the other two.

Leicester have made 8 consecutive finals. They rarely lose these business end games. Leicester have a really good record vs Saints too. Leicester will be extra motivated to beat Quins.

Saracens with very impressive head to heads against both Saints and Quins will be confident of victory against either.Plus Allianz Park is already proving itself to be a daunting challenge to opposition. Sarries averaged over 30 points there. New pitch of course helps. Saints haven't played there.

Oh and both Saracens and Leicester are in better form. Okay both lost on the weekend but against opposition with more to play for and away from home - not by much either. In the grand scheme of things the loss for both should matter very little.

The injury to Fraser for Sarries worries me more.

Quins also have to worry about the injury to Robshaw.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:47 am

beshocked wrote:jeffwinger I disagree. I don't think the playoffs are open as things stand.

Perhaps if Leicester or Sarries picks up quite a few injuries but that's what I think will be Saints and Quins' best chances.

I think the stats say that only 3 sides have one away in the playoffs since they have come into fruition (heard this on ESPN I think) - Saracens were one of them (2009-10). Not sure about the other two.

Leicester have made 8 consecutive finals. They rarely lose these business end games. Leicester have a really good record vs Saints too. Leicester will be extra motivated to beat Quins.

Saracens with very impressive head to heads against both Saints and Quins will be confident of victory against either.Plus Allianz Park is already proving itself to be a daunting challenge to opposition. Sarries averaged over 30 points there. New pitch of course helps. Saints haven't played there.

Oh and both Saracens and Leicester are in better form. Okay both lost on the weekend but against opposition with more to play for and away from home - not by much either. In the grand scheme of things the loss for both should matter very little.

The injury to Fraser for Sarries worries me more.

Quins also have to worry about the injury to Robshaw.

Leicester beat Glaws at Castle Grim in a semi a few seasons ago.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:52 am

I agree Saracens and Leicester are the favourites and rightly so. But I wouldn't be particularly surprised by any result and as I said previously, I think a good performance from Saints or especially Quins could definitely see them make the final.

The league has been relatively open all year. The final table is a fair reflection on the standard of teams but the biggest difference between the best teams and the lesser ones has been consistency. On their day anyone can beat anyone, particularly among the top 4.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:15 am

tigerleghorn doesn't surprise me that the Tigers could do that.

jeffwinger you might not be surprised by any result would I would be if either Tigers or Sarries lose.

I disagree again. You need to look at the head to heads. Plus the records. Oh and form.

You can say that Quins and Saints might win but it's unlikely.

Sarries are unbeaten at "home" this season currently. Leicester don't lose in the playoff semi finals. Sarries have rarely lost to either Quins or Saints recently - even less likely to happen at Allianz Park.

Leicester have such a strong record vs Saints. Perhaps you are pinning your hopes on Quins beating Leicester at WR but Leicester are another beast in the playoffs.

If either Leicester or Sarries lose it will be a big upset.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:19 am

I am confident for the semi - though fear Quins more than Saints.

Just cannot see us winning in the final Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:31 am

LondonTiger why so pessimistic? If both Sarries and Tigers make it to the final I think it will be yet another really nervy battle. Both finals were so close.

Tigers scrum always has me worried. I am not actually sure the best way Sarries can hurt Tigers. You have a good lineout so can't target that easily. Breakdown work is pretty strong. Scrum is obviously a no no.

Perhaps target the back three constantly I suppose with aggressive kick chase?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:01 am

I missed the finals we won against LI and Gloucester, so my recent run of finals is:

2012 AP Quins - Lost
2011 GP Sarries - Lost
2010 GP Sarries - Won (yay)
2009 HEC Leinster - Lost
2008 GP Wasps - Lost
2007 HEC Wasps - Hammered.

As I said, a good semi final team but a lousy finalist. As I have promised my younger daughter we will go if we are in it (and after her trauma this year not a promise I can break) I will be the jonah.

Oh and my pessimism is always guaranteed to cheer up Equo Jimpy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:10 am

Londontiger just thank your lucky stars at least you get to those finals!

Got to be in it to win it.

I would rather play Quins or Saints in an AP final than Tigers. Tigers have been so ridiculously consistent.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:41 am

LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Aren't Quins more likely to be traveling to Welford Road, where we've won the last 3 or 4 on the bounce??

Not if you lose to Saints.

Also it is just two wins in a row at WR - same as Sarries had before last years semi Very Happy

We are very good at winning semis, lousy at winning finals.

And if you lose and we win you might be coming to the Stoop
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:42 am

True.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down