The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring of Honor introduce new match type

+5
Kay Fabe
Brady12
Mr Prefect
AberdeenSteve
ADMIN
9 posters

Go down

Ring of Honor introduce new match type Empty Ring of Honor introduce new match type

Post by ADMIN Wed 04 May 2011, 8:58 pm

On May 6th in Dearborn, MI, ROH is bringing a new match concept to the show. They will debut the Double Danger Scramble Match at the event, which will be a six-man match. The match will start with two guys in the ring, and when a competitor leaves the ring, a new competitor can enter the ring as a legal competitor. To win the match, you must score two pins. If you lose a pinfall, you can still compete in the match. If a competitor is disqualified at any point during the bout, he will be eliminated from the bout.

May 6th in Dearborn, Michigan at the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center:
* The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) vs. The American Wolves (ROH champion Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards)
* No DQ: El Generico vs. Roderick Strong
* First Blood Match: The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express
* ROH Tag Team champions Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas vs. Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly (non title)
* Christopher Daniels vs. Colt Cabana
* Homicide vs. Tommaso Ciampa
* Double Danger Scramble Match
* Steve Corino will address the ROH fans

May 7th in Toronto, Ontario at the Ted Reeves Arena:
* ROH champion Eddie Edwards vs. Chris Hero
* ROH Tag Team champions Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin, vs. Jay and Mark Briscoe
* Davey Richards vs. Kenny King
* Larry Sweeney Tribute Match: Colt Cabana vs. Delirious
* Christopher Daniels vs. El Generico
* Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kyle O'Reilly
* Steve Corino vs. Prodigy Mike Bennett
* Also scheduled to appear are Michael Elgin, Truth Martini, The Embassy and more

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Ring of Honor introduce new match type Empty Re: Ring of Honor introduce new match type

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 04 May 2011, 9:23 pm

Man I cannot wait for this show, going to be unbelievable!

So many quality matches;

No DQ: El Generico v Roderick Strong
WGTT v Cole and Reilly
Hero v Edwards.

Going to be brilliant! heart

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Ring of Honor introduce new match type Empty Re: Ring of Honor introduce new match type

Post by Mr Prefect Wed 04 May 2011, 10:01 pm

Is it on TV? How/where do I watch?

Cheers

Mr Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu 05 May 2011, 12:14 am

Sounds like it'll last an eternity... Just watch a re-run of wrestlemania 12 iron man match at Lear you'll be assured of great action

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 05 May 2011, 1:15 am

You're one of the very few I've saw that likes that Iron Man match, I don't even think i enjoyed it at the time, it was a great effort both put in but for me it just didn't connect and definitely hasn't stood the test of time IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 05 May 2011, 9:10 am

the-gaffer wrote:You're one of the very few I've saw that likes that Iron Man match, I don't even think i enjoyed it at the time, it was a great effort both put in but for me it just didn't connect and definitely hasn't stood the test of time IMO

Totally agree. I think it's the most overrated match in history. It wasn't a bad match, but it wasn't a great one in my opinion.

I did an article about this on 606RIP. Here's what I said if you're interested:

"For me, one that really jumps out is the Ironman match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. I think history has looked favourably upon it, as the clash of the WWF's two biggest stars of that era, Michaels' first title win, and with all the stuff that followed after between the two.

But the match itself really dragged for me. This was in large part to the backstage bickering that was going on; both wrestlers refused to lose the first fall, hence the overtime finish where Bret was given the "out" that he'd have won with the Sharpshooter if the time limit hadn't expired. There was a lot of mistrust in the ring (Michaels was clearly laying in stiff shots at one point) which I thought hurt the flow of the match, and the concept of an hour-long match was alien to the company, which really dampened crowd heat. It also was a match that in some ways didn't suit Bret and Michaels, especially Michaels. His matches were high energy affairs, and this one just could not be like that because he couldn't go at his usual pace for an hour. Bret, meanwhile, had wrestled 60 minute matches earlier in his career but was in his 40s by this point so it was a difficult task for him too.

The ending of the match also didn't work for me at all. I don't think the issue of a draw had been addressed beforehand; the rules of the match were that the winner would be the one who got the most falls in an hour, therefore surely in the event of a draw Bret should have kept the title?"

As for the ROH line-ups, they just keep taking unknowns and creating stars and matches that their fans want to see. I wish WWE and TNA had more confidence in their own abilities to do the same.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 05 May 2011, 9:22 am

Crippled

I have to disagree with you on that Iron Man Match. I still think it's a classic, and I think the story of Shawn not being strategic enough to last the 60 without making many mistakes was played out well. Instead he came out of the blocks with some mat wrestling which shocked Bret and had him on the backfoot. Meanwhile the audience were waiting and waiting and waiting for that one mistake that would let Bret in. It eventually came, but with less than 1 minute to go and it nearly cost him.

The restart also helped to make the Shawn title win all the more euphoric for his followers (it wasn't for me, I hated him). It was taken away from them one minute and the next the chance was alive again. Michaels was rejuvenated and boyhood dream was fulfilled. Brilliant story, well executed IMO.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 05 May 2011, 10:07 am

Fair enough liverbnz, there's no right or wrong on this subject and there are plenty of people on each side of the discussion.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 05 May 2011, 10:11 am

This looks awesome, will defo try and watch this for sure.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 05 May 2011, 11:34 am

Hero wrote:On May 6th in Dearborn, MI, ROH is bringing a new match concept to the show. They will debut the Double Danger Scramble Match at the event, which will be a six-man match. The match will start with two guys in the ring, and when a competitor leaves the ring, a new competitor can enter the ring as a legal competitor. To win the match, you must score two pins. If you lose a pinfall, you can still compete in the match. If a competitor is disqualified at any point during the bout, he will be eliminated from the bout.

I must be stupid because I don't really get this concept?!

So its a 6 man match but only two compete at any one time? If you get pinned you're not out of the match but the winner needs to pin two people or one person twice? Do submissions count? Are there any count outs? So theoretically every man can be pinned once and still win?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 05 May 2011, 11:36 am

It's just going to be an insane spot fest. Can't wait!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down