The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster v Biarritz

+23
Allty
Artful_Dodger
asoreleftshoulder
thebluesmancometh
Rory_Gallagher
wales606
wolfball
SecretFly
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
dublin_dave
MDB
Golden
Feckless Rogue
debaters1
Mickado
rodders
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Ledge the ledgebag
Notch
Gibson
Jenifer McLadyboy
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leinster v Biarritz Empty Leinster v Biarritz

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

OK. The great Sexton v Madigan debate begins.

Shared starts for me with Sexton starting this week and Madigan next, then all bets are off.

::
Match Preview by Editor
Leinster team to face Biarritz Olympique...
The Leinster team to face Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque in Saturday afternoon's sold out Amlin Challenge Cup semi-final in the RDS (KO: 2.30pm) has been named...
Leo Cullen, who passed the 200 cap mark in the recent victory over Munster, will lead an experienced line up in a side which shows a number of changes from the one selected for the bonus point victory away to Zebre last weekend.

Ian Madigan forms an all Blackrock College midfield pairing with Brian O'Driscoll who will make his 83rd European appearance and now lies just four appearances behind second placed Shane Horgan on the all-time provincial list. Gordon D'Arcy is ruled out due to a calf strain but it is hoped that the Wexford man will fully recover in time for the visit of Ospreys next weekend.

The back-row unit sees Jamie Heaslip partnering fellow Ireland internationals Shane Jennings and Kevin McLaughlin with Heaslip set to make his 163rd appearance (and his 60th in Europe) for the province. Cian Healy and Mike Ross form an all-Ireland front row alongside hooker Richardt Strauss.

Five of the Leinster replacements have come through the province's Academy.

Saturday's game is a sell out and there will be no tickets on sale on the day.

In addition to Sky Sports 1 who will show the game live on Saturday, the Official Leinster Supporters Club (OLSC) can confirm the following international broadcast arrangements for supporters around the world.

UK & Ireland - Live on Sky Sports 1 from 2.30pm Saturday
Italy - Live on Sky Sports Italia 2 from 3.30pm CET Saturday
Asia - Live on Setanta Asia from 9.30pm HKT Saturday
New Zealand - Live on The Rugby Channel from 1.30am Sunday
USA - Delayed on Fox Soccer Plus from 6.30pm ET Saturday
USA - (Subscription) - Live on Fox Soccer 2 Go from 9.20am ET Saturday
Australia, Africa and Canada - No coverage
Radio - Newstalk, RTE Radio 1, on radio, online at www.rte.ie and via smart phone app

Our bases in London (Porterhouse Covent Garden), Birmingham (Oh Velvet), Dubai (McGettigans) and Christchurch (Monza Sports Bar) will all be showing the game live. In New York (Madhatter Saloon) the game will be shown delayed at 6.30pm on Saturday.

Further information from the OLSC for supporters abroad can be found HERE

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Ian Madigan
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Isaac Boss

1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Jack McGrath
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Quinn Roux
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: John Cooney
22: Andrew Goodman
23: Andrew Conway

BIARRITZ OLYMPIQUE: 15: Bosch, 14: Ngwenya, 13: Baby, 12: Traille, 11: Brew, 10: Barraque, 9: Yachvili; 1: Synaeghel
2: Heguy, 3: Broster, 4: E Lund, 5: Taele, 6: Dubarry, 7: Lakafia, 8: Harinordoquy CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS: 16: August, 17: Van Staden, 18: Gomez Kodela, 19: Marie, 20: Lauret, 21: Lesgourgues, 22: Burotu, 23: Thomas

REFEREE: Wayne Barnes (RFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Greg Garner, Paul Dix (both RFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Tim Wigglesworth (RFU), 5th OFFICIAL: Robin Goodliffe (RFU), TMO: Graham Hughes (RFU)

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Biarritz Empty Re: Leinster v Biarritz

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

Yes. That's our strongest possible team. With some great options on the bench. Ja.

Biarritz are big bullies. But they wont bully us, not with that Leinster pack on the field, not at our place. Oh no.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:26 pm

So much for the "great Sexton v Madigan debate"

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

No debate required. Jonny is the best 10 in the NH by a Km. Madigan is his muse. For now anyway.

Bring him on in the 2nd-half and let him do his kind of particular damage.

Jeezuz we are so blessed with 2 WC 10s. For the rest of the season like.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

No! Don't pick Cullen and Toner. One or other. Roux MUST start. Ballast is the name of the game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:36 pm

Yeah, did think about that, but Leo and Toner do a pretty good job every time they are paired recently. Toner is getting stronger and more of a nuisance around the field. He getting far more involved and has developed a harder physical edge to his game now. He is unmissable at the lineout.

I say stick with Toner and replace Leo on 50 with Roux.

Jenno is so right for this game. He' ll love it.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:40 pm

I'd like to see Dom Ryano come in for Jenno. I know Ryano isn't really tried and trusted but Jenno has looked weak in the last few matches. Mclaughlin should be dropped down to the academy to learn how to tackle. Even with that his lack of pace would still be a massive problem! While Toner is still an awful second row, Cullen isn't really any cop either, so I'm not sure who should be replaced.

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:44 pm

I'll have some of what Ledge is havin'. That must be some good schitt man. OK

WHAT?

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:49 pm

Regardless of my opinion on Jenno and Toner, you must agree on some level with my criticism (albeit exaggerated) of Mclaughlin

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

I hope Ryan is good enough to replace Jenno. Really do. Hope he's learning the craft from him. He's an animal in the tackle.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm

Ledge the ledgebag wrote:Regardless of my opinion on Jenno and Toner, you must agree on some level with my criticism (albeit exaggerated) of Mclaughlin

He's been burned a few times over the last few games, yeah. I agree.

But I think that has more to do with our generally porous defence of late really. The defensive structure we built, honed and hardened, and used to win Heinos with, is breaking down.
Its been a real downer in the recent rise. Zebre with 3 tries? Come on.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

What winds me up about Toner is his hands in open play. The guy can really slaughter good attacking play. His lineout is fine most of the time but I really don't rate Toner, he's just so clumsy!

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:48 pm

Wow Ledge I really disagree with your assessment of Toner.

I think he is underrated and I have come to accept that but he is far better than you give him credit for. His hands for one are one of his strong points, for a lot of early last season Leinster had a ploy of passing to a forward off a ruck, this forward would have multi option plays going on around him.

a) pass to a second forward outside coming from out to in
b) pass inside to the winger
c) carry the ball himself
d) screen pass behind that second forward to the 10
e) pass to the 9 wrapping around

Toner and Heaslip were comfortably our best players at this. Toner still is one of our better players of charging at the line and passing before contact to a forward just outside. His handling is exceptional for most front 5 players, I can only think of Ryan and if you include Henderson, Henderson having better hands than Toner. Possibly Best too actually.

He is a good lineout option but is poor at getting up on opposition ball which is something that he gets off lightly on. This and his work in the offensive maul.

His ball carrying is hugely improved and he makes more metres than people give him credit for. He is surprisingly good at the breakdown and tackle for such a big lad.

Many guys give our locks a hard time and yes they are not World Class, not even close, but they do fit our system better than some other World Class locks fit the systems of their teams.

Roux has looked pretty slow and lumbering from what I have seen, he also tackles with his hands rather than full arms!? WTF.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:12 pm

Toner's hands won us the away game in Treviso in September. Caught Sexton's restart which set up the winning drop goal. He's not perfect, sometimes he's frustrating, but his hands are good.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Toner's hands won us the away game in Treviso in September. Caught Sexton's restart which set up the winning drop goal. He's not perfect, sometimes he's frustrating, but his hands are good.

What is he 27?? He still has some time to develop and get a bit 'meaner'

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:51 am

Gibson wrote:No debate required. Jonny is the best 10 in the NH by a Km. Madigan is his muse. For now anyway.

Owen Farrel was nominated for the IRB Player of the Year award, has Sexton ever been?? Whistle

....And he's Stuart Barnes favourite.....

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

Owen Farrell isn't fit to lick the shyte off Sexto's boots. (And I like Farrell)

He is younger and will improve, but I don't think he will catch him.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Toner's hands won us the away game in Treviso in September. Caught Sexton's restart which set up the winning drop goal. He's not perfect, sometimes he's frustrating, but his hands are good.

Problem is that he's loosing hair quicker than he's building muscle ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

I think there is a lot to be said for bringing Madigan on late.

I was off the opinion that Madigan should start because he is in form and Sexton hasn't torn it off him yet. BUT, with a strong physical defensive team like Biarritz it may make more sense to play territory, pressure cooker, solid attacking and then release Madigan on tireder legs

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

rodders wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Problem is that he's loosing hair quicker than he's building muscle ...... Run

true, he will never be the mad enforcer type but he can move around the field well and is effective at most of the things he does. He is not perfect nor will he ever be but he is seriously underrated I feel from more a less everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Would be happy for Sexton to start against BO, with Madigan to get a good run. Sexton needs gametime more than Madigan does and whether he’s leaving us or not, we’re going to need him to reach our goal this season of 2 trophies.

Also, even though he wasn’t 100% match sharp against the Zebra’s, he showed he’s still our number 1 outhalf. Give him 50/55 mins then let the Madician come on and do his stuff.

Fire and ice baby, fire and ice…

Spoiler:

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm

No I agree Pete he's a good player, doesn't get enough credit. Has really good hands and decent skills for a big guy.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:50 pm

Mickado wrote:Would be happy for Sexton to start against BO, with Madigan to get a good run. Sexton needs gametime more than Madigan does and whether he’s leaving us or not, we’re going to need him to reach our goal this season of 2 trophies.

Also, even though he wasn’t 100% match sharp against the Zebra’s, he showed he’s still our number 1 outhalf. Give him 50/55 mins then let the Madician come on and do his stuff.

Fire and ice baby, fire and ice…

Spoiler:

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:00 pm

Personally, I'd be reluctant to have Devin in the squad, much less the starting side. roux was subbed off for tactical reasons in Thomond and while Leinster went on to have less issues in the lineout, Toner didn't exactly solve the issues either. And he is such a lightweight when compared to almost any 2nd row you care to mention.

2nd Row has been the one area of consistant "weakness" for Leinster with Hines & Thorn being drafted in (to great effect i might add) but Cullen cannot do it all alone in respect of being physical and being the lineout leader and 6ft 10" or not, Devin simply does not do enough around the park nor is he so good out of touch either. I've been consistatnt in my not rating him, so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt, but the progress he had made last season I have not seen this term. If Deccie made one poor decision, it was droppping DOC in the physical mine field that is Rome for Toner. Madigan was more physical during his cameo than Toner was. Nuff said.

Oh and just to be clear, i thought Madigan was excellent but I worry when a small 10 is approaching, never mind surpassing, a tight five forward for physicallity.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:OK. The great Sexton v Madigan debate begins.

Shared starts for me with Sexton starting this week and Madigan next, then all bets are off.

Possible team from Leinsterfans

Healy
Strauss
Ross
Cullen
Toner
O'Brien
Jennings
Heaslip

Boss
Sexton
Nacewa
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
McFadden
R Kearney

Cronin
McGrath
Hagan
Roux
Ruddock
Cooney
Madigan
D Kearney/Conway

That's exactly what I'd go for.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:14 pm

The thing that gets me about toner is hes not as effective as someone of his height should be in the lineout. When hes on the pitch id have him jumping at the front of every opposition lineout possible but hes very rarely used.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:06 am

Golden wrote:The thing that gets me about toner is hes not as effective as someone of his height should be in the lineout. When hes on the pitch id have him jumping at the front of every opposition lineout possible but hes very rarely used.

I agree. He is nowhere near effective enough on opposition ball. It would be great to have him at the frnot with a mobile jumper (heaslip or McLaughlin) in the middle.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:22 pm

agree with Golden and Pete. Toner is not used nearly as effectively as he could be in defensive situations. Should just launch him up at 2 and force to oposition hooker to get it over him.

Dev's problem is that he is still too much of a nice guy around the park. Would love to see him get into the odd scrap when someone is hanging onto him at the side of a ruck etc. I had given up on him earlier in the season but have to admit, he has played very well the past 5 or 6 games. Would have him and Roux starting against Biaritz.

He is still only 26 so he still has time to develop, but until he gets much move physical and aggresive, he will not be an international class player.

With regards to the Madigan/Sexton debate. Madigan has played a blinder all season, and particularly since Sexton has been injured, but Sexton is still comfortably the best 10 in Europe and should start this weekend

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

I think Roux is still getting up to speed myself I am still baffled with his tackling technique too. He seems to try to push people back with his arms and chest rather than take them down

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:45 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Gibson wrote:No debate required. Jonny is the best 10 in the NH by a Km. Madigan is his muse. For now anyway.

Owen Farrel was nominated for the IRB Player of the Year award, has Sexton ever been?? Whistle

....And he's Stuart Barnes favourite.....

Owen Farrel is on 2 bob a week, plus Luncheon Vouchers. JS is on 600k plus a year next season. As the Yanks would say... you do the math.

Phhok de false political Rugby Awards. Even Shane de midjet Williams won one FFS. And it was in BOD Year 2009. If they only had but one smidgeon of credence...

Back to Farrell. The man is not even on the same plane as Sexton. Sexton is the Lions 10 in Oz. I said it 4 years ago. But Farrell will make the plane for one reason only. He's English. And because the English meeja (see Gusset) & their sheople, actually believe he is the next JW. So much hype. It's what the Lions are built on. That and large amounts of dosh. Who knew?

Farrell is not even near the Man. Not even close. And he never will be.

Love Johnny Wilkinson. A Class Act. Like BOD.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 25 Apr 2013, 7:22 am

Get off the fence man!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 9:03 am

Speculation that Darcy is out, and that Madigan will start at 12?
Could be an inspired choice.

SOB out too. Ruddock to 6?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:01 am

Mickado wrote:Speculation that Darcy is out, and that Madigan will start at 12?
Could be an inspired choice.

SOB out too. Ruddock to 6?

Whatever about Darcy out we could really do with sob. He's been excellent over the last 3months.
Madigan to 12 is probably better than putting in goodman IMO. Although.....

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Who would people prefer if we made it to the final between perpingan and stade francais?
Must admit to not knowing much about either this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

Prefer Stade, just because of Stan and Dr Phil.

We can beat either of them though.

Talk of LFs of Madigans move to 12 increasing his profile for Warren Gatland, he wants 2 OHs and a 3rd player who can cover another position...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

Mickado wrote:Prefer Stade, just because of Stan and Dr Phil.

We can beat either of them though.

Talk of LFs of Madigans move to 12 increasing his profile for Warren Gatland, he wants 2 OHs and a 3rd player who can cover another position...
Isa and Dr Phil to make their final European appearances in the RDS in the same game. Leinster's 2 best foreign signings by a country mile.

Both absolutely incredible guys as well as players. Both with a massive amount of time for fans.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:40 am

I remember the night i met Dr Phil in Coppers after a match. He was langers, and sound as a bell.

Told us that seeing people wearing the Leinster jersey around town made him so proud.... Crying or Very sad

I'll be back in a minute, i've something in me eye... Run

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

Mickado wrote:I remember the night i met Dr Phil in Coppers after a match. He was langers, and sound as a bell.

Told us that seeing people wearing the Leinster jersey around town made him so proud.... Crying or Very sad

I'll be back in a minute, i've something in me eye... Run
I think it's time to wheel out your Isa in the Rathfarnham Orchard story...... Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:36 am

I'm saving that for my 8th pint after the league final (god willing).

In about 10 years that story will finish off with the two of us having cigars in the smoking area and chatting up the lounge girls...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Team out, Madigan at 12, McLaughlin at 6.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm

Team in OP

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

Woulc have gone with Ruddock instead of McLauglin. I like Locky, but his defense has been a bit iffy lately.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

rabo and amlin double giving those welsh chavs the ospreys a spanking at some stage would make up for early Heino exit.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

Just copped.

There are 15 internationals starting for Leinster today.

Not even Clermont can boast that Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:27 pm

Whats wrong with SOB?

Also heard rumours that Healy will need surgery after the lions tour, which could explain why he hasn't been at his brilliant best.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

Calf injury i believe.

Also heard that about Healy. It does explain why he's being minded recently (off early against Munster, rested last week etc.)

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

Mickado wrote:Just copped.

There are 15 internationals starting for Leinster today.

Not even Clermont can boast that Smile

Toulon probably can (not sure about the hooker) - although they are all ex internationals!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:06 pm

Heres the A team that will play Munster As tonight. Looks a pretty strong pack for this level.

LEINSTER 'A':
15: Fionn Carr
14: Andrew Boyle
13: Adam Byrne
12: Noel Reid
11: Sam Coghlan-Murray
10: Cathal Marsh
9: Luke McGrath
1: Jack O'Connell
2: Aaron Dundon
3: Michael Bent
4: Tom Denton
5: Mark Flanagan
6: Ben Marshall
7: Conor Gilsenan CAPTAIN
8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:
16: James Tracy
17: Martin Moore
18: Tadhg Beirne
19: Daniel Leavy
20: Adam Griggs
21: Tom Daly
22: Mick McGrath

And heres the Munster one

MUNSTER: S Scanlon; C Hircock, D Barnes, I Dineen, R O'Mahony; JJ Hanrahan, D Williams; J Cronin, S Henry CAPTAIN, A Cotter; D Foley, I Nagle; N Ronan, B O'Mahony, CJ Stander
REPLACEMENTS: D Casey, M Horan, B Hayes, S Dougall, J Holland, S Deasy, C Bohane

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

I hope there is not even a sliver of complacency with Leinster when they meet Biarritz. If there is it'll be an embarrassing end to the future Irish coach's European club rugby record.

Time in the season, if there are an pretensions of grandeur left in Leinster, to rage into a game and not take the foot off the gas until the end. Fury, total concentration on getting passes right... and no mercy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

Slightly nervous about this game due to Sean not playing. Think we are lacking ball carriers to an extent. Could do with some more of them. Also our bench has obviously weakened.

Think there is going to need to be some serious focus for this game, hope the lads are freakin' pumped

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next