The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half

+18
offload
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
Cari
actionman
Bathite
formerly known as Sam
GunsGerms
Imperialbigdave
TBJ9625
Coleman
Liam
mckay1402
flyhalffactory
Impossible Standards
Kingshu
22 posters

Go down

Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half Empty Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half

Post by Kingshu Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22248375

Everyones favourite 606v2 subject is moving again. Lets talk!

I actually thought that Dragons may be a move for him.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half Empty Re: Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:05 pm

I actually hoped the Dragons did make a move for him. I guess we are a bit low class for Sir Gavin ... Very Happy
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half Empty Re: Gavin Henson: Bath in talks with London Welsh fly-half

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

Thats probably a cracking move for Henson. I mean at 31 no qualifications, in the twilight if his career where will he earn £50-60k plus a bit of sponsorship anywhere else. Bath RFC re in the process of rebuilding, nice area not far away from his home town. If he could stay there for 2-3 years then happy days.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

It surprised me that he has only 33 caps, plus a few Lions ones. He could have been so much more.

Anyway Impossible Standards I wouldn't say Dragons was a step down from LW, sideways at worst.

Will Gavin tour with Wales in the summer?

To be fair when he does play he still has a bit of class left, and would be a useful addition to Dragons, however you wouldn't want him to upset the dressing room.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

this makes me miss hersh.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

I do feel for the guy because he just hasn't had any luck with injuries. When he was on the verge of finding form after getting games under his belt, he got injured again. For example, when he played for Wales vs England in the WC warm up match he was simply outstanding for the first 30 mins but a wrist injury caused him to go off and rule him out of the world cup. If he had played the full 80, he would have been on the plane with Wales.

I still think he's a class act who should have at least 70-80 caps to his name and cemented his place as one of the best players to have played for Wales and become a world class centre. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and I just hope he can have a good final 2-3 years just playing rugby and getting games under his belt. On the Dragons, surely they could not have afforded his wages? would they need him with Hughes, tuilagi etc..

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

Honestly, he should have stayed with Lyn at LW. I guess that they'll be in some money trouble when they go down, but he could have done some good there for a season or two. What drama waits at Bath I wonder?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:11 pm

TBH I'd have happily seen him back at the Ospreys under the right T&Cs in his contract. We need someone to open up defences and I think Bigger, Henson, Beck and the Hano and walker on the wings would have been quite something to see. Oh well
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

I give him three months before he punches Banahan.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

Liam wrote:I do feel for the guy because he just hasn't had any luck with injuries. When he was on the verge of finding form after getting games under his belt, he got injured again. For example, when he played for Wales vs England in the WC warm up match he was simply outstanding for the first 30 mins but a wrist injury caused him to go off and rule him out of the world cup. If he had played the full 80, he would have been on the plane with Wales.

I still think he's a class act who should have at least 70-80 caps to his name and cemented his place as one of the best players to have played for Wales and become a world class centre. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and I just hope he can have a good final 2-3 years just playing rugby and getting games under his belt. On the Dragons, surely they could not have afforded his wages? would they need him with Hughes, tuilagi etc..

He hasnt had any more injuries than any world class centre. He just choses to whinge about his injuries more. Rarely are any International rugby players 100% fit.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

In theory a good option for him. Bath have no experienced 10 or 12 options (unless you count Banahan as a 12). He could really get his feet under the table and get some coaching responsibility as there's no specific Bath backs coach.

There are some seriously talented young 10 and 12 options for him to mentor and with Heathcote not in favour with the management and Ford's points kicking issues he should actually get decent game time should he stay fit.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:I give him three months before he punches Banahan.

Man alive, I wish he did, that would be a result for all involved!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by actionman Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:20 pm

Good catch by Bath.
Would assume there are lots of interest in Sir Gav.

actionman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:38 pm

Not really much AP of interest I'd have thought Action Man. Bath have two young 10s and needed some experience, I'd presume Saints would be interested as well and he would have done well there. Other than that I'm not sure many others would have bid for him.

Had he not been so injured and shown his hints of form for a longer period then more would have been after his signature. As it is the clubs looking to recruit him are really gambling on a potential bargain.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:41 pm

Wowsers...Gav moves more than Pickfords! What's this his sixth pro club? Good luck to him...maybe just maybe, he'll settle. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:54 pm

I give it 3 weeks before Attwood punches Henson.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

I give it 3 weeks before Attwood punches Henson.

word.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:58 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Not really much AP of interest I'd have thought Action Man. Bath have two young 10s and needed some experience, I'd presume Saints would be interested as well and he would have done well there. Other than that I'm not sure many others would have bid for him.

Had he not been so injured and shown his hints of form for a longer period then more would have been after his signature. As it is the clubs looking to recruit him are really gambling on a potential bargain.

I would love to see him at saints. is just up the road for me and I reckon he'd be great. mallinder doesn't have a great history of bringing good 10s to the club so he'll probably go to Bath.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

If this goes through ill definitely be renewing my season ticket at Bath RFC.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the rec a bit more next year

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:13 pm

Mckay, Mallinder likes a safe option and an attacking option. Previously the majority or the budget has been spent on the front row but that appears to be changing. Mallinder also likes to take a chance on his attacking option with Geraghty and Lamb previously so Henson would be in line and if fit an improvement. Especially as Saints have signed utility Kiwi who can play 10,12 and 15.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm

Sam, what's the story on heathcote not in favour with the management? Or are you basing that on gold preferring the avergae man, stephen donald, ahead of him?

If heathcote doesn't have a future at bath, he's more than welcome at edinburgh!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:20 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Sam, what's the story on heathcote not in favour with the management? Or are you basing that on gold preferring the avergae man, stephen donald, ahead of him?

If heathcote doesn't have a future at bath, he's more than welcome at edinburgh!

Not really sure where Sam's got that from. Donald is first choice, always has been, but then Heathcote was in good form and Donald in poor, they perserved with Donald. Then when Heathcote got his chance again, he was really poor for a few games, so has gone back to 2nd choice. Simples

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:48 am

Wasn't there a strong rumour of Heathcote looking to sign for a Scottish team?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:50 am

Heathcote is continually second choice irrespective of form. Two new 10s signed for next season already at least one of whom has been promised significant game time (according to Cockers).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:54 am

Henson is seen as a 12 by Bath.

If Ford is going to Bath then he'll be second choice/rotating with Heathcote; he can get a lot of game time starting in the LV cup, just not the highest quality game time.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:25 am

I doubt that's what he wants Yappy, he had that at Tigers. He left specifically for more game time and regular game time at that. Can't see him moving for less game time, especially since his Saxons call ups mean he'd miss the Feb LV period.

Cockerill was pretty certain after his meetings with Ford that Ford would be the starting 10 for Bath next season just as he was that Twelvetrees would be the starting 12 for Glaws.

Henson may be seen as a 12 by Bath but he always states his favourite position is 10 doesn't he? Either way if they all stay the Bath backline will look tasty next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:45 am

It's easy for Cockers to say he's moving for more game time though, it takes the heat off him. I don't believe anything coaches say about signings and departures, especially not Cockers!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:10 am

Generally what he says is pretty good to be honest. He doesn't hide away from things and in the same interview praised Fordy saying if he changed his mind Tigers would do him a deal to stay.

Cockers isn't everyone's cup of tea that's for sure but what he says is generally true, getting anything out of him is usually the issue for the local press.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

He's been drinking there so long I think he must have bought the last chance saloon with his game show earnings.

High risk for Bath.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:11 pm

Generally disappointing to read that Bath want him as 12 especially when they havent got anyone with the wow factor coming thro the ranks.....
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 23 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Generally disappointing to read that Bath want him as 12 especially when they havent got anyone with the wow factor coming thro the ranks.....

huh?

Heathcote, Devoto are probably two of our most promising talents and they're both 10s?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 23 Apr 2013, 4:51 pm

Yes I have seen young Tom a few times over the last few years and I was one few who was didnt crucify Andy Robinson for his selection him. But (correct me if I am wrong) when he has had the chance to have a run at 10 he has disappointed a bit. I have to say I dont know much about Devoto but the point is does Bath need Henson at 10 or 12 for next season.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

We have Ford and Heathcote at 10, with no experienced back up and Williams, Banahan and Eastmond at 12, with no experienced back up. So on that basis, Henson might be an option

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

Bathite wrote:We have Ford and Heathcote at 10, with no experienced back up and Williams, Banahan and Eastmond at 12, with no experienced back up. So on that basis, Henson might be an option

How many options is enough?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:27 pm

Bathite....... what I am asking is "do you need Henson at 10 or 12"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

Will he go to Japan? Thats quite an interesting question, I still think he could do a job IF his head is right but thats always been the BIG IF.

With JD and Roberts very more than likely in Oz then its a chance for him or will McBryde and Co just use it as a development tour for the main.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

London Welsh boss Lyn Jones says Bath will be getting a player with five top-flight years ahead of him if Gavin Henson's move there is confirmed.
The Welsh Exiles will drop from England's Aviva Premiership to the second-tier Championship next season, prompting Henson's departure

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:24 am

gregortree wrote:London Welsh boss Lyn Jones says Bath will be getting a player with five top-flight years ahead of him if Gavin Henson's move there is confirmed.
The Welsh Exiles will drop from England's Aviva Premiership to the second-tier Championship next season, prompting Henson's departure

To use the Mandy Rice-Davies argument, 'Well he would say that, wouldn't he?'.

It's like expecting to hear the full truth from a second-hand car dealer.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

This car could do 70 mph @ 40mpg for 5 years in the right conditions.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

gregortree wrote:This car could do 70 mph @ 40mpg for 5 years in the right conditions.

So apparently could Mandy Rice-Davies.
On the other hand the car could break down (again) and be worth scrap value in six months.

In a buyers' market, Gav should come cheap simply by looking at the service record.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

GT
My comment was tongue in cheek. Not Mandy's though.
Sad

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:23 am

Heaven forfend gregor. Putting your tongue in places where politicians have delved could severely damaging to your prospects.

(Reportedly)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down