The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shirt sponsors (or lack of!)

+6
whocares
21st Century Schizoid Man
profitius
George Carlin
SecretFly
MarcusHalberstram
10 posters

Go down

Shirt sponsors (or lack of!) Empty Shirt sponsors (or lack of!)

Post by MarcusHalberstram Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm

Having watched Glasgow play on TV a couple of times in the last few weeks, I was surprised to see they had no main sponsor on their shirt (my eyes are so used to some kind of major banner on players' chests it actually looks quite odd on first sight). Was wondering why this is - surely Glasgow aren't so loaded that they couldn't do with some cash to stick someone on their shirt? Seems in complete contrast to the Welsh regions who would probably stick my name on their left butt-cheek if I paid them a fiver (see the Ospreys rather unique bunny-tail bum-sponsors)! I realise the range of sponsorship deals must be huge for Rabo teams (can't imagine the Dragons "Discount Tyres" deal being comparable to Munster's "Toyota" deal for example) - but anyone know what kind of figures are involved, and why some teams do more than others?

I personally find it weird that the clubs don't sell versions of the shirts for fans free of sponsors - in the last few seasons I've thought about buying a few shirts, but ultimately decided against it because of hideous banners (specifically thinking of the ridiculous green Dyfed Steels logo that has annually ruined a pretty nice Scarlets shirt - and the absurd number of logos on the Ospreys shirts)! By far the worst is the Toulon shirt though - that VW sign looks ridiculous!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Shirt sponsors (or lack of!) Empty Re: Shirt sponsors (or lack of!)

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:27 pm

Isn't it on the back?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 26 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

Marcus - the reason for the lack of a main Glasgow shirt sponsor is more bad luck than anything else and there's a nice story behind it. For the past 3 seasons, the Warriors were sponsored by a local firm called Response, who provide privately contracted call service centres.

Last August, they announced that they unexpectedly lost a very high value contract with Sky which meant that they were now suddenly unable to renew their main sponsorship deal. It was clear that they were quite embarrassed by the whole affair.

The chat on the street was that financially this was not actually a bad thing from Glasgow as apparently the Response contract was not worth a significant amount to the club after being negotiated on the back of Sir David Murray’s agreement to sponsor the Scottish national team in 2007. He stepped in to help his former employee Gordon McKie, the then SRU chief executive, when The Famous Grouse walked away and McKie’s efforts to find a Scotland jersey sponsor proved fruitless.

This meant that Murray agreed to sponsor Scotland on the basis that the Warriors fronted up one of Murray's own young companies, Response. The national deal was worth a lot of folding, Glasgow's apparently not as the whole thing was basically done as a favour.

However, that left Glasgow without a shirt sponsor just before the start of the season and if you believe reports at the time, whilst a lot of main sponsors were interested, Nathan Bomrys (Glasgow CEO) priced the minimum buy-in too high for a rush job to be done.

So I agree. It does look a bit weird, but there is a reason for this. When Glasgow win the Rabo in a month's time (Shirt sponsors (or lack of!) 590675) and Macron produces the new Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow shirts this summer when their new deal kicks in, I'm sure that we'll be back to the minging colour clash nightmare logos that we've all come to know and hate.

And yes, I think that the Scarlets one is the worst in terms of clash.Shirt sponsors (or lack of!) 2211252749
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Fri 26 Apr 2013, 8:28 pm

George - that is without doubt the most comprehensive answer I've ever had on this forum - thank you! Also answers another question I've always had about who "Murray" were and where they came from to be SRU sponsors!
Incidentally, while we're on the topic, always find it hilarious that Edinburgh have "Aberdeen" writ large on their shirt!
Also, my girlfriend loves the fact such a large proportion of the Scottish players have names that are also famous companies... Ford, Heinz, Kellock [sic], Barclay, Murray, Beatty...

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 26 Apr 2013, 8:55 pm

Toyota are not renewing their deal with Munster. There was an article a few weeks back saying Munster are in negotiations and they have not rushed to find a sponsor which is lucky because they're in the HEC semi final now which increases the teams value for sponsors. Maybe they can pick up a sponsor from one of the "local" companies in Munster like Apple or dell! Very Happy

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 27 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

MarcusHalberstram wrote:George - that is without doubt the most comprehensive answer I've ever had on this forum - thank you! Also answers another question I've always had about who "Murray" were and where they came from to be SRU sponsors!
Incidentally, while we're on the topic, always find it hilarious that Edinburgh have "Aberdeen" writ large on their shirt!
Also, my girlfriend loves the fact such a large proportion of the Scottish players have names that are also famous companies... Ford, Heinz, Kellock [sic], Barclay, Murray, Beatty...
Most welcome. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 27 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

MarcusHalberstram wrote:George - that is without doubt the most comprehensive answer I've ever had on this forum - thank you! Also answers another question I've always had about who "Murray" were and where they came from to be SRU sponsors!

Who he ? Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 27 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:

Who he ? Headscratch

Hines ? thumbsup

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 27 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

Ahh Big Nutta Nate - thanks - think his spelling is somewhat strange right enough - Johnny Beattie not Beatty. Maybe he is an American ! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 27 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Gloucester have a pretty horrible clash going on with their shirts, red and white stripes and then Jewsons in yellow and blue.

I always thought Quins sponsors were unfortunate as with so many colours on the shirts already it's almost impossible to pick out the sponsors amongst them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:34 am

Wasps have not had a main sponsor this season, mainly because our survival in the Jeff was not guaranteed until the final game of last season.

Other than the league sponsors (Aviva & QBE) the only other name on our shirts is 'Mind' - a small logo on the neck area. And the club sponsor that charity.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:10 pm

Personally I think that the League bosses, should introduce rules like in the top tier of Football.

No sponsors allowed in name of club, as happens in Super Rugby and happed with NEC Harlequins etc.

You'll never get a NEC Fulham, or such like. Benetton Rugby Treviso would have to change to Treviso rugby, Benetton can make and sponsor shirt.

Sponsor ship on kits is limited to X number of sponsors and area of kit they can cover.

Some Welsh teams are awash with sponsors, and its difficult to see the kit, think Ospreys are the worst with bunnie tales, and sponsorship on the coller as well!

Limit it to same as football proportions, you get a sponsor but kit isn't bogged down by them.

Some will say that these sponsors are vital to the club generating money, but I believe that limiting the space and amount means more can be generated for main sponsor, (Football teams don't struggle, without selling every available space to sponsors, rugby should be the same)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

This has got to be the best one

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-22280880

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down