The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

+28
LivinginItaly
dyrewolfe
hampo17
mystiroakey
kiakahaaotearoa
Shelsey93
Take it to the house
Carrotdude
Hibbz
Dorothy_Mantooth
msp83
Mike Selig
aucklandlaurie
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Duty281
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
trebellbobaggins
alfie
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
GSC
32 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords Empty England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 10:38 am

England: Cook (c), Compton, Trott, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.
NZ: Fulton, Rutherford, Williamson, Taylor, Brownlie, McCullum (c), BJ Watling, Southee, Wagner, Boult, Martin

England win the toss and will bat first
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by Liam Thu 16 May 2013, 10:42 am

Glad Fin has retained his place ahead of Bresnan Smile

Looking forward to seeing how Root does with his blistering form at the start of the county championship. Bairstow has been in decent form as well so they both have a chance to lay a real marker down ahead of KP returning in the future. Could be a straight shoot out between the two for that no.6 position.

Liam

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 11:00 am

Finn over Bresnan, despite the former's not so great early season county form, in my view, is the right decision.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 May 2013, 11:04 am

They're expecting a fairly flat track
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 11:05 am

Olly wrote:They're expecting a fairly flat track

Tbf, I expect the same from every Lords track. Rain about at some point also I think
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 11:14 am

The ball does indicate that its new, but nothing like significant movement in the air or off the pitch so far.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 16 May 2013, 11:26 am

Come on Black caps, beat these boys, they are only playing at home, put da pressha on. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 16 May 2013, 11:27 am

There is a wee bit of swing abouts this morning.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 11:37 am

First half hour done, the England openers still intact in the middle. England 21 without loss with Cook on 9 and Compton on 7.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 12:05 pm

Hour gone, 37 without loss. Good start, platform to build on.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 May 2013, 12:09 pm

Good first hour for England. Southee has looked the most likely to me so far but Cook has done well to keep him out.

Boult back now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 12:10 pm

The first hour belongs to England. Doesn't look like a pitch that the bowlers would love all that much. The first hour would have been the key, particularly with the new ball. Cook and Compton have dealt with things pretty well indeed, now its a question of staying focused and making this start count for something substantial.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 12:16 pm

Brian Wadil suggests on TMS that perhaps NZ should have gone in with Bracewell over the spinner Martin.
I don't think so. There is not a great deal of life for the seamers on this track, the spinner would at least give the skipper some additional options.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 12:19 pm

Maybe. NZ might well need a spinner if they can't force a breakthrough with the new ball though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 May 2013, 12:20 pm

Agreed , msp. Can't see what Bracewell would add that the other three seamers cannot exploit...at least Martin will give them some variety , which I fancy they might need later on.

Certainly doesn't look like a seamers picnic day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 12:50 pm

Compton gone for 16, 43-1.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 16 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Hi all.

I've done it again.

I finally settle down to watch it and cook goes next ball.

I really am a jinx.

I just can't watch England can I, doh.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 16 May 2013, 2:19 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Hi all.

I've done it again.

I really am a jinx.

Keep watching please Trebs Smile

2 down, and I've just ducked outside (on the Strand), there's a bit of a nip in the air.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Wish Cook would have bowled, slow outfield and quite a bit of swing. Dig in lads, 350 is the minimum aim!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 16 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Trebs

First time this morning I looked at the online score, Compton was out next ball, so you aren't the only jinx.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 16 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:Hi all.

I've done it again.

I really am a jinx.

Keep watching please Trebs Smile

2 down, and I've just ducked outside (on the Strand), there's a bit of a nip in the air.

Yeah my kiwi family are all convinced I should sit and watch it all Very Happy

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 16 May 2013, 2:27 pm

dummy_half wrote:Trebs

First time this morning I looked at the online score, Compton was out next ball, so you aren't the only jinx.

They'll be banning us from watching soon.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 16 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:Wish Cook would have bowled, slow outfield and quite a bit of swing. Dig in lads, 350 is the minimum aim!
I watched the toss and was shocked he didn't. So often lords produces poor first innings when it is overcast, strange decision.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 2:29 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Wish Cook would have bowled, slow outfield and quite a bit of swing. Dig in lads, 350 is the minimum aim!
I watched the toss and was shocked he didn't. So often lords produces poor first innings when it is overcast, strange decision.

I'd imagine Anderson was wishing he was the one with the new ball for the first hour of the series.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 2:49 pm

England have gone far too defensive in my view. Of course the ball's doing things for the NZ seamers, but they just aren't scoring runs even against Martin. Not sure this is the smartest approach from Bell and Trott.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 3:16 pm

Martin: 10-7-10-1 are his bowling figures. Far too negative...just crossed 100 in the 50th over. Pick the pace up England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 May 2013, 3:18 pm

Hopefully when in Root, Bairstow and Prior play to there potential and actually attempt to score at an acceptable rate
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 3:38 pm

Another superb catch has removed Trott. New Zealand in control, England aren't hurting them with the scoring.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 16 May 2013, 3:40 pm

It's early days, but our fielding may be "back" (it was way below normal NZ levels last year - we tend to work hard on that to errm compensate for lack of quality in other areas)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 4:05 pm

England are 113-3 at tea. They are really making heavy weather of this first innings. 2 sessions are done, England have lost 3 wickets, and there is not a lot on the scoreboard. No need for any recklessness, but England have to stay positive here to get themselves out of a difficult corner that is partly their own making.
All credit to the New Zealand bowling unit though. They have been very disciplined so far, and they have made use of whatever little life that is there on this track.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 16 May 2013, 4:06 pm

Looks a really poor decision to bat In bowling conditions. Kiwis putting themselves in a strong position in this one.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 May 2013, 4:18 pm

staggered at this rate...this pitch has no demons in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 16 May 2013, 4:42 pm

Bell's form has been the biggest puzzle for me. Normally a free-flowing batsman, looking to attack the spinners: here he's been so passive it's unreal, missing out on full-tosses, lazy running, etc. A bit bizarre really, reminiscent of the "old" Ian Bell.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 16 May 2013, 4:48 pm

I don't care about the pitch this run rate is unacceptable. We are at home against one of the lower ranked teams and seem to be scared to death of them. Its a feeble performance so far.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 16 May 2013, 4:53 pm

Root at least looks like he's trying a bit to be busy, though not exactly scoring fast. Bell looks scared if anything, bizarre the way he's patting half-volleys back...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 May 2013, 4:59 pm

At least there does seem as if there will be spin for Swann later in the game.

Need to get 200 by the end of the day surely
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 16 May 2013, 5:01 pm

Yes exactly. I have heard a bit of the commentary and in one recent over Bell should have taken 2 or 3 boundaries off long hops from Martin but scored nothing.

Martin is bowling poorly but has an economy rate of <1.5 as I type - letting bad bowling tie him down is incredibly poor for one of our most experienced players.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 May 2013, 5:05 pm

Root's at least showing intent to dispatch the bad balls
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 16 May 2013, 5:09 pm

It's raining on the Strand. Could be an early finish.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 16 May 2013, 5:23 pm

Bell goes.

Just what we needed before the new ball Ian. Pathetic shot
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 16 May 2013, 5:28 pm

Not good enough from Bell. Senior player my a***, what a joke of an innings that was.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:32 pm

A pathetic effort from Ian Bell. His terrible scoring rate held England back throughout the day ever since he came to the wicket, and one over before new ball time, he got out playing a poor shot. Horrible performance.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:38 pm

What a sorry day this has been. I'd prefer to bury my head and pretend it never happened, hopefully Prior can up the rate when he gets in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:39 pm

Test cricket? In England? the damn rain has to arrive at some point, and too bloody well it does!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:47 pm

Play abandoned for the day. Weather looks OK for tomorrow though, should be able to make up this time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 16 May 2013, 5:48 pm

That wicket of Bell made what was probably narrowly NZ's day definitely NZ's day. If they can pick up two early wickets tomorrow with the new ball then they will back themselves to roll England for sub 250 which would be below par for sure.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:57 pm

NZ's day most certainly. England looked all meek and scared with the bat. NZ will have the new ball first thing tomorrow, and Root and Bairstow will have to start all over again.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 16 May 2013, 6:32 pm

Haven't seen any of today's play Sad

Will be watching on Five at 7pm

Been a bit of a slow day. Frustrating that when someone gets settled at the crease, they seem to get out. A big innings from Root could be huge and he could be well on his way for a big summer. Can see England's cricketer of the year Prior, getting his usual 50 or so up.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 16 May 2013, 7:13 pm

What on earth was Nick Compton doing picard threw his wicket away completely.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 16 May 2013, 7:55 pm

--didn't follow any cricket throughout the day...and looked at the shocking scoreline this evening.

--caught highlights on Cricket on 5 seeing the shocking 160-4 and hold your breath in 80 overs, 30 maidens...and my first thought was "i told you watch out for this NZ side in more seam helping conditions" when i saw them in unhelpful India"

--Eng are perennially preparing for Ashes as they have called this series.....they might actually win Ashes and lose or draw this series.
NZ seam bowling is as competent in English and NZ conditions as that of any...but it was shocking to see them play Martin the way they did in these non spinning conditions......and Martin dropped a fairly straight-forward c&b.

--Eng are really in grave danger...have looked leaden footed, not fully competent in covering the movement of good quality fast medium and disciplined bowling...and worst sin played far more cautious then they needed to.

and if they lose quick 2 wickets tomorrow morning.....and are bundled for 250ish...which looks a distinct possibility and one good solid effort from NZ and Eng might be looking down the barrel again.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next