The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

+28
LivinginItaly
dyrewolfe
hampo17
mystiroakey
kiakahaaotearoa
Shelsey93
Take it to the house
Carrotdude
Hibbz
Dorothy_Mantooth
msp83
Mike Selig
aucklandlaurie
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Duty281
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
trebellbobaggins
alfie
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
GSC
32 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 5 Empty England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 10:38 am

First topic message reminder :

England: Cook (c), Compton, Trott, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.
NZ: Fulton, Rutherford, Williamson, Taylor, Brownlie, McCullum (c), BJ Watling, Southee, Wagner, Boult, Martin

England win the toss and will bat first
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 5 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:21 pm

Haha Roakey Smile

I didn't mean they had to put Swann on , more that I predicted firstly a bowling change and then that Southee would start swinging...they won't get the ball off Jimmy in a hurry now !

alfie

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 5 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 12:22 pm

I am going to say your half right raspberry

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:24 pm

I'll take that Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Wagner takes a single of the 5th ball of Anderson and Watling couldn't get one of the last ball. So Finn has Wagner to bowl to, think he should target the stumps. NZ 200-8

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 12:32 pm

Watling exposing Wagner a bit too much to Anderson and Finn. He managed a profitable edge for 4 of Finn's last over and then took the single of the 4th ball, and then Watling again failed to take the single of the last 2, meaning Anderson now has a chance to have a crack at the number 10

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:32 pm

Going to be close on first innings...England will want to nip these last two out quickly now and ensure at least a nominal advantage , which after the overnight score will be very welcome.

Not sure I would praise the pitch too much : it is producing low scores and an interesting match I guess , but I'd prefer a track on which batsmen can play a few more shots ...but let us see what the second innings brings. Some brighter light might help but I'm not sure the local weather will co- operate Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 12:34 pm

nz looking good for a solid lead here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 12:36 pm

This time he manages to keep strike. NZ 207-8, Behind by 25.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 12:38 pm

Watling's gone, Finn gets his 3rd. NZ 207-9. Fantastic comeback from England.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:39 pm

Finn gets Watling wafting at a widish one...nine down. He never looked convincing today...in fact apart from Taylor not many have in this match.
Root too , I guess , and perhaps Trott after his early escape .

Wonder how England will approach the second innings ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Gotta be pretty disheartening for NZ to outplay England for 2 days, yet will probably still be behind after the end of the first innings
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Aye, bowlers bail out the batsman again. Now they've got to put the hammer down
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Apart from Taylor, no ones really got going so far. Few scratchy innings of attrition.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Sat 18 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Good to see Broad and Finn bowling much better this morning

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 12:42 pm

NZ have thrown away a very good opportunity to gain a considerable advantage here. England, who were well below their standards for the first couple of days have been superb. Finn's finished it off, NZ allout 207.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 12:42 pm

Nice stuff.

That time spent in mental preparation in Tibet this winter has paid off.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 12:43 pm

alfie wrote:Going to be close on first innings...England will want to nip these last two out quickly now and ensure at least a nominal advantage , which after the overnight score will be very welcome.

Not sure I would praise the pitch too much : it is producing low scores and an interesting match I guess , but I'd prefer a track on which batsmen can play a few more shots ...but let us see what the second innings brings. Some brighter light might help but I'm not sure the local weather will co- operate Smile

after the NZ series It is very welcome in my eyes!

Ok yeah this game could be over very soon. But I think a good batting line up would actually do alot better no disrespect to the kiwis but they are not the best batting side, and England have been dreadfull in recent matches.. I think if there was a decent in form batting line up this pitch would be battable but tough. A good pitch IMO..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 18 May 2013, 12:44 pm

Yes and no Olly. If the wickets are tumbling and NZ are getting out, they'd probably fancy being close to the English deficit and having a crack at them in these conditions well. The conditions will never suit the Kiwi bowlers more so in a way now is a good time to knock over the top order and hope for the sun to come out later with the English tail end and then bat in those conditions.

Definitely England's session and they've got the upper hand. But now let's see how their batting does because they probably didn't envisage being in so early and with wickets tumbling like this, sometimes the mentality is wrong and you go in with a siege mentality and don't play your strokes.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:44 pm

All out.

Finn ends with a slightly flattering 4/63 , but his pace and bounce will always be a problem for the tail , which is one of his advantages in holding a place in this team.

Twenty five run lead is probably better than England expected overnight , but they bowled well today and earned it. Especially Anderson.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Finn hasn't bowled particularly well but has 4 wickets.

Broad deserving of more than 1 for his work today
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 12:45 pm

There is no I in team olly!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 18 May 2013, 12:48 pm

Wow, good comeback today. Credit where it is due. Time for our flaky batsmen to step it up as the bowlers have saved them from embarassment as they so often have in the past.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:50 pm

Of course one thing we don't really know yet is how this pitch will play for the spinners over the last couple of days. There have been some signs that it might get tricky , though Lords' usually doesn't ...if it does help more then England may have a bit of an edge with Swann bowling last.
Up to now has been nearly all seamers , will be interesting to see what happens after lunch today.
Any chance of sunshine in the next day or so ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 12:54 pm

NZ want a review first up...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 12:55 pm

Wow. Confident appeal and review by NZ but I reckon he missed it with daylight to spare...surely can't give that out ?

Not out. Phew...but correct decision.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 1:03 pm

So lunch after England's morning...nice to see the openers running hard for a three that over.
Happy with that two hours.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 18 May 2013, 1:09 pm

It may have taken 7 sessions, but England have finally turned up and dominated the morning with a very professional display. Well done Anderson, another 5 wicket haul for him. England could be back in the driving seat with positive batting this afternoon, but I note the forecast is bad for Monday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 1:20 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
alfie wrote:Going to be close on first innings...England will want to nip these last two out quickly now and ensure at least a nominal advantage , which after the overnight score will be very welcome.

after the NZ series It is very welcome in my eyes!

Ok yeah this game could be over very soon. But I think a good batting line up would actually do alot better no disrespect to the kiwis but they are not the best batting side, and England have been dreadfull in recent matches.. I think if there was a decent in form batting line up this pitch would be battable but tough. A good pitch IMO..
Our batting line up seems poor at the mo.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 18 May 2013, 1:23 pm

Fantastic morning session. Just need to get a 350-400 lead, which i recon we can easily do!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Just need to get a 350-400 lead, which i recon we can easily do!

tad optimistic
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 1:32 pm

250-300 lead is all we need..

350 -400 will just turn the draw into play anyway- so its fruitless

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 18 May 2013, 1:36 pm

With Anderson in form, Finn amongst the wickets, and the pitch having a bit of turn, 275 ought to be enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 18 May 2013, 1:55 pm

25/0 off the first 5 overs, good intent shown by the openers.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 2:10 pm

how do you guys feel about Taylors innings? was a quick fire and out bash right or should he have looked to occupy the crease for longer and support his lower order?

it's the best score I the game but I wonder if he was in too much of a rush in some ways.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 2:11 pm

It was a good counter attacking innings, a lack of support hurt him.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 2:18 pm

yeah true. I just think as the leader and without the support he could have approached it more test minded. Seemed a natural one day innings.

Having said that, over-caution didn't exactly help us so fair play to him.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Compton gone for 15, lead 61
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 2:24 pm

oh dear. timber?
Compton needs to sort it out or they won't stick with him.

This game is right in the balance, with all the time left it certainly favours NZ if England collapse again.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 18 May 2013, 2:25 pm

Compton with yet another un impressive performance.

All i can say is the obvious, if we don't have KP for the ashes we are simply screwed.

I still recon England can win the 1st test though.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 2:27 pm

Massive plus that bell isnt here. In this situation i would be banging my head into a wall..

Root and trott combo. I like a lot

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Hmm. No relaxing watching this game ...one moment England are motoring along nicely , then : an unnecessary push outside off and a great catch , followed by a cracker of a ball ...and both openers are gone cheaper than first time around...

No Bell so Root has the repair job with Trott...think we can forget about 350 leads etc , as long as the ball keeps swinging and the outfield stays slow runs are going to be gold dust.

The weather forecast for Monday may prove irrelevant if wickets keep falling like this !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 2:30 pm

Couple of nice fours from Trott...England are certainly approaching this innings with more intent.

Whether it brings a better score remains to be seen...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 2:30 pm

I do like our run rate though..

Really enjoying this attacking mindset from england..

No point keeping wickets if you dont score!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 2:31 pm

Our batting is a mess. Hard to see anything but a pasting in the ashes with this, it's got worse and worse. The coaches must know they have serious problems now?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 2:41 pm

Oh I agree , roakey ... Much rather the attacking , aggressive running between wickets ... definitely the right way to go.

But with Bell under the weather and the chef out already England really need at least one solid partnership now if they are to ensure a respectable third innings.

Not sure what they can look to defend on here : a lot probably depends on overhead conditions because the pitch isn't going to become a minefield , rather just a slowish surface on which batsmen need to take their run scoring opportunities when they can , as you can't just blaze away.

If it stays overcast you'd think 250 odd might be enough.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 2:58 pm

Poor first over from Martin. Trott not missing out on the four-balls.

Lead up to 92. McCullum is keeping an attacking field , as he should ; so England must make sure they take advantage of scoring chances. Fours , yes - but singles as well.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 18 May 2013, 3:13 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Our batting is a mess. Hard to see anything but a pasting in the ashes with this, it's got worse and worse. The coaches must know they have serious problems now?

WE'RE DOOMED! Laugh

Root and Trott going nicely at the moment, but another wicket or two would swing it back in NZ's favour...especially given Bell will be well below par, if and when he gets to bat.

Come on lads...keep it going... Fingers Crossed
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 3:16 pm

going at 4 an over so far!!

really nice

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 3:20 pm

Pitch has quickened up a bit so strokemaking is easier. Ought to produce a few more runs this time around. Plus the sun is out ...

If a batsman can see his shadow on the third day at Lords' , does that mean Spring is here ? No , that's a groundhog...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Bit of a change in tactics from NZ ...more wide balls outside off stump now. Not sure trying to play on Trott's patience is the way to go Smile

Runs have slowed though...

Fifty partnership...good running

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next