The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ?

+13
hawkeye
summerblues
laverfan
YvonneT
bogbrush
lags72
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
banbrotam
TRuffin
Jahu
kingraf
JubbaIsle
17 posters

Go down

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ? Empty Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ?

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 8:54 pm

Feds new haircut has added years on him, or at least shown us just how old he is. I wonder if he has taken a long look in a mirror lately ?

He must see that the years are gaining on him, I really don't want to see him fritter away his halcyon sunset shoring up the top ten just because he loves competing. I'd hate to witness him acting out a kind of palooka punchbag, with journeymen using him as practice fodder.

I'm quite sure it won't come to that, but I would like to remember him for what he stood for, an exquisite, polished gem of perfection, weaving his web of entanglement with sublime shots from anywhere to anywhere. Point to point accuracy and an athletic abundance unrivalled by any other tennis athlete.

I'm sure when we all look back in years to come, if he retired this year, it would be with great affection, knowing we had witnessed a legend and managed to enjoy the spectacle and all the heart stopping moments and of course the glory that came with it.

I'm not a Federer fancier, but even as a Murray fan I can't deny his talent and it would be a crying shame if he tarnished that perception, that could go down in history as probably one of the greatest to have ever player the game, by continuing on a course of action that may see him die a slow death at the hands of lesser players.

Wimbledon is the tournament he won his first slam and bagged most of his wins on one surface, it would also be the one place he would get the best send-off and be in a world of such profound history that to end it there would have to be a most fitting end to an illustrious career. I hope beyond hope that he concedes that his career is very near to its culmination, but it must be wiser to bow out sooner rather than later and leave the scene on a high and look back and say he gave it it all when he was able to.

Or am I being too romantic ?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ? Empty Re: Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ?

Post by kingraf Wed 22 May 2013, 9:10 pm

Is this a thread about how Federer will be remembered in 15 years (which explains the lack of flaws you found in his game), or is this genuinely how you see Federer?

All the same, he has earned the right to retire when he wants, and if he prefers to continue life as a journeyman (what a journey though), then I will keep watching the nuggets of brilliance. No one has the right to decide when a person should stop doing whaf they love.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ? Empty Re: Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ?

Post by Jahu Wed 22 May 2013, 9:26 pm

King, take a chill-pill, and don't ruin the seasons best romantic thread Whistle
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 9:31 pm

I genuinely see Federer as one of the best players ever to grace a tennis court. Sure he has flaws, he's not perfect as such, but hindsight will determine the amount of negative memories that will be relegated to the back of the mind.

I have the right to think when he should give up though, hoping it will be soon, I'd rather not watch him become the comedy act of tennis with nuggets of brilliance thrown in to balance the joke.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 9:32 pm

Jahu.....LOL !

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 22 May 2013, 9:35 pm

It was an honest question. I was actually interested, not attacking you, or Federer. At the moment he is still World #3, not sure he could be classified as a joke. Made a Slam final and is #6 on the Race To London.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 9:43 pm

King, didnt take it as such.

I am more concerned he will "become" a joke if he stretches it out to far and long. I'm not seriously thinking he will, but his timing is crucial atm, and this year would seem the best time to do it in my most humble opinion.

He may bag another slam somewhere along the line, but will it be worth it when his lustre begins to fade and the shine comes off his brilliance?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed 22 May 2013, 9:45 pm

JubbaIsle wrote:Feds new haircut has added years on him, or at least shown us just how old he is. I wonder if he has taken a long look in a mirror lately ?

He must see that the years are gaining on him, I really don't want to see him fritter away his halcyon sunset shoring up the top ten just because he loves competing. I'd hate to witness him acting out a kind of palooka punchbag, with journeymen using him as practice fodder.

I'm quite sure it won't come to that, but I would like to remember him for what he stood for, an exquisite, polished gem of perfection, weaving his web of entanglement with sublime shots from anywhere to anywhere. Point to point accuracy and an athletic abundance unrivalled by any other tennis athlete.

I'm sure when we all look back in years to come, if he retired this year, it would be with great affection, knowing we had witnessed a legend and managed to enjoy the spectacle and all the heart stopping moments and of course the glory that came with it.

I'm not a Federer fancier, but even as a Murray fan I can't deny his talent and it would be a crying shame if he tarnished that perception, that could go down in history as probably one of the greatest to have ever player the game, by continuing on a course of action that may see him die a slow death at the hands of lesser players.

Wimbledon is the tournament he won his first slam and bagged most of his wins on one surface, it would also be the one place he would get the best send-off and be in a world of such profound history that to end it there would have to be a most fitting end to an illustrious career. I hope beyond hope that he concedes that his career is very near to its culmination, but it must be wiser to bow out sooner rather than later and leave the scene on a high and look back and say he gave it it all when he was able to.

Or am I being too romantic ?

"tarnished the perception"............. does anyone care of talk about Sampras losing in 1st rounds of tournaments, ranked in the 20's before he won the last Major? Laver losing to college players on exhibitions tours at the end of his carrear? Michael Jordan limping up and down the court with the Wizards at the end? Nicklaus missing cut after cut? Ali being made to look like a club fighter by journeyman? No--------the greats are remembered for what they achieved. His legend is set. I think fans and experts well understand that age catches EVERYONE- and that these guys deserve to play however long they wish- at whatever level they can.

All but 2 maybe 3 players in the world in their prime right now would not want to trade abilities with Federer in his present state. He's still elite.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 9:57 pm

Good points Truffin and fair do's considering thoughts of past sportsmen who went on to compete in their Indian summers.

The trouble for me is, in the media hyped tabloids and TV ridden CCTV world of ours, such things are making headlines now, and didnt do so in the past. Players careers are picked clean under the microscopic intensity of this voyeuristic society and losing in the 1st round for Federer would be a major event and would be scrutinised and evaluated for all its worth.

With that in mind, its harder for players to "disappear" off the radar as in past decades.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 22 May 2013, 10:11 pm

Excellent article, JubbaIsle - but just a warning you are never allowed on these boards to suggest that Roger is fallible Wink

I'm not certain Roger's image, that has been carefully cultivated could stand a poor end to the year

Comparison's with Sampras are poor as 'Pistol' never bothered about what the press or players thought (witness his spat with Rafter that goes on even now) or was bothered about his standing in the universe

Roger clearly is - everything to do with him is carefully constructed etc. I mean he is the Tony Blair of Tennis, but with a gift from the gods

So, I too would worry if he gets an early exit at the French or Wimbledon, which is quite feasible. The most disappointing thing about his Rome thrashing at the hands of Rafa, is that he hardly had a test leading into the match and yet still he came up short. I'd argue that Andy's most careless performance, of this year, was not ruthlessly crushing Roger in 3 sets at the Aus Open

Basically, Roger now struggles to beat his three rivals and when you consider how dominant he was up to 2008 and pretty dominant for 4 years after, do we really think that the doubts are not creeping in and others licking their lips?

Obviosuly not, as we get articles implying that his thrashing against Rafa gave us a new way forward for him!!

Hopefully, Roger isn't a delusional as some of his fans. If he accepts his position then he could still come back and win another Slam

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 22 May 2013, 10:22 pm

BanBro- I must admit I found that thread pretty funny. I didnt even comment, for fear of being heckled out of the forum. I can only wonder if a similar thread was started when Nadal lost 3 & 0 in the WTF.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 22 May 2013, 10:23 pm

Two points:

1) I don't think losing to journeymen in his 30s (if it comes to that) tarnishes his reputation at all. 17 slams and 300 weeks can't be reduced.

2) I do smile when I hear people say "wouldn't it be great if he could go out on a high and win one more Wimbledon".

Last year saw him win his 17th slam (7th Wimbledon) and get back to number 1 at age 31, beating two of leading lights of the younger generation along the way. It was a sporting moment that was perfect in every way.

And people want the stars to align for him again?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 22 May 2013, 10:42 pm

banbrotam wrote:Roger clearly is - everything to do with him is carefully constructed etc.

Except for all those post-match press conferences where he upsets fans of all the other players Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 10:46 pm

I think Roger is a special case as far as tennis entities go.

His career at the top spans 10 years, but the enigma is that he spent 4 years after turning pro doing nothing spectacular apart from winning the Hopman cup. and getting to the QF's of two slams in 2001. some Masters wins followed but until he made the final of Wimbledon 2003 and won that title, he was only a player with great potential.

What made him suddenly hit top gear and become the slam animal for the next 10 yrs is debatable, but raising the bar was one reason he remained so formidable. His dominance for that period, forget weak era for now, on 2 surfaces was not an accident or luck, it was raw talent and determination.

Tarnishing may be the wrong word to use, but I certainly think his reputation may blur into mediocrity somewhat in the light of a possible dwindling career.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 22 May 2013, 10:47 pm

You've summed things up very succinctly TRuffin. A perfect example of why it's often so useful to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

JubbaIsle, I don't disagree with all the points in your article, but I certainly do find your opening paragraph quite bizarre and am at a loss to make much sense of it. What on earth has his new haircut or reflection in the mirror got to do with the merits or otherwise of a possible retirement ? Can we just stick to his tennis rather than your opinion of his personal appearance ?

banbrotam - in this media savvy age where all the top players use all manner of advisers and consultants I simply refuse to accept that you truly believe Federer to be the only guy whose image is "carefully cultivated" In fact to quote Mac ..... I have to say that you cannot be serious Wink

Last edited by lags72 on Wed 22 May 2013, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 10:50 pm

Oh come on Lags, give me some room for embellishment, its not a style comment, more a indication of my surprise at how old he looked compared to the ever youthful appearance he had for the last umpteenth years with long locks of black hair.

Tch! getting all romantic again... rose

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 22 May 2013, 10:53 pm

Me bed beckons....syonara peeps. zen

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 22 May 2013, 10:57 pm

Well ok jubbaIsle but it didn't really come across like that. Either way, can't say he looks much older to me just because his hair is shorter (and if it troubles you that much, just relax in the knowledge that it WILL grow long again if he lets it ..... !)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 22 May 2013, 11:03 pm

banbrotam wrote:Excellent article, JubbaIsle - but just a warning you are never allowed on these boards to suggest that Roger is fallible Wink

I'm not certain Roger's image, that has been carefully cultivated could stand a poor end to the year

Comparison's with Sampras are poor as 'Pistol' never bothered about what the press or players thought (witness his spat with Rafter that goes on even now) or was bothered about his standing in the universe

Roger clearly is - everything to do with him is carefully constructed etc. I mean he is the Tony Blair of Tennis, but with a gift from the gods

So, I too would worry if he gets an early exit at the French or Wimbledon, which is quite feasible. The most disappointing thing about his Rome thrashing at the hands of Rafa, is that he hardly had a test leading into the match and yet still he came up short. I'd argue that Andy's most careless performance, of this year, was not ruthlessly crushing Roger in 3 sets at the Aus Open

Basically, Roger now struggles to beat his three rivals and when you consider how dominant he was up to 2008 and pretty dominant for 4 years after, do we really think that the doubts are not creeping in and others licking their lips?

Obviosuly not, as we get articles implying that his thrashing against Rafa gave us a new way forward for him!!

Hopefully, Roger isn't a delusional as some of his fans. If he accepts his position then he could still come back and win another Slam
What do you mean by Federers image couldn't stand a poor year? That makes no sense.

It's been obvious for many years that Rogers best was behind him, but he still manages now and then to pull something together, most remarkably when rising from near retirement against Benneteau and Mallisse last year to defeat Djokovic and Murray and take #17, and reclaim the #1 position. That was less than a year ago.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 22 May 2013, 11:05 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
banbrotam wrote:Roger clearly is - everything to do with him is carefully constructed etc.

Except for all those post-match press conferences where he upsets fans of all the other players Smile

I'd have thought a Murray fan would be only too aware of Federer's unvarnished post match conferences,
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 22 May 2013, 11:22 pm

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon? Well I suppose if he did, it would be real slap in the face to the Basel tournament director, after all fuss about him playing there or not this year.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 May 2013, 1:13 am

Federer has a 'lifetime' contract with Halle. Ralf Weber will be very unhappy, as would be Rio. Laugh

I look at Moya, ATP #1 in 1999, retired #510+ as an inspiration to all professionals who love this sport, not just look at Borg, who chose to walk away, but did try a comeback.

Federer has good advisers around him so he will listen to himself and his team before making such a decision.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 23 May 2013, 3:33 am

Will Federer bow out at Wimbledon ?
If the question were meant as in "will Wimbledon (in some future year) be the last tournament Roger will play?" then I think it is a fair question, and who knows, maybe it will. Many people seem to think it would be Basel, but why not Wimbledon?

As it is, the question was asked about this year's Wimbledon, so the answer has to be: LOL

More generally, I certainly do not share the sentiment that a great champion should bow out before they slip significantly, let alone the notion that losing matches at an older age "tarnishes" their legacy (as opposed to not playing at all which keeps the legacy shiny and new???).

It is a very odd view to take to suggest that the fact that age catches up with a player somehow hurts their place in history. Age, in general, tends to catch up with people. I would be surprised if Federer were an exception. But that does not mean he cannot continue to enjoy tennis. And if he does, why should he stop playing? If anything, I have an increased respect for a player who - having done it all - continues to enjoy playing and is able to find challenges even though his game is not what it once was.

I hope he continues to play at least through Rio 2016, and I believe he will do that. And if he wants to, why not bow out at Wimbledon - 2017 or later?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 23 May 2013, 6:34 am

JubbaIsle. Reading your post it's all about you. Or rather what Federer should do so YOU still have maximum respect for him. Maybe he should have asked you about getting his hair cut? The reality is Federer can do whatever he pleases and will continue to be given huge respect and appreciation from those that don't expect the same from a 31/32 year old player as they do from a 25 year old one...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 23 May 2013, 8:07 am

I cant understand the defensive remarks of "Roger can do as he pleases" well I dont think the OP is suggesting he shouldn´t. EVERYONE should do as they please. However as an observer I think we are entitled to make comment as to what we would like see happen from our own perspective. I ,like the OP, am not a Federer fan (as by now you all know) but I have enormous respect for him. I for one would like to see him retire on a "high". I have never wept in my pillow at his defeats but on Sunday receiving such a drubbing (even though it was from my own particular favourite) I felt enormously sorry for him. I would hate to see him repeatedly get a public humiliation from those at the top. When him himself had been the top of the that pile for so long. If this was just a mild hiccup from Roger I would say nothing but I personally believe he is at the top of a long slippery slope and has nowhere to go but down.

PS.. I would feel the same if it were Rafa.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 8:53 am

I don't think Roger is one for walking away at the top because the career he has had reflects so. Federer for me cares too much for the sport and also loves playing the game. I think if anything if his body can't hold up to the strains of the game that he would walk away more than titles drying up. Federer has been superb at conditioning and also managing his schedule fantastically. He can still play for a few more years still.

Take Sampras. For him it was important to walk out at the top than retire when his body said so. For me he spent 2 years chasing that last Slam and even if he hadn't won the US Open 2002 I still think he would've played on until he won another Slam. Like Becker too. For me despite his swash-buckling game he wanted to win and that was more important to him than playing. Federer is not made that way. He enjoys playing the game. He feels a responsibility to the game. I think Federer would much rather be remembered for improving the game and leaving it a good place than a multi-slam winner.

Federer may not have the on court personality say of a Connors or McEnroe, but he thrives on the competition and would be the first to congraulate anyone that has outplayed him. If players are driven by winning rather than playing will look to go out Sampras style.

Federer had a poor year by his standards in 2011 when he didn't win a Slam and to many that was the start of the decline until he proved everyone wrong with a 7th Wimbledon in 2012. Federer has got the mix spot on with tennis and his personal life and because he is happy with both why would he want to stop playing because the titles have dried up? Look at Haas. It is refreshing to see players enjoy their careers and more importantly their lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 23 May 2013, 9:10 am

Answer to OP, no he won't retire at Wimbledon this year or next.

When he retires it will likely be where it all started for him in 1998, his hometown of Basel.
Given he'll likely still qualify for WTF13 he won't retire at Basel 2013.
However, he may find it a lot harder next year. He'll likely play even fewer events...almost just the slams like Sampras did...then finally bow out at Basel 2014. That's my prediction.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 May 2013, 1:11 pm

legendkillarv2 wrote:Look at Haas. It is refreshing to see players enjoy their careers and more importantly their lives.

Ferrer, Lopez, Stepanek, Berlocq, ... many in 30+ segment who still enjoy Tennis.

@H-n... it is not a defensive do-as-he-pleases, IMVHO, rather a have-a-bit-of-fun attitude.

@Lydian... Federer wants to play Rio 2016, and I think he still can, even if he leaves ATP. (Will check Olympics requirements).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 23 May 2013, 2:48 pm

@H-n... it is not a defensive do-as-he-pleases, IMVHO, rather a have-a-bit-of-fun attitude

your observation LF .. ?? Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by antonico Thu 23 May 2013, 2:50 pm

kingraf wrote:It was an honest question. I was actually interested, not attacking you, or Federer. At the moment he is still World #3, not sure he could be classified as a joke. Made a Slam final and is #6 on the Race To London.

Federer made a "Slam Final" this year??

antonico

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 23 May 2013, 6:33 pm

King has lost it a little in this thread.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 6:58 pm

No.

He will play for at least another three years. Sure he will suffer more and more galling defeats (for some of his fans) but he will also win some big titles including at least one slam. The only caveat is if he remains healthy and motivated. For me, still a top three player in three of the four slams (AUS being the exception).

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Thu 23 May 2013, 7:11 pm

Thank you emancipator for answering my question directly.

Lots of people coming to the conclusion that I "want" him to retire or I'll bust a gut.

Not so, its a thought process given he has only made three finals in the last thirteen and won one. I didn't know about his previous commitments to Basel etc, so Lydian's breakdown may be more in line with my feelings.

I know Basel was his birth place and retiring there would be a nice thing to do, but would it be a fitting end ?

I still stand by my conviction that I'd prefer him to retire before he went stale, but he won SW19 last year and the man is big enough to win another, so my respect would not diminish if he carried on, but my gut feeling is that his reputation could suffer, its not a perfect science trying to predict things like this, but I wanted to ask the question as there are a large number of Fed fans on here.

Whatever he does, I'm sure he will have enough sound advice to make the right decision, not matter what I think.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 May 2013, 10:25 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
laverfan wrote:@H-n... it is not a defensive do-as-he-pleases, IMVHO, rather a have-a-bit-of-fun attitude
your observation LF .. ?? Erm

I did not mean to be so cryptic. Sorry

In Federer's case, he is having a bit of fun, in his sunset years.

Quite a few posters feel there is not much left for him to accomplish, perhaps a GS and a DC (or an Olympic Gold) is what eludes him, both unlikely at this point.

He has his work cut out if he wants to retire a la Sampras. Respect for Federer from Nadal fans (who are not Federer fans as well) is a fantastic complement.

Perhaps if he did not have a family, he might push himself a bit more and experiment much more than he does.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 23 May 2013, 11:08 pm

I couldn't help but smile at the somewhat skewed spin you managed to put on things there laverfan, wrt Federer retiring "a la Sampras" - as though Sampras had somehow achieved things beyond Fed's reach.

He had every opportunity to do a Sampras by retiring after Wimbledon last year - at which point he already had three more Slams than Pete, more ATP titles, more match wins, a career GS, and more weeks at Number One. But he chose not to. If you're suggesting he should now aim to end with FOUR more Slams than Pete ..... Yes, that will be quite a challenge, sure.

One point I certainly do agree with is the growing sense of priority that family time will continue to take in Fed's work/life balance.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 23 May 2013, 11:55 pm

He's on Twitter now so you can ask him yourself, if you dare Wink
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 24 May 2013, 12:29 am

Am perfectly happy to debate the matter on a forum or in the pub.

But could never imagine myself daring to ask The Man himself ........notworthy

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down