The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread

+10
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
NickisBHAFC
Fernando
Crimey
Ent
VDT
Good Golly I'm Olly
mystiroakey
Duty281
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread - Page 4 Empty 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 6:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Starts on the 5th June in Israel. Only 8 teams are in it, so it will all be over in a fortnight. Very simple format, 2 groups of 4, with the top 2 from each group going through to the Semi-Finals. The groups are:

Spoiler:

The schedule (all times BST):

Spoiler:

Squad Lists
BBC's Preview

From an England perspective, it does look like a good squad. Butland, Caulker, Henderson, Rose, Zaha, Shelvey, and Wickham are all names that jump out at you. England are once more led by the experienced Stuart Pearce, who has led England in this tournament in 2007 (lost on penalties in the semis), 2009 (tonked in the final by Germany), and 2011 (knocked out in the groups). Hopes are high, but England haven't triumphed in this tournament since 1984.

All games for UK viewers are live on Sky Sports with commentary of England games on Radio Five Live.

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm; edited 7 times in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread

Post by The Special Juan Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm

Duty281 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:A good idea for an article unless it's already been done is to answer the question of who is the greatest sporting nation in the world?  You have to think it's Spain these days because:

They're undoubtedly the greatest team in the world's biggest sport (and possibly ever)
They have one of the best tennis players ever (and a few other good players too)
They are dominant in Moto GP
They have a great F1 driver
They have a great cyclist

Any more to add?

Easily England.

Have a decent chance of winning the Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, and Rugby League World cups. Who else can say that?
Only country to win the Football and Rugby Union World cups - the 1st and 3rd biggest sporting events in the World.
Have a few World champion boxers.
Best cyclists in the World.
Best rowers in the World.
Have some of the greatest golfers in the World - Rose, Donald, Westwood, Poulter.
England alone, excluding the rest of the UK, got more golds at the Olympics than the likes of Italy, France, Spain, and Germany.
Darts is a sport isn't it? England dominate there. Same goes for snooker.
I think we do OK for Horse Racing as well.

And I've might missed a few, but there we go. Greatest sporting nation in the World? England.

I admire your patriotism.

Everything we have, trumps Spain. And trumps any other foreign land.

Tennis?  Motor racing? Both massive global sports.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Thread

Post by GSC Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Spain have Alonso.

We have 3 drivers and like 6 teams.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:A good idea for an article unless it's already been done is to answer the question of who is the greatest sporting nation in the world?  You have to think it's Spain these days because:

They're undoubtedly the greatest team in the world's biggest sport (and possibly ever)
They have one of the best tennis players ever (and a few other good players too)
They are dominant in Moto GP
They have a great F1 driver
They have a great cyclist

Any more to add?

Easily England.

Have a decent chance of winning the Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, and Rugby League World cups. Who else can say that?
Only country to win the Football and Rugby Union World cups - the 1st and 3rd biggest sporting events in the World.
Have a few World champion boxers.
Best cyclists in the World.
Best rowers in the World.
Have some of the greatest golfers in the World - Rose, Donald, Westwood, Poulter.
England alone, excluding the rest of the UK, got more golds at the Olympics than the likes of Italy, France, Spain, and Germany.
Darts is a sport isn't it? England dominate there. Same goes for snooker.
I think we do OK for Horse Racing as well.

And I've might missed a few, but there we go. Greatest sporting nation in the World? England.

I admire your patriotism.

Everything we have, trumps Spain. And trumps any other foreign land.

Tennis?  Motor racing?  Both massive global sports.

They can have tennis. I might have to take your word for motor racing. But is that all Spain can claim to be better at us than?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm

GSC wrote:Spain have Alonso.

We have 3 drivers and like 6 teams.

But Alonso is a mile better than any of those drivers, isn't he? I didn't take them teams into account because, for the purposes of my argument, it's more about the people doing the actual racing than who owns teams and such.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

A bit better than Hamilton in recent years. but Hamilton also beat him in the same car as a rookie.

We're ahead on F1 confortably all things considered.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 19 Jun 2013, 1:03 pm

Probably. I could think of more English F1 winners the Spanish, put it that way.

As I said though, it's an interesting idea for an article *hint hint*
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4