The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions

+14
jimmyinthewell68
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
InjuredYetAgain
thebluesmancometh
flankertye
bluestonevedder
dummy_half
Submachine
wales606
Notch
GunsGerms
RubyGuby
Mickado
18 posters

Go down

The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions Empty The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 am

Was talking to a former poster on these boards about her beloved Scarlets and she mentioned Liam "Sanjay" Williams as being a player she liked a lot but would hate if he wasn't on her team, I said that Leo Cullen was the same.

What players do you spend 3.5 years disliking, but then really get behind when they line out for the Lions?

I know the diplomatic answer here is "I get behind all of them" and that's fair enough, but the contrast in my opinion of some players before and during a Lions tour can be striking.

Take Mike Phillips, a pain in d'arse when playing against Ireland, a bloody constant nuisance, but it's great to have a player like him in the Lions team.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions Empty Re: The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:15 am

BOD thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions Empty Re: The Liam Williams / Leo Cullen effect of the Lions

Post by GunsGerms Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 am

Dan Cole was an utter nuisance in the 6N so I was looking forward to seeing him for the Lions. He hasnt shown the same form yet but no doubt he will.

Wales have won quite a few tight games recently thanks the 1/2p's lazer like goal kicking so Im sure he will prove to be a real asset to the Lions.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 am

Phillips probably. Now that Hartley is out the rest are rather likable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:36 am

Healy, Sexton and O'Brien

Especially after the Wales vs Ireland game this year Sad
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 am

The only player who isn't likable apart from Phillips is Farrell- and he is yet to offset that by actually being good.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 am

Notch wrote:The only player who isn't likable apart from Phillips is Farrell- and he is yet to offset that by actually being good.

Ben Youngs is a close one for me thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 am

Was gonna say, there doesn't seem to be many ego maniacs on board. I am however becoming quite fond of Tuilagi. Always great to watch but seems much more mature now. At 21? you don't expect flying haymakers or olympic diving anymore.
I can see where non Irish posters might put BOD in there. Love the guy, but his scrunchy face and squeaky voice can be a bit annoying.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:10 am

Before the 09 tour I wasn't too keen on Croft, not his fault but the Sky commentators were sucking farts out of him on the run up to the HC final that year, so I had a preconceived idea that he was a bit of a show pony, but after the 09 Lions tour he impressed me, particularly when it came to a bit of argie bargie, he never started it, but he let the Boks know that they (Matfield) wouldn't have a free dig on our lads (BOD).

If I wasn't Irish I wouldn't like Sexton, so I'd imagine there's a few non-Irish getting to enjoy him playing well for once.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 am

Mick

I don't think Sexton has done enough to annoy opposing fans - most just agree that he's a very good player and the best Lions-eligible 10 at getting a back line moving. And BOD is just a great player, so we like him even as an opponent.

Paul O'Connell on the other hand is just an absolute nuisance as an opponent, so I hate seeing him on the oppositin and am very happy to see him lining up for a team I can get behind...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 am

There are players I always hate seeing lineup against my team, whether it be Tigers or England.

Of all of them though, I would say that Ferris, O'Brien, Adam Jones, Beattie, Rougerie, and Parisse from a 6 Nations perspective. I love those boys that qualify for the Lions though. They are exactly the sort of guys you cheer for when they are on your side.

Schalk Burger, Etzebeth, and Pocock are others.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 am

Players Ive always liked are Heaslip, Sexton, Bowe, Best, POC, Corbisiero, Robshaw and a few more thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 am

Halfpenny, SOB, Cuthbert

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 am

Oh and BOD of course, can always rely on him for a try when you really need it. Did it against England a few years ago, dive from close range. The ba***rd

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:11 am

There aren't really that many players from the NH who have annoyed me with their performances, most times Wales are beat it seems to be because of some very good unit skills or our lack of prep.

I do however dislike playing against Best at club level, he always seems to have blinders v Welsh opposition, and is a real dog and thorn in the side of teams, was dissapointed when he wasn't called up but was also dissapointed by him the other day too.

Hartley is another one, never particularly good on the int stage, but didn't half cause a bit of agro, and riled Welsh players up, was looking forward to supporting him secretly!

That aside there are no real players that have hurt Wales individually, well certainly none that didn't deserve their plaudits anyway.

The dislikable players such as Ashton, Haskell, Care etc aren't really up to much on the international stage.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 am

I can imagine non Scots would hate Nathan Hines. Always causing grief, starting fights etc
I don't really know why but I dislike Manu Tuilagi orJames Haskell but would quite like it had they been Scottish

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:I can imagine non Scots would hate Nathan Hines. Always causing grief, starting fights etc
I don't really know why but I dislike Manu Tuilagi orJames Haskell but would quite like it had they been Scottish

Hines can't buy a drink in Dublin, he was our bollix for a few happy years and we'd have him back in a shot. But yeah non-Scottish / non-Leinster fans probably find him to be a pain.

Gonna add Foxy Davies to this list, Plays well for Wales, hands like t*ts for the Scarlets. So he lures you into a false sense of security at international level. Not an *annoying* player as such though.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Can't think of anyone in the Lions squad tbh they do all genuinely seem good guys.

I agree with the sentiments re Liam Williams though he always seems to look to antagonise & it's made worse because he doesn't look built for rugby & has straggly long hair & a gaunt face. Crazy really but he is one of those players that I look for now expecting some argy bargy.

Actually just thought of one, on the subject of hair - Hibbard ! Hair is too long & worst of all dyed. Can you imagine him sat in a hairdressers getting his streaks done?
Truly Shocking!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

O'Connell, Ben Youngs, Tuilagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

dummy_half wrote:Paul O'Connell on the other hand is just an absolute nuisance as an opponent, so I hate seeing him on the oppositin and am very happy to see him lining up for a team I can get behind...

+1.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Ashton Ashton Ashton but only because of the swan dives

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:38 pm

POC! As an England and Quins fan I frickin hate him the balding, pasty skinned, lineout dominating twerp!

But for the Lions I love him, even his silly bald head.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Some interesting posts.

I find it very difficult to dislike any player whom I have never met or spoken to

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Allty wrote:Some interesting posts.

I find it very difficult to dislike any player whom I have never met or spoken to

Maybe I misread the OP, but isnt the point that its not someone you personally dislike but rather someone you dont like seeing on the other team?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 pm

IronMike wrote:
Allty wrote:Some interesting posts.

Maybe I misread the OP, but isnt the point that its not someone you personally dislike but rather someone you dont like seeing on the other team?

That's it, it's just a lighthearted thing. I don't HATE any player, some of them get up my nose, but it's certainly nothing personal.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I detest Parra!!!...and will always detest him because he'll never be a Lion, Wink so I'll never get a chance to see him joyfully slap Sexton on the back or be hoisted in the air and given a mighty man hug by Paulie for creating a wonderful try.

Fantastic little basteraud but I hate players who get under Irish skins. He's one.

Another guy I used to hate was Nathan Hines (he was just far too good at being a monumental pain in the 'mule') Then he came to Leinster and of course I could then appreciate his getting-in-your-face talents without worrying. Miss him a lot from the Leinster makeup.

Okay, getting on to the Lions. There are not many Welsh guys I hate when they play against us. They annoy me because they're so good of course and you're always in that heart-attack game to the very last minute with them. They never know when to take their bloody beating!

Phillips is a scrum half and I hate them most of all, and he's an absolute thorn in the side of Irish sides. I shout at them to be careful of him and they never are. They always take their eye off him, he always goes for a quick penalty and he's always leering after making us look silly

I know the Welsh often don't regard him, but for me, he's their soul and he'd be my 9 without even having to play another warm-up game. I also loved when he chased in to support O'Driscoll during a scrap at the last tour. That's the bonds I like to see happen in the Lions, when warriors from separate teams become genuine brothers on the field.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Adam Jones, Jamie Roberts, Mike Phillips, Leigh Halfpenny, Manu Tuilagi, Ritchie Gray and George North all come to mind.....

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Phillips is a scrum half and I hate them most of all, and he's an absolute thorn in the side of Irish sides. I shout at them to be careful of him and they never are. They always take their eye off him, he always goes for a quick penalty and he's always leering after making us look silly

I know the Welsh often don't regard him, but for me, he's their soul and he'd be my 9 without even having to play another warm-up game. I also loved when he chased in to support O'Driscoll during a scrap at the last tour. That's the bonds I like to see happen in the Lions, when warriors from separate teams become genuine brothers on the field.

Totally agree Fly. Phillips is awesome when he's on form, a real key man for the Lions.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:I detest Parra!!!...and will always detest him because he'll never be a Lion, Wink so I'll never get a chance to see him joyfully slap Sexton on the back or be hoisted in the air and given a mighty man hug by Paulie for creating a wonderful try.

Fantastic little basteraud but I hate players who get under Irish skins. He's one.

Another guy I used to hate was Nathan Hines (he was just far too good at being a monumental pain in the 'mule') Then he came to Leinster and of course I could then appreciate his getting-in-your-face talents without worrying. Miss him a lot from the Leinster makeup.

Okay, getting on to the Lions. There are not many Welsh guys I hate when they play against us. They annoy me because they're so good of course and you're always in that heart-attack game to the very last minute with them. They never know when to take their bloody beating!

Himself and Croft, they went up several notches in my estimation in that moment alone, nothing to do with them "protecting one of ours" just as you say, the bonds they create, special to see.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

There you go Fly Phillips piling in to help his mate BOD out in a fight - that's what it's about unity in adversity - Then I ask my mate to help me with my fecking emoticons and where does he go - Unity my arXXXXXXXXX!!! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 pm

What was all that about, Ruby? Why could you not find your thumbsup

I offered you three of them and you weren't having any of it Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm

thumbsup I've been given a new Ipad as the IT budget had money left over - Never used one before so went on the 606 site last night when wife was snoring and when you send a message it's all different and I can't find my signature - It's like writing without any clothes on - People on here need that after my posts - it makes them feel more secure - a bit like a water mark - Otherwise anyone could be posting as me - I think the RugbyShrink used to try the same thing thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down