The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanchez, is he any good?

+4
GB1919
Grizzly
BamBam
AdZacO
8 posters

Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by AdZacO Sun 08 May 2011, 6:53 pm

While we had the QB tier topic a few poeple mentioned their thoughts on Sanchez. I personally don't think he is very good, too early to call him a bust, but still behind the progress he should be on. In camparison, fellow 2009 draftee Josh Freeman has excelled.

Sanchez is on a good team, reaching the conference game the alst two years. He has a good running game behind him, and had some good weapons in Edwards, Holmes and Keller. But his stats are not impressive. Also his stats when behind, or in the 4th quarter are very poor, and this is the time hat you need your QB to be clutch. He is also is in a system that suits his skill set.

Am i being unfair and thinking he is below par? Is another year required to see if he will suceed? Or do you think he is a poor QB too?




AdZacO

Posts : 468
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by BamBam Sun 08 May 2011, 7:02 pm

I think this is going to be a key year for Sanchez. If he doesn't step up and perform then he will be under severe pressure. He isn't the worst QB in the league but he has shown a real inability to make plays when he needs to. Everyone says he has a great defence and running game so all he has to do is manage the game but I think there is more to it. When he has no pressure on him for a lot of the time, it is slightly unfair to expect him to suddenly step up and make plays when they do fall behind in a big way, such as against hte Steelers last year. The only real exception may be Roethlisberger but he is perfectly capable of putting them on his back

The best QBs in the league are on teams who will throw the ball and often so they get more of a game rhythm. Everyone knows that those teams are recognised as passing teams, where as the Jets are seen as a smashmouth team. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation as the Jets can't call pass every play because he hasn't shown he can pass them to victory on his own, but he needs the throws to get into his stride.

Bit of a ramble but thats my take on it

BamBam

Posts : 16936
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by AdZacO Sun 08 May 2011, 7:09 pm

bambamwillis wrote:I think this is going to be a key year for Sanchez. If he doesn't step up and perform then he will be under severe pressure. He isn't the worst QB in the league but he has shown a real inability to make plays when he needs to. Everyone says he has a great defence and running game so all he has to do is manage the game but I think there is more to it. When he has no pressure on him for a lot of the time, it is slightly unfair to expect him to suddenly step up and make plays when they do fall behind in a big way, such as against hte Steelers last year. The only real exception may be Roethlisberger but he is perfectly capable of putting them on his back

The best QBs in the league are on teams who will throw the ball and often so they get more of a game rhythm. Everyone knows that those teams are recognised as passing teams, where as the Jets are seen as a smashmouth team. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation as the Jets can't call pass every play because he hasn't shown he can pass them to victory on his own, but he needs the throws to get into his stride.

Bit of a ramble but thats my take on it

agree with what you said, but Freeman threw the ball less, but found his rhytmn. Maybe comparison is unfair.

AdZacO

Posts : 468
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Grizzly Mon 09 May 2011, 8:56 am

Sanchez is OK IMO, he doesn't need to be spectacular in that offence.
The whole team is built around tough defence who will keep them in games, occasional west coast and hard running game.
When they strengthened at WR last off season I expected them to become more of an aerial offence but it never really happened, in fact they ranked #22 in reg season passing and #30 in completion percentage.
Yet despite all that they made the championship game....

Grizzly

Posts : 876
Join date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by GB1919 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:48 am

Grizzly wrote:Sanchez is OK IMO, he doesn't need to be spectacular in that offence.
The whole team is built around tough defence who will keep them in games, occasional west coast and hard running game.
When they strengthened at WR last off season I expected them to become more of an aerial offence but it never really happened, in fact they ranked #22 in reg season passing and #30 in completion percentage.
Yet despite all that they made the championship game....

To be honest I think this is Sanchez's problem, he is ok, he doesn't need to be more than ok in that team and they are winning. Whilst this is the case he is never going to be under too much pressure and as a result he is not going to push himself to improve. However there will come a point where the Jets need more from their QB than they do currently and as things stand they won't get it from Sanchez. Given this I can't understand why Ryan isn't working to get more from Sanchez rather than praise everything he does (other than the obvious reason that all he does is talk up his team).

GB1919

Posts : 565
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Aberdeen

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Derbyblue Mon 09 May 2011, 11:05 am

He’s ok. His stats have improved from last year 5 more touchdowns (still only 17), 7 less interceptions, 850 more yards, a slightly increased completion percentage (still only 54.8%), one less fumble, 2 less fumbles lost, and just as productive rushing but from less attempts. When the team can average 148.4 rushing yards per game you don’t need an amazing quarterback but a good one would help.

Maybe losing in the championship game for a second year in a row will spur him on to improve further this year, and take the Jets all the way, and if not maybe they should look at getting a new quarterback?

Derbyblue

Posts : 4528
Join date : 2011-03-24

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Grizzly Mon 09 May 2011, 11:25 am

He doesn't need to be that good, Jets don't need a star QB because their game doesn't suit a passing offence, they need an offence manager, someone to hand off predominently. If you can run for close 150 yards a game you won't have or need a great passing game.
He suits them, I wouldn't say anyone within would be satisfied with a 54% completion rate but they certainly don't need a Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees/Rivers type QB, I think they'd get as bored playing there as I get watching them....

Grizzly

Posts : 876
Join date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by skins4ever Mon 09 May 2011, 1:26 pm

IMHO the problem with Sanchez is he hasn't learnt how to change gear. There are plenty of QB's that have had great running games, but have managed to step it up when needed.

It is largely about rhythm and leadership. If the QB is fully in synch with his team, he can step up the pace and they will match him. If he is playing within himself, then usually they will too. Sanchez needs to learn to not just be a figurehead for the offence, but also to actually drag them up to his level. The question is can he attain and maintain that level of play himself. The only thing there is, has he been given the proper opportunity to do so and if not, can he learnt how to when given the opportunity?

skins4ever

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by twelve283 Mon 09 May 2011, 2:56 pm

He is what he is and right now that’s a “game manager”. It’s not a bad thing it’s just what the Jets offense asks of him for the most part. Statistically (I heart stats) he’s not much to look at but he has the ability to run an offense and make a big play, although he’s not consistent in that regard. Personally I’m not a fan and I don’t believe he deserves some of the hype he receives, I didn’t see him make massive strides last season especially in the accuracy department and with his decision making and these are areas I would expect to see an improvement.

twelve283

Posts : 904
Join date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by skins4ever Mon 09 May 2011, 5:59 pm

The one thing I'd add, is don't forget the sophomore slump. Many rookies come into their first season with relatively low expectations and load, and often a cut down play book. Year 2 it all changes and they have to step it up, and many struggle.

Maybe the fact Sanchez didn't struggle last year is a good thing (i.e. he was consistent with the way he played with the 'training wheels on'), and this is the year they expect him to step it up?

skins4ever

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Derbyblue Mon 09 May 2011, 6:48 pm

I think he needs to improve this year to make the Jets go any further, I would guess that in a year or two if he stays at his current level they might start looking for a replacement, while they have other needs on their team he is decent enough to keep them performing well.

Derbyblue

Posts : 4528
Join date : 2011-03-24

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by GB1919 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:36 pm

skins4ever wrote:The one thing I'd add, is don't forget the sophomore slump. Many rookies come into their first season with relatively low expectations and load, and often a cut down play book. Year 2 it all changes and they have to step it up, and many struggle.

Maybe the fact Sanchez didn't struggle last year is a good thing (i.e. he was consistent with the way he played with the 'training wheels on'), and this is the year they expect him to step it up?

The flip side being that perhaps Sanchez didn't struggle because they haven't taken the training wheels off yet. The thought might be that they managed fine with him playing that way so why not continue with it. The obvious disadvantage being that when they need him he won't have developed enough to give them what they're after.

GB1919

Posts : 565
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Aberdeen

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by skins4ever Tue 10 May 2011, 9:48 am

You are a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you? Wink

skins4ever

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by GB1919 Tue 10 May 2011, 10:15 am

Does it really show through that much? I prefer the term realist to pessimist mind you.

GB1919

Posts : 565
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Aberdeen

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Derbyblue Tue 10 May 2011, 10:38 am

GB1919's got a good point though unless someone wants to go study all the games from the past two seasons we don't know if they gave him a full playbook, or if they just gave him a few extra plays, or nothing new at all?

Derbyblue

Posts : 4528
Join date : 2011-03-24

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by AdZacO Tue 10 May 2011, 11:59 am

The consensus seems to be he is ok, and that just a game manager in that system. Well then should the next question, why on earth would you pick a QB 6th overall and with the contract that comes with (60m, with 28 gurenteed over 5 years) to just try not to throw the game away.

Many Qbs in a West Coast system have been statistical stars, such as Montana, Young and Elway, just to mention a few hall of famers. So I have to agree with the people saying he is working of a simplified play book, and the Jets are hoping he will improve in his 3rd year.

AdZacO

Posts : 468
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by twelve283 Tue 10 May 2011, 4:39 pm

AdZacO wrote:The consensus seems to be he is ok, and that just a game manager in that system. Well then should the next question, why on earth would you pick a QB 6th overall and with the contract that comes with (60m, with 28 gurenteed over 5 years) to just try not to throw the game away.

I doubt that any team drafts a quarterback just to be a "game manager" but the Jets coaching staff are putting Sanchez in the best position to win them games, which is the goal after all. No doubt they are hoping/expecting that he'll continue to improve and be in a position to win them Super Bowls.

Just on the point a few people have made about him not being given the full reign of the offense, while that might be true, it's worth pointing out that his pass attempts in 2010 went up to 507 form the 364 he had in 2009 so his involvement in the offense has clearly increased. I think it's worth remembering that in terms of experience he's still pretty raw, he only had one season of starting experience at USC, and I think you have to take that into account when looking at his projected development.

twelve283

Posts : 904
Join date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Iain Sun 07 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

The opening post is flat out wrong when it says that Sanchez hasn't stepped up in late and close situations or in big games. Truth is these are the times he has excelled.

His playoff performance are excluded from the stats that are used to assess him, but show an altogether different picture than his patchy regular season statistics. In the biggest games of his career so far he has played his best football.

If you doubt how clutch he is then go look at the final drive of our game with Houston from last season - 50 seconds to drive 70-odd yards for a touchdown, game on the line. Or maybe his Q4 and OT performances in Detroit and Cleveland. Or his performance in the loss at Chicago.

In addition, he has the confidence of his teammates and has shown great leadership this offseason.

To say Freeman is better off the back of no playoff wins, no wins over good teams in games that mattered to both sides and not even any playoff appearances is premature. Sanchez has played in and won many big games, Freeman hasn't shown he can do that yet. When it comes to QBs I'll take wins over stats every time.

Iain

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Sanchez, is he any good? Empty Re: Sanchez, is he any good?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum