The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists

+22
Union Cane
Adam D
Enforcer
Dr Gregory House MD
VDT
Galted
ChequeredJersey
kingjohn7
Kenny
Dolphin Ziggler
The Womble
The Special Juan
Il Gialloblu
Mind the windows Tino.
Stella
JuliusHMarx
Hero
seanmichaels
Crimey
mystiroakey
Rowley
sodhat
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pick your favourite two...

Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 10 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 14 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 13 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 106

Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Empty Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 am

First topic message reminder :

I really wanted to call this round 'coffin botherers' but I refrained so as not to offend the sensibilities of the wider forum.

Last round was a romp for transgender anthem Lola, followed by Rod Stewarts ode to a slightly morally corrupt woman sleeping with a schoolboy.

Back on more solid ground with this round, so please select your TWO favourite tracks from the poll. Maybe leave a reason why you voted for what you did, or even better, insult the selection of some of the rubbish tracks here.

The next round will be a bit of a narrower field, and I want your album openers. I.e. songs that are first on the album upon which they were originally released. I am taking a stand and refusing to accept compilation/best of albums because they will be all good songs.

Get them into me by Monday morning if you can and we'll get this hopping along.

Leaderboard is on the last round thread if you are so inclined to view it.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:Gone for Macho Man and Stevie Hyper D.

Cash, Lennon, Marley etc are just too predictable to get excited about anymore. Especially 'Hurt'. Could have bet my house on it being on the list here, if I had one. It's been done to death and it still keeps popping up and getting votes.

Good lord, Gia.  Has super_insecure hacked your account.

Reading that back; yeah, it was pretty downbeat. I stand by it though. How about a round of 'Bands/Songs You Like But Nobody Else Knows'? Get people youtubing and discovering new stuff? Mix it up a bit.

Not a slight on sodhat's running of the game by the way, doing a sterling job, Sir. Just the nature of it (the game) I guess.

IG. YouTube a song called Stoned and Starving by a band called 'Parquet Courts'. They're the next big thing.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 7 - Dead Artists

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:57 am

They both have the intro but its a little bit more forceful on Child. I prefer (and meant) slight return, just I always call it voodoo chile cos that's what it was called on the album I first heard it on and it just stuck

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 am

sodhat wrote:
chris.wilkerson13 wrote:I may be wrong but Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child slight return are just insignificantly different recordings of the same song, I believe Chile the original

Voodoo Child is the one with the wah-wah guitar intro. The one Hogan used as his entrance in the WCW days. Chile is more bluesy, and long.

You were doing so well up to that point.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 am

sodhat wrote:
chris.wilkerson13 wrote:I may be wrong but Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child slight return are just insignificantly different recordings of the same song, I believe Chile the original

Voodoo Child is the one with the wah-wah guitar intro. The one Hogan used as his entrance in the WCW days. Chile is more bluesy, and long.

You were doing so well up to that point.

The fact you understand the reference is still a win for me.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

I think the reference might have been suited to his audience as he knows I'll know what he means!

Its cos apparently 24 is that age for me where once something gets stuck in your head it will remain that name however much you mean it to be someone else. Its similar to someone ive played football with for months being called Steve, but I have been calling him Pete since I met him and only found out last week I was wrong

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

seanmichaels wrote:
IG. YouTube a song called Stoned and Starving by a band called 'Parquet Courts'. They're the next big thing.

Not bad michaels. A little bit lo-fi for me but I could vote for them in a future round. Cheers for sharing.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Adam D wrote:I have voted for Elvis but American Trilogy is my favorite.

snap
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

sodhat

sent you my round 7 picks , dont think they will get many votes but they are my 2 of my alltime favourite albums
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 am

All along the watchtower, Hurt

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

Kudos to whoever went for the 1812 overture, if I'd remembered "classical" I might have gone for the Allegri Miserere! Or Lotti.

However i have gone for Redding and Voodoo Child. Glad someone has voted for mine as it is far less well known than many on that list
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Or Nessun Dorma by Pavarotti, which still gives me goosebumps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 pm

The 1812 is just a mishmash of the Russian & French anthems with a bit of cannon-fire & bell-ringing for effect.  Very listenable but a bit lazy on Tchaikovsky's part.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 pm

I just had to re-vote. I completely missed Grace by Jeff Buckley and that is a top tune. Kudos to the selector.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 pm

sodhat wrote:I just had to re-vote. I completely missed Grace by Jeff Buckley and that is a top tune. Kudos to the selector.

Why, thankyou
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 pm

A flipping wrestler has 4 votes. What an earth is going on here. I have never heard it and have no intention of listening to it but I already know it is not worth 4 votes.

This whole process is deeply flawed and with that in mind, I am out sodhat.

Until the next round when I will be back in. thumbsup

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 pm

The day that Macho Man Randy Savage gets more votes in a best song poll, ahead of Marley, Presley and Tchaikovsky is a sad day indeed, Tino.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 pm

sodhat wrote:The day that Macho Man Randy Savage gets more votes in a best song poll, ahead of Marley, Presley and Tchaikovsky is a sad day indeed, Tino.

It's got more votes than all my selections over 7 rounds combined.

(Excluding my own votes of course - thank f for me.)

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 pm

It's one vote behind Imagine Laugh

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:25 pm

And Sinatra
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:25 pm

I voted for Macho Man because I hate the majority of the songs on the list, and liked Macho Man far more than any of the people on the list. I've never even heard the song!

Marley, Lennon, Harrison, Sinatra, Buckley, all rubbish for me. Hendrix was my first vote, but I liked the novelty of Macho being in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I voted for Macho Man because I hate the majority of the songs on the list, and liked Macho Man far more than any of the people on the list. I've never even heard the song!

Marley, Lennon, Harrison, Sinatra, Buckley, all rubbish for me. Hendrix was my first vote, but I liked the novelty of Macho being in there.

Oh man, Azzy.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Marley = boring, all sounds the same, lazy music for me.
Lennon = boring, hate his voice, hate his face
Harrison = boring, hate him as a person
Sinatra = too 'old time' for me, I can appreciate why people like his music, I just don't
Buckley = can't stand the music

You know I loathe The Beatles and U2, are you surprised I don't like bong music as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Marley = boring, all sounds the same, lazy music for me.
Sinatra = too 'old time' for me, I can appreciate why people like his music, I just don't

Randy Savage = person who wears lycra and rolls around on floor with other men.  Not even a musician.

Where is Jeff, he has banned people for far less than this.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Azzy, is there anything you like?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 pm

You know I loathe The Beatles and U2, are you surprised I don't like bong music as well?

Each to their own, I guess. I have no problem with you not personally liking any of the artists listed, but categorising them all as rubbish was tough to get my head around.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Randy Savage = person who wears lycra and rolls around on floor with other men.  Not even a musician.

you'd love this Tina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exbsw5ssn4I

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Azzy, is there anything you like?
Bananarama. Genesis. Erasure. Lionel Richie. The list is endless [love].

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:

I'm glad it did end Laugh

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Good Genesis or Genesis when Phil Collins was allowed to do anything other than bang his drums?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

I can't open it seany but knowing you, it is probably a clip of some camp wrestler wearing funny coloured pants and molesting another semi-naked man in front of thousands of drooling morons.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm here Tina. Just let me know whoo needs to go

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Rowley wrote:

I'm here Tina. Just let me know whoo needs to go

Azzy, mate. Might as well get shot of michaels whilst you're at it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Tino, your dislike for wrestling is bordering on worrying. Have you had an experience with an oiled up man in lycra that you weren't comfortable with?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Have you never seen Big E? heart

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Enforcer wrote:Tino, your dislike for wrestling is bordering on worrying. Have you had an experience with an oiled up man in lycra that you weren't comfortable with?

He wasn't oiled up. That was half the problem.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm

At least Redding is leading poll, followed by a Great Song that I didn't vote for because I'm not sure it counted with Dylan, the writer, still alive
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

I can't open it seany but knowing you, it is probably a clip of some camp wrestler wearing funny coloured pants and molesting another semi-naked man in front of thousands of drooling morons.

Save it for when you get home petal.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Tina, do not let the naysayers grind you down on this one. Is rare around here but you are 100% correct on this one. Adults should not watch wrestling. It is like listening to heavy metal and excessive masturbation as things that should be grown out of as you leave your teenage years.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Rowley wrote:excessive masturbation as things that should be grown out of as you leave your teenage years.

Oops.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:Gone for Macho Man and Stevie Hyper D.

Cash, Lennon, Marley etc are just too predictable to get excited about anymore. Especially 'Hurt'. Could have bet my house on it being on the list here, if I had one. It's been done to death and it still keeps popping up and getting votes.

Good lord, Gia.  Has super_insecure hacked your account.

Reading that back; yeah, it was pretty downbeat. I stand by it though. How about a round of 'Bands/Songs You Like But Nobody Else Knows'? Get people youtubing and discovering new stuff? Mix it up a bit.

Not a slight on sodhat's running of the game by the way, doing a sterling job, Sir. Just the nature of it (the game) I guess.

I'd be so up for that. Though 2 of those bands just became a lot more popular (Bastille and Passenger, though the latter is no longer really a band as such)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Rowley wrote:Tina, do not let the naysayers grind you down on this one. Is rare around here but you are 100% correct on this one. Adults should not watch wrestling. It is like listening to heavy metal and excessive masturbation as things that should be grown out of as you leave your teenage years.

The best thing I can say for Wrestling is that it gave us the Rock as an actor, who never fails to impress me at how non-1Dimensional he actually is
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Rowley wrote:Tina, do not let the naysayers grind you down on this one. Is rare around here but you are 100% correct on this one. Adults should not watch wrestling. It is like listening to heavy metal and excessive masturbation as things that should be grown out of as you leave your teenage years.

and the use of lol's etc i presume?

got some kids helping me at the cricket club these days which involves communication via text messages. it is bloody painful. kk this, kk that. what the hell does that mean?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:

You like Lionel Ritchie and you lambasted people in the last round for liking Rod Stewart????
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

I'd be so up for that. Though 2 of those bands just became a lot more popular (Bastille and Passenger, though the latter is no longer really a band as such)

Jersey, my wife used to have her hair cut by the sister of one the members of Bastille. True story.

She used to rattle on about for ages before they landed on the radio. Good little band.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Rowley wrote:excessive masturbation as things that should be grown out of as you leave your teenage years.

Oops.

As meatloaf put it two out of three ain't bad

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Would like to think Sean the use of L*L would go without say.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

and the use of lol's etc i presume?

got some kids helping me at the cricket club these days which involves communication via text messages. it is bloody painful. kk this, kk that. what the hell does that mean?

It's a marginally easier way (on a phone as it only uses one key) of typing OK. Which is an abbreviation of the phonetic spelling of "All Correct" said in an American accent, according to my old German Teacher
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:14 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Jersey, my wife used to have her hair cut by the sister of one the members of Bastille.  True story.

She used to rattle on about for ages before they landed on the radio.  Good little band.

They are that, indeed, and their new, well known album Bad Blood is pretty strong throughout
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

You like Lionel Ritchie and you lambasted people in the last round for liking Rod Stewart????
Dude catch the sarcasm Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

Dude catch the sarcasm Wink
Ok got it Hug
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next