The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters

+4
noleisthebest
socal1976
Green
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
8 posters

Go down

ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters Empty ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:22 pm

Nadal bounces the ball too much. Discuss.

Last edited by Stealth Maestro Agro Love on Fri 27 May 2011, 11:21 am; edited 29 times in total

Back to top Go down

ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters Empty Re: ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:23 pm

And now........... we pray. Very Happy 0:00am Moday morning, we shall find out if I haven't completely ballsed this up.

One thing worth mentioning though is that regardless of whether the points are wrong, the provisional totals in blue here are for 100% certain correct. So our positions are also correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 08 May 2011, 9:36 pm

And here it is! Very Happy

Wow, that was quick - I just asked you about this on your other thread! Shocked

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:43 pm

Green wrote:And here it is! Very Happy

Wow, that was quick - I just asked you about this on your other thread! Shocked
Yeah, I just wrote this up as soon as I saw your question. ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 3497602689

OK, not really, but I've developed a super-duper spreadsheet that calculates all the gains and losses over the last fortnight and throws out a total, that total is what you're seeing up there in the blue column (and before anyone goes for the smart answer, no it's not the column saying 'New Ranking' Wink ).

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 08 May 2011, 10:02 pm

"and before anyone goes for the smart answer, no it's not the column saying 'New Ranking' "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There aren't any blue columns. Erm

There's blue colour font in some of the columns though Whistle

You type fast!! And with one hand. Shocked

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 10:13 pm

Green wrote:"and before anyone goes for the smart answer, no it's not the column saying 'New Ranking' "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There aren't any blue columns. ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 57983

There's blue colour font in some of the columns though ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 590675

You type fast!! And with one hand. Shocked
GODDAMN COLUMNS WITH GODDAMN BLUE WRITING!!!!! GRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy OK, maybe I'm not thaaaat angry. I'd hate to be his brother though. Shocked

Maybe i'll be that angry if the Madrid points don't go the right way for me at midnight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 08 May 2011, 10:20 pm

That's sick! Shocked What the hell is a "W.O.W. account"?!

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 10:28 pm

Green wrote:That's sick! Shocked What the hell is a "W.O.W. account"?!
I believe it is a video game. 'World of Warcraft'.

So don't make me angry, Green...... though I promise no tele remotes will be involved; that WAS sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 08 May 2011, 10:34 pm

laughing

"So don't make me angry, Green"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never again! Erm

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon 09 May 2011, 7:55 am

Green wrote:ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 3497602689

"So don't make me angry, Green"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never again! ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 57983
Hmmmm.... you appear to have edited your comment there..... stirrer! Very Happy

Oh well, on another note, I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE POINTS! HOORAY!

I always knew of course. OK, maybe I wasn't sure. Wink But the important thing is that both tables for Madrid and Rome are A-OK. Wink

As always though I've probably made some errors, typed a wrong number in here or there, so if you do spot anything that I've missed then give me a shout.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 8:52 am

Another great analysis of the vagaries of the ATP points system, stealth I think you are wasting your time here and should be working on creating a usuable nuclear fusion power generating system to save the world. Wow, just a few weeks ago who would of thought that Novak could hypothetically catch Nadal before RG!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Mon 09 May 2011, 10:35 am

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
Hmmmm.... you appear to have edited your comment there..... stirrer! Very Happy
Didn't want others to know I told you to do that. Whistle

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 10 May 2011, 11:43 am

Here's a copy and paste of somebody else's comment from another board , I think it makes some things much clearer (at least to me Shocked )

"here is a more detailed version of the rankings to clear up everything.

last year rome was played before madrid. so rafa and novak (and all other players' points) now include last year's madrid's points as well as this year's. next monday, last year's madrid points get subtracted from their points.

last year rafa won, so he has 1000 points which will go off next monday, that will leave him at 11,470 (this 11,470 already includes the 600 points rafa got last sunday).

as for djokovic, he did not play madrid last year, so he loses 0 points next monday. so he stays at 10,665.

and rafa points will stay at 11,470 in the best case scenario for him (winning rome and fo)

for djokovic, he needs 805 extra points from rome and fo. (he has 360 points from last year)so if djokovic can get more than 1165 points at french open and rome, he will get no.1 after french even if rafa wins both rome and french open.

if djokovic makes final at rome, his making semis in paris will get him the no.1 ranking. if djokovic makes semi-final in rome, he will have to make finals in paris to get no.1

ofcourse, if nadal fails to win either rome/fo, djokovic will get no.1 much more easily. all in all, the odds are looking good for djokovic to get no.1 before wimbledon. rafa's situation is much worse than what fed's was, this time last year. fed gave the no.1 ranking in a platter to rafa losing in the quarters in fo, i am thinking rafa might not give in that easily, but make no mistake, the pressure is much higher than the pressure rafa felt in miami or madrid. no wonder rafa has memorably declared " the no.1 is not in danger, it is finished -let's not lie to ourselves" he's trying his best to get the pressure off his shoulders in true rafa style. remember how he declared fed favorite going into 2008 FO... LOL!"

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Tue 10 May 2011, 2:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Here's a copy and paste of somebody else's comment from another board , I think it makes some things much clearer (at least to me Shocked )

"here is a more detailed version of the rankings to clear up everything.

last year rome was played before madrid. so rafa and novak (and all other players' points) now include last year's madrid's points as well as this year's. next monday, last year's madrid points get subtracted from their points.

last year rafa won, so he has 1000 points which will go off next monday, that will leave him at 11,470 (this 11,470 already includes the 600 points rafa got last sunday).

as for djokovic, he did not play madrid last year, so he loses 0 points next monday. so he stays at 10,665.

and rafa points will stay at 11,470 in the best case scenario for him (winning rome and fo)

for djokovic, he needs 805 extra points from rome and fo. (he has 360 points from last year)so if djokovic can get more than 1165 points at french open and rome, he will get no.1 after french even if rafa wins both rome and french open.

if djokovic makes final at rome, his making semis in paris will get him the no.1 ranking. if djokovic makes semi-final in rome, he will have to make finals in paris to get no.1

ofcourse, if nadal fails to win either rome/fo, djokovic will get no.1 much more easily. all in all, the odds are looking good for djokovic to get no.1 before wimbledon. rafa's situation is much worse than what fed's was, this time last year. fed gave the no.1 ranking in a platter to rafa losing in the quarters in fo, i am thinking rafa might not give in that easily, but make no mistake, the pressure is much higher than the pressure rafa felt in miami or madrid. no wonder rafa has memorably declared " the no.1 is not in danger, it is finished -let's not lie to ourselves" he's trying his best to get the pressure off his shoulders in true rafa style. remember how he declared fed favorite going into 2008 FO... LOL!"

That post is wrong. Sad

The total for Number 1 regardless of Nadal's victory isn't quite right there. If Nadal wins both his total simply won't change, so it's still 12470 points, 11470 is certainly not his maximum. This guy is assuming that Rome points are still on the tallies and that Rome and Madrid 2010 will drop on Monday; Rome points aren't, they dropped a fortnight ago.
REMEMBER ROME IS NOT ON THE PLAYERS POINTS TALLY AT THE MOMENT, SO THEY WILL REPLACE MADRID 2010!!!

Djokovic drops 360 points at Roland Garros, nothing drops for Madrid 2010. He automatically gains 10 points for Rome and Roland Garros as he will be in the first round draw, so that brings his total to 10665 - 360 + 20 = 10325

12470 - 10325 = 2145, so Djokovic needs 2146 points over the course of the two tournaments to guarantee #1.

Basically that's Djokovic's maximum requirement over the course of two tournaments. I'm only covering what the rankings will be like next week, hence why i'm not really referring to Roland Garros too much in this article.

If you want some Roland Garros info, i've got my spreadsheets up and running, so i'm happy to provide.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 10 May 2011, 9:06 pm

Is the bit about Nadal winning Rome and RG and Nole overtaking him on number one valid though (if Nole reaches the difference in points that exists now)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Tue 10 May 2011, 10:31 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Is the bit about Nadal winning Rome and RG and Nole overtaking him on number one valid though (if Nole reaches the difference in points that exists now)
I'm afraid it isn't... The difference in points if Nadal wins Roland Garros and Rome will be 2145 points. You cannot accumulate that over the course of Rome and Roland Garros without winning one of them. The maximum for making 2 finals is 1200 + 600 = 1800 points. Nole would need 2146 if Nadal wins both - not achieveable. Wink

Unless the post refers to overtaking in a tournament after Roland Garros. But then Fernando Verdasco, or Alex Bogomolov Jr could do that too. Very Happy

Your poster has made the mistake of assuming Rome's points are dropping this week, and that would therefore make Nole's task seem far simpler than it is.

What he is right in saying is that Nole is a virtual certainty to overtake Nadal after Roland Garros if Nadal does not defend either trophy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 11 May 2011, 10:22 am

Hi Stealth,

I was wondering how Fer Verdasco's ranking is doing, considering he bombed again yesterday when he was a semi-finalist last year. Smile
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 11 May 2011, 7:30 pm

Wooffie wrote:Hi Stealth,

I was wondering how Fer Verdasco's ranking is doing, considering he bombed again yesterday when he was a semi-finalist last year. Smile
If you read the above you'll be relieved to hear that Verdasco has already dropped his points for Rome, so since he's not dropping Rome, but Madrid 2010 points instead, he won't be dropping much this week. As it stands, the rankings surrounding Verdasco look as follows (at 19:20, 11/5/2011)

The court surfaces have been made the same. Discuss.

So with Tsonga, currently a set down to Federer, his only real threat, I wouldn't be too worried about Verdasco's position. ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 732107

Last edited by Stealth Maestro Agro Love on Fri 27 May 2011, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 11 May 2011, 7:57 pm

Thanks Stealth for explaining that for me. thumbsup Great work as always.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 11 May 2011, 8:03 pm

Wooffie wrote:Thanks Stealth for explaining that for me. ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters 732107 Great work as always.
No problem! Smile

One thing I have noticed though is that Verdasco is playing Nice this year, and he drops 150 from last year there. It won't affect his Roland Garros seeding, but he may slip down an extra place or two if he doesn't defend that next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 11 May 2011, 8:59 pm

Blimey ... I didn't think he'd show his [lovely] face there again after last year. Shocked
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

ATP PointsThingy - Rome Masters Empty Roland Garros update

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 12 May 2011, 10:26 pm

Florian Mayer hit a new career high last week, and the week before that, and he'll do it again this week! He's a round away from a top 20 debut, thoroughly deserved after an absolute belter of a clay court season this year. He's got little to defend at Roland Garros and will likely storm into the Top 20 if he keeps this up.

Soderling and Berdych through to the quarters. They must be breathing a sigh of relief that David Ferrer isn't gaining anything here, because he has very little to lose at the French Open, whilst Berdych and Soderling are losing a lot of points. Soderling has actually made himself safe from an immediate fall in ranking despite losing 1,200 points; a very impressive achievement that goes to show the gulf between the Top 5 and the rest.

Tsonga could potentially find himself outside the Top 30 if he falls early at Roland Garros! Only 180 points to defend, but it's just so tight from 20-25th that anyone who loses early immediately drops 5 places, and the players below that have virtually nothing to defend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 13 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Murray makes the semi's, and gets his total over 6000 points again in the process. Should he make the final, Federer would be theoretically catchable at Roland Garros, though it would take some strange results (Federer loses before Round 3, Murray wins sort of result) for it to happen. Gives him a chance to close the gap between them so he gets a real chance at overhauling him later in the year, when Federer has most of his points to defend. (And so does Murray to be honest, but just not as many Wink)

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 13 May 2011, 4:52 pm

Nadal still No.1 after Rome and RG

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 13 May 2011, 6:33 pm

Nadal has successfully held off Djokovic for this tournament in making the semi finals. Wink

Richard Gasquet is the man Nadal will face, and he's gone above Wawrinka and Troicki after making the semis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 13 May 2011, 7:25 pm

Hi Simple_Analyst........welcome to the forum : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 13 May 2011, 11:31 pm

Federer will be again the sole single handed BH player in the top 10 next week.

It's almost a miracle nowadays to have a SHBH player in the top 10. However I hope Gasquet joins him soon cause his BH is also close to be a miracle.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 14 May 2011, 12:16 am

Djokovic hits the 11,000 mark with his semi-final appearance in Rome. He's banging that door pretty hard now....

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 14 May 2011, 11:52 pm

Nadal and Djokovic are going to hate the start of next season, that's for sure. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sat 14 May 2011, 11:55 pm

Rafa is used to the pressure come clay and grass season, question is ... is Djokovic?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 15 May 2011, 12:02 am

Wooffie wrote:Rafa is used to the pressure come clay and grass season, question is ... is Djokovic?
Yeah, but this will be different next year, they've literally got to defend finals and wins straight from February to June! No-one has ever done that before, let alone 2 people manage such a record! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 15 May 2011, 8:42 pm

And there it is, Djokovic the champ again.

As far as the battle for number one is concerned, two scenarios in particular are of interest:

1. If Nadal does not win Roland Garros, Djokovic is world number 1.
2. If Djokovic makes the final at Roland Garros, he is world number 1 guaranteed, regardless of Nadal's progress.

Thus the schedule change confusion ends; back to normal points dropping and gaining :hooray:. To celebrate, the Roland Garros PointsThingy will have the entire Top 20 as opposed to the Top 16 players being tracked a discussion based on whether or not the new balls favour Sergei Stakhovsky. The World Team Championship and Nice ATP250's are next week, and whilst there's some scope for movement, I won't be doing a PointsThingy next week, so i'll summarise:

- David Ferrer can reclaim 6th from Tomas Berdych if he wins in Nice. Berdych can deny him by making roughly the semis.
- Fernando Verdasco will drop out of the Top 20 if he loses in the first round at Nice. He has to make the final to retain 17th place.
- Richard Gasquet will drop back below Stanislas Wawrinka if he doesn't defend his title in Nice. He will slip back below Troicki if he doesn't make the semis or if Troicki gets Serbia to the final in the World Team Champs.

That's roughly it for next week's interesting ranking news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 06 Jun 2011, 8:15 am

Slam wise, it is very important that Federer gets back to number 2. His chances of winning slams, especially the USO would double if he were to have Nadal and Djoko tough it out in semis.

Winning Wimbledon could put him back to number 2...but then lots to defend in Cincy and montreal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

Tenez being 1 or 2 makes it a lot easier to get through the draw then being 3. Since as you have pointed out in most slams he will have to play (not assuming any upsets) Nadal and Djoko in the semi and the final to win. That may be a bridge too far for Roger.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down