The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

+24
Roller_Coaster
Mind the windows Tino.
Shot 21 LCFC
The Special Juan
VDT
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
superflyweight
beninho
The Boss
bhb001
kingjohn7
Hero
Crimey
JuliusHMarx
Breadvan
ChequeredJersey
seanmichaels
Kenny
The Womble
Il Gialloblu
Rowley
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
sodhat
28 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Select your two favourites...

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 102

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Empty Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Three rounds to go and it's a bit of a breakaway at the top with Hero and Adam fighting it out. The rest of us are playing for pride. Galted has missed that boat and he's playing more to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Union.

This round features songs that opened their respective bands albums, and it's your duty to pick your favourite TWO from the hodge-podge of classics and not-so-classics.

The next round, round 9, for the numerically challenged, will be songs featured on a film soundtrack. However, that's a pretty wide category, so I'm narrowing it down to films from the 80s because we will be guaranteed to get some hideous selections out of that. The songs have to be verifiably on the soundtrack too - not just a song that featured for a little bit in a rubbish scene with Molly Ringwald.

I also offer an apology to Mysti who's choices were both taken and he's now gone on holiday so he can't select another one.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Verily forsooth etc etc etc

When didst I becometh a hep cat?

I get da jive

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

sodhat wrote:I've always thought people hate songs like Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit because they became popular among "non-fans" and it felt a bit galling that "real fans" follow this band so closely before they are huge and suddenly everyone is a fan. Sort of like a resentment thing. Not really a criticism either, but I like both songs just fine as well as both bands wider work.

Nah, some people think most Oasis songs suck and never really got in Nirvana and still don't really like either
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:54 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
sodhat wrote:I've always thought people hate songs like Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit because they became popular among "non-fans" and it felt a bit galling that "real fans" follow this band so closely before they are huge and suddenly everyone is a fan. Sort of like a resentment thing. Not really a criticism either, but I like both songs just fine as well as both bands wider work.

Nah, some people think most Oasis songs suck and never really got in Nirvana and still don't really like either

I was more in to Pearl Jam and Soundgarden! Like the odd Nirvana Song! But Smells Like Teen Spirit gets played to death!!!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:26 pm

Nirvana to me seem to be "tinkle tinkle tinkle RAH RAH RAH tinkle tinkle RAH RAH" Repeat. Never really "got" them or why all trashy american rock rubbish sounds like that (proviso - my opinion not having a go at anyone that likes it, perfectly happy to accept I may be in the wrong too)

Oasis are better now no-one goes on about them. Hated them at the time (possibly because they filled the space left by the Roses self destruction, besides I was heavily into dance music at the time) but circled back round around for Don't Believe the Truth and love that album and the first 2. Lots of quality tracks and well sculpted albums. Like Wonderwall so nyah (sorry - no decent argument to put forward to why it's good)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

Oasis are music for people too thick to be into proper bands. Sing along choruses and meaningless lyrics.

And yes that post is meant to come across every bit as snobby, superior and condescending as it does.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Rowley wrote:Oasis are music for people too thick to be into proper bands. Sing along choruses and meaningless lyrics.

And yes that post is meant to come across every bit as snobby, superior and condescending as it does.

How is the mid-life crisis going, Jeff?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:17 pm

Rowley wrote:Oasis are music for people too thick to be into proper bands. Sing along choruses and meaningless lyrics.

Would Oasis not be interchangeable with The Stone Roses in your first two sentences? Their songs are hardly lyrical masterpieces. I will say I love both bands...but neither of them are exactly Bob Dylan with their song content.

I realise I am banned now. I'll get my coat.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

Oasis are the Stone Roses for thick people.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Bob Dylan only exists for better musicians to make better covers of his admittedly often poetic songs. Discuss Run
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Coldplay are for woofters.

Anymore?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

The Libertines were never that great and are one of the most pretentious bands of all time
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

Oasis are the Stone Roses for younger people.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:The Libertines were never that great and are one of the most pretentious bands of all time

We can excuse them though as they did write Time for Heroes which is a great, great song.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm

The Stone Roses got off lightly for only producing two albums.

Had Oasis imploded after What's The Story they would be proclaimed as one of the greatest bands ever.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm

The Stone Roses dump on Oasis from a great height, better musicians, better lyricist and in John Squire and Reni they have two of the greatest musicians of their generation.

PS. I will ban anyone for life who even tries to argue Oasis deserve to be anything other than a pee poor support act for the Roses.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:34 pm

Rowley wrote:The Stone Roses dump on Oasis from a great height, better musicians, better lyricist and in John Squire and Reni they have two of the greatest musicians of their generation.

PS. I will ban anyone for life who even tries to argue Oasis deserve to be anything other than a pee poor support act for the Roses.

What if Adam says it?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

The Stone Roses aren't fit to tie Oasis's shoes!

boxing
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

Do him Jeff

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

He'll be banned as well, however as he is a wrestling fan we can pretty much dismiss any opinion he holds as drivel.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

One mans Oasis could be anothers Bros , that is what is so endearing about music it creates emotion inside

“If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.”

Last edited by Kenny on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:38 pm

Rowley wrote:The Stone Roses dump on Oasis from a great height, better musicians, better lyricist and in John Squire and Reni they have two of the greatest musicians of their generation.

I won't with a straight face tell you that any of Oasis are better musicians than any of The Stone Roses. I do prefer Liam to Ian Brown though.

I will contest that song for song on their respective first albums, Oasis were better.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

You can contest it all you want sodhat, you can contest police academy - mission to moscow is better than Goodfellas, does not make it so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:43 pm

And you can contest that The Roses are better than Oasis but that doesn't make it so...
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

sodhat wrote:

I won't with a straight face tell you that any of Oasis are better musicians than any of The Stone Roses. I do prefer Liam to Ian Brown though.

I will contest that song for song on their respective first albums, Oasis were better.

And their respective second albums too. Then the Roses quit. Oasis win.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

Anyway, how the bloody hell have Slipknot got three votes?!
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:45 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
sodhat wrote:

And their respective second albums too. Then the Roses quit. Oasis win.

I actually meant to say their first two!

Definitely Maybe & What's The Story KO1 The Stone Roses & Second Coming

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:45 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:Anyway, how the bloody hell have Slipknot got three votes?!

Laugh
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:49 pm

The Roses never wrote anything as dull or completely lacking in any redeeming features as either Hey Now, Roll With it or She's Electric. Any album containing one of those deserves never to be considered great, an album that contains all three should be one folk refuse to admit owning.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

Bob Dylan is a poor man's Jimmy Nail.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Bob Dylan is a poor man's Jimmy Nail.

Jimmy Nail is a poor mans Tony Adams

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Oasis and The Stone Roses are The Beatles for young and thick people.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Tony Adams is a poor mans Terry Butcher

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

Terry Butcher looks like Pat Butcher
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

They look nothing like each other.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

Bloody hell Tina, a football reference you understood. Well done.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I meant in the footballing sense Smile Not sure Jimmy Nail looks like Bob Dylan either, come to think of it!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm

Crocodile Shoes > Like a Rolling Stone

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

I meant in the footballing sense :)Not sure Jimmy Nail looks like Bob Dylan either, come to think of it!

No but they don't half look like each other. Nail and Adams that is, not Dylan and Butcher.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

Rowley wrote:Bloody hell Tina, a football reference you understood. Well done.

Adams, Butcher, Shilton, Ince. There are loads of football players I know.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:14 pm

Adams, Butcher, Shilton, Ince.  There are loads of football players I know.

Asprilla as well, presumably?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:15 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Adams, Butcher, Shilton, Ince.  There are loads of football players I know.

Asprilla as well, presumably?

Yep. He was mad as a box of frogs, that one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

I went with 'Bright Side' by Van the Man and 'Adored' by the Roses. Love Van Morrison to death and saw him in 2007; although he was a miserable git, his actual performance was a real virtuoso one. As for the Stone Roses and that first album, there's not really much I can say that hasn't been said about it a million times already.

Rowley has a point when he states that the Roses in full flight could hit levels that Oasis couldn't see with a telescope, but then again, can you really trust a man who says that he can merely 'take or leave' The Beatles!?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

Wings - The band the Beatles could have been.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

You've used that line about 4 times in the last month.

It was vaguely amusing the first time.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:37 pm

I once shouted obscenities at Asprilla whilst in Amsterdam.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Was even more amusing when Alan Partridge said it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Th?id=H.4826831321498544&pid=1
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 3 Th?id=H.4826831321498544&pid=1

That's a very moving post

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

I think if 'Roll With It', 'Hey Now!' and 'She's Electric' are enough to disqualify 'Morning Glory' from having good / freat album status, then 'Mull of Kintyre' comfortably renders the whole Wings discography redundant, Jeff!

If Wings were four times the band you think they are, they'd still only be a quarter of the band that The Beatles actually were!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

George Harrison made the Beatles
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum