The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Select your two favourites...

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 102

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Empty Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Three rounds to go and it's a bit of a breakaway at the top with Hero and Adam fighting it out. The rest of us are playing for pride. Galted has missed that boat and he's playing more to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Union.

This round features songs that opened their respective bands albums, and it's your duty to pick your favourite TWO from the hodge-podge of classics and not-so-classics.

The next round, round 9, for the numerically challenged, will be songs featured on a film soundtrack. However, that's a pretty wide category, so I'm narrowing it down to films from the 80s because we will be guaranteed to get some hideous selections out of that. The songs have to be verifiably on the soundtrack too - not just a song that featured for a little bit in a rubbish scene with Molly Ringwald.

I also offer an apology to Mysti who's choices were both taken and he's now gone on holiday so he can't select another one.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

I thought it was Volkswagen?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by The Special Juan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 4 Th?id=H.4826831321498544&pid=1

That's a very moving post

Laugh

A triumph, JHM.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:56 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think if 'Roll With It', 'Hey Now!' and 'She's Electric' are enough to disqualify 'Morning Glory' from having good / freat album status, then 'Mull of Kintyre' comfortably renders the whole Wings discography redundant, Jeff!

If Wings were four times the band you think they are, they'd still only be a quarter of the band that The Beatles actually were!

It's all about Live and Let Die for me Chris, arguably the second greatest Bond theme ever (Nobody does it better on the off chance anyone cares.) Would also argue Mull of Kintyre is no worse than Octopus' Garden, but if I was to say that it would appear I was genuinely arguing Wings were on a par with the Beatles, which is silly even for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

Rowley wrote:Crocodile Shoes > Like a Rolling Stone

Spender > Columbo

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

Wise words Sean.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:20 pm

Rowley wrote:Wise words Sean.

I could keep going with the Nail references. I just want to be loved by Adam (he is a geordie right?).

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

Who knows, he is a wrestling fan, why do you care what he thinks?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:33 pm

I just need affirmation from time to time.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:41 pm

No he's not a Geordie, he's from Newport and lives in Scotland.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

Hero wrote:No he's not a Geordie, he's from Newport and lives in Scotland.

Jesus.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

That's basically a Geordie then, when you add everything up
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:38 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Jesus.....

I don't think Jesus came from Newport.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

Shame that "I Saw Her Standing There" doesn't rate a mention. Track 1, Side 1 of Album 1 of the start of British-led pop/rock.
Would have thought that iconic value at least would have rated it a plug.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

3 votes? 3 f@&£Ing votes? Christ on a bike. 
I'll have to wait and see how 1 of the best songs ever from 1 of the best movies ever before giving up and agreeing with jeff on the merits of the Stone Roses.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:08 pm

The Boss wrote:3 votes? 3 f@&£Ing votes? Christ on a bike. 
I'll have to wait and see how 1 of the best songs ever from 1 of the best movies ever before giving up and agreeing with jeff on the merits of the Stone Roses.

That is one more than I currently have, Boss.

I assume it was you who voted for Outlaw Pete in the last round?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:12 pm

Of course, Tino. 1 of my favourites off the album that was generally poorly received. In hindsight considering the votes I've got I should have just went with obscure Springsteen classics every round instead of mixing it up.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

The Boss wrote:3 votes? 3 f@&£Ing votes? Christ on a bike. 

Who was your nomination Boss, if all else fails just put the Roses forward, you pretty much guarantee yourself one vote.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:20 pm

Went with Van Morrison. Have got into his music the last few months. Probably could have picked up another few by going with Brown Eyed Girl. 
Not gonna lie jeff I know next to sweet fa about the roses.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

The Boss wrote:Of course, Tino. 1 of my favourites off the album that was generally poorly received. In hindsight considering the votes I've got I should have just went with obscure Springsteen classics every round instead of mixing it up.

Always said you're in the top few posters on here.

Grossly underrated song. 8 odd minutes long but it zips along as it is so good. Saw him play it on the TV at a festival (could of been Glastonbury t'other year) and it was the best song he did in the entire set. A set full of the more familiar 'classics'. Had the crowd in the palm of his hand.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

I had to get rid of my tickets to see him this Summer as I've moved to your side of the Irish Sea. Gutted! Seen him in Dublin last year and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Absolutely unreal only for him missing a few classics, which I didn't really mind but my mates yapped about. 
Recently went to a Passenger concert with my mate. He played for an hour and did 12 songs max and I had to listen to my mate saying "he probably played the same amount of songs as Springsteen but Springsteen's are longer." Jesus wept!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:31 pm

The Boss wrote:I had to get rid of my tickets to see him this Summer as I've moved to your side of the Irish Sea. Gutted! Seen him in Dublin last year and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Absolutely unreal only for him missing a few classics, which I didn't really mind but my mates yapped about. 
Recently went to a Passenger concert with my mate. He played for an hour and did 12 songs max and I had to listen to my mate saying "he probably played the same amount of songs as Springsteen but Springsteen's are longer." Jesus wept!

I am very jealous that you saw Passenger
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

Was very good mate. Just a bit short. I hadn't listened to much of his stuff before I got offered the ticket but he is great. Just a pity ya couldn't take a pint into the gig!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc-KLnCGe10

Seems like such a grounded bloke too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

Good man Chequered that's my night sorted. He he came across really well in the stories he told and jokes he made. I do think its hard to beat a song being stripped down acoustically too!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

What??? No 'Enter Sandman' from Metallica? A serious omission that... drumroll
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:29 pm

I forgot to nominate The Floppy Boot Stomp from Shiny Beast by Captain Beefheart. If I had, I'm sure I would have got my customary 0 votes.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
The Boss wrote:I had to get rid of my tickets to see him this Summer as I've moved to your side of the Irish Sea. Gutted! Seen him in Dublin last year and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Absolutely unreal only for him missing a few classics, which I didn't really mind but my mates yapped about. 

I like the Passenger song until I realise how much he sounds like James Blunt and it then ruins it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

And what's wrong with James Blunt?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:47 am

The Boss wrote:And what's wrong with James Blunt?

He's terribly posh although he is the only one in his family who goes by the correct name. The rest of them pronounce it Blount.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:50 am

I actually don't mind him although that could be due to his music doing me some top class wingman work with girls throughout my teenage years

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

It's almost impossible now for me to hear James Blunt without hearing Rob Brydon singing along, which actually makes it a bit more bearable.

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

seanmichaels wrote:
The Boss wrote:And what's wrong with James Blunt?

He's terribly posh although he is the only one in his family who goes by the correct name. The rest of them pronounce it Blount.

It's actually spelt Blount as well. His real name is James Hillier Blount.
He always come across as a right Count.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:32 am

I've seen him interviewed a few times and he seems like a nice bloke, just a bit posh for many tastes I imagine.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

I agree sodhat il not hear a bad word against him!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

His music is crap though, Boss.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:46 am

Oh aye not denying that. But it's the type of crap teenage girls loved on the 00's so he's a great man in my eyes.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

The Boss wrote:Oh aye not denying that. But it's the type of crap teenage girls loved on the 00's so he's a great man in my eyes.

It's like musical rohypnol.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

Hero wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

I like the Passenger song until I realise how much he sounds like James Blunt and it then ruins it.

Strangely he has released more than one song. And sounds nothing like James Blunt at all, other than they both have acoustic guitar accompanying them
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

I'd have said alcohol myself but whatever you find works best for you Tino!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

I hate and feather on the Clyde being too particularly good songs for different reasons.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

Right...enough of this...

ANGEL OF DEATH by SLAYER from REIGN IN BLOOD.

Greatest opening track ever!

To make this argument definitive, I'm going to end my post with

FACT!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:25 am

Who are Slayer, Dave?

Are they a US soft rock band or do they smash it up like Bon Jovi?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

Don't be silly Tino.

No one smashes it up like Bon Jovi.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:34 am

sodhat wrote:Don't be silly Tino.

No one smashes it up like Bon Jovi.

Laugh

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

Is that a cover of u2's Angel of Harlem?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:44 am

Lyrics from the Angel of Death...

Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the aryan race

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

So. Just like Bono then?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:48 am

Crimey wrote:Lyrics from the Angel of Death...

Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the aryan race

Shocked

Good lord. It's hardly Living on a Prayer, is it. JBJ wouldn't write such naughty lyrics.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:50 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:It's hardly Living on a Prayer, is it.

It's halfway there.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:51 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:It's hardly Living on a Prayer, is it.

It's halfway there.

Take my hand?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum