The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

+23
Cyril
maestegmafia
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
SecretFly
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Scrumpy
offload
Pal Joey
Thomond
GunsGerms
Portnoy's Complaint
R!skysports
tigertattie
George Carlin
Bonesaw's ready
Jhamer25
LondonTiger
Breadvan
RuggerRadge2611
ScarletSpiderman
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? Empty A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

The thought occurred to me yesterday evening: if I had to choose, on pain of death, between a Lions series win and England (and Wales) retaining the Ashes, which would it be?

Which would you choose?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? Empty Re: A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:43 am

For any Aussies, which would you prefer: beating the Lions or winning back the Ashes?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? Empty Re: A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Well i assume Scotland Ireland and probably Wales couldnt care less about England v Aussie for the Ashes.

Personally as an Englishman...can we not win both Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

I folow rugby not cricket, so easy choice.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

What are the Ashes?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

Ashes without about.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:57 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:What are the Ashes?

It's a little statuette of David Bowie. The England and Australia captains roshambo for it every couple of years.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:02 pm

I like cricket but don't feel part of the England cricket team, even though it apparently represents Wales too. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. Therefore, Lions 100% for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:24 pm

Griff wrote:I like cricket but don't feel part of the England cricket team, even though it apparently represents Wales too.  I feel like I'm on the outside looking in.  Therefore, Lions 100% for me.

AH, that would be because your not South African.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

Irrelevant question as E&W will win the Ashes home and away by a country mile.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

Tiger, I'm uncomfortable with us being such strong favourites for the Ashes. The Aussies never know when they're beaten.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

What a stupid question to put on a rugby forum
That Ashes trophy is $hite anyway.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

Thanks for that, Mr Agreeable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

Good luck to Engerland in the Ashes, I hope they score loads of home runs and don't strike out too often.

Cricket is nonsense

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:34 pm

That'll be that cricket thingy I've heard so much about.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

Getting my nipples burnt off, my toe nails pulled out, being water boarded or being force fed cement would be things I would consider more enjoyable than watching test match cricket.

One day stuff isn't bad though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

I'd rather Tahiti won the confederations cup than watch England win the Ashes!

Why?

Coz cricket is just rounders for folk that cannot run in a circle!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm

tigertattie wrote:I'd rather Tahiti won the confederations cup than watch England win the Ashes!

Why?

Coz cricket is just rounders for folk that cannot run in a circle!

Neither can people who do rounders

They run in a diamond, except to the home base which is a separate base, at right-angles to third base and the batsman's base

An answer the question

Lions

International cricket is so overdone now, it is like a conference league 

and take about an outdated concept the ashes is just like every other set of tests

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

Well apart from the 2005 which Wales were prominent in a magnificent win, I'd go for the Ashes as it's usually an English thingy.

Mind you if there were six Tigers in the Lions side in (and fundamental to a) series-winning test, I might be half pressed to decide.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

I have enjoyed playing cricket in the past. My school was one of the few in Ireland with a cricket crease. I have even been to an Australian test match v South Africa in the SCG and will soon be joining the Leinster cricket club. Believe it or not even though I am half Australian I would be supporting England in the ashes if I was arsed watching it but I am really not so a Lions win would be preferable.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

greytiger wrote:Well apart from the 2005 which Wales were prominent in a magnificent win, I'd go for the Ashes as it's usually an English thingy.

Mind you if there were six Tigers in the Lions side in (and fundamental to a) series-winning test, I might be half pressed to decide.

Thats the spirit Tiger, just support the Leicester contingent.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm

I know there's an Irish lad on the team, and I do find it hard to get really into the Lions at times, but Lions. Not a fan of test cricket, 20/20 is decent enough.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

I love Test cricket. Not so fussed on the one-day game and Twenty20.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I love Test cricket. Not so fussed on the one-day game and Twenty20.

I found it a little boring I must say. Any sport where the crowd have to entertain themselves by making a beer snake must surely be doing something wrong?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

The IPL is good to watch, and it is something that you can kind of watch for a good 20 minutes within getting too invested in. Test Cricket to me is like Baseball it is long and drawn out and doesn't capture my attention in any great detail.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Tiger, I'm uncomfortable with us being such strong favourites for the Ashes. The Aussies never know when they're beaten.

Hi Lucky. Smile

It's a very tall order but I'd be happy with a few good sessions to start with. The 1st Test will be critical of course. idea
Australia maybe have a 40% chance of winning that (note: that's up from 30%!). If they manage a massive upset then it will be 'game on' as they say and anything can happen. Remember 1989?... but we'd need quite a few future stars to rise over the next few months. Can't see that happening though and it's more likely to be a 4-1 or 3-1 England win I'd say..

Now for the Lions Tour. We desperately need to make amends for last Saturday. Well obviously...
So I've tipped the Lions by 4 this time. Did I tell you my recent tipping form is completely hopeless? Whistle

Deep down I think the Wallabies can't possibly have such a poor start again and miss so many sitters. That was bloody hopeless.
There will be a lift in the intensity for sure. The Lions also have scope to play much better than they did last week. Get POC's replacement in (whoever that may be)... and Tommy... but don't tamper with the team too much.

It's just my gut feeling but I think if the Wallabies can level it up then the 3rd Test will be perfectly set up for a repeat of 2001 as our guys get a roll on and confidence builds up. We like doing things the hard way. Don't ask me why. Just watch that video again!!!

If the Lions win the series on Saturday -  well, they will have most definitely deserved to lift the Tom Richards Trophy (considering their horror run with injuries as well) and I'll be buying more drinks than usual when Stag, Hound & Co hit town. I'll be happy to see them all smiles if that's the case. I'll also make sure they don't decide to go for a late night swim in the harbour after 16 pints.  Wink

Sorry Lucky. I didn't answer your question properly. It's too hard to split. They both mean so much to an Aussie. An Ashes win would probably be more 'valuable' for Australia in terms of lifting the national psyche... however, I'm kind of greedy (in a nice way) and I am praying for a comeback of gargantuan proportions in the next two Lions matches.

If we lose both the Lions and the Ashes - then I'm more than happy with Adam Scott's Masters win this year.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

Any game that takes 5 days to play belongs to a different era.  I'll take 80 minutes of brutality every time.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

Some of those cricket matches are 5 days of brutality though!

Plus you get to sleep on it for 4 nights...

It's a great game too. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:43 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Some of those cricket matches are 5 days of brutality though!

Really? You sure your not confusing brutality and boredom?

20-20 seems like a decent enough game, I can handle watching that. There are not too many breaks etc. But full blown test cricket suffers the same problems as NFL, the game itself is not too long and fairly enjoyable, but the amount of time that nothing is really happening is mindnumbing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:45 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
greytiger wrote:Well apart from the 2005 which Wales were prominent in a magnificent win, I'd go for the Ashes as it's usually an English thingy.

Thats the spirit Tiger, just support the Leicester contingent.

I know. Sad that anyone who supports his home town and his own country could be so bizarre.

The Ashes will most likely carry it for me. The passion of the Ashes is always so intense whereas the Lions in the professional era has lost its edge.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:45 pm

SS when you're at an NFL game, the stops actually don't bother you too much, always highlights up on the big screen and other things. At home, it can be a problem if you're not a big fan of it I agree.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

Thomond wrote:SS when you're at an NFL game, the stops actually don't bother you too much, always highlights up on the big screen and other things. At home, it can be a problem if you're not a big fan of it I agree.

Also if your not fanatical enough to stay up late to watch matches life and tape them, there is also the option of fast-forwarding (I missed Janet Jackson's mishap that way too), cuts it right down.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:55 pm

Ashes over Lions tour of Aus everytime.

Lions tour in SA or Ashes now that is a tough call?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

Clearly the Lions for me, though both would be a bonus. 

There is just somethig about beating the Aussies which makes me all hot and bothered...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:08 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Some of those cricket matches are 5 days of brutality though!

Really?  You sure your not confusing brutality and boredom?

20-20 seems like a decent enough game, I can handle watching that.  There are not too many breaks etc.  But full blown test cricket suffers the same problems as NFL, the game itself is not too long and fairly enjoyable, but the amount of time that nothing is really happening is mindnumbing.

Yeah, for sure. Test matches are the pinnacle of a true sporting contest. Have you ever played or watched a game live?

20-20? You're joking aren't you? That's for people with small attention spans. So you must prefer 7s rugby to Test matches. Each to their own I suppose.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

Lions

Rugby > Cricket for me
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

I remember the 2005 Ashes like it was yesterday, high sporting drama at its best.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

I remember the 8 Ashes series wins in a row. It gets a bit too much after a while.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

I was picking up my puppy springer spaniel on the morning that it became clear that the Ashes of 2005 were going to be won.

We called him Ash.

A week or or so later we got two kittens. One we called Shane (Warne), t'other Freddie (Flintoff).

What a great series!

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:43 pm

LB - Funny enough a fellow Scarlets fan made a similar comment when I said I quite liked 20-20. I guess it is a bit like someone saying that union should ditch the scrums because they waste too much time.

I was roped into a few local games of cricket (really low level stuff), and I spend both times sat out on the boundary for half a day, then in a car park for the other half od a day waiting for my turn to bat (11th man, yep I that awful), both times I never actually got to hit the ball because the other batsman was bowled out.

But to the arguement, even though I am not a Lions fan, a Lions series win is far more important than the ashes IMO.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:48 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I remember the 8 Ashes series wins in a row. It gets a bit too much after a while.

One day Linebreaker I'm sure you'll get to refresh your ennui.
Just hang in there.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

greytiger wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:I remember the 8 Ashes series wins in a row. It gets a bit too much after a while.

One day Linebreaker I'm sure you'll get to refresh your ennui.
Just hang in there.

I must admit I'm feeling a little peckish for it again.

Scarlet, you need to get out to a Test match this summer (in Birmingham?)... just for a day.
The buzz at the ground will captivate you I'm sure. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

Lions victory or the Ashes? 

Hmmm, I know of the Ashes but nope, I don't have a blessed clue what goes on on a cricket field and I ain't British so.............................

A Lions team stuffed with Irish players winning a series? Smile  Huh?  Too selfish?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:LB - Funny enough a fellow Scarlets fan made a similar comment when I said I quite liked 20-20.  I guess it is a bit like someone saying that union should ditch the scrums because they waste too much time.

I was roped into a few local games of cricket (really low level stuff), and I spend both times sat out on the boundary for half a day, then in a car park for the other half od a day waiting for my turn to bat (11th man, yep I that awful), both times I never actually got to hit the ball because the other batsman was bowled out.

But to the arguement, even though I am not a Lions fan, a Lions series win is far more important than the ashes IMO.

Ouch, sounds like you picked the wrong team to turn out for. I've played a couple of games over the last 3 weeks after a workmate roped me in to fill in for a (very) social team. The 1st game I turned up and said "well I used to be a batsman, but haven't played in 7 years" so they stuck me in at #5. I did promptly get out 1st ball, but they still offered me a bowl later on, and got asked what postion I wanted to field (slips, woohoo). On Sunday I turned up again, got asked if I wanted a bowl ("only if you're desperate"), fielded in close (I have a nicely bruised shin from being too slow to either catch (would have been a miracle) or dodge a shot. I got sent in again at #5, and scored a few runs helping the team through to a win. Sadly I didn't manage to hit the ball into the next county (the stream running alongside the field forms the border between Middlesex and Hertfordshire) though I had fun trying
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

It's years since I played cricket, but the thing that might not be apparent to a spectator is how alert you have to be in the field. Regardless of where you're fielding, you have to be alert every time the bowler runs in in case the ball comes to you. The only time you have a break is when it's your turn to bowl!

One of the things I love about Test cricket is precisely what other posters seem to dislike about it: how long a match lasts. I love how the match can hang in the balance overnight, how strategy can be adapted for the following morning. No other sport offers that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:55 pm

Breaker, I think the whole Mickey Arthur / Darren Lehmann thing could prove to be a real boost for Australia. In a strange way, it could be just what they needed to pull together. I don't like it! Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

Did that really happen? Must be so long ago I just can't remember. My mind strains to remember, but can't.
You really sure?
Was that in the 1800s?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

No, much more recent than that, Doc. Smile

1989 -2005... or 16 long years.

You get a bit tired after 10-12 years and start to feel sorry for the opposition. Whistle

Last edited by Linebreaker on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:43 am

The rugby looks the more interesting series...! Feel rather disenfranchised with cricket.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:44 am

Why can't people enjoy more than one sport? It's like the rather churlish bashing of league on here.

There's room for all sorts of sport enjoyment.

The way that some of us union fans claim that it's the pinnacle of sportsmanship and way above everything else in terms of 'class' and 'skill' really does us no favours.

[/rantmodecancelled]

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next