The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Umpire Shortage for the Ashes

5 posters

Go down

Umpire Shortage for the Ashes Empty Umpire Shortage for the Ashes

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 2:08 pm

Just reading in the Times today, 8 of the 12 'elite' umpires in cricket today are either English or Australian. Therefore, for the ten Ashes test matches, only 4 umpires are left for the on-field and TV duties: Aleem Dar, Kumar Dharmasena, Tony Hill, and Marais Erasumus.

After Aleem Dar's poor umpiring display in the first Test, which may have been influenced by Ramadan, he is going to be replaced by Marais Erasumus for the second Test - the same chap who missed Agar's stumping and Trott's inside edge on the TV.

Because of this shortage, second-tier umpires may have to take charge for some of the Ashes, with recently relegated umpire Billy Bowden next in line.

It's rather frustrating, and there may be a further reliance on DRS, but what can you do?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Umpire Shortage for the Ashes Empty Re: Umpire Shortage for the Ashes

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm

1 English umpire and 1 Aussie umpire. Simple. If they are the best then use them! In the modern day with TV replays and DRS a biased umpire will last about one Test match, if that. I think we can trust them. If they are the best, give them the biggest games.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

I wouldn't mind that. Don't really believe umpires are biased - at least consciously - but I guess it is the perception of bias that dissuades the authorities from returning to the old system.

By the way I still rate Aleem Dar as an umpire...he just had a bad match. It happens.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm

This was a problem which was inevitable when the latest update to the Elite Panel was made. The reasons are understandable though - the best available replacements for Rauf and Bowden were English and Australian. The rest of the International (second tier) Panel doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.

Dar was always scheduled to miss the 2nd Test. He will be back later in the series. The appointments for this series are all Elite Panel members so barring some very strange happenings there will be no need to resort to the International Panel (which has quite regularly been used to fill gaps for Test Matches).

Whilst all three officials had difficult matches at Trent Bridge I wouldn't criticise them too much. Dar has been an outstanding umpire, though he seems a little out of form. Erasmus and Hill are usually pretty solid. Dharmasena is a very good young umpire though still a little bit error prone.

The problem has basically been that over the past couple of years there has been an unusually high number of people leaving the Elite Panel for various reasons - Harper, Doctrove, Rauf, Bowden, Taufel. That has meant all of the members of the International Panel that previously had been assigned to Tests have since been promoted (Dharmasena, Illingworth, Llong, Kettleborough, Oxenford, Reiffel). In fact the only non-Elite umpires with Test experience are now Enamul Haque (1 Test) and Russell Tiffin (44). I can't see either of them being assigned during the Ashes down under so I'd imagine we'll be seeing a lot of the 4 eligible Elite Panel members.

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:59 pm; edited 4 times in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm

alfie wrote:I wouldn't mind that.  Don't really believe umpires are biased - at least consciously - but I guess it is the perception of bias that dissuades the authorities from returning to the old system.

By the way I still rate Aleem Dar as an umpire...he just had a bad match.  It happens.

Spot on. If Paul Reiffel rather than Erasmus has been adjudicating the Agar stumping everybody would have screamed 'bias' rather than 'shocker'. Even if it was just human error, which happens.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:44 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23333065

The ICC admit giving Trott out LBW was a mistake. Fair play.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:46 pm

To be fair to Dar, he's usually one of the best umpires going. I wouldn't see a problem with any Aussie/English umpire doing it, but there would be a field day in the media if an Aussie ump gave an English batter out LBW and it wasnt out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:54 pm

Olly wrote:To be fair to Dar, he's usually one of the best umpires going. I wouldn't see a problem with any Aussie/English umpire doing it, but there would be a field day in the media if an Aussie ump gave an English batter out LBW and it wasnt out

Which over the course of 10 Tests would be bound to happen on a number of occasions. Nobody (or very few) would go out trying to be biased but there were good reasons for the move towards neutrals.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down