The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 8:07

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Davie Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 19:57

What did James say?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:03

Probably just said "Top O' The Morning" and Inco exploded and fired off a ream of emails, phone calls and letters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:10

Bluff Yorkshireman James was responding to commentator Andrew Cotter’s view that the province could retire as a sporting nation if Open contender Darren Clarke followed his compatriots Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy in winning a major.
James’s retort - ‘Perhaps they’ll even stop fighting each other’ - was met with silence. Within 15 minutes, presenter Hazel Irvine said in a voiceover: ‘We’d like to apologise for any offence caused by a remark in commentary at the end of Darren’s round.’

clap clap clap  Hazel
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:14

What's wrong with that Inco? They do fight each other, and we do see the childish behaviour every year from both sides. One day they'll have to grow up and stop fighting one another.
Hardly in the same Hurling park as calling Baldy Nine Chins an N... is it?
They only had to "apologise" because so many people go looking for it these days and they could hear your phone, bureau and keyboard getting hammered.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:21

Daft thing to say though. Mark James wouldn't like it much if someone had a go at his runner beans.
Pity no Irishman had the nuts to say what James said.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:21

What's wrong with calling 9 chins a Nagger? If he gets offended that's his problem right?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:26

Let's not go there . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:29

No, let's. I'd love to hear super's reasoning.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:30

If James said that then he is stupid. But only because it will never happen. To apologize for it on air is PC gone mad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 20:51

It's not pc gone mad though is it? It's a publicly funded body cconcerned about some of his customers being offended. And as proven some where. Any company would apologise in a similar circumstance. PC gone mad is such a strange phrase I didn't realise people still used it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 21:06

Trouble is: The "Troubles" are also "publicly funded".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 21:19

Let's not go there....
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 22:25

incontinentia wrote:What's wrong with calling 9 chins a Nagger? If he gets offended that's his problem right?
I've already stated previously and consistently that racism is unacceptable, to put 'Tatty Muncher' or 'Luck of the Irish'  and pretend that it persecutes you in the same envelope would be insane.
Bit like putting murder and evading a TV licence under the same life sentence. They aren't even remotely comparable.

The famine didn't affect you or anyone within about 20 generations of you. More than enough time has passed to make it a subject worthy for light ribbing.

As Vic Reeves might say:  "You wouldn't let it lie"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 0:06

Let's just try not to hurt each other's feelings.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 2:54

I really don't get why James can't say that maybe they could stop fighting? It is still happening and it is still tiresome. Given the BBC is meant to be balanced I would say that suggesting people don't terrorise each other is the only balanced response.

As for lawrence donegan, the man is an idiot. If his tweets are to be believed he seems to be of a sectarian mind set. As is clear from his attempt to inflame a perfectly reasonable comment from Peter alliss.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 7:57

Flight of the conchords --pure quality!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 8:03

McLaren wrote:I really don't get why James can't say that maybe they could stop fighting?  It is still happening and it is still tiresome. Given the BBC is meant to be balanced I would say that suggesting people don't terrorise each other is the only balanced response.

As for lawrence donegan, the man is an idiot.  If his tweets are to be believed he seems to be of a sectarian mind set.  As is clear from his attempt to inflame a perfectly reasonable comment from Peter alliss.
Not often we are in agreement Mac, but that sums it up perfectly.

thumbsup 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 8:33

Is this all about the luck of the irish comment after paddy hit a good shot?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 8:34

mystiroakey wrote:Is this all about the luck of the irish comment after paddy hit a good shot?

Yup,

Disgusted of Tipperary is taking it to the European Courts of Justice.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 8:39

"Disgusted of Tipperary is taking it to the European Courts of Justice"

Shocked 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 8:45

Johnnie Walker is on early this year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:03

How do you deal with cheats messing up CSS?

Some very suspicious scores coming in every week from the same people in Wednesday sweeps at my club. THen come the weekend in a drawn event and they are shooting in the hundreds.
Cheating C**ts

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:26

Didn't get cut SR- or did you go up .1!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:30

I didn't play Oakey, but believe me, these guys don't have a 74 in them.

I'm aware people cheat here and there, but the scores these guys regularly are putting in are unbelievable for their standard/ability.
10-12 handicappers ( should be 14-16, but because of all their amazing scores are 10-12), regularly putting in 74-75 but only in midweek competitions where they can choose their partners, but stink the place out at weekends with scores frequently over 100

If you are going to cheat, don't make it so blatant.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:31

super_realist wrote:How do you deal with cheats messing up CSS?

Some very suspicious scores coming in every week from the same people in Wednesday sweeps at my club. THen come the weekend in a drawn event and they are shooting in the hundreds.
Cheating C**ts
We've got a few of them at our place - I've played with a few of them.
It would seem that an extra 10 yards off the tee and a medal card in the hand can do strange things to some people...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:33

....and a magic pencil Monty.

I've actually seen them at it. Marking pars when they were making doubles. Easily some of the worst golfers at the club, but oddly coming in with scores a Cat 1 Golfer would accept.

THere is the element they are cheating themselves that I don't care about, it's more the effect they have on CSS that bothers me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:38

super_realist wrote:I didn't play Oakey, but believe me, these guys don't have a 74 in them.

I'm aware people cheat here and there, but the scores these guys regularly are putting in are unbelievable for their standard/ability.
10-12 handicappers  ( should be 14-16, but because of all their amazing scores are 10-12), regularly putting in 74-75 but only in midweek competitions where they can choose their partners, but stink the place out at weekends with scores frequently over 100

If you are going to cheat, don't make it so blatant.
I don't understand the mentality mate. And we all know who they are as well. Its never the ones that have played at junior level that may or may not have cheated at a young age and either way its out of there system..

All players can play bad whatever the handicap. But you can just tell if they are good or not by their range of shots or the way they carry themselves around a golf course.

I have played against lowish handicappers(12-6) at my ex club that started late(not saying everyone that starts late is like this)- And you can just tell they do not have a scooby about the game yet clearly have magic pencils in the comps..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:42

These guys are not long out of junior age, perhaps 19-20 and up until a few years ago were well into the 20's in their handicap. One was actually on a junior handicap of 46 for a while.

Now he's sub 10 after yesterday (8 I think) , but still a honking golfer with no technique, course management or anything to suggest he could shoot 84, let alone 74.

Hopefully the Handicap secretary will notice as it ruins competition for everyone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:43

"These guys are not long out of junior age, perhaps 19-20 and up until a few years ago were well into the 20's in their handicap"

well then Kids are clearly just growing up later these days dude!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:45

DOn't think they were ever in a rigid "junior setup" if you know what I mean, just a couple of rough kids who took up golf as a way to smoke cigs, etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:48

Happened once at my club with two guys.. so one of the committee went out in the 4ball behind the one they suspected, he kept a tally of their scores and then when they submitted their cards, called them in for a quiet word. Never saw them again after that.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:54

surely they only harm themselves if they end up with handicaps 15-20 shots lower than it should be?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 13:01

Not just themselves Mac, it lowers CSS for those who play honestly. So they don't get the cut they deserve because cheats are putting in scores better than they actually scored.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 13:04

Thats the problem SR. I hated it , especially at junior level. It just beyond a joke tbh. Kids coming in with 50 pts and stuff. either that have cheated or just grown up and something clicked (there is a point where you just go crazy at junior level and you go up a level within what seems like weeks and that original handicap means nothing.)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 21:39

We had something along these lines earlier this year. Father & son off '6' and '2', cleaning up in the midweek medals but not entering anything where they couldn't play together as a two-ball. The lad never recorded a double bogey in competition, but when our vice captain played 9 holes with him he had 4. Again, a word with the committee got shot of them but not before a rule had to be put in place to disallow two-balls and any cross marking.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 2:06

Super

Would two normal scores from cat 2 golfers really make any difference to css? You seem to suggest they are only entering scores of mid to late 70's from 10 handicaps or so.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 8:53

Mac, it isn't the Category they are in, it's the "Division" in which they fall.

CSS is calculated on the % of golfers who beat their handicap. THese guys, blatantly cheating, as well as giving themselves a false handicap, are also whether they know it or not, affecting the competition results for other people, especially in a midweek competition, which may only see 60 or so people taking part.

AS for the two in question, twice in the last month, they have handed in Net 65s and 68's,. In a small field, that will certainly keep CSS low as CSS is a function of the literal difficulty of the course/conditions on that day as manifested in the scores.

Either way, I've since heard they were spotted cheating, both marking pars when they were seen hacking it down the second, and hopefully this will nip it in the bud. Cheating c**ts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 10:39

fair enough super, I thought they maybe had the sense to submit realistic scores based on the conditions of the day.

Apart from the effect on css what else seems to be bothering you about their behavior.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 10:43

That's the thing Mac, they are obviously very stupid to put in such absurdly good scores. If you must cheat, don't make it so blatant.

Obviously everyone is capable of shooting those scores on rare occasions, but both getting to the turn in 1 under stinks a bit.

I don't really care about their artificial handicaps as everyone knows they aren't genuine, just that they spoil the competition for real players.

Just goes to show that golf isn't the bastion of virtue and fair play as people like to think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 11:13

Wish I was a real player Sad 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 15:44

An irishman is having an interview for a job as a blacksmith and is asked if he has any experience of shoeing horses.

He responds "No, but i have told a goat to f* ck of before"
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 15:49

McLaren wrote:An irishman is having an interview for a job as a blacksmith and is asked if he has any experience of shoeing horses.

Tumbleweed 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 15:56

super_realist wrote:..Just goes to show that golf isn't the bastion of virtue and fair play as people like to think.
There are always going to be cheats, but in my estimation, there are fewer in golf, and they are not likely to get any support, even in team competitions. I can't imagine any of my team mates confiding in the rest of the team that they had cheated to win their match without being told in no uncertain terms to own up. Compare and contrast with football and many other sports where cheating is seen as something akin to advanced gamesmanship.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 16:16

The gamesmanship comes to the fore in professional sport, and it happens in golf, we have all seen players trying to get a rules official to allow a free drop here, or to move from a certain area. Professional sports are mostly the same.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 16:28

beninho wrote:The gamesmanship comes to the fore in professional sport, and it happens in golf, we have all seen players trying to get a rules official to allow a free drop here, or to move from a certain area. Professional sports are mostly the same.
As I said, it's not that it doesn't happen in golf, just that it's much less prevalent. How many times in golf have you seen a player trying to con a rules official? How many times in one game of football do you see players try to con the ref?

Also, the rules in golf are sometimes open to interpretation, so I've no issue with a player trying to ensure the intrepretation is as favourable as possible - that's not gamemanship IMO - that's just standing up for yourself. The don't downright lie and simulate a foul.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 18:00

Correct Bob. the games are not comparable.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 18:09

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:An irishman is having an interview for a job as a blacksmith and is asked if he has any experience of shoeing horses.

Tumbleweed 
Very good Mac, Did you hear about the light aircraft that crashed into an Irish cemetery?

They have found 1256 bodies so far.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 19:26

How was the Grand Canyon formed?

A Scotsman lost a tenner down a rabbit hole
-----------------------------------------------------

A Scotsman won a toilet brush as the booby prize in a raffle. He had never won anything before, though, so he was delighted. A few weeks later a friend asked if he was getting much use from the toilet brush. "Well," came the reply, "I don't think much of it. I think I'll go back to using toilet paper."
------------------------------------------------------

Why are Scotsmen so good at golf? They realise that the fewer times they hit the ball the longer it will last.
----------------------------------------------------

"Why, McTavish," said the psychiatrist, "you seem to have lost your stutter." "Yes," said McTavish, "I've been telephoning America a lot recently."

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 19:34

Not bad at all Inco. Grand Canyon one is good.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013 - 19:41

The golf one would be funnier if it was true dude. Scotland suck at golf.Run 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next