The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10?

+17
maestegmafia
kiakahaaotearoa
dummy_half
beshocked
The Saint
tatterd
ScarletSpiderman
tigertattie
GloriousEmpire
LondonTiger
Jhamer25
wales606
bedfordwelsh
Sam
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Dontheman
21 posters

Go down

Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10? Empty Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10?

Post by Dontheman Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

It's a no brainer for me. He's the best place kicker in the world his stats are better than Carter for long and sharply angled kicks. He made two fantastic line breaks and offloads for North and Sextons tries in the 3rd Lions test. His rugby brain is definitely all there, he is small and fast and will tackle all day every day. After playing another fullback at 10, Stuart Hogg in the 64-0 romp against Combined Counties I would think Gats might say to himself "hmm .... Wait a minute!" when he's back in the Wales job. People have always been saying play 1/2p on the wing. I was always dubious about this why risk our prize goalkicker in a more forward role. Having seen the revelation in Aus and realised he is fairly indestructible I'd say go for it. Another Gatland surprise! Of corse we don't know much about his tactical kicking but I don't reckon it'll take him long to get up to speed.

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10? Empty Re: Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10?

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:33 pm

No.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10? Empty Re: Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10?

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:38 pm

Take one of the best full backs in the world and potentially turn him into a rubbish or average fly half. Why? There's a couple of decent number 10s in Wales and no one near his class at full back barring the young un (williams?).

I can under stand thinking about moving North to centre gradually as there's a few good wings coming through and Roberts is nearing the end but I don't see the logic for this.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

I'm going to have to say no.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Take one of the best full backs in the world and potentially turn him into a rubbish or average fly half. Why? There's a couple of decent number 10s in Wales and no one near his class at full back barring the young un (williams?).

I can under stand thinking about moving North to centre gradually as there's a few good wings coming through and Roberts is nearing the end but I don't see the logic for this.
Roberts is only 26/27 yrs old, if that is nearing your end then i fear for my life at the ripe old age of 36.Shocked 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

I did say gradually! Although for a lot of rugby players these days 26 is middle aged.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:10 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why mess him about in an untried position now he has proved himself one of the best XVs in the game.

We have Biggar, Priestland, Patchell, Tovey and even Morgan all young enough to still push on and become better more accomplished players.

Leave Leigh where he is let the others battle it out and spur each other on.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:19 pm

Dr Roberts will need to start doing his house jobs ere long. Is the 10 picture a settled one though? Much as i like Biggar is he getting there?Did anyone stand out in Japan dont think so. Or are we heading in a France/ Aus direction with a 9 playmaker?

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm

No

We'll keep Rhys Patchell at 10 and Halfpenny at 15 for the Blues thank you.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm

I think he'd be wasted at 10, he could do a job there sure by mindlessly shipping the ball on as first receiver (see the England game 2012 when Priestland was sin binned) but that's about as good as it will get.

And moments like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDcVwDhepd0 wont happen at test level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:30 am

No, end of. One of the best fullbacks in the world and you think we should put him 10. Stupid idea, end it there

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:18 am

Dontheman wrote:Is Leigh Halfpenny the next Wales 10?
No.

Though I would much prefer him to appear at Twickenham in the 10 shirt, rather than 15.

So on reflection, yes please.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:44 am

Jhamer25 wrote:No, end of. One of the best fullbacks in the world and you think we should put him 10. Stupid idea, end it there
I'm not sure he is a great full back. I do think he is out of position at the moment. Not sure he's a 10 though.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

I'd put Chris Peterson up as an example!

Best goal kicker in the world for a consistent period. Another winger/fullback small in statue, excellent defensive tackling
Distinctly average at 10 as too much time had passed playing him on the wing or at 15.

Like Paterson, had 1/2p started his pro career at 10, he may have made a name for himself.  But its too late no
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:52 pm

Dontheman wrote:Dr Roberts will need to start doing his house jobs ere long. Is the 10 picture a settled one though? Much as i like Biggar is he getting there?Did anyone stand out in Japan dont think so. Or are we heading in a France/ Aus direction with a 9 playmaker?
Owen Williams was meant to have looked pretty good for Leicester the weekend, Rhys Priestland is a GS winning fly half, Biggar is a 6Ns winning fly half.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:42 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why mess him about in an untried position now he has proved himself one of the best XVs in the game.

We have Biggar, Priestland, Patchell, Tovey and even Morgan all young enough to still push on and become better more accomplished players.

Dear God please not Priestland or Tovey. Biggar is who we've got and hopefully Patchell can continue improving - otherwise I think it looks bare at 10

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

Priestland and Patchell for me. Priest can be exceptional but needed to get dropped during that bad spell. Biggar was and still is average but can provide a decent plug hole for when either RP is out.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:01 pm

Wales do need a fly half who is consistent but I don't think Halfpenny is the answer. He is a world class goal kicker. This does not mean he has what it takes at 10.

Halfpenny at 10 would probably turn out the way of Hogg.

Unfortunately for Wales, the fly half shirt is well and truly still up for grabs with no reliable candidate.

Perhaps Tigers hold the key for Wales at 10.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:24 pm

tatterd wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dear God please not Priestland or Tovey. Biggar is who we've got and hopefully Patchell can continue improving - otherwise I think it looks bare at 10
Priestland has got more than his fair share of stick after the back end of the season where in fact a lot of the blame lay with Howley blindly playing him when he was out of form.

In the build up to and during the WC Priestland was in very good form and if you want to use Roberts to the best of his ability then Priestland is the 10 for that as he plays it a lot flatter than the others which makes sure that Roberts has to run onto the ball at pace.

If he regains form and fitness then he will be in the mix come the AIs and after all its competition for places that we need.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 29 Aug 2013, 4:16 pm

Am I allowed to say that only someone Welsh would even ask the question.

The 10 jersey has a certain legendary status in Wales, going back at least to the days of the sadly now departed Cliff Morgan, with its wearers expected to be match winners in their own right. Sadly for rugby romantics, professional rugby just isn't played that way any more, so while you may want your 10 to be able to run the ball you primarily need them to be a sound tactical kicker and distributor.

1/2p has a (more than) decent boot from defensive positions but hasn't shown much ability as a more creative tactical kicker, and his distribution and reading of the game is nowhere near the standard required to play 10 against international opposition.

Basically, as an England fan I want to see him in the 10 jersey at Twickenham so that Robshaw and Wood can destroy him.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 29 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm

I think it could work but I'd go further. Tipuric to halfback. Problem solved where to play Warburton.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 6:02 pm

Patchell is the next Wales 10 anyway.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:47 pm

dummy_half wrote:Am I allowed to say that only someone Welsh would even ask the question.

The 10 jersey has a certain legendary status in Wales, going back at least to the days of the sadly now departed Cliff Morgan, with its wearers expected to be match winners in their own right. Sadly for rugby romantics, professional rugby just isn't played that way any more, so while you may want your 10 to be able to run the ball you primarily need them to be a sound tactical kicker and distributor.

1/2p has a (more than) decent boot from defensive positions but hasn't shown much ability as a more creative tactical kicker, and his distribution and reading of the game is nowhere near the standard required to play 10 against international opposition.

Basically, as an England fan I want to see him in the 10 jersey at Twickenham so that Robshaw and Wood can destroy him.
I agree that Wales tends to hold the 10 jersey in a higher regard than other nations, I think its all nostalgia as a throwback to the amateur days of twinkle toed and silky runners. These days however I would want a more pragmatic 10 that can get the back line functioning and keep us in the right area of the field over one that has a nice side step.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:26 am

I can't believe some actually wrote a thread on this topic. The OP must be a prop forward...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:13 am

Wales might be short on class 10s but Halfpenny isn't the answer. Keep him at full-back. He's been up there with your best performers for some time.

His skills match full-back well and he can keep kicking from there. Why change it?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I can't believe some actually wrote a thread on this topic. The OP must be a prop forward...?
Well Mafia by name mafia by nature! Thanks guys some interesting points on the perennial question of the Wales 10 shirt. The biggest question is of course would 1/2p want it? He's already on course to step into Neil Jenkins (who also started at FB) boots points scoring. But step up and boss the game?
Funny nobody mentioned His try-making MOM in the 3rd Lions Test His well timed offload to Sexton was magic. Maybe he is that once-in-a-generation legend a Wilco DC or Macaw. I'll shut up now.

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

I think when it comes to playing for Wales, players will always say yes to whatever position they're chosen for. As for his game in the 3rd Lions test, all of his moments came from fullback, and he had impeccable positioning in that game.

I say just leave him at fullback where he is clearly improving and allow him to counter attack from deep.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 31 Aug 2013, 7:28 pm

Dontheman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I can't believe some actually wrote a thread on this topic. The OP must be a prop forward...?
Well Mafia by name mafia by nature! Thanks guys some interesting points on the perennial question of the Wales 10 shirt. The biggest question is of course would 1/2p want it? He's already on course to step into Neil Jenkins (who also started at FB) boots points scoring. But step up and boss the game?
Funny nobody mentioned His try-making MOM in the 3rd  Lions Test His well timed offload to Sexton was magic. Maybe he is that once-in-a-generation legend a Wilco DC or Macaw. I'll shut up now.
NO

He is a first class wing, and a pretty good FB but why put him into a playmaking role when you have some cracking players in Priestland, Biggar, Patchell etc
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 01 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

Jenkins may have started at XV but was never a serious option there, in fact he only played there for Wales and the Lions because coaches realised they needed him in the team.

Most who watched the Lions in 97 were amazed that the Boks hardly ever targeted him in the tests because if they had then the result may have been totally different
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 01 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

Halfpenny at 10?

Why would Gats suddenly switch tactics and pick a running outside-half with pace who can hoof the ball a mile?

That's a one-way ticket to the French league - if Halfpenny wants a big pay cheque then he should play at 10.

If he wants to continue to be first choice in test rugby, then he should play wherever Mr G picks him.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 01 Sep 2013, 6:56 pm

Cas,

I think Halfpenny could get a fairly hefty pay cheque playing where he is now, why risk moving to 10 and it not working out. He could harm himself financially in a big way.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm

Why move a perfectly good full back into the 10 shirt? He can still kick the goals from almost any where on the field, so why move him?

Leave him at 15. And bring some one like Biggar, Priestland, and who ever else their is coming through the ranks into the 10 shirt.

Dont try and fix something when it is not broken.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 2:00 am

Casartelli wrote:Halfpenny at 10?

Why would Gats suddenly switch tactics and pick a running outside-half with pace who can hoof the ball a mile?  

That's a one-way ticket to the French league - if Halfpenny wants a big pay cheque then he should play at 10.  

If he wants to continue to be first choice in test rugby, then he should play wherever Mr G picks him.
Perhaps I'm knackered, but that's a Hook reference, yeah?

Halfpenny still looks slightly clunky at 15, like Michael Johnson's arms when he ran, but just like Johnson he's perfected what he does and he's learnt how the be supremely effective. His positional play is world class, we know he never shirks a tackle, and he does surprisingly well in the air for a little man. Obviously not a 10. I still think he'd make a fantastic right winger if needed, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down