The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby?

+11
slane
Feckless Rogue
rodders
captain carrantuohil
yappysnap
ME-109
Biltong
The Great Aukster
asoreleftshoulder
LeinsterFan4life
GloriousEmpire
15 posters

Go down

What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby? Empty What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby?

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:32 pm

Well, like the sun setting over the moors of boggy Connemara, the Irish "golden generation" are starting to settle comfortably into their fire side reclining chairs and hoisting a dewy eyed whiskey to the many near misses that separate them from the annals of a triumphant history.

The greatest Irish sporting talent in generations, the likeable figure of Brian O'Driscoll is leading the cast of rugby ghosts departing from international duty, casting behind a long shaddow of regret at what might have been. Too often was his boyish grin framing a refrain on how the Irish boys were gutted and disappointed but taking the positives. His juxtaposed presence next to the straight faced Declan kidney delivering a confused eulogy on inexplicable failure of the undeniable talents of their team.

Worse than the sour taste of a wasted opportunity, is the trepidation with which Ireland must now face the future. For not only had Ireland failed to deliver on a promise, failed to find the pot of gold at the end of their rainbow, but neither have young saplings of talent been nurtured, there are too few strong green roots in the fertile soil of Irish rugby's contemporary fields to blossom into a new forest of optimism.

Under represented in the lions, and lowly ranked amongst the six nations, Ireland have rarely managed to find the synergy that so many promising players indicated might be within their grasp. A stunning and composed victory over Australia at the RWC is their zenith in the last decade. A sad return for such a talent laden organisation.

Where now? Can the management structure at the IRFU who failed to leverage this remarkable pool of individuals and provide the results returned season after season by Leinster (second best team in the world) really manage the sparse resources now available and retain any credibility for Irish rugby? 

What can be done by the IRB and collegiate nations to help? International rugby can't afford to lose Ireland to mediocrity.

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:24 pm; edited 4 times in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby? Empty Re: What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby?

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:13 pm

thread of the year so far!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby? Empty Re: What Can Be Done To Rescue Irish Rugby?

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:32 pm

What can be done about GE,he's pretty much ruining these boards with his spamming of the forum.

Maybe things will get better when the new season starts.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm

There's no point in Ireland investing in rugby until about 2060 when they would be good and ready to start building for their next Grand Slam.

ASLS - Lets be thankful that GE is in his golden period because when that wanes he may end up looking totally ridiculous.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm

Hmmm, I didn't know Irish rugby needed saving?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

Joe the messiah is in place we are already saved (at least until the next schism)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:48 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Well, like the sun setting over the moors of boggy Connemara, the Irish "golden generation" are starting to settle comfortably into their fire side reclining chairs and hoisting a dewy eyed whiskey to the many near misses that separate them from the annals of a triumphant history.

The greatest Irish sporting talent in generations, the likeable figure of Brian O'Driscoll is leading the cast of rugby ghosts departing from international duty, casting behind a long shaddow of regret at what might have been. Too often was his boyish grin framing a refrain on how the Irish boys were gutted and disappointed but taking the positives. His juxtaposed presence next to the straight faced Declan kidney delivering a confused eulogy on inexplicable failure of the undeniable talents of their team.

Worse than the sour taste of a wasted opportunity, is the trepidation with which Ireland must now face the future. For not only had Ireland failed to deliver on a promise, failed to find the pot of gold at the end of their rainbow, but neither have young saplings of talent been nurtured, their are too few strong green roots in the fertile soil of Irish rugby's contemporary fields to blossom into a new forest of optimism.

Under represented in the lions, and lowly ranked amongst the six nations, Ireland have rarely managed to find the synergy that so many promising players indicated might be within their grasp. A stunning and composed victory over Australia at the RWC is their zenith in the last decade. A sad return for such a talent laden organisation.

Where now? Can the management structure at the irfu who failed to leverage this remarkable pool of individuals and provide the results returned season after season by Leinster (second best team in the world) really manage the sparse resources now available and retain any credibility for Irish rugby? 

What can be done by the IRB and collegiate nations to help? International rugby can't afford to lose Ireland to mediocrity.
That is actually an incredible write up. Its good enough to be a Stephen Jones piece in a mainstream paper. I almost feel like I should be going through a pay wall to view this.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:52 pm

Only goes to show the truth of the old dictum - give an infinite number of monkeys a keyboard and an infinite amount of time and they'll eventually produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:25 pm

I don't know...maybe a few more saffer and kiwi projects might tide us over until the next future IRB hall of famer cum Lions captain emerges from the rugged glens of antrim or mean streets of Dalkey to lift us from the doldrums again.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

We're not due another 6 nations win until the 2070's anyway. Can't wait!
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Sat 31 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:We're not due another 6 nations win until the 2070's anyway. Can't wait!
In that case, it will be a good laugh if Joe takes us all the way this year. A final against France in Paris will be on the cards.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Well, like the sun setting over the moors of boggy Connemara, the Irish "golden generation" are starting to settle comfortably into their fire side reclining chairs and hoisting a dewy eyed whiskey to the many near misses that separate them from the annals of a triumphant history.

Worse than the sour taste of a wasted opportunity, is the trepidation with which Ireland must now face the future. For not only had Ireland failed to deliver on a promise, failed to find the pot of gold at the end of their rainbow, but neither have young saplings of talent been nurtured, there are too few strong green roots in the fertile soil of Irish rugby's contemporary fields to blossom into a new forest of optimism.

Where now? Can the management structure at the IRFU who failed to leverage this remarkable pool of individuals and provide the results returned season after season by Leinster (second best team in the world) really manage the sparse resources now available and retain any credibility for Irish rugby? 

Wow. Is Seamus Heaney really dead? Cause I think he might be among us now.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 02 Sep 2013, 12:13 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Well, like the sun setting over the moors of boggy Connemara ....  
Connemara is mostly mountains and water. The boggy bit of Ireland is in the midlands known as the Bog of Allen - Offaly and Laois (in Leinster) are probably the most boggy. Connemara is better known for being very rocky.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 02 Sep 2013, 7:39 am

Really? There were two months I spent living in a peat bog in Connemara...If there are MORE boggy parts of Ireland then Im terrified! I swear I'd disappear up to me waist in oil stinking mud every time I wandered off the paths out there.

FYI - here is the imagery I was attempting to evoke (just for clarity). I needed somewhere both boggy and also west, west for the sunset similie. So Connemara it stays:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/thelunatic/6069567050/

Or perhaps this one, it has a requisitely desolate feel to it:

http://blog.ricecracker.net/2010/02/24/connemara-peat-bog/

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:32 pm

GE, when Schmidt drops BOD (probably this coming season) for being well past it do you think he will be forever vilified in Ireland by media, fans, pundits and ex-players alike? I'm not sure he would survive in the top job long, especially if he doesn't let senior players like POC come in and coach the team for him.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:36 pm

ghostie and gareth really are doing this site proud.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:44 pm

The Saint wrote:GE, when Schmidt drops BOD (probably this coming season) for being well past it do you think he will be forever vilified in Ireland by media, fans, pundits and ex-players alike? I'm not sure he would survive in the top job long, especially if he doesn't let senior players like POC come in and coach the team for him.

Headscratch  You do know Schmidt asked BOD to stay with Ireland for another season? It's very much expected by all that BOD will retire at the end of the forthcoming 6Ns. I would doubt very much that any fan will vilify Schmidt for BOD's decision to retire.
That big spoon of yours must be well worn by now Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

It was the IRFU that asked him for another season, not Schmidt. And he wouldn't play him if he was off form anyway.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm

The Saint wrote:It was the IRFU that asked him for another season, not Schmidt. And he wouldn't play him if he was off form anyway.
You live in a wee world of your own, Saint. Schmidt stated publicly that he wanted BOD to remain another year. BOD stated publicly that Schmidt's appointment was a factor in him remaining another year.

Regardless of whether it was Schmidt or the IRFU, the fans understand the state of play. You obviously don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

Munchkin, the IRFU asked him while he was still at Leinster. No doubt Schmidt would have wanted that too, all the time not knowing he would be the next Ireland coach. They gave him time to decide and then Schmidt's appointment as Ireland head coach was a contributing factor in him agreeing to the one year extension with the IRFU.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/may/16/brian-odriscoll-signs-deal-ireland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22551167

He's not undroppable. He could be off form and not get selected for Ireland duty. Leinster need him more than ever this season so he's better off concentrating on them in his final year.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:20 pm

Grow up all of you.

You've all been wummed by ghost 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:42 pm

The Saint wrote:Munchkin, the IRFU asked him while he was still at Leinster. No doubt Schmidt would have wanted that too, all the time not knowing he would be the next Ireland coach. They gave him time to decide and then Schmidt's appointment as Ireland head coach was a contributing factor in him agreeing to the one year extension with the IRFU.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/may/16/brian-odriscoll-signs-deal-ireland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22551167

He's not undroppable. He could be off form and not get selected for Ireland duty. Leinster need him more than ever this season so he's better off concentrating on them in his final year.
I agree with all that you have stated here. So what? He, like all others, may be dropped if not on form, but then who do we replace him with? That's the head scratcher, and another very good reason why BOD should remain another year to hopefully help mentor those that may be Ireland's future.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:51 pm

You stated Schmidt asked him. Show some evidence. It was the IRFU which you disputed and I've shown you that they have. There is no direct replacement for a man like BOD, but whoever will step into the 13 jersey is currently Schmidt's head scratcher.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 10:12 pm

The Saint wrote:You stated Schmidt asked him. Show some evidence. It was the IRFU which you disputed and I've shown you that they have. There is no direct replacement for a man like BOD, but whoever will step into the 13 jersey is currently Schmidt's head scratcher.
You're twisting the argument away from your original comment that Ireland fans may get upset with Schmidt if BOD is dropped, Saint. Of course the IRFU asked BOD, they are his employers, but do you seriously not believe Schmidt had a hand in BOD remaining another year? Do you honestly believe that Schmidt, and BOD never broached the subject?

Here's a quote from Schmidt:

"I’d like him to certainly think positively about staying on for another season and maybe beyond because he’s certainly in pretty good shape.”

There's quite a few quotes, but I'm not mining them for you, Saint.

The fans are aware that BOD is nearing retirement, we are also aware that we need to unearth a replacement (probably hailing from Ulster) for BOD/Darcy, with a view to the RWC. Most fans were expecting BOD to retire at the conclusion of the Lions tour, and so it's hardly going to be a shock to the system to see him do so after this season, is it?

Anywho, it's a bit of a pointless debate, Saint. Have a hug Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 03 Sep 2013, 8:26 am

I can only see it going one way Saint. Hence me new thread about BODs career management. I think the guy needed a sabbatical. What was the point of all that pointless club rugby and the 6 nations when the guy should have been preserved for the big games?

It asks questions to me about the injuries to some Welsh players who weren't available for 6N duty but appeared injury free for the Lions after inexplicable selection from "injury". Did Gatland perform a medical marvel on these guys or were the injuries fakes?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:08 am

Munchkin wrote:
The Saint wrote:You stated Schmidt asked him. Show some evidence. It was the IRFU which you disputed and I've shown you that they have. There is no direct replacement for a man like BOD, but whoever will step into the 13 jersey is currently Schmidt's head scratcher.
You're twisting the argument away from your original comment that Ireland fans may get upset with Schmidt if BOD is dropped, Saint. Of course the IRFU asked BOD, they are his employers, but do you seriously not believe Schmidt had a hand in BOD remaining another year? Do you honestly believe that Schmidt, and BOD never broached the subject?

Here's a quote from Schmidt:

"I’d like him to certainly think positively about staying on for another season and maybe beyond because he’s certainly in pretty good shape.”

There's quite a few quotes, but I'm not mining them for you, Saint.

The fans are aware that BOD is nearing retirement, we are also aware that we need to unearth a replacement (probably hailing from Ulster) for BOD/Darcy, with a view to the RWC. Most fans were expecting BOD to retire at the conclusion of the Lions tour, and so it's hardly going to be a shock to the system to see him do so after this season, is it?

Anywho, it's a bit of a pointless debate, Saint. Have a hug Hug
I think it will be Marshall/Olding

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

Marshall/Olding is certainly a possibility, but there are others. Payne is the name that springs to mind for many when considering our options at 13, but then he doesn't become IQ for another year, and a year is a long time in international rugby.
Schmidt I'm sure will try out various combinations, and may have a look at Bowe, Earls, Olding, Trimble. For Ulster there's also Farrell coming through, and I hope he gets a bit of game time this year to show us what he can do. He is a serious unit. The under-rated Cave can't be discounted either, but then selection will be in part determined with a view to the RWC.

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 03 Sep 2013, 12:55 pm

Henshaw from Connacht might get a run at 13 this year if Pat Lam decides to try something different.As far as I know he was always a 13 growing up and he is very highly rated.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:21 pm

Might not be a bad idea asore. He was extremely shaky at 15 and kicked away too much possesion.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down