The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

+30
The Saint
Breadvan
goldwolf
jimmyinthewell68
Stella
The Boss
TRUSSMAN66
Mike Selig
SirJohnnyEnglish
Cyril
Nakatomi Plaza
kingraf
hampo17
JDizzle
kingjohn7
seanmichaels
rIck_dAgless
superflyweight
Mind the windows Tino.
sodhat
ONETWOFOREVER
Mad for Chelsea
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Hero
Rowley
STC
bhb001
Adam D
Phileas
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. Empty Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by Phileas Tue 03 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm

I am new to the forum but have read through a lot of the topics and I have to believe there are a lot of people on here telling porky pies. The amount of slating of top actors and actresses and classic films is unbelievable. Is it like the classic thing where if a film or actor becomes universally popular it is then uncool to like them?
So please feel free to use this post as your confessional.
If you still love the big movie star despite a couple of stinkers lets hear it? If you have that favourite classic movie but are afraid to admit to it scream it out? If you have sang the praises of some obscure foreign arthouse flick to keep up with the cool kids but actually think it is a bag of Poopie then now is the time to let it off your chest?

Phileas

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by Adam D Tue 03 Sep 2013, 6:35 pm

Nice thread and welcome to the board OK 

I love most of Spielbergs early stuff and think that ET is almost a perfect film. Still makes me cry.

I also like Tom Cruise in virtually all of his films.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by Phileas Tue 03 Sep 2013, 7:39 pm

Cheers for the welcome. totally agree on ET you have to have a heart of stone not to like that movie.

Phileas

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:02 am

Phileas wrote:Cheers for the welcome. totally agree on ET you have to have a heart of stone not to like that movie.
Are you listening Hero?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:14 am

Tom Cruise as a person makes me cringe, but I do have to say he is an excellent actor who has held his own with some of the greats, Dustin Hoffman and Paul Newman spring to mind. Generally like most of his films and think he has real screen prescence.

Guilty pleasure will have to be Wizard of Oz. Superb film.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:44 am

One of my favourite films is Jerry Maguire.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:46 am

I dearly love Independence Day. Other than that though my tastes are every bit as cool as they appear on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:56 am

Adam D wrote:
Phileas wrote:Cheers for the welcome. totally agree on ET you have to have a heart of stone not to like that movie.
Are you listening Hero?
I seriously despise the little wobbling turd, I'd kerb stomp him all the way home.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:57 am

I'm also a Tom Cruise fan. Most of the stuff he does is good and he's usually good in them.

I've never been a great fan of ET - I thought Close Encounters was far better. I saw ET when it came out and again at the cinema abut 10 years later in case I'd missed something, but still thought it was just OK.

Being of a certain age, I'm a big fan of certain Brat Pack films - Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and especially St Elmos Fire. I wouldn't expect anyone under 35 to like them, but they captured the zeitgeist of my salad days.

Other than that my tastes are obviously cooler than Rowley's Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:02 am

Not even close Julius. I even started a thread about foreign language films. It is like having Melvyn Bragg on the forum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:05 am

Rowley wrote:Not even close Julius. I even started a thread about foreign language films. It is like having Melvyn Bragg on the forum.
Isn't the title of the thread "Stop the snobbery"? Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:07 am

No confessions from me, I'm afraid.  Cage is still sh1t, Nolan is still overrated, the Coen brothers are still geniuses and, of all the films that have a scene where a piece of bacon is taped to the bathroom wall, Gummo is certainly the finest.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:09 am

I don’t want to stop the snobbery. I enjoy being one of those annoying people who, whenever someone mentions a film, says “the book is better” or I preferred the Korean original when the film is a remake.

(Only joking about the book is better bit, it is possibly the most specious observation imaginable.)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:15 am

Fair enough. I have to admit, I much preferred the original Korean version of ET.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:23 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Fair enough. I have to admit, I much preferred the original Korean version of ET.
Starring Kim JOng Ill in the titular role?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

Right then, here goes.

Tom Cruise is a very good actor, who suffers due to his personal views (which are embarrassing in the extreme). Never afraid to challenge himself in different roles, and in general does a fine job.

Similarly, enjoy Brad Pitt, who I think suffers due to his looks (people look at him, think "male model" and assume his popularity is due to that, rather than his acting skills which are pretty decent).

I also think Cage has put in some very good performances, yes he's OTT, but in certain films it works very well: thinking Bad Lieutenant, Kick-Ass, heck he was the only redeeming feature in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Absolutely love Nolan's work, and genuinely believe that The Dark Knight is the best film I saw in the 00's. An unfortunate side-effect of Nolan though is that too many people try to be like him (dark and serious all the time), and too often aren't good enough to pull it off (whereas a lighter tone is easier to get away with).

Agree with Galted that the Coen brothers are genii though, it's been too long since I last watched A Serious Man.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:58 am

I know all the songs to Sound of Music

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:00 am

I defy anyone to watch Welcome To The Jungle starring The Rock and Johnny Knoxville to tell me that they didn't enjoy it, even a little bit.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:01 am

Have downloaded countless classics with " a view to watching them one day" the number of times "Citizen Kane" or "12 Angry Men" etc etc gets deleted from my hard drive only to be downloaded again several months later is becoming painful. That in itself isn't too bad (am I only wanting to watch them out of snobbery?) but when you factor in that I'm generally deleting these films in order to watch something starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson or Stone Cold Steve Austin instead, it doesn't look like I'll be getting an invite to any serious film lover soirees any time soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:05 am

Dave Citizen Kane is missable, I only watched it as one to tick of the list but have felt no compulsion to repeat the viewing since. However 12 Angry Men is dizzyingly good and not just because it is in black and white and is meant to be cool.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:11 am

I've only seen Gone With the Wind once - in the cinema about 25 years ago. Brilliant, epic film. No idea if it comes across well on TV, but I doubt it. It needs a big screen.
I saw Citizen Kane around the same time (again, once only, in the cinema). I thought it was good but not great - I suspect much of it's reputation comes from the innovations it used at the time, which were probably more startling back then. It's more of a critics' film.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

I shall delete "Kane" without fear that I will lose cool points

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:22 am

You will lose points Dave, you are meant to watch it and pretend you liked it. However as a middle aged, bald heavy metal fan from Bradford think the cool ship sailed some time ago for you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Dave, you can get your cool points back by watching this :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(2012_film)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:30 am

Never even knew there was a cool ship.

Don't think I'd get a go on the cool pedalo these days.

I thought the purpose of the thread was to let go of these pretensions and thus obtain some kind of cathartic release by proclaiming your love for "New Jack City" or "Ricochet"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:31 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Dave, you can get your cool points back by watching this :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(2012_film)
Looks great...what part does Ben Stiller play though?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:34 am

some more from me:

I loved Planet Terror.

The 60's Batman film with Adam West is the second best Batman movie of all time.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:37 am

I admire Ben Affleck.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:40 am

STC wrote:I admire Ben Affleck.
an interesting one. The problem with Ben Affleck is that while he's not a bad actor, he's been in some absolutely dreadful movies (Daredevil immediately springs to mind). Having said that, he was good in Argo.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:40 am

Nothing wrong with that STC, he is an excellent director. All three of the films he has directed have been very enjoyable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:41 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:some more from me:

I loved Planet Terror.

The 60's Batman film with Adam West is the second best Batman movie of all time.
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" - that's a classic scene. Does the film have the Bat-shark repellent spray in?
I can honestly say that Cesar Romero did a very good turn as The Joker in the 1960s. Obviously the script wouldn't allow for multiple homicides, but he captured the maniacal craziness of The Joker very well.
I thought Jack Nicholson was better than Heath Ledger.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:44 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I loved Planet Terror.

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" - that's a classic scene. Does the film have the Bat-shark repellent spray in?
I can honestly say that Cesar Romero did a very good turn as The Joker in the 1960s. Obviously the script wouldn't allow for multiple homicides, but he captured the maniacal craziness of The Joker very well.
yep Very Happy though technically it's "shark-repellent bat-spray"
here's one for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHufrsP9XMA

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:49 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
STC wrote:I admire Ben Affleck.
an interesting one. The problem with Ben Affleck is that while he's not a bad actor, he's been in some absolutely dreadful movies (Daredevil immediately springs to mind). Having said that, he was good in Argo.
Rowley wrote:Nothing wrong with that STC, he is an excellent director. All three of the films he has directed have been very enjoyable.
I just think that how he went from the success of Good Will Hunting all the way down to the pits of despair the was Gigli and Daredevil, and Jersey Girl, to then claw his way back up with Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo is something to be admired.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:50 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I loved Planet Terror.

Romero's cackling laugh epitomises the essence of Joker for me however, Nicholson and Ledger all brought something to the role. In The Dark Knight when Caine's character said "Some people just want to watch the world burn" and you see sociaopathic tendencies in Ledger's character, you also see how he captured some of Joker's essence.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:58 am

A lot depends on how the character is written in the script I guess. The 1989 Batman got the character better than Nolan did.
Ledger was a very good twisted sociopath, but the Joker is also an unpredictable fruitcake, more likely to throw a street party with murderous intent (a la Burton) or want to turn fish into his likeness (The Laughing Fish) than he is to simply want to watch the world burn. The Joker of the Dark Knight could almost have been any villain bent on destruction.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:07 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:A lot depends on how the character is written in the script I guess. The 1989 Batman got the character better than Nolan did.
Ledger was a very good twisted sociopath, but the Joker is also an unpredictable fruitcake, more likely to throw a street party with murderous intent (a la Burton) or want to turn fish into his likeness (The Laughing Fish) than he is to simply want to watch the world burn. The Joker of the Dark Knight could almost have been any villain bent on destruction.
But Heath Ledger's dead so you can't say that.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:08 am

I really like Mean Girls.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:08 am

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:A lot depends on how the character is written in the script I guess. The 1989 Batman got the character better than Nolan did.

No, it's OK, I'm putting the blame on the scriptwriters.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:18 am

I could watch Signs over and over again.

Hugh Jackman is a w*nker.

Glad Ben Affleck is getting his dues as well. Good Will Hunting, Argo and The Town are all brilliant and all involve him.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:24 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:

No, it's OK, I'm putting the blame on the scriptwriters.
Ah ok, as you were then.  All I saw was a post involving Ledger that didn't say he's the greatest actor ever and didn't claim his portrayal of The Joker as the greatest performance ever and I may have over-reacted.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:27 am

STC wrote:I really like Mean Girls.
Glad someone else has thrown themselves out there first.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:28 am

I don't care thay Mel Gibson took liberties with the story of William Wallace. I enjoy "Braveheart" immensely and may even watch it again now that I've brought the subject up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:30 am

The Rocky franchise is better than any real boxing biopic or boxing story told on film.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

Adam D wrote:The Rocky franchise is better than any real boxing biopic or boxing story told on film.
No it isn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

I really like Dirty Dancing. The film, not actually dirty dancing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:35 am

Rowley wrote:
STC wrote:I really like Mean Girls.
Glad someone else has thrown themselves out there first.
I had to say it. I feel a lot better now.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:43 am

I quite enjoyed Teen Wolf (the Michael J. Fox version) when it came out (the film, not the wolf)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:49 am

The last fancy dress party I went to I went as Teen Wolf.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:23 pm

I quite enjoyed Pitch Perfect.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

I really like Hugh Grant in some films. I love Music & Lyrics.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next