The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia 5th ODI

+5
Mad for Chelsea
guildfordbat
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England v Australia 5th ODI - Page 2 Empty England v Australia 5th ODI

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

The series deciding ODI between England and Australia has just got underway. Steven Finn and Jonathan Trott are out with mild injury concerns, and Chris Jordan is making his England debut, and Luke Wright also gets an opportunity. For Australia, skipper Michael Clarke is fit and playing, and leggy Fawad Ahmed is also back.
Australia won the toss and are batting.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v Australia 5th ODI - Page 2 Empty Re: England v Australia 5th ODI

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm

Stokes over Bops for the future.  Mayne Rankin over Finn but if Finn finds form maybe not.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm

Faulkner not pleased about that, but a definite mark on hotspot.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm

Good to see most of players going up to Jordan at the end of his 10 and patting him on the back and saying well bowled, a debut he can be very proud of.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm

honestly thought aussie were heading to 380-390 here.

still a big score but nowhere near what they promised at one stage.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm

All out for 298. 5 for Stokes, 3 for Jordan and only 1 from Rankin but he was superb. 9.1 overs for 26 is superb when you've been played for nigh on 300.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm

JD - yes, Rankin certainly deserved that wicket at the end. Jordan stuck at it well and did a lot better than I expected.

I do feel Australia have got around 30 to 40 too many but we pegged them back well in the closing stages. Concerning about Tredwell appearing to be sussed and always a gamble to go into an ODI with Bopara being definitely expected to bowl 10 overs. Bopara can be effective but I prefer him as the 5th or 6th bowler with the initial aim of bowling a few tidy overs rather than having to get through his full allocation. I also feel Stokes' fivefer rather flattered him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm

While I agree Stokes's fiverfer flattered him Guildford, I do feel he has bowled pretty well throughout the series without reward, so it's deserved for me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:22 pm

I agree with your point about Tredwell Guildford, after being very, very impressive in the Champions Trophy it seems Australia have made a conscious effort to get after him and it has worked a dream. Hopefully with the time off between now and the ODI series in Aus he will be able to work out a plan on how to combat them. With England, IMO, being a bowler light Tredwell can't afford to be dispatched.

I think Stokes's 5 fer may have flattered him today, but I like how he has bowled all series and perhaps hasn't got the rewards he deserved.

Cook, KP, Trott, Root/Bops, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Broad, Tredwell, Anderson, Rankin I think looks like a very nice outfit.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:22 pm

Great minds about Stokes Olly, and all that.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

I have been looking forward to young Stokes getting a run in the side. Good to see him taking the opportunities he has got. He has mostly delivered alright with the ball, the 5 wicket haul is just reward for his overall bowling performance in the series. Think England should keep him in the frame even when Anderson and Broad returns. Hopefully Stokes' batting will also stand up so that he can come in at 6 and play as a proper all-rounder.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

Revenge is a dish best served hot by Michael Carberry. Whistle 

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:48 pm

KP and his miserable series continues.

If you are suggesting Carbs did that on purpose and threw away this series out spite? I hope not or he'd have to never play for eng again,

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:54 pm

I'm sure it was not deliberate by Carberry - but I think he would be only human if on reflection he has just a touch of satisfaction from the outcome... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:56 pm

Guys - no disagreement about Stokes' wickets today being earned over the series as a whole. Slightly surprising, as someone (possibly Mike) mentioned recently, that Durham appear to regard him more a batsman than a bowler. I saw him play against Surrey in a CC match earlier in the season purely as a batsman when a bad back prevented him taking the ball.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:02 pm

Was definitely a run there Trebbs. KP just looked like he didn't hear Carberry straight away.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:04 pm

Poor start from England yet again with the early run out of KP. Missed it in action and the end stages of the Australian innings. So what are the insinuations suggesting? Did Carberry have a tiff with KP?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:08 pm

After the Pietersen mix-up, Carberry is taking on some of the responsibility and giving the innings an early push.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:20 pm

JDizzle wrote:Was definitely a run there Trebbs. KP just looked like he didn't hear Carberry straight away.

Good to know.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:39 pm

Just as England looked like getting a move on, Michael Carberry is gone, given out LBW on an Australian review. James Faulkner with the wicket. England 50-2.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm

Pretty limp way for the experiment to end really.

Poor poor side , poor series.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:23 pm

Might be a better chance of winning if Bops gets out next ball.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:32 pm

Just turning it into a T20 with about 180 from 20 overs with only two decent bats to come is pointless.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm

If Bops gets 80 from 50, then call me silly. Just stupid for now.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:35 pm

Wrong tactics, wrong players, wrong from England.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:44 pm

The BBC feed just revelling in England finally getting hammered is sickening.

Smug fools.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:21 pm

Lack of intent from all, has let the team down down today. Cook, Bell, Trott, i could understand.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:39 pm

Meh we all knew what the series was gonna be, and quite frankly I'd rather guys like Swann and Anderson were rested tbh.

Certainly from this series in my mind Buttler has come on leaps and bounds with the gloves and bat, Stokes has shown there is talent there to work with (potential test 6/7, 4th seamer for me), Jordan as well, Rankin has firmly put himself in the Ashes squad imo as well. Carberry isn't gonna stick around long. But there's certainly talent coming through
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:42 pm

Also if you think or say Australia have the momentum because they won an ODI series with 3 test players involved then please go get your head checked
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:52 pm

Evening all.

I like Stokes's bowling I really do. 5 wickets flattered him, but as others have said he's bowled better than his figures suggest so far. I am concerned however that he is not yet a number 7, let alone a number 6; more to the point I am not sure that he has the ability to be a number 6, I haven't really seen any attributed beyond that he hits the ball hard. Then again, Freddie Flintoff turned himself into a reasonable number 6, and good luxury number 7 from little more, so obviously there is still hope, but I worry whether the game has moved on even since Freddie. He wouldn't however get near a test squad yet.

Buttler has really impressed me this series. We knew he could play decisive cameos, but he's played 3 very good knocks here.

Rankin alongside Buttler has been the success story. I'm fairly sure he has bowled himself onto the plane to Australia now. I really really don't like what Giles and England have done to Ireland with him, but he has earned his chance ahead of Tremlett no doubt about that.

Carberry hasn't convinced me at all. I've expanded on his limitations before, but they're there for all to see. I suspect he might have played himself out of an international future. It's hard to see how he could improve at his age.

England have a problem with Tredwell. He is a thinking bowler, but he is limited, and Australia have exploited his limitations ruthlessly. He doesn't have the variations, guile or simply the turn of Swann. Unfortunately the modern fielding restrictions do seem to be affecting the spinner more than I would like: apart from Tredwell, Fawad Ahmed bowled very reasonably and unlike Tredwell genuinely spun the ball, yet got taken for 7s reasonably comfortably in both games.

If Tredwell is going the distance, England want to win ODIs and keep Stokes in the side they have a problem, because he isn't quite yet a 3rd seamer, but it's clear that the balance of the side is better with Buttler at 7. However you can't play 2 main bowlers, one almost main bowler, one bowler who is getting tonked, and then bits and pieces. It's fine generally to make up 10 overs of Bopara/Root/anyone else, just, but not if one of your bowlers is going round the park and one is a bit raw just yet. England clearly want to keep Swann for tests as much as possible, so I'm not sure where they go. Another spinner instead of Tredwell? But he would also be targeted. Guildford and Trebs both made the valid point that Root shouldn't be bowling 6 overs, particularly not consecutively when Watson could have a real look at him.

Looking forward to the ashes squad, you would guess the following are certs: Cook, Root, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson, Broad.

On top of that England will take an extra batsman to fit into the XI, and 1 or possibly 2 spares - at the moment I would still have Bairstow, then it's between Taylor, Morgan, Bopara; I feel Compo is out of contention (somewhat harshly) and Carberry has probably played himself out of contention; I can't see Stokes anywhere near the squad yet. 1 spare spinner and 2 (possibly 3) spare seamers, which I would now say are Finn, Rankin and Onions, in that order (so if only 2 then Onions would miss out).

A question is whether England take a spare opener, and if so who? It would be a risk going into an ashes series abroad with only Root as an option to partner Cook, but Carberry just doesn't inspire confidence, and I'm fairly sure Compo is not an option, so taking a completely new opener in case your inexperienced opener fails seems a strange option; besides which, realistically who is there? Chopra would be next in line, but I'm not sure he inspires any confidence either...

For Australia you would fancy Mitch Johnson to start at Brisbane now - he had a very impressive series and we know Cook struggles a bit to left-armers; also he really troubled Trott and with Starc likely out...

I like Faulkner every time I see him, but not sure he strikes me as a bit bits and pieces for test cricket just yet. His stock bowling would have to develop further IMO. Is Bailey an option for the number 5/6 slot? You would assume Warner, Rogers, Watson, Clarke and Smith start as their top 5.

Haddin keeps (I still rate Wade higher as a batsman, but his keeping was shoddy again), Lyon as a spinner, Siddle and Harris 2 of the seamers are dead certs I would say.

I guess with Johnson in the side, you do then have the option of Faulkner at 7 given the depth he adds to the batting, but I'd be concerned with Haddin at 6.

Overall a deserved series win for Australia who have outplayed England fairly comfortably on the whole. England will take solace from the fact it wasn't their gun team obviously. I don't personally believe this will have any effect on the ashes coming up.

I do agree with trebbs that it feels like overkill. Mind you, I find the endless repetition of what are mostly meaningless series that constitutes most of test cricket at times like overkill...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm

Mike is Bresnan going to be fit for the series down under?

Doesn't he have the back problem ala Starc/Pattinson/Cummins?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:57 pm

Does he? That completely slipped me by I must say. In which case it is even easier: the 9 I said + 3 batsmen (Bairstow will go as reserve keeper at least, and 2 of Morgan, Bopara, Taylor), a spinner and 3 seamers which will surely be Finn, Rankin and Onions. England seem keen for Tremlett but it looks like too big a risk from here...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23720676

I'm sure that's the same as they have, he could be back during the series I think, not too sure on that.

I'd take Woakes over Onions incase Broad gets injured personally...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:12 pm

Woakes as a 3rd seamer would seriously concern me - unfortunately we saw at the Oval how that turned out, and the pitches in Australia will have bounce but not so much lateral movement, I suspect Woakes at his pace and with his style will just come onto the bat nicely there.

Of Stokes and Woakes from what I have seen so far I would rate Stokes ahead on the bowling front (I think he could become a 3rd seamer quite quickly) but Woakes on the batting (easily good enough to bat at 7, possibly 6 in future). Which is ironic, because on reputation it should be the contrary. I think if Woakes has a future in tests it is as a 4th seamer batting at 6 - his bowling giving control rather than wicket-taking threat (a bit like Watson) whereas Stokes I think could be a 3rd seamer who bats at 7 (but ATM I don't see him as a top 6 option in internationals).

However, whilst I have seen a fair amount of Woakes at county level, I haven't seen much of Stokes - would be interested to hear from anyone who does, has he not shown the best of himself with the bat in this series?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:15 pm

Well Stokes averages 36 with the bat, with 8 hundreds and 14 fifties, and take into account he plays most of his cricket at Durham, a place renowned for it's seam/swing movement, that's not that bad on paper.

Can't say I've ever seen him play FC cricket tho, going purely off stats
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2