The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard III's tomb - what do you think?

5 posters

Go down

Richard III's tomb - what do you think? Empty Richard III's tomb - what do you think?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:22 pm

Spoiler:

This is the proposed design for Richard III's tomb as announced today in Leicester Cathedral.  I think it's quite classy.  Much better site than the car park!  What do you think?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Richard III's tomb - what do you think? Empty Re: Richard III's tomb - what do you think?

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

Yep, very English and very smart. I like it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Richard III's tomb - what do you think? Empty Re: Richard III's tomb - what do you think?

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:42 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Yep, very English and very smart. I like it.
Where's the bird with the big t*ts, spewing up 15 Aftershocks whilst leftover kebab gets stuck in her knickers that are round her ankles as she's being banged by some bloke she's only just met and having a p*ss in a bus shelter at the same time then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:04 am

He said English, not Yorkshire-ese.

I like it. I just hope they put him in York Minster, as he would have wanted, rather than in Leicester, where no-one has ever wanted to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:He said English, not Yorkshire-ese.
Very Happy Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

Chuck him in a skip.........Killed two kids in the Tower and lost a shutout to Henry the vii..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:52 am

Those kids were born from peasant stock (their mother) and Richard III saved us from a Woodville dynasty. That's a point for him.

He also gave money to universities. The church. Killed rebels. Dispatched justice swiftly. Founded the College of Arms. In two years he achieved more than the charlatan Henry VII did in 24 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:18 pm

Agree with Fists and Azzy, really like it. Classy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:20 pm

It is smart. Almost worth waiting underneath a car park for 500 years for!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:56 pm

I like the inverted cross on it as well, someone should carve SLAYER into it to make it even better

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Where's the bird with the big t*ts, spewing up 15 Aftershocks whilst leftover kebab gets stuck in her knickers that are round her ankles as she's being banged by some bloke she's only just met and having a p*ss in a bus shelter at the same time then?
I think they have both been left to get on with it outside in the car park. Whistle 

I can understand there are a few reservations about the moral character of Richard III.  But it's still a classy tomb - a tomb to die for.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2013, 10:17 pm

I see the cathedral lost £40k of funding for it. From the Richard III Society. So much for it being tasteful!

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 23 Sep 2013, 11:28 pm

The cathedral is (rightly in my view) standing by their proposal and saying that it did not depend on getting the 40k funding from Richard III Society.

Sounds like the Richard III Society has got its own mini civil war going on anyway. When the design was unveiled, the Society chairman Dr Phil Stone said it was "beautiful". "I think it is inspired," he said. "I was surprised at the depth of the cross but have been reassured by the thinking behind it."

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:26 am

Young Irish lad goes to the library and says, "Top o' the marnin' ta ya madam, oim lookin fer a book called 'D!ck da sh!t'"

The librarian looks at him aghast and says "There's no such book young man"

He replied "Really? Dat's odd cus me teacher told us to check out a book called Richard da Turd"

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:32 am

Laugh Laugh 

I did see that Mail on line commentators mostly don't like the design.  So clearly that Proves that it's classy.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:49 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Laugh Laugh 

I did see that Mail on line commentators mostly don't like the design.  So clearly that Proves that it's classy.
"It's terrible, there's nothing on to suggest that immigrant paedophiles on housing benefits killed Diana...oh how I miss her still"

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 26 May 2014, 10:22 pm

The judicial review of the plans to bury Richard III in Leicester Cathedral has recently been defeated.  Have to see whether they are sticking with the designed as discussed earlier....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 27 May 2014, 6:32 pm

Hmmmmm..... not sure what I think of the tomb right now.  First impression is that it might have been designed by Ikea.

I think history has treated Richard III rather harshly and as much as I hate to admit it, Shakespeare has a lot to do with that.  As much as I love the works of the Immortal Bard, I have to admit he really did a hatchet job on the last of the Plantagenet monarchs.

I saw Guest's post, listing some of Richards' achievements and would like to add that he also did a lot for the economy of the north of England which was largely dependent on London at that time (pretty much like it is today).

He founded the Court of Requests, a court to which poor people who couldn't afford representation could apply for justice.  He improved the rules on bail which kept many accused people out of prison before they were found guilty.  He also founded the College of Arms, banned restrictions on the printing and selling of books and had all the books pertaining to the law in England translated from French into English.

Evidence regarding his involvement in the disappearance of the Princes in the Tower is disputed and will probably never be resolved.   Innocent until proven guilty...? (another wise law founded by a Plantagenet king:  Henry II)

A dignified and respectable burial site for the last English king to die in battle is a good thing.  Should it have been in Yorkshire instead of Leicester..?  I have no real opinion on that but I suspect that Yorkshire's attraction for wanting the remains is probably more motivated by financial gain through tourism than out of historical interest.

Leicester seem to have won the day now and I don't have a problem with that.   I might be tempted to make time to visit the Cathedral the next time I'm up in Leicester to watch rugby at Welford Road.

Just as an aside to the topic:   It's a shame the remains of Alfred the Great have never been found and have no resting place that the people can visit and children can see to get some sense of our history.   Alfred's bones were disinterred during the dissolution of the monasteries but the place they were relocated to was never adequately recorded and it seems they were lost forever.  'tis a pity.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down