The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September

+12
GLove39
TJ
LeinsterFan4life
EWT Spoons
Manky-Flanker
munkian
RDW
tigertattie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ScarletSpiderman
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September Empty Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets

Friday 27 September 2013, KO 19:45
Murrayfield Mausoleum, Edinburgh

Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU, 22nd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Peter Allan, Adrian Graves (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Kirk (SRU)

[Not televised?]

A. Teams:

Edinburgh picard
15 Greig Tonks
14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 Ben Atiga
11 Jack Cuthbert
10 Harry Leonard
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford CAPTAIN
3 Willem Nel
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Izak van der Westhuizen
6 Dimitri Basilaia
7 Roddy Grant
8 David Denton

Replacements:
16 James Hilterbrand
17 Wicus Blaauw
18 Geoff Cross
19 Sean Cox
20 Hamish Watson
21 Sean Kennedy
22 Joaquin Dominguez
23 Michael Tait

Scarlets Wales 
15 Liam Williams
14 Nick Reynolds
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Scott Williams
11 Jordan Williams
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Rhodri Williams

1 Phil John
2 Emyr Phillips
3 Samson Lee
4 Jake Ball
5 Joe Snyman
6 Josh Turnbull
7 John Barclay
8 Rob McCusker (capt).

Replacements:
16 Ken Owens
17 Rob Evans
18 Jacobie Adriaanse
19 George Earle
20 Sione Timani
21 Aled Davies
22 Aled Thomas
23 Gareth Maule.

B. Form - head to head:

22 Played 22
12 Wins 10
10 Losses 12
0 Draws 0
44 Tries 57
33 Conversions 35
53 Penalties 33
4 Drop Goals 1
457 Points 457
26 Avg. Age 25

C. Form - recent:

1 March 2013
Scarlets 14 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

26 October 2012
Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 29 Scarlets

30 March 2012
Edinburgh Rugby 26 - 23 Scarlets

Incredible to note that the last three matches have all ended with a margin of 3 points or less.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm

Pretty closely matched records, and both sides having a rough start to the season. I'm not preparing for a classic on Friday, but hopefully we can scrape over the line for 4 points. We'll need the defence to step up (not difficult to improve in that department), and Leonard to nail his kicks.

Win this one and for all the awfulness of the Munster (1st half) and Ospreys performances, we'll probably be par on points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Scarlets, 27 September

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:48 pm

Scarlets will be missing both Shinglers due to injury, and also Gareth Owen too. So going on who is available etc I would expect us to feild a side along the lines of

Li Williams
J Williams
S Williams
J Davies
G Maule (N Reynolds, if Maule is unfit)
Priestland
G Davies

John
Owens
Lee
Ball
Kelly
Turnbull
Barclay
McCusker
(E Phillips, R Evans, R Jones, J Snyman, S Timani, R Williams, A Thomas, N Reynolds/K Evans)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm

Useful openside you have there.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets will be missing both Shinglers due to injury, and also Gareth Owen too.  So going on who is available etc I would expect us to feild a side along the lines of

Li Williams
J Williams
S Williams
J Davies
G Maule (N Reynolds, if Maule is unfit)
Priestland
G Davies

John
Owens
Lee
Ball
Kelly
Turnbull
Barclay
McCusker
(E Phillips, R Evans, R Jones, J Snyman, S Timani, R Williams, A Thomas, N Reynolds/K Evans)
Spidey - what are your views on how the season has been going for you so far?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:02 am

fEs -: I hope he comes good, he didn't seem to be make any difference last week, and was not any better than Josh Turnbull (that said Turnbull is not that bad IMO). Definately not the fix we needed at the breakdown.

George -: I think this season we have really shown up well in the pack. I have said for a few seasons that our biggest weakness was not our pack, but the reputation our pack has. And we have got off to a good start up front, with Scrum V regularly raving about our destructive scummaging. I think that Rob McCusker needs to spend a few more sessions trainning at keeping the ball under control when the scrum starts moving forward rapidly though, as if he could have we may have salvaged a draw with the Dragons.

Our wings and fullbacks have been pretty ropey this season so far. Gareth Owen has not seemed too good in the tackle area, and Liam and Jordan Williams seem less comfortable on the wings than at fullback. Both the Williams lads (not related) are cracking open field runner, however on the wing they seem too confined.

All in all we seem like we are not far off where we were last season, but just been to put in a full 80 mins work, as it has been a few lax moments (15-20 mins) that have seen us lose to Leinster and Dragons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

Give him time Spidey, that was only his first game of the season. Trust me, you be pretty pleased with John Barclay when he hits form.

On a totally unrelated note, had quite a bizarre week spotting former Scotland internationals. Gave a presentation to a Board the other day and found myself fielding questions from none other than Andy Irvine. Would have killed to be able to return a few questions myself!

....and today, more bizarrely, a bloke called Jamie Mayer came to my desk asking for my thoughts on a particular contract! Looks more like a prop forward now.....(I mean that in a nice(ish) way Radge.....).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Give him time Spidey, that was only his first game of the season. Trust me, you be pretty pleased with John Barclay when he hits form.

On a totally unrelated note, had quite a bizarre week spotting former Scotland internationals. Gave a presentation to a Board the other day and found myself fielding questions from none other than Andy Irvine. Would have killed to be able to return a few questions myself!

....and today, more bizarrely, a bloke called Jamie Mayer came to my desk asking for my thoughts on a particular contract! Looks more like a prop forward now.....(I mean that in a nice(ish) way Radge.....).
Hope you gave him a few Lions home truths steam 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:55 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Give him time Spidey, that was only his first game of the season. Trust me, you be pretty pleased with John Barclay when he hits form.

Hope you gave him a few Lions home truths steam 
He said Tuilagi sticking two fingers behind David Cameron was actually his idea.....and that Gatland was right to drop BOD....

censored 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

This is a game that Edinburgh surely should be targetting to win?

Mind you, should be targetting all games to win really!

But the history shows these teams share a 50/50 with each other and with home advantage, surely this should be Edinburgh's game!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:19 am

I'd take a win at all costs with this game - a good performance would be nice, but we need to win.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

tigertattie wrote:This is a game that Edinburgh surely should be targetting to win?

Mind you, should be targetting all games to win really!

But the history shows these teams share a 50/50 with each other and with home advantage, surely this should be Edinburgh's game!
I think this is one of those games that Edinburgh should be favourites for. If only on the grounds that they beat the Dragons in Edinburgh, and the Dragons beat the Scarlets in Newport. SO realistically Edinburgh should win.

That said, I think the Scarlets backline, minus the injured Gareth Owen, will have a more ballenced shape so I would personally back the Scarlets for a win.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:49 am

Scarlets team

Li Williams
Reynolds
J Davies
S Williams
J Williams
Priestland
R Williams

John
Phillips
Lee
Ball
Snyman
Turnbull
Barclay
McCusker

(Owens, R Evans, Adriaanse, Earle, Timani, A Davies, A Thomas, Maule)

I wasn't too far off with my guess, but it looks like we are holding some better players on the bench for some reason.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:56 am

If Embra don't improve from last week they should get a kicking
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:57 am

Your half backs and midfield are considerably better than ours will be, and that's a pretty useful loose forward trio as well (plenty mobility at least).

Agree with RDW, I'd take a 6-3 victory with the winning drop goal in the 80th minute bouncing off both posts frankly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:59 am

Just realised what my post sounded like - a threat to improve performance Shocked 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:02 pm

munkian wrote:Just realised what my post sounded like - a threat to improve performance Shocked 

Wasn't that Skrella's attitude to coaching?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

Edinburgh team announced - no major surprises, and I'm on my phone so can't be hooped with the hassle of trying to post it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh team announced - no major surprises, and I'm on my phone so can't be hooped with the hassle of trying to post it!
Here you go Amish Boy:

15 Greig Tonks

14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 Ben Atiga
11 Jack Cuthbert

10 Harry Leonard
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford CAPTAIN
3 Willem Nel
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Izak van der Westhuizen
6 Dimitri Basilaia
7 Roddy Grant
8 David Denton

Substitutes
16 James Hilterbrand
17 Wicus Blaauw
18 Geoff Cross
19 Sean Cox
20 Hamish Watson
21 Sean Kennedy
22 Joaquin Dominguez
23 Michael Tait
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm

Geebus, we have more Scottish surnames in the Scarlets team than you have in there!

What areas you boys think Edinburgh are going to be targetting?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm

Great to see the dynamic trio of Jones, Atiga and Cuthbert on the pitch at the same time. Doh 

Gc - I'm currently lording it up in first class on the east coast to London. Bloody outrage though, they didn't start serving booze until midday! Got on the train at 9:30!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

Spidy - 11 of the starting team are Scottish.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Geebus, we have more Scottish surnames in the Scarlets team than you have in there!

I think our areas of focus will be:
1. Not playing like we've all just met in the car park.
2. Not getting anyone yellow carded.
3. Not giving Lee Jones the ball.
4. Not giving Ben Atiga any more doughnuts.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

True that, Spidey, altho from the starting team only Atiga (thank god) and Basilia can never play for Scotland - vdW is a 'project' player in all but name apparently.

Visser and Walker injured?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:14 pm

Spidey - our pack is pretty strong and that front row has done well in the scrums.

The less said about the backs the better - let's just say it's not the most dynamic backline going!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm

RDW - just a bit of fun at the traditional Scottish names like Jones, De Luca, Atiga, Hidalgo-Clyne, Nel etc, when we have the likes of McCusker in our ranks. Just goes to show how surnames are not indicators of nationality. Sure as hell I wouldn't want to tell De Luca he was Italian and not Scottish.

So it looks like it is going to be a battle of the forwards then. Whats the weather meant to be like? Is the game on alba?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:RDW - just a bit of fun at the traditional Scottish names like Jones, De Luca, Atiga, Hidalgo-Clyne, Nel etc, when we have the likes of McCusker in our ranks.  Just goes to show how surnames are not indicators of nationality.  Sure as hell I wouldn't want to tell De Luca he was Italian and not Scottish.

So it looks like it is going to be a battle of the forwards then.  Whats the weather meant to be like?  Is the game on alba?
He'd cry

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm

Happy with the Edinburgh pack (good continuity of selection), but there is a massive gulf in class between the Edinburgh and Scarlets backs.

I'm pleased that Leonard is getting a run, and I've been saying all along that Hidalgo-Clyne should be given game time at 9 this season, but Atiga, Jones and Cuthbert in tandem doesn't give me any confidence at all. The only positive for me is NDL back at 13 - good defender and his excellent individual try against Munster should give him confidence. Still, a midfield combo of Priestland, JD2 and Scott Williams is light years ahead of Leonard, Atiga and NDL.

Head says Scarlets by 10 points. Heart says Edinburgh by 1!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:RDW - just a bit of fun at the traditional Scottish names like Jones, De Luca, Atiga, Hidalgo-Clyne, Nel etc, when we have the likes of McCusker in our ranks.  Just goes to show how surnames are not indicators of nationality.  Sure as hell I wouldn't want to tell De Luca he was Italian and not Scottish.

So it looks like it is going to be a battle of the forwards then.  Whats the weather meant to be like?  Is the game on alba?
De Luca has Italian family, hidalgo-metrosexual-clyne is half Spanish and lee Jones is just crap.

Never heard of a Scottish McCusker so you can keep him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:16 pm

I don't think that I've ever seen a starting backline with 4 guys named Williams.
The rugby equivalent of 5 Guys Named Moe. music
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:19 pm

I might put a bet on Williams to score. Whistle 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

I can't help thinking we shouldn't have let Owen Williams the fly half sneak off to Leicester at the end of last season. We could have feilded a backline like this:
Li Williams, Aa Warren, Sc Williams, Ad Warren, Jo Williams, Ow Williams, Rh Williams
That would be a lazy commentators dream.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:54 pm

George Carlin wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Geebus, we have more Scottish surnames in the Scarlets team than you have in there!

I think our areas of focus will be:
1. Not playing like we've all just met in the car park.
2. Not getting anyone yellow carded.

Missed a couple:
5. To properly implement a good catch a not feck-up every single re-start.
6. Not substituting our entire front row the very second that they start to play well.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

5 is particularly key, for nothing more than the sake of my sanity.

If I see another situation where we plod away at the opposition line for 10 minutes yielding a net gain of 3 points, only for us to cough up an easy 7 points in 30 seconds from the restart I'll go nuts!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Thats fookin comedy gold!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:20 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I can't help thinking we shouldn't have let Owen Williams the fly half sneak off to Leicester at the end of last season.  We could have feilded a backline like this:
Li Williams, Aa Warren, Sc Williams, Ad Warren, Jo Williams, Ow Williams, Rh Williams
That would be a lazy commentators dream.
It's like a periodic table

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

The dole queue, if they don't improve.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm

Manky-Flanker wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

The dole queue, if they don't improve.
Well I think there will be some queue there, the Scarlets and Blues players/coaches are in a similar boat.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm

tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Thats fookin comedy gold!
Yahoo 
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:45 am

His name was mentioned in another thread so thought I would ask this question here.  Does anyone know what’s happening with Farndale?  I only ask because there was high hopes for him this season (might have just been me), but there's been no sign of him.  Given the dynamism of Jones and Cuthbert, it might have been nice to have him on the bench at least for this game. Unless he's injured again and I've just missed that.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:48 am

When are these new signings arriving at Edinburgh?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:13 pm

Spoons - can't fathom why he's not played yet.

Leinster - a lot of them have recently arrived, Cornell du preez will be here soon and the other kiwi guy next month

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm

Watching Lee Jones play on the wing makes me want to dust off my boots and challenge him for the position

and I'm a retired prop
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:32 pm

Glad its not just me.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:22 pm

I'm likewise annoyed about Farndale being omitted. I remember seeing him at U20 level and thinking that he had a big future, and yet he just isn't making the step up.

I just don't understand the point of picking Cuthbert on the wing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm likewise annoyed about Farndale being omitted. I remember seeing him at U20 level and thinking that he had a big future, and yet he just isn't making the step up.

I just don't understand the point of picking Cuthbert on the wing.
That's more like it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

Not just picking Cuthbert -signing him. I think they thought he was the welsh winger. Perhaps due to the bufties perennially gin sodden state. I do hope he was cheap

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm

Well if Tonks and Brown were to be injured, then Cuthbert is probably our 3rd choice fullback. I can't see him in any other role, he just isn't sharp enough for the wing.

Wings are on the pitch to score tries and finish. Being quick off the mark is pretty essential.

Whoever has been working on Mike Brown's pace needs to work with Cuthbert. If he could work on his kicking from hand, fielding of the high ball and his pace, then he could develop at 15, but like Brown, he'll never be a top class winger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well if Tonks and Brown were to be injured, then Cuthbert is probably our 3rd choice fullback. I can't see him in any other role, he just isn't sharp enough for the wing.

Wings are on the pitch to score tries and finish. Being quick off the mark is pretty essential.

Whoever has been working on Mike Brown's pace needs to work with Cuthbert. If he could work on his kicking from hand, fielding of the high ball and his pace, then he could develop at 15, but like Brown, he'll never be a top class winger.
That would be Margo Wells of "Alluuuuuuuuuuuuunnn" fame (for those with long enough memories)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

She not Tom Evans' sprint coach too?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next