The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury's dilemma

+23
Rowley
hampo17
Lance
Lumbering_Jack
Adam D
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Steffan
Strongback
OasisBFC
horizontalhero
TopHat24/7
bhb001
sittingringside
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hogey
seanmichaels
AlexHuckerby
RanjitPatel
catchweight
azania
Union Cane
hazharrison
armchairwarrior
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fury's dilemma  Empty Fury's dilemma

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:16 am

My daughter has a passing interest in boxing. Give or take a few different words this is how it went....

At breakfast....

Dad, someone told me that Tyson Fury will take a keep busy fight. Whats the difference between a fight and a keep busy fight?

Tyson just wants to keep his form from his camp and fight someone much lower ranked on TV so as to not jeopardize his fight with Haye in Feb.

So..he wants an opponent who is easy and won't win.

well...Kind of...sort of like a work out for Tyson and a bit of an opportunity for someone lower down

So, its not really a competitive fight then is it if the other guy can't win - some opportunity!

I didn't say "can't" just almost certainly won't

Well whats the point then. Say if tennis was like boxing, it's like Andy Murray would play world no 196 in November waiting for Nadal in February...and who on earth would bother to watch a 6-0 6-0 thrashing. What would be the point?

erm..well ( starting to struggle )...people always like to see a fight, and Tyson's a name now through associations with Haye and people just will tune in to see fists fly whatever....

So, people will watch a really big guy beating up another guy who hasn't much hope for fun then?...

Ermm...well ( starting to fall apart and checking watch for meeting )

Thats really rubbish...Isn't it like badger baiting or where people set dogs on tied up bears..

Erm..no..NO ( finds argument )..ITS NOT. Because both are consenting adults and agree and get paid...( aha! )

Ok, so that makes it all ok then. Two guys fight each other and one has deliberately been picked because he is nowhere near as good is almost certainly going to lose and possibly be badly hurt and people watch it and its all ok because everyone taking part consents and are getting paid. Why is that a sport though?

Erm..gotta go to a meeting..

Tyson Fury faces a interesting dilemma though.

If he stays busy, who does he fight?

If its a Mike Middleton northern doorman or the like and a one round stoppage he will just be ridiculed.

If its someone like Chisora, that would be great for boxing, but very very risky for Tyson particularly as he is on good form at present ( Chisora would be insanely motivated to derail Fury )

I suspect Haye's "sparring partners" won't get a look in...

Who are the in-betweeners that Fury could get for November?

Last edited by armchairwarrior on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Fury's dilemma  Empty Re: Fury's dilemma

Post by hazharrison Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 am

Thompson or Chambers perhaps.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 am

Did Audley retire or not?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:26 am

Some eastern European plumber who can take a punch and allow fury a decent workout.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 am

I dont think he would fight anyone with even a vague chance of upsetting his big payday or making him look bad. I would be surprised if he took a keep busy fight. He could get injured or cut himself. If he does it will against a no hoper.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 am

The fella Chisora fought the other night would make a good punchbag

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 am

He's already slapped chisora. That would be a step back.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 am

Matt Skelton? - Over the hill but very game and entertaining

Audley - probably shot, but with a glimmer of danger and would ( strangely ) still pull a big audience

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 am

I know you cant fully replicate a fight in sparring but surely sparring Chambers, Cunningham and his cousin has got to be more meaningful than fighting a Gerber or Audley type.
Have a month off then get back in camp with the same or similar sparring and he'll be where he was anyway. In my opinion.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

Another fight would benefit him -- he could do with 12 rounds.

Most boxing matches are set ups (in that they're made with an eye towards one person having an advantage -- the money guy). It's the way the sport runs (it always baffles me when undercard bouts are televised between prospects and journeyman -- they're interminable).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 am

RanjitPatel wrote:I know you cant fully replicate a fight in sparring but surely sparring Chambers, Cunningham and his cousin has got to be more meaningful than fighting a Gerber or Audley type.
Have a month off then get back in camp with the same or similar sparring and he'll be where he was anyway. In my opinion.
I agree - in purist terms. But I suspect the PR machine behind Fury will want to keep the interest going and get Fury on TV

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 am

Or he could just fight the kickboxer in Belgium at the end of October like he said.
I am kidding just in case.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am

azania wrote:He's already slapped chisora. That would be a step back.
Well you already said some Eastern European no hoper, thats an even bigger step back than Chisora, plus a lot of people think Chisora in 3 stone lighter this time may just help him a tad.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 am

He wouldnt go near Chisora. I was talking about the useless guy Chisora beat the other night. Somebody like that is about as risky as they would choose.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

Union Cane wrote:Did Audley retire or not?
Get Audley in! Imagine how pi55ed Haye would be if Audley landed a Sprott shot again. Thiswould make me very happy.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Alex lets not forget that fury wS also out of shape for that fight so it equalises itself.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

The fit motivated Chisora from Saturday beats Fury easily probably stops him inside 6 rounds, Thompson is a level above and beats him as well. The problem Fury has he is so chinny that anyone of any note above Cruiserweight has a shout of KOing him. If i was him i would just wait till February and hope the Haye fight comes off because an accident waiting to happen like him could lose that £5m in the blink of an eye.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Well you already said some Eastern European no hoper, thats an even bigger step back than Chisora, plus a lot of people think Chisora in 3 stone lighter this time may just help him a tad.
Its actually a step up now. Chisora has progressed to become European Champion......something Fury has been no where near. British, Irish titles and non title contests.

Why didn't Manny get criticised for all those step backs against Marquez when they had close fights like Chisora v Fury
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm

azania wrote:Alex lets not forget that fury wS also out of shape for that fight so it equalises itself.
Fury was also out of shape but Chisora's whole style is on constant pressure and workrate, so he relies on being in top shape more than most. Would also say he was in worse shape than Fury was when they fought, 8 inches shorter but pretty much the same weight....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Chisora was a disgrace that night he was desperately struggling for breath like a fish that had been pulled out of a river after the first round, fair play to Fury he can only beat what a was in front of him but all any heavyweight with a pulse had to do that night was survive the first round and then it was in the bag. Even then Delboy the Hutt had Fury in trouble a few times and he only threw about 40 punches all night.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Its actually a step up now. Chisora has progressed to become European Champion......something Fury has been no where near. British, Irish titles and non title contests.

Why didn't Manny get criticised for all those step backs against Marquez when they had close fights like Chisora v Fury
I think this fight will happen a little way down the road, it's clearly not right for now though.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 pm

hogey wrote:The fit motivated Chisora from Saturday beats Fury easily probably stops him inside 6 rounds, Thompson is a level above and beats him as well. The problem Fury has he is so chinny that anyone of any note above Cruiserweight has a shout of KOing him. If i was him i would just wait till February and hope the Haye fight comes off because an accident waiting to happen like him could lose that £5m in the blink of an eye.  
Now, I have a problem with this. He's a bit like a weeble. He wobbles, but won't stay down. So saying that he is chinny in the same way as say Khan or Price is little harsh.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 pm

hazharrison wrote:Thompson or Chambers perhaps.
You don't step-up for a keep busy fight!!

They're both better than anything he's fought before. He needs credible low risk opponents, which with his chin is risky. Needs a Sam Sexton type. Has he fought SS?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 pm

If Fury loses to Haye then a Chisora rematch would be high up the list of possibles.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:00 pm

bhb001 wrote:
hogey wrote:The fit motivated Chisora from Saturday beats Fury easily probably stops him inside 6 rounds, Thompson is a level above and beats him as well. The problem Fury has he is so chinny that anyone of any note above Cruiserweight has a shout of KOing him. If i was him i would just wait till February and hope the Haye fight comes off because an accident waiting to happen like him could lose that £5m in the blink of an eye.  
Now, I have a problem with this. He's a bit like a weeble. He wobbles, but won't stay down. So saying that he is chinny in the same way as say Khan or Price is little harsh.
Only reason he could get up was because they were non punchers Pajkic has featherfists and Cunningham was not even a decent puncher in his own weight division. If those shots were from even average punching Heavies Fury would have been flat on his back for the full count.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Slapped? When was that? Another press conference dust up that I must've missed, because it sure as hell wasn't inside a boxing ring!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Slapped? When was that? Another press conference dust up that I must've missed, because it sure as hell wasn't inside a boxing ring!!
He did win clearly though. I think Chisora could definitely beat him in the rematch, but we can't take that first win away from Fury.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm

hogey wrote:
bhb001 wrote:
Only reason he could get up was because they were non punchers Pajkic has featherfists and Cunningham was not even a decent puncher in his own weight division. If those shots were from even average punching Heavies Fury would have been flat on his back for the full count.
Possibly, but he did survive a knockdown from a very big heavy weight early on in his career as well. Okay, he actually threw the punch himself, but he still got up!! Joking aside, you are probably right, but it hasn't yet been conclusively proven and the man does tend to surprise!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:16 pm

The only fight he should even think about taking is if he gets offered a Klitchko. He's on the brink of a multi milllion pound payday which I doubt he has the talent to ensure that there are many more of down the track, so to risk it would be stupid unless it's for a title shot.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:20 pm

armchairwarrior wrote:
Well whats the point then. Say if tennis was like boxing, it's like Andy Murray would play world no 196 in November waiting for Nadal in February...and who on earth would bother to watch a 6-0 6-0 thrashing. What would be the point?

you should have said 'millions watch fury on channel 5 beating up bums, that's SPORT. idiot!' then put her breakfast in the bin.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:20 pm

sittingringside wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
He did win clearly though. I think Chisora could definitely beat him in the rematch, but we can't take that first win away from Fury.
Definitely not looking to take the win away, it was all fair and square. I'm just removing any false hyperbole as, frankly, Fury struggled if anything before evenutally pulling away but at no point 'slapped' Chisora. Brave for taking a dangerous fight but he got lucky that Chisora spent his training camp in Maccy D's. Last weekend's Del was a full 2 stone lighter than that night and looked a totally different animal.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:21 pm

horizontalhero wrote:The only fight he should even think about taking is if he gets offered a Klitchko. He's on the brink of a multi milllion pound payday which I doubt he has the talent to ensure that there are many more of down the track, so to risk it would be stupid unless it's for a title shot.
Even a fight with a Klitschko would be for peanuts compared to the £5M to fight Haye, so that isn't a good option for him either. I actually feel sorry for Fury. He's got a four month layoff where he is likely to be bouncing around. I have said before that I worry about his mental health (genuinely and not with any malice) and would expect that sort of wait to push him into depression.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:29 pm

horizontalhero wrote:The only fight he should even think about taking is if he gets offered a Klitchko. He's on the brink of a multi milllion pound payday which I doubt he has the talent to ensure that there are many more of down the track, so to risk it would be stupid unless it's for a title shot.
Gotta agree with this.  What's the point in taking any risk whatsoever.  All he has to do is make it into the ring on the 8th Feb and he's hit the jackpot.

The only problem Fury has to worry about is Haye's reliability. But even at that if Haye pulls a Haye on the Feb 8th date then Fury just moves on.  I don't see the need for any panic about getting an interim fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Good grief. You guys are making Froch seem calm and measured . Fury schooled chisora. An easy nights work. A fit chisora will lose to a semi fit fury. Simple.

Take off those hate specs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 pm

azania wrote:Good grief.  You guys are making Froch seem calm and measured . Fury schooled chisora. An easy nights work. A fit chisora will lose to a semi fit fury. Simple.

Take off those wum specs.

If you saw a schooling that night you were watching a different fight. Fury struggled early, was almost taken out, and eventually when Chisora was a stationary wheezing tub of blubber he pulled away and dealt with him comortably from then on in

With your revisionist wum glasses we could also say that Broner schooled Paulie, or that JC schooled Hoppo, or maybe Lewis schooled Holy second time out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Fury and Chisora are different fighters now.

Fury doesn't need Chis now though.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 pm

azania wrote:Good grief.  You guys are making Froch seem calm and measured . Fury schooled chisora. An easy nights work. A fit chisora will lose to a semi fit fury. Simple.

I reckon an even half fit Chisora would have the energy to beat Fury, a fully fit one it would be a one sided battering because Chisora is a far better boxer and thinker in the ring.
In the first fight Fury was wobbled every time Chisora found the energy to lift his fat arms he just had nothing left to follow up with, i love the way you think a big tall lump laying and leaning on a shorter out of condition fat lump while landing a handful of ineffective punches more a round is a schooling. The state Delboy came into that ring any even remotely decent Heavy should have stopped him by the halfway mark the bloke was so unfit he could barely manage the walk to his stool at the end of the round.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:30 pm

A half fit chisora lost to a half fit fury. FACT. Fury will spank him in a rematch.

Love how giving fury credit is wumming. He was not almost taken out. As a novice who got clipped he recovered brilliantly and dominated the rest of the fight. He didn't wobble. Just clipped.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Chisora would not beat Fury even now he is in great shape. He got rocked quite a bit on the weekend. Fury is in even better shape now. Another UD for Fury or the Chis getting KTFO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Chis wasn't anywhere near half fit he was an utter disgrace to himself and the sport, i have never seen anyone in the pro game tired after 2 minutes of the first round. Fury was much closer to the shape of his previous fights not in great condition but some level of fitness which is all it took to beat a beached whale.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Steffan wrote:Chisora would not beat Fury even now he is in great shape. He got rocked quite a bit on the weekend. Fury is in even better shape now. Another UD for Fury or the Chis getting KTFO
Fury is not a good enough boxer or puncher to beat a motivated fit Chisora, i dont think he is in the same league. We already know that even in his fat suit Chis was able to wobble Fury several times.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:54 pm

hogey wrote:
Steffan wrote:Chisora would not beat Fury even now he is in great shape. He got rocked quite a bit on the weekend. Fury is in even better shape now. Another UD for Fury or the Chis getting KTFO
Fury is not a good enough boxer or puncher to beat a motivated fit Chisora, i dont think he is in the same league. We already know that even in his fat suit Chis was able to wobble Fury several times.
I'll side with Steffan on this one (I feel dirty). Fury is underrated by almost everyone and vastly overrated by the rest. Fury is still a joke in everyone's mind, which means that people don't take him seriously. He has enough about him to keep winning though and I reckon he would take Chisora in a much better fight than the last abysmal affair.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm

azania wrote:A half fit chisora lost to a half fit fury. FACT. Fury will spank him in a rematch.

Love how giving fury credit is wumming. He was not almost taken out. As a novice who got clipped he recovered brilliantly and dominated the rest of the fight. He didn't wobble.  Just clipped.
Its not wumming to give Fury credit, it is wumming to say he put on a clinic. He was rocked EVERY single time Chisora could muster up energy for an attack, now imagine an in shape Chisora putting pressure on Fury for 36 minutes, he would crack.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

He got rocked by someone who actually can punch. Fury gets planted on her arse by blown up light punching cruisers.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
azania wrote:A half fit chisora lost to a half fit fury. FACT. Fury will spank him in a rematch.

Love how giving fury credit is wumming. He was not almost taken out. As a novice who got clipped he recovered brilliantly and dominated the rest of the fight. He didn't wobble.  Just clipped.
Its not wumming to give Fury credit, it is wumming to say he put on a clinic. He was rocked EVERY single time Chisora could muster up energy for an attack, now imagine an in shape Chisora putting pressure on Fury for 36 minutes, he would crack.
So it's ok to put on a clinic as you say when it's aimed at fury. It is total bolox to say he got rocked EVERY time chis attacked. Laughable really.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 pm

He did, every time Chisora put serious pressure on him (In the early stages and in round 10) he hurt Fury.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:00 pm

hogey wrote:
Yes he is. An unfit fury schooled him. Eady win then and easier win now as fury has improved vastly since then. Chis is still the same plodding fightet.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:02 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:He did, every time Chisora put serious pressure on him (In the early stages and in round 10) he hurt Fury.
Not every time. Stop being an idiot wum. Hardly ever. Chis was British champ. Fury a green novice. Yes he schooled him. Fact.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:06 pm

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:He did, every time Chisora put serious pressure on him (In the early stages and in round 10) he hurt Fury.
Not every time.  Stop being an idiot wum. Hardly ever.  Chis was British champ. Fury a green novice.  Yes he schooled him. Fact.
Hahaha another classic Az inconsitency.

They both came into it with 14-0 records and neither had extensive amateur experience (before you try a RJJ-Hoppo type excuse).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:06 pm

117-112 isn't exactly a schooling... Especially when the winner is rocked 4 seperate times. Its hardly Floyd/Marquez is it?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next