The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 6

+19
superflyweight
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Stella
ChequeredJersey
The Womble
Dolphin Ziggler
The Boss
compelling and rich
Hero
Il Gialloblu
Galted
JuliusHMarx
TopHat24/7
bhb001
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
23 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title.

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 76

Poll closed

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Empty The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 7 Oct 2013 - 11:17

First topic message reminder :

I said it would be Monday morning and, like my milkman, I always deliver.  So here is round 6 of quite possibly the most exciting tournament ever.  Before we move on to round 6 and the poll for 'The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title' lets have a look at what you could have won in round 5.

Round 5 saw the poll for 'Best piece of literature with a name in the title' and threw up some classic works of literature and no small measure of controversy with the 'missing' and 'reappearing' votes scandal throwing the integrity of the whole competition into doubt.  With the mystery still unsolved and the 'missing' votes no closer to being found, I have made the decision to move on, forget the past and continue the competition.  At least I am a man of extremely high integrity and moral fibre so we can proceed safe in the knowledge that the Culture Cup is still on the level.  I have my finest man (Wingrove) on the case to try and find out what happened but until then, lets move forward in peace.

Round 5 was an interesting one with the votes being split across the board resulting in many posters claiming a decent points haul.  Using my complicated results algorithm, you would have only needed to get 1 vote in this round to get 7 points.  Sot its bad luck to Union who received no votes, no points and has subsequently seen his already slim chance of winning almost certainly disappear for good.  What makes it worse it that he had some votes before 'votegate'.  Life can be so cruel.  Hero continues to be Mr Consistent and remains on top of the Christmas tree, just as a fairy should be.  Julius had a stunning reversal in fortune with his pick of Macbeth claiming top spot for this round.  A fair few posters picked up 10 points and at the half way point, the league is still within grasp for a fair few posters.  Here are the runners and riders;

Hero (A Streetcar Named Desire): (10) 46
compelling & rich (Schindler's List): (9): 42
seanmichaels (Oliver Twist): (9) 38
Adam (A Christmas Carol): (10) 37
Azzy (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes): (10) 33
onlytreblewinners (Frankenstein): (10) 32
TopHat (Romeo and Juliet): (10) 32
Galted (The World According to Garp): (7) 30
The Womble (Matilda): (10) 31
Rowley (The Picture of Dorian Grey): (10) 29
superflyweight (The Great Gatsby): (9) 29
Dolphin (Winnie the Pooh): (9) 26
The Boss (Gulliver's Travels): (10) 26
bhb (Hamlet): (7) 25
ChequeredJersey (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn): (8) 24
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Count of Monte Cristo): (8) 23
Julius ( Macbeth): (12) 22
Union (Horace) (0) 19

Round 7 is back to films and the question is this: Name the greatest film actor or actress born in the same year as you Best film originally released in the decade of your birth.  You can, of course, lie if you want to but I doubt any of you are that precious.  I will leave it up to your conscience but please PM a couple of choices.

Here is the poll for round 6 and remember, it is open for the whole forum to vote!

PLEASE ONLY VOTE FOR 2 NOMINATIONS
 I don't think it will survive another voting scandal.

PLEASE SEE EDITED QUESTION FOR THE NEXT ROUND

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Mon 7 Oct 2013 - 17:01; edited 2 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 10 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 6

Post by seanmichaels Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 8:33

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:There was a programme on last night about the Congo.  Had Dan Snow racing down some river talking about the Portuguese and how they were the first Westerners to arrive on the countries small Atlantic coastline.

That's all I can remember, it was quite late and I was in and out of sleep.  No mention of Wingrove.
I started a serious post about this then opted for an Um Bongo gag instead.

It was actually shown the night before. If ever a people were destined for generations of suffering it is them. Poorest nation despite being one of the most mineral rich spots on the planet. Something like 5 million have died in the last decade. Kids walking around with RPG's and Kalashnikov's hung over their shoulders. Terrible really.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 8:34

He's had to postpone it, he thought he could use his travelcard and didn't realise you can't get there direct from Rochester. His mum said he can invade Birchington-on-Sea for a bit instead if he does most of his chores.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 10:57

This was a good thread. Now it will fade and die.

Shame.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 10:59

I've made some progress in the creaking Hi-Tec mystery.  I'm fairly certain that I've identified which one does the creaking (the "creaker", as I call it) as the sound is dramatically reduced when I point my left foot inward towards the instep of my right foot.  It's not the solution, however, as doing this causes discomfort to the lower part of my left leg and makes falling down the stairs more likely.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:03

Galted wrote:I've made some progress in the creaking Hi-Tec mystery.  I'm fairly certain that I've identified which one does the creaking (the "creaker", as I call it) as the sound is dramatically reduced when I point my left foot inward towards the instep of my right foot.  It's not the solution, however, as doing this causes discomfort to the lower part of my left leg and makes falling down the stairs more likely.
Thinking about it, maybe it should it just fade away.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:16

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Thanks, Tino. Words can be very hurtful.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:18

Galted wrote:
Thanks, Tino.  Words can be very hurtful.
Sorry, I woke up this morning determined to be a nicer person as well.

Have you tried putting some sort of innersole in the left shoe? Perhaps that would help?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:20

Galted wrote:
Thanks, Tino.  Words can be very hurtful.
Sorry, I woke up this morning determined to be a nicer person as well.  

Have you tried putting some sort of innersole in the left shoe?  Perhaps that would help?
Cheers, will give that a go. So far I've just tried painkillers and alcohol which work intermittently.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:21

This may be too radical for you, but have you explored other makes of trainer?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:31

They are not trainers, they are boots. And, no, I haven't.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:36

Galted wrote:They are not trainers, they are boots.  And, no, I haven't.
Difficult to judge tone over the internet but I picture you saying that quite aggressively. If that is the case, then stuff you. I was only trying to help.

If you were, in fact, just stating the facts, then I apologise for the above comment and thanks for your response.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 11:50

I meant it in the exact tone that precedes a slamming door and squealing tyres.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 12:53

Now I've got a bit, white mark on the right one. This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:01

Don't really know where to post this, but following the invasion of killer Asian hornets, we now have this;

Spoiler:

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:07

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Don't really know where to post this, but following the invasion of killer Asian hornets, we now have this;

Spoiler:
I get really p1ssed off with the Daily Mail and their continued inability to differentiate between the following:
poisonous and venomous
wildebeest and buffalo

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:14

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Don't really know where to post this, but following the invasion of killer Asian hornets, we now have this;

Spoiler:
I get really p1ssed off with the Daily Mail and their continued inability to differentiate between the following:
poisonous and venomous
wildebeest and buffalo
Truth and fiction.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:16

Galted wrote:

Spoiler:
poisonous and venomous
wildebeest and buffalo
Truth and fiction.
Laugh 

Kim Kardashian and news story

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:19

Criminals and immigrants

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:36

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Criminals and immigrants
Bad example as they're not mutually exclusive anyway raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:50

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Might have known you would stick your neck in somewhere.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 13:55

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Might have known you would stick your neck in somewhere.
Wouldn't want to disappoint......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 7:30

Got to hand it to this thread for refusing to die.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 7:56

Galted wrote:Got to hand it to this thread for refusing to die.
I feel the same about it as I do for my children. Apart from the 'willy' thread, it is my proudest moment.

Any Hi-Tec issues/improvements? I miss those entertaining nuggets of knowledge.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:05

Galted wrote:Got to hand it to this thread for refusing to die.
I feel the same about it as I do for my children.  Apart from the 'willy' thread, it is my proudest moment.

Any Hi-Tec issues/improvements?  I miss those entertaining nuggets of knowledge.
Funny you should ask.  Wore my new(ish) Hi-Tecs and the Texapore coat as a combination on Sunday for the first time.  Wore thick hiking socks which filled out the Hi-Tecs and made walking briskly quite a rewarding experience.  Was a bit angry as the coat pockets aren't the right dimensions to comfortably carry two dvds in their cases but it does make a pleasant rustling sound when being removed in the cinema.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:13

Texapore? That's a new one on me.

Do you mean 2 DVD's in the same pocket or one in each? Important distinction. What DVD's were they and what film did you watch?

I also went to the cinema over the weekend to see a cartoon about snails. It was sh*t. If you want a more in depth review then do head on over to the film section.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:26

Don't worry about the film question. Just read your review in the film section. Glad it made an impression on the GSoE. Turbo is still sh*t.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:29

Same pocket, I prefer to keep one pocket for frequently needed items such as wallet and eye-drops and the other for longer term storage, there is a third, ipod-sized pocket on the front.  I use this pocket for my ipod.  The dvds were In The Mood For Love and the first disk of the Studio Ghibli collection.  I suppose that the pockets aren't dvd-friendly as they're intended for keeping things like compasses and matches or a small bag of Jolly Jammers.  The film was Vi är bäst! - have also reviewed it more extensively in the film section.  I read your review, was very impressive even if the film wasn't - I'll probably wait for Turbo to be released on blu-ray and give it a miss.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:30

Texapore is made by Jack Wolfskin.
Not to be confused with the condoms made by Jack Foreskin.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:30

I saw that you'd read about it in the film section but decided to mention the film anyway, I'm really getting a kick out of copying and pasting "Vi är bäst!".

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:32

JuliusHMarx wrote:Texapore is made by Jack Wolfskin.
Not to be confused with the condoms made by Jack Foreskin.
Correct, my particular Jack Wolfskin is a 3-in-1, which sounds just like the kind of thing you'd use a Jack Foreskin for.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 10:40

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:Surprised no-one nominated I Fell in Love With a Female Plumber from Harlesden NW10 by Splodgenessabounds.
Was between that and f____in hell, it's Fred Titmuss by half man half biscuit for me.
Just stumbled upon an album called It Just Gets Worse by An*l C*nt, the song titles are something else (they make the band's name seem quite inoffensive).
Good grief.  How do you 'stumble' across that without first typing an*l or c*nt into google?

By typing an*l and c*nt into google and discovering there's a band by that name.
This was my personal favourite post from round 6. This was 10 pages ago.

Remarkable.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 10:51

It was a marvellous post. I particularly like the usage of "good grief", could've perhaps done with an exclamation mark.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 10:58

I thought about it, but I think it is a greatly overused punctuation tool so I went with the old fashioned full-stop. People treat full-stops like they are a ginger step-child these days.

It particularly annoys me when people put more than one exclamation mark. There is no need, just put one and let other people decide how exclaimed they want to be.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:05

I agree that they're overused (especially in texting - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really gets my goat!) but a single exclamation mark can still be used to great effect, the Swedish film Vi är bäst! is an excellent example of this.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:06

Have you ever used an interrobang‽

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:11

My wife texted LOL to me once. I told her I would leave her if she did it again and I genuinely meant it. Cretinous.

I have never used an interrobang. I hadn't actually heard of it until now but having read the Wiki page that says;

A sentence ending with an interrobang asks a question in an excited manner

I am going to use it more often. I might use when I next email my boss for a pay rise or when I ask the Ukrainian girl that works here if I can see her muff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:12

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:It particularly annoys me when people put more than one exclamation mark.
I didn't know that!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:27

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:My wife texted LOL to me once.  I told her I would leave her if she did it again and I genuinely meant it.  Cretinous.

I have never used an interrobang.  I hadn't actually heard of it until now but having read the Wiki page that says;

A sentence ending with an interrobang asks a question in an excited manner

I am going to use it more often.  I might use when I next email my boss for a pay rise or when I ask the Ukrainian girl that works here if I can see her muff.

The bits in bold are worthy of an lol with some exclamation marks.

A muff in Ukrainian is a піхву. ласка, чи можу я бачити ваше піхву is how you'd ask according to google translate, pronounced laska, chy mozhu ya bachyty vashe pikhvu. Come to think of it, she probably speaks English if she's working here.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:31

She does speak English, but knowing the Ukrainian way to ask is invaluable knowledge.

I will try in English first, using the aforementioned interrobang, and if that doesn't work, I will repeat the question in her native language to see it helps.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:41

Go with 'mimsy' first.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:42

I can see the headline already - Elderly Ukrainian Woman Sexually Harrassed By Northern Pervert.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:45

Strangely enough, she is younger than me. She sounds like a bond villain though so it more than makes up for her lack of years.

Ah, mimsy.  I will forever love superfly for adding that to my vocabulary.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:51

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Strangely enough, she is younger than me.  She sounds like a bond villain though so it more than makes up for her lack of years.  

Which one? Blofeld?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 12:28

Laugh 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 7:41

Can you believe that Round 6 is still getting posts 9 days after it started?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 7:47

It is amazing really. Just shows the quality of the thread.

There is also a quite funny thread in the Travel section.

Some poor chap wants some information about Reykjavik. There are 50 odd replies and about 3 vaguely relevant ones.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 7:57

He sounds like a right basket case, probably furiously knocking one out at the moment. If I was on such a thread I'd give misleading information and hope that it ruined his holiday.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 8:06

I have actually been very helpful. I've given him a few contacts out there. Damon Albarn and David James being two of them.

Up to him if he decides to contact them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 8:20

I often contact David James for travel advice, mainly regarding visas and airport shuttle services.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 8:26

He has a luxurious head of hair. I wonder if the crisp Icelandic air helps.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next