The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 7

+21
Y I Man
Hero
The Boss
guildfordbat
kwinigolfer
Mad for Chelsea
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
The Womble
Roller_Coaster
ChequeredJersey
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Galted
Adam D
Trebs
seanmichaels
JuliusHMarx
Shot 21 LCFC
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Best film released in the decade of your birth.

The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 9 ]
[ 8 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 77

The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Empty The Culture Cup round 7

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Two rounds of the Culture Cup in one week.  I don't usually do anything twice a week so count yourself lucky.  Round 7 brings the poll for 'Best film released in the decade of your birth'.  Before we move on to that, lets round up the results from round 6 and 'Best song with 3 or more words in the title'.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Galted walked away from this round with full points having gone for the shamelessly populist Joy Division pick.  Interestingly, the name Joy Division comes from a sinister background.  Nazi officers used the term to describe young Jewish girls imprisoned at Auschwitz who were forced into the camp brothel and told to 'smile' and 'look happy' by the German officers who subsequently christened them the 'Joy Division'.  I think if you extrapolate it out in a fair and transparent fashion, Galted is probably a Nazi.  Anyway, we digress.  Our two fronts runners, compelling & rich and Hero both picked up 10 points, keeping them just clear at the top of the table.  Decent points hauls for seanmichaels, Adam, Azzy and TopHat keep them in the running.  How TopHat got any points with Bryan Adams, I will never know.

Jeff and superfly keep up their battle for supremacy over each other, with both picking up 7 points and remaining neck and neck in the league.  It says a lot about that pair that they are rooted in mid-table whilst battling each other.  Some people are just destined for mediocrity.  The biggest loser this week was jbeadlesbigrighthand who finished with no votes after the second batch of vote rigging from some lone moron.  If beadle had just kept his one vote, he would have had 3 points and be level with Union.  As it is, he is rock bottom.

Hero (Sitting on the Dock of the Bay): (10) 56
compelling & rich (Don't Look Back in Anger): (10) 52
seanmichaels (The Tracks of my Tears): (7) 45
Adam (A Whiter Shade of Pale): (7) 44
Galted (Love will Tear us Apart): (12) 42
Azzy (Sweet Child of Mine): (7) 40
TopHat (Everything I do): (7) 40
The Womble (There is a light that never goes out): (6) 37
onlytreblewinners (Everytime we Touch): (4) 36
Rowley (I Am the Resurrection): (7) 36
superflyweight (Sympathy for the Devil): (7) 36
bhb (Like a Rolling Stone): (10) 35
Dolphin (You and Me song): (5) 31
The Boss (Ain't no Mountain High Enough): (4) 30
Julius (Bridge over Troubled Water): (8) 30
ChequeredJersey (Hit the Road, Jack): (3) 27
Union (Field of Dreams): (7) 26
jbeadlesbigrighthand: (0) 23

The next round is back to TV and this time I am looking for 'The best ever documentary'. Wide open choice and assuming everyone has seen a documentary, it should be a even field.  If you haven't ever seen a documentary, I suggest you just google a few and then lie. As ever, please PM a couple of choices.

After the second installment of 'votegate' I have had to make some changes this round.  You will only be able to vote for one film and won't be allowed to cancel it either so choose carefully and get it right first time.  It will reduce the volume of votes but will stop them disappearing randomly.  You can all thank the feckless little cretin who messed around for the last 2 rounds for the changes.  Hopefully his mum will catch him with his sticky little fingers on the family PC and tell him off.

To avoid any confusion (Union) you can vote for any film, it doesn't have to be from your decade, that was only for the participants.

Remember the poll is open for the whole forum to vote!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 7

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

Is reassuring to know Supergirl is as good a film as Chinatown.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:04 am

Rowley wrote:Is reassuring to know Supergirl is as good a film as Chinatown.
Have you been demoted? Have they finally seen through the charade?

Are they looking for another Administrator? Where do I send my CV?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:28 am

Can you send your CV to trash@industrialwaste.com

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

That's quite hurtful, Adam.

Hope you're pleased with yourself.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:33 am

Let me send you a Rocky DVD as an apology.

Whats that? Someone already has sent you it?

Never mind then.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:36 am

Laugh 

I'll give you that one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:36 am

Vi är bäst!

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:38 am

Goon.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:40 am

The previous one was a control-C, this next one is a right-click & paste...

Vi är bäst!

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:42 am

The first one I just typed out, this next one is a right click & paste...

Goon

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:43 am

I would type out "Vi är bäst!" but I don't know how to do one of those ä's.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

When can we expeck round 8?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:02 am

seanmichaels wrote:When can we expeck round 8?
I am following the usual format of waiting for all the nominations before I start it. Call me a revolutionary if you like.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:08 am

I think that you should set a deadline - if people miss it, then its their problem. Especially if its the competition leader, Hero.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:10 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:When can we expeck round 8?
I am following the usual format of waiting for all the nominations before I start it.  Call me a revolutionary if you like.
Can you remind them that I do a job that I hate?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:11 am

Adam D wrote:I think that you should set a deadline - if people miss it, then its their problem. Especially if its the competition leader, Hero.
Well lets just be grateful that were not all as tyrannical as you. If you let me an administrator, I will set the poll up now.

I have PM'd the remaining slacker so I at least have to give him a chance to respond.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:21 am

Adam D wrote:I think that you should set a deadline - if people miss it, then its their problem. Especially if its the competition leader, Hero.
Well lets just be grateful that were not all as tyrannical as you.  If you let me an administrator, I will set the poll up now.

I have PM'd the remaining slacker so I at least have to give him a chance to respond.
You could dock points off slackers, or give them choices that suggest that they're sexual deviants.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:24 am

Galted wrote:
You could dock points off slackers, or give them choices that suggest that they're sexual deviants.
Is that why your first pick for the last round was a snuff film?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:25 am

Galted wrote:
Well lets just be grateful that were not all as tyrannical as you.  If you let me an administrator, I will set the poll up now.

Not sure if Jim'll Fix It qualifies for the next round and I bet someone has already gone for Rolf's Animal Hospital.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:26 am

I thought that was the final round? Surely no-one can claim to be cultured if they don't have at least one sexual vice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

Galted wrote:
Is that why your first pick for the last round was a snuff film?
Misread the topic and thought it was supposed to be a home video.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:34 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:

Not sure if Jim'll Fix It qualifies for the next round and I bet someone has already gone for Rolf's Animal Hospital.
Are you still happy with Katie and Peter as your pick?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:46 am

Geordie Shore, TOWIE, Made in Chelsea or The Valleys, such a tough choice!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

Don't mean to tell you how to do your job, Tino, except I do really, but surely you can veto shoddy choices and blatant vote-rigging (not going to mention names eg Die Hard)?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:

Are you still happy with Katie and Peter as your pick?
bog off

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:00 am

Galted wrote:Don't mean to tell you how to do your job, Tino, except I do really, but surely you can veto shoddy choices and blatant vote-rigging (not going to mention names eg Die Hard)?
How is Die Hard vote-rigging?

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:03 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Galted wrote:Don't mean to tell you how to do your job, Tino, except I do really, but surely you can veto shoddy choices and blatant vote-rigging (not going to mention names eg Die Hard)?
How is Die Hard vote-rigging?
Its rise from mediocrity is on par with Lance Armstrong's feats.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:08 am

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I refer you to Exhibit A:

https://www.606v2.com/t43190-best-film-from-the-80s-round-4-of-the-movie-cup

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

That was just a shameless lack of taste. Calling this one the "Culture Cup" should've got rid of the yob element.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

Die Hard is engrained in popular culture. So ingrained, they've made five of the buggers The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

Well I could veto choices, but I don't really agree with arbitrary censorship so don't really want to.

Plus, I don't think any vote rigging is possible now I have removed multiple choices. Die Hard is just a gash film that has risen way above its station. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now stop trying to tell me how to do my job. I get enough of that from Adam.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

Err, how is Die Hard gash? It has guns, explosions, token FBI, Alan Rickman, and the immortal line "Hans, b00bie, I'm your white knight".

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

The airport one was the best. It all became a bit too yipikayeeh after that.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:18 am

Well I could veto choices, but I don't really agree with arbitrary censorship so don't really want to.

Plus, I don't think any vote rigging is possible now I have removed multiple choices.  Die Hard is just a gash film that has risen way above its station.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Now stop trying to tell me how to do my job. I get enough of that from Adam.
It wouldn't really be arbitrary censorship, more like an abuse of power. And vote-rigging is possible via the medium of pm'ing people - hasn't worked for me thus far but I think that it's because I don't have any friends.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

Galted wrote:That was just a shameless lack of taste.  Calling this one the "Culture Cup" should've got rid of the yob element.
And yet the overall standings tell us otherwise...

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

Galted wrote:Calling this one the "Culture Cup" should've got rid of the yob element.
I have actually being doing some thinking about this and I think Culture Cup is a bit of a misnomer. It's just a mis-mash of the other cups with a literature round thrown in. Not really that cultured at all.

There will, however, be a double points bonus round at the end which will be pure culture and will seperate the men from the boys.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

Nah Die Hard With A Vengeance is by far the best Die Hard film. It has Samuel L Jackson and Jeremy Irons in it, plus a nice game of Simon Says.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

Plus "As I was going to St Ives", what a great film that was.

See, Die Hard is ace The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:23 am

Now the whole damn thread is turning into a Die Hard appreciation forum. Bring back round 6!

Vi är bäst!

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Err, how is Die Hard gash? It has guns, explosions, token FBI, Alan Rickman, and the immortal line "Hans, b00bie, I'm your white knight".
I don't like guns, am rather wary of explosions, the FBI took too way to long to catch Buffalo Bill and Alan Rickman made me do things I was uncomfortable with many years ago.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

My mum has kissed Alan Rickman. Under mistletoe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:29 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Don't take him on, Azzy, this is one battle you won't win.

I prefer the £2 coin myself.  I like the two-tone aspect of it.
I noticed they are very reminiscent of a euro the other day. Interesting in that that aspect of the £2 coin has passed me by all these years.
I was in Canada briefly in September and had one of those new polymer notes that are coming out over here.  Weird things they are.  They feel like they should be in a Monopoly set or something.  When I handed it over in a shop, I started to sweat and got all anxious that the lady was going to call it a fake.
At the risk of going a bit sensible and ignoring the Die Hard > than La Triviata debate.

The Isle of Man used plastic pound notes about 30 years ago. Ironically the quality and extra durability of the notes meant they didn't need replacing anywhere near as frequently and so the company that made them went bust.

Bizarre coincidence, when I goooooogled it to see when they were around I found that they are actually scheduled to be de-monetised at the end of this month.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/plastic-pound-notes-to-stop-being-legal-tender-1-5910322

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

That is some story. I bet there's someone out there with thousands of them, just waiting for them to come out of circulation before putting them on ebay.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:39 am

Why would they do that? Surely you wouldn't pay a tenner for a plastic tenner that holds no value other than the memory of a company with a floored business plan?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

seanmichaels wrote:Why would they do that? Surely you wouldn't pay a tenner for a plastic tenner that holds no value other than the memory of a company with a floored business plan?
No wonder they went bust. Were they doing laminate with plastic currency?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

I don't know I'm lost.

I did like the plastic money in australia. I also liked the pubs with cashpoints (novelty at the time) and a bookies. Way ahead of us, the aussies.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Die Hard is engrained in popular culture. So ingrained, they've made five of the buggers The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 3559488474
Not quite as good as Police Academy then

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

I asked this question on the quiz thread - who played John McClane before Bruce Willis (the character had a different name, but the film was based on the same books as Die Hard, so it was the same character)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:Die Hard is engrained in popular culture. So ingrained, they've made five of the buggers The Culture Cup round 7 - Page 3 3559488474
or fast and furious??!!!!!! (extra punctuation just for you tino)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

compelling and rich wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
or fast and furious??!!!!!! (extra punctuation just for you tino)
mad 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next