The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1958

+8
Steffan
mystiroakey
Stella
MIG
CFCNick
Duty281
Jimmy Moz
JamesLincs
12 posters

Go down

1958 Empty 1958

Post by JamesLincs Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:43 pm

People born in the year of 1958

Jools Holland
Kate Bush
Simon Le Bon

you only have to look at Madonna, who was born in that year, to realise just how long ago this year was

Elvis Pressley had a number one hit in 1958 with jailhouse rock

1958 was also the last time Wales appeared at a football world cup

Did the wheel come before or after this date, does anyone know?

JamesLincs

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 35
Location : Lincoln

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

What is the point in this thread?

Jimmy Moz

Posts : 453
Join date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Duty281 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:13 pm

Let's all laugh at inferior Wales, I think.

Bless them, they're so cute.

Duty281

Posts : 29088
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 27
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:22 pm

JamesLincs wrote:Did the wheel come before or after this date, does anyone know?
No I think the wheel came out in 1966. Which was the last time England ever got to a world cup final funnily enough despite having a massive pool of players and one of the most richest football leagues in the world. As an Irishman I don't even care about Welsh football even though my ma is Welsh I'm a Rebublic of Ireland man. If laughing at Wales who prefere to play rugby anyway makes you feel better about England's constant underachievement over the last 50 plus year though then carry on. As stated previousy, I'm still not entirely sure what the point in this article is.

Jimmy Moz

Posts : 453
Join date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by CFCNick Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

At least we've won the bloody thing. Holland haven't.

CFCNick

Posts : 4180
Join date : 2011-04-04
Age : 32
Location : Bedford, England

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by JamesLincs Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:34 pm

"were reeling them in"

what, now nobody can take a bit of a joke. ill take constantly underachieving at world cups over never qualifying at all, thanks Smile

JamesLincs

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 35
Location : Lincoln

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

To be fair most England fans complain about the other home nations cheering against them but I actually remember being in a bar on holidays in Ibiza during USA 1994 watching the Republic of Ireland. Most of the English contingency were cheering against us due to the bitterness that we had qualified that year and they hadn't. Towards the end of the game a few of the rather drunken Englishmen started singing songs in regards to a certain army that exists in Ireland so I remember me, my father and my sister making a quick exit after the game.

Jimmy Moz

Posts : 453
Join date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by MIG Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

I seem to remember most English fans cheering ROI on during that tournament.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Stella Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

MIG wrote:I seem to remember most English fans cheering ROI on during that tournament.
I did. Charlton and Aldridge's rant was funny as.............
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by JamesLincs Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

i personally dont have anything at all against wales. i actually have a little welsh blood in my veins. it was just a poke at steffan. the only nation i wont support at tournaments is the scots

JamesLincs

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 35
Location : Lincoln

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:51 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:To be fair most England fans complain about the other home nations cheering against them but I actually remember being in a bar on holidays in Ibiza during USA 1994 watching the Republic of Ireland. Most of the English contingency were cheering against us due to the bitterness that we had qualified that year and they hadn't. Towards the end of the game a few of the rather drunken Englishmen started singing songs in regards to a certain army that exists in Ireland so I remember me, my father and my sister making a quick exit after the game.
thats strange- because i was cheering you on with mates that have irish links(there are so many irish in this country and we all know the odd one- surely!!)

I doubt your experience was replicated everywhere(certainly not from my experiences)

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

I know it was just a poke at Steffan in response to his post. To be fair I thought the poll about England blaming people was quite funny mind as even your ardent England fan has to admit that there is usually some mass blame aimed at someone when it all goes wrong. This forum is all tongue in cheek though and a good crack. How come you wouldn't support Scotland?

Jimmy Moz

Posts : 453
Join date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

the scots are the worst offenders against england- so its a tough one for many fans dude.

I dont support them in football(i dont support against though)

I am happy to support them in rugby and stuff though!

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm

Been a long time since we have qualified. The way the FAW are going it will be another 50 years before we qualify again. We just missed out on USA 94. That was gutting. Will have to make do with supporting England opponents at world cups until then I think. Either that or just stick to rugby

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:50 pm

You have two world class players and a few decent ones at palace..

It's not all doom and gloom

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:59 pm

mystiroakey wrote:You have two world class players and a few decent ones at palace..

It's not all doom and gloom
The FAW will never employ anyone good enough to manage the team to its full potential. And because Mark Hughes did an ok at the job and we nearly qualified for Euro 2004 they can now employ people with no experience and say 'Well Hughes did ok' even though in all honesty a better manager with more experience would have got us through with the players we had back then

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Oct 2013, 8:17 pm

For some reason you seem to produce the odd massive star without having a big pool of players playing the game. No disrespect to scotland but they play it much more than you but they never get the same world class players you do. Infact per capita you probably get more word class players than england.

Maybe your genetics suits this game!!

If it wasn't for rugby being your no.1 sport you might actually be a decent footballing team- there are many out there with small populations.

Sorry for bigging wales up, it must make you feel uneasy!

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:If it wasn't for rugby being your no.1 sport you might actually be a decent footballing team- there are many out there with small populations.

Sorry for bigging wales up, it must make you feel uneasy!
Thanks for bigging us up it makes a change to the usual idiots on here trying to get a rise out of me (and failing)

The success of Cardiff and Swansea may help us in future. Bigger and better academies are the way forward

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Champagne_Socialist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:37 am

Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:If it wasn't for rugby being your no.1 sport you might actually be a decent footballing team- there are many out there with small populations.

Sorry for bigging wales up, it must make you feel uneasy!
Thanks for bigging us up it makes a change to the usual idiots on here trying to get a rise out of me (and failing)

The success of Cardiff and Swansea may help us in future.
Bigger and better academies are the way forward
Is this the Swansea team who have 3 Welsh players in their first team? Or Cardiff City who have 2 welsh players in their first team one of which being the now retired Craig Bellamy?


Champagne_Socialist

Posts : 4961
Join date : 2012-10-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:51 am

More kids could take up the game as a direct result of having those teams in top flight doing ok..

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Stella Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:53 am

Going back to no 1 sports. Rugby isn't ours but we did win the world cup. Comes down to infrastructure, and a bit of luck.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:56 am

infrastructure along with passion, money, population playing , luck, genetics, competition!

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:04 am

Trainspotting popped into my mind and Renton's rant off the in the highlands...

"Some hate the English. I don't. They're just Meat trombone soloist. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by Meat trombone soloist. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a Poopie state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any Frak difference!"

Only slightly relevant but still makes me chuckle

Roller_Coaster

Posts : 2572
Join date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by westisbest Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

I'd love to see Wales, Scotland, ROI/NI in a european championship/world cup together.

Euro 2016 is the one, especially with more teams competing.

Ireland now looking for a new manager, will be interseting who we appoint.
Glad Reid is back, but at 31 does'nt have many years left.

When he gets his act together Ireland is a decent player.
I would welcome him back, although alot would'nt.

westisbest

Posts : 7816
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:30 am

Aye, 

Me too.

These Isles would be buzzing!

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

Pretty much all sport in Wales in run badly. We actually have a a few decent players knocking about, just absolutely no depth and an awful excuse for a manager. If we managed to keep our entire first team fit for a qualifying campaign we shouldn't be finishing outside the top 3 of a group, certainly if it is one like this one.

But we've only started to get rugby right with the regional set-up and finally tapping into the North Wales population for players, so I don't hold out much hope on the FAW using Cardiff and Swansea's success to improve facilities and inspire a generation of youngsters.

For me, I can't speak for all Welshmen, I would always prefer to have a strong rugby side than a strong football side. Both would be preferable, but if I had to pick then it isn't even close!

JDizzle

Posts : 6673
Join date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:54 pm

Champagne_Socialist wrote:
Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:If it wasn't for rugby being your no.1 sport you might actually be a decent footballing team- there are many out there with small populations.

Sorry for bigging wales up, it must make you feel uneasy!
Thanks for bigging us up it makes a change to the usual idiots on here trying to get a rise out of me (and failing)

The success of Cardiff and Swansea may help us in future.
Bigger and better academies are the way forward
Is this the Swansea team who have 3 Welsh players in their first team? Or Cardiff City who have 2 welsh players in their first team one of which being the now retired Craig Bellamy?
Yeah sorry...I forgot that top flight English teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelski and Liverpool first teams have been dominated by English players over the last 10 years. Silly me...

Go back to your 'Welsh football would benefit from Cardiff and Swansea from joining the Welsh league' argument. Even something as stupid as that makes this one seem credible

I like how you ignored the 'academies' bit though...

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

the fact is just the knock on with more fans will aid welsh football

mystiroakey

Posts : 32472
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 45
Location : surrey

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Champagne_Socialist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

Steffan wrote:
Champagne_Socialist wrote:
Steffan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:If it wasn't for rugby being your no.1 sport you might actually be a decent footballing team- there are many out there with small populations.

Sorry for bigging wales up, it must make you feel uneasy!
Thanks for bigging us up it makes a change to the usual idiots on here trying to get a rise out of me (and failing)

The success of Cardiff and Swansea may help us in future.
Bigger and better academies are the way forward
Is this the Swansea team who have 3 Welsh players in their first team? Or Cardiff City who have 2 welsh players in their first team one of which being the now retired Craig Bellamy?
Yeah sorry...I forgot that top flight English teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelski and Liverpool first teams have been dominated by English players over the last 10 years. Silly me...

Go back to your 'Welsh football would benefit from Cardiff and Swansea from joining the Welsh league' argument. Even something as stupid as that makes this one seem credible

I like how you ignored the 'academies' bit though...
You just highlighted why Swanswa and Cardiff will not suddenly be filled with young Welsh talent. Success demands success and just staying in the EPL is so important financially that clubs will do anything to stay there and that means overlooking home grown talent in order to sign better foreign talents.

Champagne_Socialist

Posts : 4961
Join date : 2012-10-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

Champagne_Socialist wrote:You just highlighted why Swanswa and Cardiff will not suddenly be filled with young Welsh talent. Success demands success and just staying in the EPL is so important financially that clubs will do anything to stay there and that means overlooking home grown talent in order to sign better foreign talents.
I dont think Cardiff and Swansea will suddenly be full of homegrown talent. But the longer they stay in the Premiership (wherever the players are from) the more money they will have with much of it going into the academies and with more kids watching and playing football now in south Wales the more chance there is of creating a better pool of talent which will help the national team

Success is not guaranteed and knowing us we will probably still never qualify but Cardiff and Swansea being in the top flight is a step in the right direction

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Champagne_Socialist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

Steffan wrote:
Champagne_Socialist wrote:You just highlighted why Swanswa and Cardiff will not suddenly be filled with young Welsh talent. Success demands success and just staying in the EPL is so important financially that clubs will do anything to stay there and that means overlooking home grown talent in order to sign better foreign talents.
I dont think Cardiff and Swansea will suddenly be full of homegrown talent. But the longer they stay in the Premiership (wherever the players are from) the more money they will have with much of it going into the academies and with more kids watching and playing football now in south Wales the more chance there is of creating a better pool of talent which will help the national team

Success is not guaranteed and knowing us we will probably still never qualify but Cardiff and Swansea being in the top flight is a step in the right direction
I don't get why Wales performs so poorly on the international stage. You have the most expensive player in the world in Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey who is an ever present for Arsenal for the last 5 years, Craig Bellamy who has played at the top level for 10 years along with other players such as Ashley williiams captain of Swansea), joe ledley  (plays for celtic) Joe Allen who plays for liverpool etc.

Teams like Greece and iceland, Bosnia and Norway etc have all qualified or finished runners up and in the play offs in recent years and their teams have far less top level players than Wales. Something is seriously wrong with Wales when they finish 2nd bottom in their group with the talent they have on display.

Champagne_Socialist

Posts : 4961
Join date : 2012-10-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Steffan Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Champagne_Socialist wrote:I don't get why Wales performs so poorly on the international stage. You have the most expensive player in the world in Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey who is an ever present for Arsenal for the last 5 years, Craig Bellamy who has played at the top level for 10 years along with other players such as Ashley williiams captain of Swansea), joe ledley  (plays for celtic) Joe Allen who plays for liverpool etc.

Teams like Greece and iceland, Bosnia and Norway etc have all qualified or finished runners up and in the play offs in recent years and their teams have far less top level players than Wales. Something is seriously wrong with Wales when they finish 2nd bottom in their group with the talent they have on display.
We need a good manager basically and all the top players fit

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

1958 Empty Re: 1958

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum