The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie McDonnell Stripped of Title.

+12
Hammersmith harrier
rob-glos
ShahenshahG
Strongback
Nico the gman
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
Rowley
milkyboy
sparxz
mobilemaster8
hampo17
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jamie McDonnell Stripped of Title. Empty Jamie McDonnell Stripped of Title.

Post by hampo17 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:06 am

According to the IBF Jamie McDonnell has been stripped of his world bantamweight title he won in May against Mexican Julio Ceja. The organisation claims a failure to agree a defence against mandatory challenger Vusi Malinga within a required time is the reason they are taking the title off the champion..

In a statement to the Star and the Doncaster Free Press, an IBF spokesperson said: “Jamie McDonnell did not supply signed contracts for his mandatory defence scheduled for November 9 within the prescribed time according to IBF rule.

“By not doing so his title was declared vacant.”

The IBF also confirmed an appeal against the decision had been lodged by Matchroom Boxing head Eddie Hearn.

McDonnell. 27. has no official relationship with Hearn but it has been speculated that he would sign with him and Matchroom after last week declaring his intent to leave previous manager Dennis Hobson, although in a statement from the Sheffield-based promoter who masterminded McDonnell’s world title shot. Hobson has also disputed McDonnell leaving him and has lodged a complaint with the British Boxing Board of Control who will hold a hearing to decide whether their contract can be cancelled.

Statement from Dennis Hobson Promotions:

“We understand that the IBF have vacated Jamie McDonnell’s title as Bantamweight Champion because he failed to comply with a Resolution of the IBF Board of Directors. It is sad that Jamie McDonnell has been stripped of his World Title, especially when, in partnership with Dennis Hobson Promotions, he was able to achieve his boxing ambitions and become world champion at the Keepmoat Stadium in Doncaster on 11 May 2013. It was a fabulous night for Jamie, for his team, and for British boxing, and we were particularly pleased when Jamie was gracious enough to say that he would not have become world champion without the team at Dennis Hobson Promotions.

“Unfortunately, in recent weeks Jamie has allowed third parties to influence him, to advise him and to make representations on his behalf – without any reference to us. This is in clear contravention of the contractual relationship he has with Dennis Hobson Promotions. The consequences of such unauthorized influence, advice and representations by these third parties have obviously, with today’s news, been catastrophic for Jamie.”

What a shame Jamie McDonnell’s business has come to this, after a great effort in becoming world champion, on an unforgettable night in his home of Doncaster, he now finds himself without the title he worked so hard to obtain and now faces a contractual row with his promoter that looks like getting messy.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jamie McDonnell Stripped of Title. Empty Re: Jamie McDonnell Stripped of Title.

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:50 am

Maybe they stripped him because two no names of the division fought for a title. Not sure.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:14 am

1 rule for some, different rules for others,

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 19 Oct 2013, 9:05 am

It's pretty poor... Particularly when the mandatory himself fights once a year and has done nothing to get a shot except get battered in his previous world title challenges.

Does make you wonder, though. The mandatory was very beatable... Why didnt they just take it and fill up their local leisure centre.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 9:32 am

Absolutely disgraceful by the IBF. Is obvious to everyone that McDonell is having issues with Hobson and is trying to free himself from that contract. Given this surely a little leeway could be given. I know it is a different sanctioning body but how long as it been since Vitali last fought? When is his next fight scheduled for?

Absolute BS and a shameful way to treat a good honest pro who did things the right way, earned his shot by fighting eliminators and then won it in the ring.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

This seems mighty unfair if you ask me.

IIRC, Lamont Peterson, has only defended his super lightweight title once in nearly two years...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:26 am

So cheats don't get stripped or have to actually defend the title. Good system

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

Petersen was suspended..............

I'm glad he's been stripped If I'm honest.............This Hobson guy did a fine job apparently to get him a world title and now he's obviously been doing a lousy one now Hearn is on the scene and the kid wants to make money........

Whatever happened to loyalty ??...........Marvin Hagler had his head turned plenty.........But in fairness to Marv he stood with the guys who believed in him like Hobson obviously did Jamie....

.He seemed even happier for McDonnell than McDonnell did himself..

You can say well it's a hard business he should earn all he can...Fair point but why not tell Hobson before all the hard work you are sticking two fingers up at him when you become semi-lucrative !!

One has to remember that lower weight fighters bring no money to the table for the IBF and other alphabets so the idea is they fight regularly to make money for them......

Boxing is a business..............He was a fortunate champion.......It does sound like he's a knob.......

Whilst I question the process and it is unfair......Let's face it If he was a much bigger selling welter it wouldn't happen...........Life is unfair and he sounds like an ingrate.........

So b****cks to him............Loyalty and honesty are the two things I hold most dearly in others!!!......Cool 

and as long as my Wife sticks to them I'm happy...........

Don't feel sorry for a**holes...........Is my motto..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:34 am

Fair point truss.

Backfired on him big time

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

Some fair points Truss but loyalty only goes so far. As Froch found out being stuck with a promoter without a TV deal is a tough position to be in and loyalty ain't going to pay the bills once your career is over. Jusr seems to me the IBF have been a little hasty in acting this time round, if his last fight was 12 month ago I could almost see their point but it was in May, by todays standards a five month wait is hardly out of the ordinary.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 19 Oct 2013, 11:39 am

Rowley wrote:Some fair points Truss but loyalty only goes so far. As Froch found out being stuck with a promoter without a TV deal is a tough position to be in and loyalty ain't going to pay the bills once your career is over. Jusr seems to me the IBF have been a little hasty in acting this time round, if his last fight was 12 month ago I could almost see their point but it was in May, by todays standards a five month wait is hardly out of the ordinary.
Fair comment Rowley if your not getting the TV exposure you become Jamie Who,and we don't know whats gone on behind the scenes with his promoter. Obviously a case with the IBF of who you are,would they strip one of their PFP title holders almost certainly not,what a disgrace bunch of clowns in charge..

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

Looks to me like Jamie has been getting some poor advice off Hearn.

Why wasn't the contract signed to fight the mandatory on Nov 9th. I'm sure the IBF gave plenty of notice of the requirement to take the mandatory.

It seems to me like Hearn advised McDonnell that he would smoothen everything out with the IBF. No need to worry about the mandatory as Eddie would sort that out.

Maybe the IBF are more difficult to influence than the WBO.

Maybe Vitali has been in constant discussion with the IBF who are willing to negotiate with him. Maybe Matchroom didn't deal with the problem effectively. Maybe Matchroom should have advised Jamie to take his mandatory before switching over to them.

Sounds to me that there was some inept decision making at play in this one.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 19 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

Truss makes some interesting points, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

You know that thing about your wife and loyalty truss... Got some bad news for you on that front.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

milkyboy wrote:Truss makes some interesting points, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

You know that thing about your wife and loyalty truss... Got some bad news for you on that front.
Wait in line

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:30 pm

Interesting article here...

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/news/wbn/2013/10/18/hobson-mcdonnell-has-lost-world-title-due-to-outside-influences.html

Maybe it wasn't Matchroom turning his head... This suggests it was Boxnation/Warren.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:48 pm

Why would Hearn lodge an appeal if Mcdonnell signed with Boxnation?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:51 pm

Is there anything in boxing you don't blame on the Hearns strongy?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:51 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Is there anything in boxing you don't blame on the Hearns strongy?
David Haye

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:55 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Why would Hearn lodge an appeal if Mcdonnell signed with Boxnation?
It's a good point, well made.

Maybe they're both after him.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Is there anything in boxing you don't blame on the Hearns strongy?

Obviously the IBF aren't as familiar as the WBO with tricky dicky East End barrow boy wheeling and dealing.

If McDonnell wasn't badly advised he wouldn't be in this mess.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Oct 2013, 4:51 pm

You know for a 100% fact that its AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL FastCar Eddie's fault right Strongy?

Plus the IBF's rule is 9 months before the belt holders are stripped, he may find a way out of it if Hearn is involved seeing as he has some common sense

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

But what we can conclude is that whatever problems there were behind the scenes were manageable before the kid became a semi-lucrative World champion..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 5:23 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:You know for a 100% fact that its AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL FastCar Eddie's fault right Strongy?

Plus the IBF's rule is 9 months before the belt holders are stripped, he may find a way out of it if Hearn is involved seeing as he has some common sense
Hearn took over McDonnell's affairs while McDonnell was still contracted to Hobson is what Hobson is saying.

Without the alleged Matchroom meddling and turning McDonnell's head whould this mess have happened?

The Hearn's history has been to completely buy up sports giving them total control. They seem intent on buying up British boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Oct 2013, 5:30 pm

... Whats wrong with them wanting to control British Boxing... As far as I can see British Boxing is back on the way up since Eddie's arrival, Sky nearly dropped boxing, Hearn has ended up getting Sky to get more funding in Boxing now due to the success he's had.

Bought up Snooker, a dying sport, has revamped it and TV Audiences are getting bigger again.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:... Whats wrong with them wanting to control British Boxing... As far as I can see British Boxing is back on the way up since Eddie's arrival, Sky nearly dropped boxing, Hearn has ended up getting Sky to get more funding in Boxing now due to the success he's had.

Bought up Snooker, a dying sport, has revamped it and TV Audiences are getting bigger again.

There are many different ways of doing business. Make no mistake the barrow boys are the most ruthless and unethical types of people. They will screw anybody they can. They have screwed Hobson, I hope Hobson wins a a big figure when he sues Hearn.

Cast this against the backdrop of Eddie humbly saying he is a fan of boxing and loves the sport. My arse.

Even a ruthless uncompromising businessman like Michael O'Leary of Ryanair has infinitely more morals than the Hearn's.

On snooker, I suggest you read what the players think of Hearn. The viewing figures are up in godforsaken places around the world that Hearn drags the players to play in. Because Hearn has total control of the sport he gets away with abusing the players.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:16 pm

You have an irrational hatred that makes you talk a load of nonsense, Hearn has been nothing but good for British boxing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:18 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:... Whats wrong with them wanting to control British Boxing... As far as I can see British Boxing is back on the way up since Eddie's arrival, Sky nearly dropped boxing, Hearn has ended up getting Sky to get more funding in Boxing now due to the success he's had.

One guy takes control...........You'll get referees and judges who want to work in the sport eager to please The Hearn family.......Boxers who aren't in the fold being frozen out.........Fighters earning lower wages because where are they going to go If they don't accept them...........

They will basically end up owning the BBBc....... So injustices will be sweeped under the carpet.......

Hearn family controlling the sport ........No thanks.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:27 pm

On the whole the matchroom guys face better opponents than any other British boxers. Would Froch have got Bute and Kessler to come over to the uk with any other promoter, I doubt it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:51 pm

Time will tell.

The worm has already turned in my view.

Lets see what the Hearn's do in the next 12 months. Maloney has retired, nobody is quite sure of Frank's financial situation. Hennessey and Hatton are not organised enough.

The Hearns have hurt Warren. They will be looking to wipe him out now. Total domination is nigh.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm

Strongback wrote: They have screwed Hobson,
Oh please, enough with the hyperbole. They have heard a fighter is unhappy with his current promoter and tried to secure his services. Any person who felt doing this was unethical would last all of about 30 seconds in the business of boxing promoting. If you feel Hobson would have done any differently had the boot been on the other foot you are kidding yourself.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:30 pm

Rowley is right.........No Promoters are angels they'd all be in there............It's a hard game and it's why I laugh when people say Hearn is a nice guy......Promotion is a game for killers...Getting the right price..twisting arms..screwing opposition.......

However I don't want one guy running the sport........

Never a truer line than "Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely....."

Best for McDonnell also to remember the people who helped him on his journey and where he'd be without them too.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:40 pm

The past is the past, it's time to look to the future and he didn't seem to be getting anywhere with Hobson. He got him his world title shot on home soil but it was then case of striking when the iron was hot but he did nothing. There are worst things for a career than defending your title on a Barker, Burns or Froch undercard.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:43 pm

You can be a mercenary swine.........But some of us can have principles..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm

Very few have principles when it comes to your livelihood and making money. McDonnell clearly feels his career will be better off with Hearn instead of Hobson. There's no time for sentiment in boxing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:49 pm

Do you think Khan should still be with Warren, Froch with Hennessy, Floyd with Arum. All of these guys got these guys titles and made money for them, which is what Hobson has done for Jamie.

They left because they got a better offer or felt they could do better with someone else. Jamie has done no differently to any of those guys and as such does not deserve3 any more grief than any of those guys got and I cannot remember anyone shedding any tears when the three mentioned made their split.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:52 pm

Is that a generalisation by any chance.........

Hagler thought there was time........Leonard stayed with Trainer...........

Maybe you don't give a crap about walking over people or those that do...but I'm different

Because I'd take loyalty over money any day........Because I measure someones worth more by what kind of person they are than their wallet.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:56 pm

If I get offered a job that offers more than I'm currently on then I'd sure as he'll take it. This isn't a fantasy world, McDonnell has himself and his family to think about first and foremost not his promoter.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

That's an office job...........I'm talking about a guy who is 21-2-1............and had a guy stand by him through the bad times and good......

and as soon as he becomes a commodity he sacks him off...........

F**k off with your fantasy world.......Hagler think it was fantasy????????????????????

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

So do you think Floyd should have stayed with Arum Truss?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:01 pm

No.......Arum was a huge Promoter .....and Floyd made him big money....

Not some guy who invested all his time and energy into a kid with two defeats and probably at EXPENSE to himself just to be ditched when he became lucrative.....

It's a little different..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:01 pm

So you think Hagler should have left the Petronellis, Rowley ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:02 pm

Stop with insults fat lad.

Principles don't put on the table and it doesn't matter if it's an office job or sport, it's still just a job.

Hagler is different in that his friends trained and promoted him not your regular gold digging promoters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:04 pm

You're right it is different Floytd was always going to make enough money to never had to work again irrespective of who promoted him and was always going to be sure he could get meaningful and lucrative fights.

Jamie can be sure of none of those things and probably has a fairly short window to make any kind of significant money from the game.

Personally I know who I feel has the most right to be ruthless and chase the best deal that is out there for him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So you think Hagler should have left the Petronellis, Rowley ??
I think it is up to him and would not criticise him either way. I actually said at the time Khan had been a bit ruthless in leaving Frank, as I felt he had done well by him but none of us see what goes on behind closed doors and for me too many fighters finish their careers skint for me to criticise a guy for chasing a quid when the opportunity arises.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Stop with insults fat lad.

Principles don't put on the table and it doesn't matter if it's an office job or sport, it's still just a job.

Hagler is different in that his friends trained and promoted him not your regular gold digging promoters.
Hagler isn't different.............He stayed loyal...........to his promotion team as did Leonard to Mike Trainer..........

According to you biting the hand that feeds you is acceptable as long as it is in the Family interest..

I'm old school.......Treat others as you wish to be treated..

and thank god there are people like me..........

Feel free to patronise this offering..........Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:10 pm

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote: They have screwed Hobson,
Oh please, enough with the hyperbole. They have heard a fighter is unhappy with his current promoter and tried to secure his services. Any person who felt doing this was unethical would last all of about 30 seconds in the business of boxing promoting. If you feel Hobson would have done any differently had the boot been on the other foot you are kidding yourself.
Do you know McDonnell was unhappy?

Hearn might have tapped up McDonnell. That is what Hobson is saying anyway.

There is a contract in place and Hearn has disrespected it.

We will know more when the judge makes his decision.

The bottom line is all this messing around by McDonnell and Hearn has led to the belt being stripped. Not too clever really.

On another note, part of the problem with boxing is people are willing to accept boxing is corrupt but then complain when there are a plethora of belts and 16 weight classes.

The people watching boxing need to demand less corruption instead of saying corruption is ok because this is boxing.

Last edited by Strongback on Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

A lot of mights in that offering Strongy.........You don't know what Hearn has done...

Keep your boxnation articles down to a minimum If you want people to take you at face value...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:14 pm

So with one breath you say Hearn might have tapped him up but with the other you say he screwed him. Glad to see you are not letting your personal opinion oh Hearn cloud your judgement.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:16 pm

There is one 'might' in that post followed by a reference to Hobson corroborating the 'might' statement.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:17 pm

Look I might have been rude to hammer and I apologise.........

The "as long as I'm okay" attitude that we have Reagan to thank for....Is something I don't like......Probably slightly hypocritical with me marrying into money and that........

I get your points that Boxing is a hurt business and I agree.......But Hobson is a small promoter who's invested a lot of money and time and he won't get the fruits of his labor...

Now If I've been over zealous I apologise.........

I'm taking the Red Dragon out for a meal and wish you all a very happy evening.....and good night.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next