The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikey Garcia

+6
spencerclarke
jimdig
TopHat24/7
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
10 posters

Go down

Mikey Garcia Empty Mikey Garcia

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

The body shot he finished Martinez with on Saturday was an absolute peach.

Now a 2 weight world champion and starting to power on in his career.

The Juanma win isn't really given much credit due to Mikey failing to make weight but after watching the 2Days on HBO about it, watching Garcia vomit into a gym bag and nearly pass out a few times in the corridor on the way to the weigh in, it isn't as if he didn't try to make weight, it actually looked as if he would struggle on fight night. He did nearly kill himself to make 126lb.

But anyway, Salido, Juanma and now Martinez. Pretty good wins and the fashion in how he dealt with Juanma and Martinez was brilliant.

He called out Gamboa and I reckon should he win that then he is easily in the top 10 p4p, or should be.

His style is water tight and his power is explosive. Great defence also.

I'm a bit skeptical about bandwagons coming along......I was about Lara when he was being made out to be the GOAT on here, Golovkin (still fighting lower level garbage)....

But Garcia to me REALLY seems to be the real deal. Looking forward to watching him progress, he has the tools to go a long, long way.

Best of luck to him
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Mikey Garcia Empty Re: Mikey Garcia

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:38 am

This kid really excites me,  and while I have always been a fan I thought he might be a bit too stiff and a bit too textbook to make it into the big leagues but I've been happily proven wrong

He is so technically sound,  sets everything up with a hard powerful jab that keeps them at arms length then makes them pay when they get wild as he is a great counter puncher,,  and boy can he punch.  Martinez has his limits,  but he is tough as old boots and stopping him is a great accomplishment

Salido, Joanna and Martinez,  the sky is his limit and I may have changed my mind from Gamboa getting the win to Garcia pulling it off given their respective forms

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

Speaking of Gamboa, where is he?

Based in Gamboa's recent performance where he was knocked down by being wild, you cant help think that if he did the same to Mikey, then he gets finished off.

should be an excellent fight.

That body shot on Sat night was a peach.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:56 am

Favourite fighter of the moment.

His ko ratio is massive, but that risks over-looking his defensive excellence. His footwork is very good and he can be quite elusive, there was a flurry in, I think, the 4th round where Rocky through 6 or 7 big punches and not one landed with Mikey showing excellent balance and awareness to duck and twist out of all of them. He kept Martinez down to only 14% landed ratio, that's Floyd level skills.

He is so patient and composed. His ko ratio is very high but he just go hunting for the ko from minute 1, he is more cerebral, he works his opponents out, lets them feel his power, and then when the opportunity does open up he goes for it with blistering, but controlled, Fury. As for composed, I haven't seen anyone handle a kd so calmly since Rigo was dropped by Donaire. He fell on his bum, sat there with a look like "well, that was silly, wasn't it?", took half a count to compose and then got up like a robot and carried on to roundly batter his opponent.

He seems committed, level headed and loves the sport. Hope he goes all the way and breaks top5 p4p (is already top10 for me).

Was an interesting night, Fat Dan writing an interesting article comparing his fortunes with Donaire who was looking sloppy and losing on many cards before finally coming alive in the 9th. Mikey on the other hand looked in total control from the 2nd rd kd onwards.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:58 am

The left hook is vicious. He gets so much power into it, it really is scary.

He has one of the best KO ratios in boxing right now and it is great to see him carry it into the world scene.

His fight against Salito was a bit of a disappointing finish due to his nose being broke. But he was putting Salito on his back at will....and not many people can do that to Salito.

The Juama finish was brutal and on Saturday what I was impressed with most was how he adapted to Martinez. I dont think anyone expected Rocky to box like that and he sort of caught Mikey off guard, but once he got into his rhythm he looked great and the finish was the cherry on the cake.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:12 am

Has a massive head. Handled the knock down very well too. It really put him on the seat of his pants but seemed clear headed as soon as his ass touched the canvas. There is no panicking in him, he took his time and went back to work not deviating from his plan. He's a class act. Gambos speed could prove a challenge, but Gambo could nearly now be added to the biggest waste of talent list.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

jimdig wrote:Has a massive head. Handled the knock down very well too. It really put him on the seat of his pants but seemed clear headed as soon as his ass touched the canvas. There is no panicking in him, he took his time and went back to work not deviating from his plan. He's a class act. Gambos speed could prove a challenge, but Gambo could nearly now be added to the biggest waste of talent list.
Indeed. In fact it is Mikey that's replaced Gamboa as my favourite active fighter.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 11 Nov 2013, 11:52 pm

The lower weights don't seem to get much of a mention around here. Garcia would be close to top ten p4p by now if he was at a higher weight.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

Yep, he seems to have went under the radar every so slightly. But, when you look at his resume and his performances, then he easily deserves to be in the top 10 p4p, especially when you consider that Broner and Alvarez are in the Ring's, and others, lists.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

He already is in my book.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 10:01 am

To be fair, spencer, a few years ago the lower weights literally NEVER got a look in, even though we had the likes of Naz, MAB, Morales, Vazquez, Marquez, Pacquiao etc etc.

Its seems to have taken off in the past couple or more though, with Donaire, Rigo, Gamboa, Garcia etc etc. Not sure why, because i preferred the other generation as mentioned above.

Maybe the heavier divisions are THAT poor, that people actually now maybe prefer welter and below.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

I think the Naz era got far more interest than it does now, the current crop are known by the hardcore but no the casuals. Naz, Pacquiao, Barrera and Morales were big names in America.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Miguel Angel Garcia is a very fine boxer, but I think he should stay at featherweight. He's still the linear featherweight world champion and featherweight is where the money's at.

At lightweight, if he's going to face Gamboa, I think Vazquez beat Mikey rather easily.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 1:01 pm

His status at FW is a grey area though as technically he was stripped. Agree there's nothing good at SFW though, unless Gamboa agrees to come back down.

To be honest, one more fight at SFW against a decent level contender and then up to LW I reckon. He's got the power to carry up, the stature to hold his own and the technique not to be over-awed. Would back him to take Burns' title in his first fight at the weight in 6 rounds or less, making him a 3-weight world champ.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Nov 2013, 2:35 am

Mikey uses Ariza, starts eating more protein, gets dropped for the first time since I don't know when.

Ariza I think, knows how to get a fighter to put on muscle.

That's not the way to go for Mikey imo. He doesn't want to lose any of that blinding speed, which I suppose, could happen if he puts on too much muscle.

Should ditch Ariza and stick to his tried and trusted.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down