The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 6

+12
ShahenshahG
spencerclarke
superflyweight
The Fourth Lion
JuliusHMarx
compelling and rich
Rowley
TopHat24/7
Il Gialloblu
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Galted
16 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Galted Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:50 am

First topic message reminder :

It's just as funny on the second read.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:21 am

Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:I used to work with a kid who came to work in full military garb, the stuff you buy off rubbish market stalls for geezers who have read Bravo Two Zero far too many times. I could have described his gear as "clothes that very much cater to unique individual tastes", however I also chose to describe them as crap.
I tend to agree with your word selection in this instance.  Used to pass a thickset, goateed person in the streets who wore camouflage gear, heavy boots and a studded leather colour.  Quite frightful.
Do you mean studded leather collar?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:Fair point Tina. As an aside the bloke who used to dress like that was a fairly rotund fellow. One of the wags on his team named him Andy McFlab.
That's relatively amusing.  Didn't deserve a L*L but quite funny.
It was no Randy McKnob.

(c) Michael from Alan Partridge
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 am

@ Rowley, think that would cause a national incident and a series of marches if it happened today.

@ Tino, quite right, I clearly meant "collar". Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make an example of myself by not correcting the error, hopefully others can learn from my mistake and remember to proofread their posts.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 am

Galted wrote:

@ Tino, quite right, I clearly meant "collar".  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll make an example of myself by not correcting the error, hopefully others can learn from my mistake and remember to proofread their posts.
You're welcome.

Considering your first post to me today was quite confrontational, I think I have been very kind to you this morning. Especially given you were so quick to pull me up on my grammar a few days ago.

I could have said, "learn to read and write, Galted, you silly obnoxious c*nt", but I am fond of you and have taken the moral high ground.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 am

I think that should be "learn to read and write, Galted, you silly, obnoxious c*nt".

I'm not entirely sure.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 am

A coloured comma. A 'comma chameleon' perhaps?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:45 am

Brilliant.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:48 am

clap 

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:40 am

Rowley wrote:this was when I worked for the Home Office.
Before you sold your soul and principles for cold hard cash?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 am

About covers it. Am a little aggreived though that I am getting grief for being a sell out by a city boy hedge fund manager.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:44 am

Rowley wrote:
About covers it. Am a little aggreived though that I am getting grief for being a sell out by a city boy hedge fund manager.
I wish I was a hedge fund manager.

Anyway, I never had any soul or principles so there was nothing to sell.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:47 am

As you well know from my PM's when I try and read books on financial matters my understanding of such affairs is sketchy at best mate. I would ask you what you do but suspect I would end up none the wiser.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:47 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Anyway, I never had any soul or principles so there was nothing to sell.
PPI? Endowment policies?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 am

Rowley wrote:As you well know from my PM's when I try and read books on financial matters my understanding of such affairs is sketchy at best mate. I would ask you what you do but suspect I would end up none the wiser.
That is grossly unfair. You asked me about CDO's and I gave you a brilliant explanation. I dumbed it down so far that I assumed even you understood it. I even used boxing books as an analogy to cater for your rather limited social spectrum.

Some people are so ungrateful.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I just looked up CDOs (plural, no apostrophe) on wiki. I got as far as "A collateralized debt obligation (CDO)..." then got bored and stopped reading.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I just looked up CDOs (plural, no apostrophe) on wiki. I got as far as "A collateralized debt obligation (CDO)..." then got bored and stopped reading.
That is exactly why I dumbed it down to boxing books for Jeff. I just pitched it to my audience.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 pm

If you pitched it, surely you should have used baseball books?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:If you pitched it, surely you should have used baseball books?
Could have done. I think Jeff likes baseball, actually.

I could explain it you, and use something you're familiar with. How about rock formations from the Cretaceous period?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 pm

How about soft rock formations of the Californian period?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:How about soft rock formations of the Californian period?
SOFT ROCK.

Are you going to join in my spectacular Music Cup in 2014? And are you going to whinge your way through every round?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:21 pm

I do like baseball Tina. Should have perhaps clarified that your explanation was brilliant and if there was still confusion it was as the consequence of my stupidity and not your words.

Odd really, I am not a stupid man but anything slightly maths or financial related just leaves me in complete bafflement. Might have to reinstate coxy, as 606's go to guy for economic insight and brilliance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Rowley wrote:
Might have to reinstate coxy, as 606's go to guy for economic insight and brilliance.
If you reinstate him, I will have to leave in a childish strop.

Your choice.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Believe that is what is known as a Hobson's choice. Should not really consider reinstating coxy. It is our christmas do tonight, should try and maintain something approaching a good mood.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Rowley wrote:It is our christmas do tonight, should try and maintain something approaching a good mood.
Nice. Where are you going and are you wearing a novelty tie or jumper for the occasion?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:How about soft rock formations of the Californian period?
SOFT ROCK.

Are you going to join in my spectacular Music Cup in 2014?  And are you going to whinge your way through every round?
If by 'spectacular' you mean long-running, subject to delays and with missing votes and arbitrary choices of rounds designed to benefit the younger 606v2 posters, then yes, count me in.
And yes I am.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 pm

We are down London, have an office up here and one down there so alternate it. Not sure where we are going, to be honest whenever I go to London I am too busy whinging about how busy it is, how much stuff costs and trying to avoid getting mugged to pay attention to where I actually am.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:arbitrary choices of rounds designed to benefit the younger 606v2 posters
Why do you keep peddling this filthy lie? There were two rounds that had an age restriction. Two rounds out of 12 10. That is 20% of the rounds.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Rowley wrote:We are down London, have an office up here and one down there so alternate it. Not sure where we are going, to be honest whenever I go to London I am too busy whinging about how busy it is, how much stuff costs and trying to avoid getting mugged to pay attention to where I actually am.
You should have said, I'm sure Galted and myself would happily have met up for a pint of Stout.

So long as TopHat doesn't get wind of it and try to tag along.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Your second line pretty much explains why the first one did not happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Rowley wrote:We are down London, have an office up here and one down there so alternate it. Not sure where we are going, to be honest whenever I go to London I am too busy whinging about how busy it is, how much stuff costs and trying to avoid getting mugged to pay attention to where I actually am.
You should have said, I'm sure Galted and myself would happily have met up for a pint of Stout.

So long as TopHat doesn't get wind of it and try to tag along.
Wouldn't it be funny if we didn't get along and it turned into a glass-in-the-face-fest?

Or, even better, if we mugged him?  Imagine trying to explain to the police that you were robbed by two men you met on the internet.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Galted wrote:

Or, even better, if we mugged him?  Imagine trying to explain to the police that you were robbed by two men you met on the internet.
I think Jeff is quite big. And he has a beard.

I am not that much of a fighter and I have my suspicions that neither are you?

He might kick both our heads in.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Although I am a pretty big guy and do have a beard I am completely rubbish at fighting. On the plus side though most independent observers thought I deserved a draw in my last fight when I was 12.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Rowley wrote:Although I am a pretty big guy and do have a beard I am completely rubbish at fighting. On the plus side though most independent observers thought I deserved a draw in my last fight when I was 12.
I have a 0-1-0 record.

And my loss came against a small child.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I would back you in the rematch for what it is worth. From your reports it sounds like a lucky shot.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Galted wrote:

I think Jeff is quite big.  And he has a beard.

I am not that much of a fighter and I have my suspicions that neither are you?

He might kick both our heads in.

Your suspicions are correct. I would've expected you to lay into him while I ran off with his wallet.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Galted wrote:while I ran off with his wallet.
He is from Yorkshire. There would be f*ck all in it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Laugh 

I have much to learn about stealing from these Men of the North o Master.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 am

I have tried to find out what this monumentally long thread is really all about but I have only one life and cannot plough through this whole thing in what remains of it.

I get the feeling that is supposed to be about something to do with music, but the last umpteen pages tend not to support that.  it seems to have veered off into an incoherent ramble about nothing at all.

Could somebody tell me what the proposition that we are meant to be discussing, is, please.

Thanks.
Exhausted of Hampshire.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 am

its basically a section where galted, rowley, julius and tino can flirt together

the main premises being what they had for lunch, who's the softest in a fight, and what latest pair of hi tecs galted got on. its all riveting stuff i assure you

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:31 am

compelling and rich wrote:its basically a section where galted, rowley, julius and tino can flirt together

the main premises being what they had for lunch, who's the softest in a fight, and what latest pair of hi tecs galted got on. its all riveting stuff i assure you

And michaels.

Don't forget michaels.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 am

Galted wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:its basically a section where galted, rowley, julius and tino can flirt together

And michaels.

Don't forget michaels.

And occasionally TopHat.

Don't forget TopHat.

When, of course, he finds time out his heavy grooming sessions with champagne_socialist.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 am

1.27am? Life in the old dog yet.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 am

seanmichaels wrote:1.27am? Life in the old dog yet.....

He probably started reading it at 5 the previous evening.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:04 am

Burrito today or are you back to Wednesday / Fridays this week?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 am

I favour a burrito but there is a bit of a catch. I was in Jersey until yesterday evening but pulled a sickie as other people were off work. The reason I gave was food poisoning so a burrito with extra hot chillie sauce could be suspicious. If anyone points it out I could always tell them to mind their own f*****g business though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 am

How was Jersey?

Disappointed you pulled a sickie. I haven't had a single day off sick in over a decade. I have had days out when the kids are ill or something but not for me.

I am very proud of it. Must be a northern thing as people down here are always pulling sickies.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:21 am

I don't make a habit of it, if I'm genuinely sick I do make the effort to get into work in the hope that others become infected. Didn't really have much choice as there was no leave available and my salary is rubbish enough to justify me not giving a sh1t.

I think the reason northerners don't pull sickies is that their mums might be accused of witchcraft and burned or drowned.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 am

Jersey was lovely, though, thanks for asking. I walked on the beach in my Hi-Tecs then left sand footprints across the floor of the Tiffin Tearoom. Didn't realise until I got back to the table from having a dump.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 am

With 30 kids at home I expect work is your solace....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 am

Galted wrote:Jersey was lovely, though, thanks for asking.  I walked on the beach in my Hi-Tecs then left sand footprints across the floor of the Tiffin Tearoom.  Didn't realise until I got back to the table from having a dump.

Glad you gave the story some context. Makes it all worthwhile.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next