The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records?

+6
alfie
subhranshu.kumar.5
Stella
kingraf
Gerry SA
invisiblecoolers
10 posters

Go down

Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records? Empty Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records?

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:08 am

Found an interesting link - > ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/is-this-real-sachin-tendulkar-being-chased-by-clarke-and-cook/439776-78.html.

According to it

Clarke - 100 Matches 7966 Runs and 26 Centuries
Cook - 100 Matches 7955 Runs and 25 Centuries

Total - 200 Matches 15921 Runs and 51 Centuries
which exactly matches Sachin's
ST - 200 Matches 15921 Runs and 51 Centuries

Cook is just 28 years old and needed just 7 years to hit the above milestone.  Very Happy 

So do any of you here think it could be a possibility that one of these two if not both break Sachin's records?

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records? Empty Re: Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records?

Post by Gerry SA Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:36 am

Pup won't play beyond 35, he's got a dodgy back.

Cook's 29 soon, so he's probably got 3/4 years of his peak left. He's got a pretty limited technique so once he drops off a bit he not match Tendulkar either.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records? Empty Re: Clarke or Cook capable of breaking Sachin's test records?

Post by kingraf Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:01 am

Doubt it. 200 Test is a long way, especially for Clarke. Cook will play enough tests, but thats still about seven-eight years away. Some serious crystal ball gazing there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:04 am

Cook..............maybe? Clarke..............never.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:18 am

Gerry SA wrote:Pup won't play beyond 35, he's got a dodgy back.

Cook's 29 soon, so he's probably got 3/4 years of his peak left. He's got a pretty limited technique so once he drops off a bit he not match Tendulkar either.

I Agree with Gerry here, Clarke will max go till 160 odd matches. But Cook still have 7 years in bag. He may go till 180 odd matches, for England play lots of Test a year. I still doubt both breaking Tendy's record.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:49 am

Well I guess it is possible : Cook at least is young enough to do so. But he would have to maintain a consistent output for a long time - and remain hungry enough as well to actually want to keep going.

I think it is unlikely.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Wed 18 Dec 2013, 11:00 am

Listing it by Matches is very misleading! Change to Innings and you'll see why it will be so tough.

Clarke - 170 innings 7966 Runs and 26 Centuries  46.86 per inns
Cook - 179 innings  7955 Runs and 25 Centuries   44.44 per inns
----------------------------------------------
Total - 349 innings 15921 Runs and 51 Centuries

ST - 329 innings 15921 Runs and 51 Centuries     48.39 per inns

Cook is helped by being an opener so he will get more innings but his average has dropped already and will probably fall throughout his career and he's already losing a 100 runs every 25 inns to ST
Clarke has the better record but as pointed out is somewhat injury prone.

Short answer to the OP, no.  Although i'd put money on Cook finishing as Englands leading scorer

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Dec 2013, 6:48 pm

Clarke wont IMO he dosent have enough time left to do so...Cook still has time but i doubt he will beat the record.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Dec 2013, 9:26 pm

Your biggest problem is time.

Tendulkar played international cricket for 24 years.

By the time Tendulkar played 175 innings he was just short of 9000 runs and he already had 31 centuries. He average at the time was 56.

Both Cook and Clarke are behind the eight ball in those areas.

So they not only have to be able to play an additonal 100 matches, but they need to score the same number of centuries they have done in the first 170 odd innings, whilst Tendulkar only made an additional 20 for the 170 innings he played, plus they need to continue making the same runs they did where Tendulkar's runs in his last 160 innings dropped to about 7000 runs.

It isn't impossible, but it will be one hell of a challenge.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 18 Dec 2013, 10:56 pm

I don't think Clarke has more than 2 years left, and I don't think Cook is good enough.

So no
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:45 pm

Olly wrote:I don't think Clarke has more than 2 years left, and I don't think Cook is good enough.

So no
 thumbsup 

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 20 Dec 2013, 4:49 am

Biltong wrote:Your biggest problem is time.

Tendulkar played international cricket for 24 years.

By the time Tendulkar played 175 innings he was just short of 9000 runs and he already had 31 centuries. He average at the time was 56.

Both Cook and Clarke are behind the eight ball in those areas.

So they not only have to be able to play an additonal 100 matches, but they need to score the same number of centuries they have done in the first 170 odd innings, whilst Tendulkar only made an additional 20 for the 170 innings he played, plus they need to continue making the same runs they did where Tendulkar's runs in his last 160 innings dropped to about 7000 runs.

It isn't impossible, but it will be one hell of a challenge.

Good points. thumbsup 

What amazes me is Sachin kept the high average even in his so called dull 2nd part of his career, yes its possible for both but would be one hell of a challenge to maintain the consistency of scoring that big for that long.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down