The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bottom ELEVEN

+17
Corporalhumblebucket
dancingweeman
guildfordbat
The Special Juan
FootballLight
GSC
mystiroakey
socal1976
Good Golly I'm Olly
Luke
owen10ozzy
westisbest
Crimey
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
Roller_Coaster
Dolphin Ziggler
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Bottom ELEVEN - Page 2 Empty The Bottom ELEVEN

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Well, as we have a top six thread, the bottom is as enticing a prospect as ever. There's no glory in it, but a relegation battle is great to watch from the outside (I remember those days).

Only one team has survived after being bottom at Christmas, and whilst Sunderland can take heart from getting past Chelsea in the League Cup, its not a great deal of use when you can't beat a fellow struggler at home a few days later.

There are plenty of teams who seemingly look too lazy to keep out of it. From 10th and Stoke downwards. Swansea surely have too much class, but Europa League and some injuries to key players have stretched the squad. Newcastle fans will sympathise at how that combination can make life dangerous.

Hull have ground it out in great fashion, but they do lack quality, especially up front. Villa are their usual inconsistent self, the youth playing a factor again. Norwich at times look god awful, but Hughton may find favour in going direct to Elmander and seeing how Hooper reacts.

Cardiff as a club are a mess and they lack quality. West Brom need to get someone new in charge and hope it works. Were Clarke's buys any good? Do they have anything to spend? Has the glory of one year of Lukaku put them steps back as they get over his absence?

My beloved are in the doldrums with a big injury list and god awful displays to go along with it. For 50 mins apiece at Norwich and Palace we were the worst team this league has seen so far. Carroll's return, Reid's fitness and some January acquisitions to save the season.

Palace have found some resurgence, but the new manager rub will fade and quality could tell. Pulis won't let them whimper away like Holloway was trying to; there's life in the old dog yet.

Fulham. A team full of luxury players that can be class and can be completely lost when they are needed most. Is Meulensteen a manager? Scotty Parker will do what he always has and fight for every last second, its kept teams up before.

And then its bottom at Christmas Sunderland. Poyet is at a loss currently as to why his team are playing so poorly. A touch worrying. He seems not to fancy Fletcher, but the guy will score goals. Many a club will hope to snatch him if they go down.

10 Stoke 17 -4 21
11 Swansea 17 0 20
12 Hull        17 -6 20
13 Aston Villa 17 -6 19
14 Norwich 17 -14 19
15 Cardiff 17 -12 17
16 West Brom 17 -5 16
17 West Ham 17 -8 14
18 Palace 17 -16 13
19 Fulham 17 -17 13
20 Sunderland 17 -18 10

What are our predictions?

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Bottom ELEVEN - Page 2 Empty Re: The Bottom ELEVEN

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Feb 2014, 10:36 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I'd not realised how bad Norwich's fixtures are. Even foregoing the appalling finish, they seem to have games they'd really want to be at home sadly away this half of the season. The saving grace is that I think teams will stay up with around 36/37 points, so its not that many points they need to scrape out

And we're absolute dog Poopie away.

In big big trouble
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 06 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Robbie Savage wrote:"Norwich have only managed one win in the league since 7 December and I just think they are going to go down because their last four games look extremely difficult. They play Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"Cardiff's away form is one of the worst in the division. I think because of that they will not pick up enough points. I'd love for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to keep a Welsh team in the Premier League, but I just don't think they have enough quality.

"Finally, Fulham. They can't score goals and can't defend. They were woeful in the FA Cup in midweek and I believe they will go down.

"It is so tight at the bottom from 11th down. This season is very bizarre and the three teams that I think will go down could get a couple of wins and get out of it. I'll probably be wrong but I am going to stick with my chosen three!"

Savage's verdict: Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Well I'm much more confident of survival now Laugh

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 06 Feb 2014, 3:46 pm

Yeah lol.

Savage talks you down.... Huge boost.. My Gfriend predicts better than him! Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 06 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm

Exactly. He sums us up as surviving because of Carroll. Urmmm, Robbie, he's out for 3 games! I thought we were in trouble before, he is predicting us safe by virtue of other teams not improving. Bit of a worry!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Feb 2014, 5:52 pm

Dolphin - like the change of title for the thread.  thumbsup 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Going down:

18th - Hull (will soon sink like a stone)
19th - Cardiff (a bit like Blackburn, they're falling apart)
20th - Sunderland (just not good enough)

I'm happy to stick with this.

Still sticking, a couple of weeks on.

Maybe Fulham will go down though? And Norwich have some difficult fixtures ahead.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:30 am

At the moment it really is three for the drop from The Bottom ELEVEN.

Swansea looked in freefall last week and yet seven days later with one manager out the door and three points in the bag are in the top ten. Still not safe though.

Cardiff - well beaten in the end yesterday by Swansea - and Fulham currently seem the most likely to take two of the relegation spots. That would all change with a couple of wins but how likely is that? I can't see anything but another defeat for Fulham this afternoon at Old Trafford. Meltdown on these boards guaranteed later if Moyes' men don't take all the points.

Great wins yesterday for Palace, West Ham and Hull to suck West Brom, Villa and Sunderland respectively into further trouble. Exactly as required for the victors.

Meanwhile, a handy point each for Norwich and Stoke in what were tough games against Man City and Southampton.

There again, all change again on Wednesday night after the mid-week fixtures ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:34 am

Massive game on Tuesday night eh Guildford!

If we can replicate our performance from yesterday we'll take the three points, but our season is just inconsistent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

Sunderland have got to blame brown for yesterday. You need your experienced players to stand up. To get sent of on 4 minutes during a relegation fight is bad form..

I expected Sunderland to deal with hull yesterday

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

It changes every week, but im going with 

WBA
Sunderland/Fulham
Cardiff.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:49 am

I still cant be confident that palace wont implode.

If I wasn't a palace fan I would look at the recent stats and say- its almost impossible for them to go down with that form and with the new signings and with pulis..

Pulis is averaging 1.5 points  a game..

That is some going over an extended period.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Fulham look certainties. Cardiff are teetering on the edge. The other spot is up for grabs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

Every team seems to be fighting hard bar Fulham.. Its great to see so many teams showing so much passion.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

Olly wrote:Massive game on Tuesday night eh Guildford!

If we can replicate our performance from yesterday we'll take the three points, but our season is just inconsistent

Olly - yes, massive game for you at West Ham. IF (big ''if'') you win that and other results go your way, you could be up to 10th spot. However, a defeat and the vultures are circling overhead again!

Do you have a defensive midfielder who can take care of Nolan when he's anywhere near your goal? If you can nullify him, I don't see that the Hammers have that much of a goal scoring threat. Carroll is no great scorer himself but he makes things happen - lucky for you he'll be watching from the stands.

I agree with you about Norwich's inconsistency but you can probably say the same about all the bottom eleven. Not a dig at you, mate, but I suspect you notice your own team's (and your manager's!!) failings more than those of the other teams around you. I maintain at least three teams are worse than Norwich and that's why I reckon you'll be safe.

PS Are you going on Tuesday?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:Massive game on Tuesday night eh Guildford!

Olly - yes, massive game for you at West Ham. IF (big ''if'') you win that and other results go your way, you could be up to 10th spot. However, a defeat and the vultures are circling overhead again!

Do you have a defensive midfielder who can take care of Nolan when he's anywhere near your goal? If you can nullify him, I don't see that the Hammers have that much of a goal scoring threat. Carroll is no great scorer himself but he makes things happen - lucky for you he'll be watching from the stands.

I agree with you about Norwich's inconsistency but you can probably say the same about all the bottom eleven. Not a dig at you, mate, but I suspect you notice your own team's (and your manager's!!) failings more than those of the other teams around you. I maintain at least three teams are worse than Norwich and that's why I reckon you'll be safe.

PS Are you going on Tuesday?

Nah I can't make it on Tuesday I've got lessons first thing the next morning and none of me mates wanted to go. We've chosen Villa away instead!

I'd like to think there's three worse than us, but it just depends how we play. One thing I take solace in, is that usually under Hughton when we've needed a performance we've got one. I'd rather we never got into that situation in the first place!

We have Tettey who has come back into the side who does a very good job in defensive midfield. We look a different side when he plays. He does the simple things well, breaks up play, and then offloads simply and allows players like Fer to attack as well as the full backs to bomb on.

I'm just worried where the goals are gonna come from. Although we played well yesterday, we still didn't score and Hooper went off with a knock although he is expected to be OK for Tuesday.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:33 pm

Olly wrote: ...

Nah I can't make it on Tuesday I've got lessons first thing the next morning and none of me mates wanted to go. We've chosen Villa away instead!

I'd like to think there's three worse than us, but it just depends how we play. One thing I take solace in, is that usually under Hughton when we've needed a performance we've got one. I'd rather we never got into that situation in the first place!

We have Tettey who has come back into the side who does a very good job in defensive midfield. We look a different side when he plays. He does the simple things well, breaks up play, and then offloads simply and allows players like Fer to attack as well as the full backs to bomb on.

I'm just worried where the goals are gonna come from. Although we played well yesterday, we still didn't score and Hooper went off with a knock although he is expected to be OK for Tuesday.

Cheers, Olly.

Suspect Tettey will have an important part to play.

Understand your concern about getting the goals. Time the Wolf gobbled up a couple!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:12 am

Three wins in a row for Hammers has given them a big boost but still entirely possible they may get sucked back into the mire.  Norwich dominated for much of the game but again couldn't score.

Various of the teams down the bottom have shown the fight to take points off top teams in recent weeks. Fulham likely to be hit hard by their failure to hang on to the lead against Liverpool. A lot will come down to psychology and who holds their nerve best after a couple of poor results in the run in.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:21 am

Guildford, Corporal, Dolph, Soddy et all looking good for your boys now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:03 pm

Still pretty tight.

Couple of losses, the likes of West Ham back in it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

Exactly. So far, we've done what we needed with these fixtures. Got 9 points off the teams around us, which is not only massive for our tally but it limits theirs too. I feel we'll come unstuck with Southampton, but the bonus is I think the morale in the squad is sky high and we won't need a great deal of points to stay up.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

We have Newcastle a, then Norwich h.
4 points would be great.

After that we have:
Man City a, hope to keep the scoreboad low.

Chelsea h, loss no doubt

Stoke h, home form is rubbish, so would'nt surprise me if we lost.

Man Utd a. Dont care how bad a season they are having, we hardly ever win there. Although we are better away from home, you never know Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

I can definitely see Villa taking something from Manchester United, they could play it into your hands as you're quite happy to sit back and counter and United are so poor in attack at the moment that you might be able to hold on and grab a goal.

This relegation fight will almost definitely go on until the last day, I wouldn't be surprised to see five or six teams in the mix with no-one already relegated. So hard to judge as a couple of wins for one team changes the complexion completely.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm

20th - Fulham
19th - Norwich
18th - Palace

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

Every team will be fighting to play us at the moment...we're shipping goals for fun and offering didly offensively...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

Livid we played you in Cabaye's last game, he ran the show. Then Remy gets sent off and everyone but us gets to play you without your best two players (bar Krul maybe)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

Yeah, teams like Newcastle and Southampton are exactly the sides people want to face at the moment because they're not fighting for anything.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Lets hope we can score a goal or 2 next week then.

While i'm not saying Vlaar is top draw, he certainly makes a difference in defence.

Hoping he can stay fit for rest of the season.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

Excellent wins for West Ham and Hull yesterday. Both have now hit the 30 points mark and are looking fairly comfortable.

Hull were one of my tips for the drop a few weeks ago - I just didn't see where the goals were going to come from. However, the signings of Long and Jelavic seem to have sorted that out.

Meanwhile, Cardiff look worse every week and are surely doomed. Still think it could be two others from several contenders to join them. I haven't completely given up on Fulham although this month's manager needs to get them to turn things around and fast.

Today, Norwich are at home to Spurs whilst Swansea and Villa travel to Liverpool and Newcastle respectively. Suspect each of the relegation candidates in those games would settle for a point now.

They may not be for the football purists but some compelling dog eat dog games next weekend -
Villa v Nowich,
Sunderland v West Brom,
Swansea v Palace.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:31 pm

Wow, massive next weekend. Id take 3 draws now and the cushion remaining

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

guildfordbat wrote:They may not be for the football purists but some compelling dog eat dog games next weekend -
Sunderland v West Brom,

This match won't be played next weekend. Sunderland are not playing Premiership football until March 15; they're playing cup football for the next couple of weeks. Man City are off for the same reasons too.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

Fair to say we owe Lambert and Villa one. They've had our number the past two years, what I'd do for a win at Villa Park next week!

Nervous/excited already!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm

Will be a tight game. Not overly confident as its at home and due to both teams results today.

But gonna be confident and say that we continue are decent form against Norwich under Lambert.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:13 pm

And we suck away from home as well West!

Although the one away game I've been to this year (as a paying spectator, not a corporate guest) we won. So maybe I'm a good luck charm Wink (despite bringing me mate who's not seen us win away in 11 games now!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

Make sure you hit the Witton Arms hard and sink a few pints.

Might make the viewing better Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:34 pm

westisbest wrote:Make sure you hit the Witton Arms hard and sink a few pints.

Almost 100% will!  Laugh 

Hopefully we can keep it tight, and maybe nick it. I'd snap your hand off for a point
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:42 pm

Olly wrote:

Almost 100% will!  Laugh 

Hopefully we can keep it tight, and maybe nick it. I'd snap your hand off for a point

Or a pint!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:

Almost 100% will!  Laugh 

Or a pint!  Wink 

All donations are welcome  Ale 

Been a while since my last away day. Looking forward to it. Something more exciting about being an away fan
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

Considerble relief for Norwich today. 

Would be excellent compensation for a relegated Cardiff if they had a revolution and revert to their "proper" / traditional colour.

Hardly possible to believe West Ham won 4 in a row. Not confident yet though as Big Sam may win manager of the month.  Which almost invariably is signal for big slump in form.  Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:52 pm

We have 11 games left, 6 of those are against teams in the bottom 11.

Norwich h, Stoke h, Fulham h, Palace a, Swansea a, Hull h.

The other 5 games are:

Chelsea h, Man City a, Man Utd a, Saints h, Spurs a

If we dont pick up points from those around us, we will be in serious trouble.
I'm keeping the faith, think we will be ok.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by andy_14clark Mon 24 Feb 2014, 4:40 pm

For me Fulham and Cardiff are going down. Ourselves (Sunderland) & West Brom look like the other candidates to join them but I am certainly hoping Poyet can pull something out the bag. Especiailly with some of the matches we have to come:

> Sat 15 Mar H vs Crystal Palace
> Sat 22 Mar A vs Norwich City
> Mon 31 Mar H vs West Ham United
These next 3 games are going to be huge for us and we have to take at least 6 points IMO if you look at who we have after these

> Sat 05 Apr A vs Tottenham Hotspur
> Sat 12 Apr H vs Everton
> Sat 19 Apr A vs Chelsea
I would write these games off already, Arsenal showed that we struggle against big teams who like to keep possession.

> Sat 26 Apr H vs Cardiff City
Vital game, a win is a must

> Sat 03 May A vs Manchester United
Don't expect anything from this game either

> Sun 11 May H vs Swansea City
This game is looking huge up to now if both teams go the way they are, could be a relegation decided come the end.

But we also have to fit in Man City in the cup as well as playing them in the league (Away) after it was postponed. A FA cup quarter final vs Brighton/Hull the 8th March. And we have West Brom (H) and Liverpool (A) to be re-arranged.

Our home games are the ones we need to have our full focus on as they will decide if we stay up or go down.
andy_14clark
andy_14clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 08 May 2014, 12:50 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Robbie Savage wrote:"Norwich have only managed one win in the league since 7 December and I just think they are going to go down because their last four games look extremely difficult. They play Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"Cardiff's away form is one of the worst in the division. I think because of that they will not pick up enough points. I'd love for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to keep a Welsh team in the Premier League, but I just don't think they have enough quality.

"Finally, Fulham. They can't score goals and can't defend. They were woeful in the FA Cup in midweek and I believe they will go down.

"It is so tight at the bottom from 11th down. This season is very bizarre and the three teams that I think will go down could get a couple of wins and get out of it. I'll probably be wrong but I am going to stick with my chosen three!"

Savage's verdict: Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham

Bloody hell. Robbie Savage. Am assuming Norwich and the baggies don't win and lose 9-0 respectively to make the 3 point and 18 goal swing required happen. But, still. Bloody hell. Robbie Savage.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 08 May 2014, 2:17 pm

so savage was spot on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 May 2014, 3:20 pm

Olly wrote:Well I'm much more confident of survival now

Someone who wasn't spot on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 May 2014, 3:23 pm

John wrote:
Olly wrote:Well I'm much more confident of survival now

Someone who wasn't spot on.
Damned Robbie Savage getting something right
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by andy_14clark Fri 09 May 2014, 12:09 pm

I now love Robbie Savage. I can't believe we manage to escape with 1 game left considering we looked doomed 5 games ago considering our run in.

Poyet has got the miracle he needed. I just have to laugh at the "Mags relegation party" they were going to through for us and the fans of Norwich who told us to say hi to Ipswich for them. Can do it themselves now  laughing 
andy_14clark
andy_14clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2