The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ronda

+6
jimdig
Steffan
compelling and rich
westisbest
Pr4wn
Rinsure
10 posters

Go down

Ronda Empty Ronda

Post by Rinsure Wed 8 Jan - 14:58

So, Rowdy is on a quick turnaround to fight Sara McMann at UFC170 in Feb. Olympic medalist versus Olympic medalist - during the Winter Olympics. Smart move by the UFC.

Anyway - Rousey seems to be a polarising figure at the moment. Love her (few seem to) or hate her (as most seem to), she's coming close to ripping peoples arms off every time she fights. They all know what's coming, they must train for it over and over and over, and they still can't stop it. Miesha Tate did what no-one else has done thus far, and took Rousey past the first round (successfully defending one decent arm bar attempt in the process), but still succumbed in the end.

McMann is a great - great - wrestler, and it's going to be awesome to see how Rousey's judo matches up.

The UFC / Dana must have had faith in Ronda to beat Tate, as they already had the McMann poster drawn up at the UFC168 post-event. Shorn of Velasquez, Silva and GSP, Rousey is going to be one of their cash-cows in 2014. Assuming she keeps winning.

So, bit of a waffle, but: Ronda - love her or hate her?

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Ronda Empty Re: Ronda

Post by Pr4wn Wed 8 Jan - 15:10

Respect her as a fighter but she acts like a teenager.

I was rooting for Tate big time, really thought she had a chance with the triangle choke in the second round but it wasn't meant to be.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed 8 Jan - 15:21

Not sure how it came across in my original post, but I'm a bit of a Rousey fanboy.

Haven't seen any of the TUF programmes, and don't know too much of the back story, but I did like the fact that having kicked Tate's ass she then refused the proffered hand. They really don't like each other, and a handshake would just have been fake.

Loved seeing her toss Tate around like a rag doll, too. No disrespect to Tate, she hung with Rowdy longer than anyone so far.

Some great possibilities coming up - The McMann fight looks like a good one on paper, and I've been reading about another decent challenge possibility from outside the UFC at the moment in a lass called Holly Holm. Plus Cat when she's fit.

And then.... there is...

Cyborg...

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 8 Jan - 15:58

TUF is ok, but Ronda ruins it for me. Everything is so personal that it annoys me!

She should have accepted the handshake offer. Like her or not, you've just retained your title and someone has taken you almost three rounds which has never been done before. That should incur some respect but respect is something that Ronda does not have. It's not about personal insults, it's about the fight.

Also, I find it farcical that she can be sponsored by UFC. That's too fishy for me.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed 8 Jan - 16:06

Wasn't aware she was sponsored by UFC? That does sound iffy. Source?

Do any other of the Champs have similar deals?

The UFC will cash in on her unpopularity; it's not the same as indifference, people will buy the PPV to see her get smashed.

I just can't see it happening any time soon!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 8 Jan - 16:40

It's only her and Jon Jones that are sponsored by UFC. You can see it from what she wears when she fights!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 9 Jan - 14:10

I'm in the 'cant stand Ronda' camp.
She is pretty sexy though.
She is very talented, and think she will be champ for a long time.
Do like watching her fight.
Its just her attitude. On the show she was really bitchy.

Do like Miesha, comes across as a nice lady, could do alot better than Carroway: Wink 

Really rooted for her to beat Ronda.
She looked good in the stand up, who knows, if she could have kept it standing, could have knocked Ronda out.

Was'nt to be.

Damn she looks good in Fitness Gurls magazine: Very Happy

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 11 Jan - 13:53

rinsure if you like ronda i suggest not watching the last TUF series, she somes across very poorly on it and tate comes across much better.

she may be annoying out of the octagon but inside you have to admire her, she's a beast

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Mon 13 Jan - 13:00

Yeah, I'm not into the reality TV thing, so I won't be watching TUF.

I gather she didn't come over well, but there was some suggestion that the editing was less than favorable. Not that I'm a Rousey apologist!

Can't wait for the McMann fight!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 15 Nov - 9:53

Delighted to hear the news this morning thT Holm was the new champ.

Just watched the fight.

Good finish from Holm.
Really pleased for her.

Never been a fan of Ronda. Dont like the way she conducts herself.
Its what she needed, felt she was getting to big her for her boots, dont care how good she is.

She struggled big time in the fight.

Talk of a re match.

Would like to see Holm v Tate.

Well done Holly.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Nov - 13:39

I stayed up to watch the fight and I'm not even and MMA fan

Ronda got KTFO

The hype train is well and truly over

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 15 Nov - 20:46

Enjoyed the fight too. Although I didn't have any ill will towards rousey, it's great to see a bubble burst in such dramatic fashion. Holm was confident that her standup game was better than rouseys. She obviously spent her camp spoiling takedowns. Good on her, rousey got smashed, Back turned, kick to the head. Arm bar that.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 Nov - 9:12

I'm glad she lost purely because of all the hype that Rousey's standup has been getting. For her to say that she could compete with professional boxers was ridiculous and she got humiliated. Thinking that you can stand and bang with a former world kickboxing champion when you have so many holes in your boxing deserves the result she got.

Very happy for Holm. She was clinical.

Also, had to laugh at the UFC advertising their new video game in the fights beforehand. Rousey on the cover and she's not even champ. GG.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 16 Nov - 9:48

Haven't been watching UFC very long but that was a pretty one sided battering - even excluding the KO Rousey was all over the place in the first round.

Interesting Dana is looking at a straight rematch but it's hard to see watching that to see it going any different - Holm was a different level at striking, able to tag Rhonda at will and also seemed bigger and stronger in the clinches.

What does Dana do here, will they pull some skulduggery to get the belt off Holm - seems a really bad piece of matchmaking by Dana White and will cost the UFC a lot of money if they can't get the belt back on Rhonda.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 Nov - 9:51

Apparently she's got a broken jaw and has had to have it wired shut!

Should stop her mouthing off about how amazing she is.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Nov - 10:32

Be a test of Rousey's character to see how she handles this defeat but very poor fight from Rousey. Seems to have been fighting angry which is always a bad sign. Zero head movement, getting tagged with straight lead lefts at will and looked utterly shattered after one round. Telegraphed her own shots and for me, the telling moment for the fight wasn't Rhonda getting KO'd, it was her swinging wildly at Holm, Holm ducking underneath leaving Rousey on one knee facing the wrong way. She looked like an absolute novice and, like her or not, we know she's better than that.

Holm clearly got under her skin during the build-up and from then on it was just a matter of Holly keeping a cool head and sticking to a game plan. Reminded me a bit of Nigel Benn vs Michael Watson. Benn swinging for the fences, Watson taking it all and finishing an exhausted Benn with a stiff jab.

Another of Dana's shining lights falls from Grace....all it needs now is for McGregor to get beaten next month and Dana has to start from scratch...again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 Nov - 10:52

In being the aggressor, Rousey should also have tried to rotate the fight in the opposite direction. Making Holm move to her right was just stupid.

And also, after the first round her coach was telling her what an amazing job she'd been doing!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 16 Nov - 11:55

Great post Dave. Rousey falling swinging, while holm ducked said it all. I watched the post fight conference. White was totally sick. He couldn't conceal it, it was great. Holm was delayed for drug testing, I really hope she doesn't get popped.

Holm winning is a nightmare for them, she's not marketable, she's 34, quiet and down to earth. A rematch will be huge, but there is nothing to suggest ronda can do any better. Holm completely out classed her. Better footwork, straight punches down the pipe vs wild haymakers, a whole Arsenal of kicking ability. She seemed stronger in the clinches.

I'd guess Holms camp was almost 100% takedown defence, being 100% confident in her standup game. Rouseys/ rouseys teams arrogance led them to believe they could compete in a standup fight.

The defeat was so total, it'll be incredibly difficult for ronda to come back at all.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 16 Nov - 11:59

Just wish I knew more about MMA Laugh 11/1 for a Holm win.

Funny thing was that watching one of the UFC build up programs I nudged Ms SoF and said this is the hardest women in the world, ends every fight within 30secs, blah blah blah and she said 'lets watch it then'. I said 'it not on until Sat bight so we'll watch it Sunday morning.'

Whilst the fight is on she said 'you sure shes not the one in the white Laugh .

To be honest, she seems rattled at the weigh and it was a complete contrast to her previous fight when it was Beth screaming at her while she remain composed. You could after 30 secs on wasn't going to be her night.

Made up for Holly.........and boxing.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 16 Nov - 17:24

like others im glad she got knocked down a peg and just to stop the over hyping of her. not seen dana's interview but will have to catch it just to see his face

probably disagree though that she will struggle to win in a rematch, think she believed her own hype in this and tried standing against the better boxer. stick back to her basics and get holm to the ground and think she'll be favourite (especially considering the way ufc is judged and how much they need her to win). running head first into those straight lefts weren't the best tactic either. she needs to set up the takedowns but the small time the fight was on the ground she wasnt far from that arm bar.

biggest test will be to her character, seen similar with brock where he was massively over hyped and never realy recovered from the beat down cain gave him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Nov - 20:23

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Just wish I knew more about MMA Laugh 11/1 for a Holm win.

Funny thing was that watching one of the UFC build up programs I nudged Ms SoF and said this is the hardest women in the world, ends every fight within 30secs, blah blah blah and she said 'lets watch it then'. I said 'it not on until Sat bight so we'll watch it Sunday morning.'

To be honest, she seems rattled at the weigh and it was a complete contrast to her previous fight when it was Beth screaming at her while she remain composed. You could after 30 secs on wasn't going to be her night.

Been a few quick stoppages lately...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Nov - 22:01

[quote="Soldier_Of_Fortune"]Just wish I knew more about MMA Laugh 11/1 for a Holm win.

[/q
uote]

I watched the weigh in and thought the same thing though I didn't expect 'that' result. She put herself under so much pressure for this fight, almost taking it personally that Holm was stepping in against her. As Dave said she fought angry, never a good idea and burnt up a lot of nervous energy and was gassed going into the 2nd round. With hindsight a recipe for disaster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 18 Nov - 10:20

The coaches have to take responsibility here. Not only must they have been firing her up before the fight, they also pressed her into believing her own hype about her striking. Clearly, it was nowhere near good enough but even after she got battered in the first round, her coach was telling her how brilliant she'd been.

No fighter should ever go into a bout thinking they're invincible but both Ronda and her coaches bought into the hype.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 18 Nov - 16:09

Both strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey have been given mandatory six-month medical suspensions

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Nov - 10:16

Pr4wn wrote:The coaches have to take responsibility here. Not only must they have been firing her up before the fight, they also pressed her into believing her own hype about her striking. Clearly, it was nowhere near good enough but even after she got battered in the first round, her coach was telling her how brilliant she'd been.

No fighter should ever go into a bout thinking they're invincible but both Ronda and her coaches bought into the hype.

Yeah was a bit odd to say the least, obviously you need to put confidence in your fighter after a bad round but to say that!

Yes her team do have a lot to answer to for the loss, clearly there was no game plan going in and at this level that is crucial. Ronda should also have been able to adapt to the situation instead she was a fish out of water.

Just came across this podcast with her ex boyfriend Brendan Schuab, brings up some very good points about Ronda & the fight as well as womens mma, the whole UFC hype machine and who they have left as the big name out there.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Ronda_s_Ex_BF_Brendan_Schuab_Speaks_She_Looked_Ridiculous_She_Believed_Her_Own_Hype/10113539?from=main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Nov - 11:43

Fernando wrote:Both strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey have been given mandatory six-month medical suspensions
Although the caveat is that they are cleared to fight asap if they provide a medical report within 30 days proving they have no long lasting effects however Jedrzejczyk is believed to have suffered a broken hand which would rule her out for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down