The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on New Clubs

5 posters

Go down

Advice on New Clubs Empty Advice on New Clubs

Post by Nay Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Good Evening Everyone

I took up playng golf regularly about 3 years ago and purchased a set of Golden bear starter clubs 2 years ago as wasnt sure if the new hobby would last.

However here i am and still playing, i am now looking to invest in new clubs now i am confident they will be used regularly.

Despite the confidence in them being used it will still be a big purchase and am looking for advice on best way to choose.

All i know at the moment is i am looking for high handicapper friendly clubs lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

King Regards

Nay

Nay

Back to top Go down

Advice on New Clubs Empty Re: Advice on New Clubs

Post by golfermartin Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 pm

I would say go for what you like the look of, can afford and have them custom fitted. Also go somewhere that will give good advice.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:41 am

As a high handicapper, you are going to improve. Therefore I would recommend that you purchase a 'brand-name' set now, so that they will retain some re-sale value, for when you next want to upgrade. Ebay is always a good place to start looking, and will give you a good idea of how much things are going to cost.

good luck

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for the advice guys

Can anyone in the edinburgh area recommend anywhere they have had good service.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 pm

As for the edinburgh area in my experience the choice is limited. The main options are american golf (braid hills driving range and near big tesco in corstorphine) and the scottish golf centre on seafield road (opposite cat and dog home).

When the Scottish golf centre was nevada bobs they used to have a good selection of second hand clubs which might be a good option if you plan another upgrade in a year or so. Neither the scottish golf centre or the amercan golf in corstorphine have a proper driving range to hit the clubs before you buy them. The braid hills one does of course.

A good tactic might be to hit some of the models you like at the braid hills shop and then go home and find a second hand equivalent on ebay. There may of course be pro shops at the various clubs in the area and out by east lothian where you could make a few calls to see if they stock what you are looking for.

In the past I have found the custom fitting at american golf to be quite poor as they miraculously seem to recommend everyone use the standard club set up.

Somewhere where I have heard you can get a decent custom fit for titliest is at kings acre golf club, near bonnyrigg/lasswade.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks

Thats the only 3 places i could think of.

Thanks for the heads up on american golf as i am in there often due to it being next to pc world and mcdonalds (computers and eating being my other hobbies lol)

As always you guys have been a great help

Cheers

P.S like kings acre as a course, thats where my work has a yearly comp.

Makes a nice difference from carricknowe

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:00 pm

lots of folk seem to be changing their clubs at this time of year. i've noticed a couple of sets of 2nd hands at our pro shop and also discounted ones in the last few weeks. might be worth touring a few club pro shops at clubs in the area, you never know you might just find the perfect ones for you.

to be honest i tend to avoid american golf myself. i've always felt as a discount store they offer surprisingly few genuine discounts! did buy a 2ball putter once but that was a purchase to forget!!

best shop i've every been for variety of 2nd hand irons is inverness golf club, closely followed by the golf centre in inverness. definitely been less of a market in the last few years though which is a shame.

good luck,

btw, carrickknowe is a great wee course - the scene of my best ever round!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 pm

i've heard kingsacre are good too. quite fancy a new set of titleists myself but may need to re-mortgage to make that happen!! range there is decent too - i've been there a few times over the last few weeks. i've found the targets have been especially useful for practicing with my new wedges.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Bam bam

I think many, including me, often change equipment at this time of year because we have massive withdrawal symptoms and need something to fill the void of not playing. I tend to read about a new club and think they will improve my set. At the moment though I am happy with everything in my set other than my putter. Probably at some point I would like to move to a scotty cameron, may a classic california if you are feeling kind LJ.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm

know the feeling mac!, had to replace my woods early last season as i bust the faces of both on the range. also was fortunate to be able to replace my wedges with a voucher i got at the end of the year. my irons that i bought 2nd hand 9 years ago are starting to look pretty dated in comparison! as for scotty's, they are fantastic. the kind of club you can see sticking in your bag for years and years to come, and therefore an excellent investment.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Went to scottish Golf centre, where quite good.

Putter, irons and fairway woods bought and was custom fitted, am slightly upright.

Couldnt decide on a driver so decided to leave it and look around some more, ( did discover i stand to close to the ball with driver tho so not all bad)

just need to wait for them to arrive now,

was trying out putters, when the first one i picked up was to heavy, missus went around looking and feeling putters and came back with a nice putter, she was a bit put out that i declined her choice after so much effort till i showed her the £179 prce tag lol

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down