The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future.

+14
ShahenshahG
Sangakkara
Mad for Chelsea
VTR
Duty281
shivfan
Pal Joey
KO-KING
msp83
kingraf
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
alfie
KP_fan
Biltong
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future. - Page 4 Empty ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future.

Post by Biltong Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Having read that the "big three" are proposing a "take over" of sorts of the ICC, I ave a number of questions.

Firstly let me admit I have no clue how the aiZcC is run, how they earn revenue (apart from ICC events) or how each member nation contributes financially to thr ICC.

Some questions.

I am told that the BCCI brings in 80% of the revenue of the ICC. How?

Is the BCCI therefor more powerful than the ICC as recent events showed where the SA tour was basically dictated by the BCCI?

How much control does the ICC really have nad how is it that tours can be changed at a whim if one of the "powerful" three decide something doesn't suit them?

Some observations.

Over the recent past I have seen some things happen that makes me believe that Cricket as a sport is in decline due to these power struggles and D...measuring contests.

I amy be wrong so please feel free to educate me. The BCCI had an issue with Lorgat from SA being appointed to CSA board, and in turn they got peeved off for some reason about CSA releasing the tour schedule "prematurely"

This brought along a shortened test series (I heard also that Tendulkar's retirement test in India had some effect on the tour) which by all accounts must have been a big financial loss for SA.

I also heard that CSA was trying to hasten a quick test series against Pakistan prior to the India series and the BCCI had something to say about that as well.

The Sri lanka series earlier in the year which was supposed to be a test series for SA was also cancelled in favour of a few ODI's.

Since becoming number one in Tests, it at least seems to me that SA cricket has been thrown curveballs for some unknown reason.

The Proteas only played 9 trsts this year and when you consider they were supposed to play another 4 tests at least this year, I am getting the idea that South African cricket is being undermined.

More questions.

If I understand all this correctly, once the BCCI, CA and the ECB take control, there will also be tiers, whcih will have a promotion relegation system, however the three "big" unions will be exempt of being relegated?

I also read that the BcCI and other two are suggesting that revenue (which is still a mystery to me) will be split in accordance with their contribution to the IcC and therefor the other cricket boards will most likely go bankrupt over this.

How is this in the best interest of all the other countries?

Do these big three realise without all the other countries interest and repetitive competition between these three nations only will come to a stand still if all the other members decide to pull away and start up their own board?

Can anyone clarify some of these issues as I am trying to understand what is happening and the consequences of it?

Thanks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future. - Page 4 Empty Re: ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future.

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Jan 2014, 8:22 am

Unanimously agreed is perhaps the incorrect terminology here.

"An ICC press release announced a set of principles which were described as "unanimously supported."

1. Original Two-tiers with promotion and relegation of Nos 9 &10 ranked team, with BCCI, CA & ECB exempt from relegation.

New principle There will be an opportunity for all Members to play all formats of cricket on merit, with participation based on meritocracy; no immunity to any country, and no change to membership status.

2. Original Creation of a Test Cricket fund to be distributed among BCB, ZC, NZC, SLC, PCB and WICB.

New principle Test Cricket fund money to be available to South Africa as well

3. Original An Executive Committee (ExCo) to have four members, include three permanent representatives from CSA, BCCI and ECB who would share an annual rotating chairmanship.

New principle The establishment of an ExCo and Financial & Commercial Affairs Committee (F&CA) to provide leadership at an operational level, with five members, including BCCI, CA and ECB representatives

The way I read this is everyone agrees reform is necessary, however the demands of the original proposal itself has not been agreed unanimously and it has been agree to have further discussions on how to move forward.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future. - Page 4 Empty Re: ECB, BCCI and CA to control cricket in future.

Post by KP_fan Wed 29 Jan 2014, 8:46 am

Biltong wrote:Unanimously agreed is perhaps the incorrect terminology here.

"An ICC press release announced a set of principles which were described as "unanimously supported."

1. Original Two-tiers with promotion and relegation of Nos 9 &10 ranked team, with BCCI, CA & ECB exempt from relegation.

New principle There will be an opportunity for all Members to play all formats of cricket on merit, with participation based on meritocracy; no immunity to any country, and no change to membership status.

2. Original Creation of a Test Cricket fund to be distributed among BCB, ZC, NZC, SLC, PCB and WICB.

3. Original An Executive Committee (ExCo) to have four members, include three permanent representatives from CSA, BCCI and ECB who would share an annual rotating chairmanship.

New principle The establishment of an ExCo and Financial & Commercial Affairs Committee (F&CA) to provide leadership at an operational level, with five members, including BCCI, CA and ECB representatives

The way I read this is everyone agrees reform is necessary, however the demands of the original proposal itself has not been agreed unanimously and it has been agree to have further discussions on how to move forward.

there was no original proposal published .......only speculations based on leaked information.

this is the first version officially released.
we can spilt hair with words.....I do not see any disagreement,
I do see the world unanimously.

all is well that means
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Jan 2014, 8:59 am

KP_fan wrote:

there was no original proposal published .......only speculations based on leaked information.

all is well that means
Not sure how you can say that, if you look at the original principles and the new principles they are significantly different.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:01 am

Oh what rubbish!

It wasn't "based on leaked information" it was based on the actual proposal which had been presented to the full members on the 9th of January.
That was the proposal which was due to be voted on at this meeting but was dropped when it was clear it wouldn't pass.

The intel I have from the meeting is that "unanimously agreed" is a bit of a red herring. What actually happened is that there were heated discussions, the big 3 tried to force their proposals through but failed, and in the end it was agreed that the principles outlined will be studied in more detail an another proposal drawn up for the next meeting.
The story has now broken on cricinfo, so I am not revealing confidential information.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/713667.html

There will be further discussions on the 9th of Feb.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:52 am

KP_fan wrote:
shivfan wrote:"Recognition of the need for strong leadership of the ICC, involving leading Members, which will involve BCCI taking a central leadership responsibility.
A need to recognise the varying contribution of Full Members to the value of ICC events through the payment of 'contribution costs'."

That says it all...this is a sad day for cricket in countries outside India, England and Australia....

It's all unanimously agreed. So no one should complain....because the members themselves have no complains.
It seemed like a more a media stirred storm in a tea-cup
Media storm in a tea-cup? Really?
 Shocked 
Just because some spineless WICB directors toe the line with the hope of getting some handouts doesn't mean I have to swallow what the BCCI, CA and ECB are trying to ram down my throat.

And on the WICB, this is their attempt to justify their action - or inaction:

http://www.windiescricket.com/news/wicb-statement-support-icc-key
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

Biltong wrote:  
KP_fan wrote:

all is well that means
Not sure how you can say that, if you look at the original principles and the new principles they are significantly different.

The original principles?
There were only one original principles tabled to the members at the ICC meeting yesterday....

we know there was no official release that anything was tabled before.

unofficially....anyone can assume anything based on speculation......CI is the guilty media site for stirring it up.....but it sells

Last edited by KP_fan on Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

Mike Selig wrote:

The intel I have from the meeting is that "unanimously agreed" is a bit of a red herring. What actually happened is that there were heated discussions, the big 3 tried to force their proposals through but failed, and in the end it was agreed that the principles outlined will be studied in more detail an another proposal drawn up for the next meeting.
The story has now broken on cricinfo, so I am not revealing confidential information.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/713667.html

There will be further discussions on the 9th of Feb.

I would replace the underlined with gossip/ rumors.

the only formal version released by ICC.....were the principles tabled and unanimously agreed.

No disputes either reported by ICC or heard from any of the member after the meeting and formal announcement.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

shivfan wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
shivfan wrote:"Recognition of the need for strong leadership of the ICC, involving leading Members, which will involve BCCI taking a central leadership responsibility.
A need to recognise the varying contribution of Full Members to the value of ICC events through the payment of 'contribution costs'."

That says it all...this is a sad day for cricket in countries outside India, England and Australia....

It's all unanimously agreed. So no one should complain....because the members themselves have no complains.
It seemed like a more a media stirred storm in a tea-cup
Media storm in a tea-cup?  Really?
 Shocked 
Just because some spineless WICB directors toe the line with the hope of getting some handouts doesn't mean I have to swallow what the BCCI, CA and ECB are trying to ram down my throat.

And on the WICB, this is their attempt to justify their action - or inaction:

http://www.windiescricket.com/news/wicb-statement-support-icc-key

WI does not have a problem and their benefits are obvious and stated below...the storm was indeed in the media

Relevant details specific to West Indies Cricket:

· Based on new proposed system of ICC revenue sharing for the upcoming eight year cycle (2015-2023) WICB projects to receive at least 100% increase on the previous eight year cycle (2006-2014).

· Annual Test Match Fund which is specifically to support Full Members other than India, England and Australia. This will allow the WICB a financial buffer in the hosting of Test cricket against unprofitable teams.

· Tours of India, England and Australia to the West Indies are the most commercially viable for the WICB and a system of bi-lateral agreements for tours and series will allow the WICB greater opportunity to enhance its financial position to the benefit of West Indies cricket.

· Increased WICB revenue through ICC revenue sharing system will allow the WICB to realistically examine the possibility of a menu of initiatives and expansions which include but are not limited to expanded regional cricket season, player development, expanded regional cricket season, expanded West Indies A Team programme, match officials and umpires development and pitch preparation among other areas.

WICB Media Release.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:04 am

I have absolutely no interest in debating anything with you KPF as you well know.

I am confident that the intel I get is accurate given where it comes from. I really don't care if you think it is just rumours and gossip.

The position paper originally tabled and since withdrawn was very real, and is readily available online. What has followed has been a saving-face exercise from one faction and a delaying tactic from the other. There are no winners from the meetings so far. Cricket will undoubtedly be the loser yet.

From my perspective it is not a media storm, but rather a revolt by fans which has forced the issue. However I don't hold my breath, because as far as I can see all it will take is for the big 3 to offer enough sweeteners to the 4 rebels (indeed 2 of the rebels) and they will back the (new, allegedly watered down) proposals.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:56 am

Its already on, The BCB are assured of no relegation and retaining their test status, and they are OK.
SLC might get to host the IPL this season, a few more ODI tournaments involving India, that part should also be fine. They need only 8 to carry the day, so even if CSA and PCB are not joining in the bandwagon, that won't matter, and already they have dropped the excluvist clauses, and certain committees are opened up for all member representation, and CSA should also get the Test Match Fund. With tht, the proposal should carry.
All that remains to be seen now is whether something good will come out of the saga. The ECB chief had talked about the possibilities of an England Ireland test match in this ICC revenue circle. I am not too hopeful, but I want it to be true.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 30 Jan 2014, 7:15 am

Yep, this proposal although slightly watered down is going to be accepted, the smaller nations' votes are easy to buy, I hope they realise once the power is given away they will be at the mercy of the "cartel" from then on in.

What happens after 2023?

By then the new negotiated broadcasting deals will renegotiated and everything will then be up to the "Cartel"

They bought themselves 8 years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:03 am

I am interested in knowing how the power is split between ECB, CA and BCCI.

earlier when in disagreement BCCI could garner support from the entire test playing nations community.

Now the decisions are with the 3 and two out of 3 on one side could easily corner BCCI
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:18 am

Yep as I pointed out right back at the start for some issues this may actually tip the power away from BCCI
But the worry will still remain that they can pull the "our ball" card again.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yep as I pointed out right back at the start for some issues this may actually tip the power away from BCCI

BCCI will look stupid if they break from the BIG three in case of disagreement.
but do they care about looking stupid ?

It is quite possible they might do this in future......because the entire long draw expensive exercise that is ongoing was to teach SA a lesson for bringing Lorgat....is my premise.

And if my premise is true....a couple of years later BCCI might be offended by ECB and to teach them a lesson run the same drama all over again....to oust ECB and bring in the flavor of that month like CSA back.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:28 am

KP_fan wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yep as I pointed out right back at the start for some issues this may actually tip the power away from BCCI

It is quite possible they might do this in future......because the entire long draw expensive exercise that is ongoing was to teach SA a lesson for bringing Lorgat....is my premise.

And if my premise is true....a couple of years later BCCI might be offended by ECB and to teach them a lesson run the same drama all over again....to oust ECB and bring in the flavor of that month like CSA back.
The ECB is already planning for India's tour of England, not the one in 2014, but the one in 2026. That is beyond the 8 year cycle. The thugs have all found some serious love for each other.
Do the BCCI care for their image? The last thing in the world that the hooligans really care about!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:34 am

msp83 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

The ECB is already planning for India's tour of England, not the one in 2014, but the one in 2026. That is beyond the 8 year cycle. The thugs have all found some serious love for each other.
Do the BCCI care for their image? The last thing in the world that the hooligans really care about!.

They are not hooligans but a business minded ruthless machine...with little care for the gentle/sensitive/emotional heritage that goes with cricket for many....but rather treats this multi.billion dollar cricket industry with the same detached ruthlessness as America or Russia might treat their business interests in Afganistan and Iraq
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

They are not hooligans but a business minded ruthless machine...with little care for the gentle/sensitive/emotional heritage that goes with cricket for many....but rather treats this multi.billion dollar cricket industry with the same detached ruthlessness as America or Russia might treat their business interests in Afganistan and Iraq
Would have agreed had they taken meaningful action against Srinivasan and Gurunath....... At times they behave like a mafia.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

msp wrote:Would have agreed had they taken meaningful action against Srinivasan and Gurunath....... At times they behave like a mafia.

that is an internal matter and I was talking about their approach on international matters.

Internally it is rumored that Sirnivasan donated a "Huuuggeee Package" to "Sonia-ji " for saving his son-in-law and his own "Kursi"
and that too for only one year...as constitutionally he cannot be re-elcted unless he does a Putin and amends the constitution
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp wrote:Would have agreed had they taken meaningful action against Srinivasan and Gurunath....... At times they behave like a mafia.

that is an internal matter and I was talking about their approach on international matters.

Internally it is rumored that  Sirnivasan donated a "Huuuggeee Package" to "Sonia-ji " for saving his son-in-law and his own "Kursi"
and that too for only one year...as constitutionally he cannot be re-elcted unless he does a Putin and amends the constitution
Yeah, September can't come soon enough!. Getting the constitution changed is a very difficult process, a lot more difficult one than staying on the basis of support from the zonal associations. But the way he's driving this ICC thing, he's looking for more avenues of control. He might become the next ICC president.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

msp wrote:He might become the next ICC president......

I think his game plan is to put a  proxy dummy ( like Dimitri Medvedev backed by his votes) as the BCCI head....to still exercise control on BCCI...and take some "created" super-position in ICC

However controlling BCCI is important...because that is where the power to control the world lies for now....and not in ICC
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

KP_fan wrote:

I think his game plan is to put a  proxy dummy ( like Dimitri Medvedev backed by his votes) as the BCCI head....to still exercise control on BCCI...and take some "created" super-position in ICC

However controlling BCCI is important...because that is where the power to control the world lies for now....and not in ICC
There were indications in the media that Arun Jaytley might become the BCCI president ones Srinivasan goes. If Jaytley's party gets to lead the next union government and if he indeed goes on to become the BCCI chief, it won't be easy for Srinivasan. But if it is someone like Sanjay Patel, then Srinivasan will be in control.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:31 pm

msp83 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

There were indications in the media that Arun Jaytley might become the BCCI president ones Srinivasan goes. If Jaytley's party gets to lead the next union government and if he indeed goes on to become the BCCI chief, it won't be easy for Srinivasan. But if it is someone like Sanjay Patel, then Srinivasan will be in control.

True..if BJP come to power in India...they would want to take over the entire BCCI power in reality.
but the chances are less in my view that BJP can form it's govt because of it's rightist image....it's most likely a 3rd front.
but now we are digressing too far from cricket Smile
No Srinivasan at all is good for Indian and world cricket......not so much for Dhoni thouhg
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 2:17 pm

No Srinivasan at all is indeed good for the game of cricket. If he could take out his pals Mr. Clarke and Mr. Edwards along with him, that'll be even better.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jan 2014, 3:52 pm

This will all go horribly wrong, and blow up in their faces big time, and could potentially ruin international test match cricket!

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

Here is what the BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel has to say about the January 28th meeting........
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/714187.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

There are reports that the ICC is looking at a partial relocation, and Surrey CCC is prepared to accommodate them at the oval.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/714207.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jan 2014, 8:40 pm

with ECB firmly hand in glove with BCCI...and the IPL-malice-bearing_flower gone.......an easier route would be paved for English players to participate in IPL
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 04 Feb 2014, 4:59 am

all would be well now

CSA-BCCI impasse likely to end
Firdose Moonda and Amol Karhadkar
February 3, 2014

Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, at the annual conference, Kuala Lumpur, June 26, 2012
If CSA support the ICC revamp, Haroon Lorgat could resume attending ICC meetings and CSA's dealings with BCCI ©
Cricket South Africa and BCCI have resumed discussions about a possible patch-up that may result in the former supporting the ICC revamp in exchange of the CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat being reintegrated into top administration.

If the discussions end positively, then it is possible that not only could CSA vote in favour of the proposed ICC overhaul but also that Lorgat resumes attending ICC meetings and CSA's dealings with their Indian counterpart. More importantly, India and South Africa could be seen in action against each more frequently than over the last few years.

While a South Africa cricket insider claimed that the BCCI had made "an offer" to CSA, a BCCI administrator maintained they haven't "offered anything to anyone" for supporting the Big Three (the boards of India, England and Australia) proposal that is likely to be voted on during a special ICC Board meeting on Dubai over the weekend.

The BCCI insider, on the other hand, conceded that CSA and Lorgat are keen to patch up with the BCCI and have informally approached them. Since the decision on Lorgat is an "ICC resolution", the BCCI "cannot do anything", according to him. Though it couldn't be ascertained independently whether ICC has passed a resolution against Lorgat, his role in former ICC head of legal David Becker's statements during the BCCI-CSA impasse is being probed by an independent ICC panel.

CSA's turnaround in their stance is significant since they were the first full member to oppose the Big Three proposal that would alter the dynamics of international cricket's governance. CSA, in a statement ahead of the January 28 ICC Board meeting, had appealed to the ICC president Alan Isaac to withdraw the proposal.

In the course of informal discussions, CSA and BCCI are believed to be discussing more bilateral series. The CSA chief executive's appointment and the allegedly unilateral announcement of the itinerary for India's tour to South Africa led to the relations between the two boards reaching an all-time low. The BCCI agreed for a curtailed tour only after CSA withdrew Lorgat from all the ICC and BCCI-related matters.

This breakdown in relations between the BCCI and CSA was followed by the Big Three leaving CSA in the dark about the proposed revamp as well as the sideline meetings around the ICC Board meeti
ng in Dubai last week.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:42 am

Interesting development. That coule leave the PCB as the only board still opposing the proposals.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Feb 2014, 7:09 am

Can anyone explain to me what Lorgat did to upset the BCCI?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 04 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm

Biltong wrote:Can anyone explain to me what Lorgat did to upset the BCCI?

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2014-01-23-cricket-the-mystery-of-the-lorgat-witch-hunt-unravelled/#.UvE8WPs9LIU

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:11 pm

Thanks mate, now I have all the convictin that CSA must fight this tooth and nail, even if they have to stand alone and we go back to the isolation years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:47 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/10623252/Big-Threes-ICC-power-grab-seems-to-be-entirely-motivated-by-money-says-Lord-Wolff.html

Lord forgotten of Woolf's view on the proposals. Hard to argue too much.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Feb 2014, 10:13 am

Thanks for that, Mike. Agreed.

Btw - look forward to you handing in your latest homework today on the Pietersen thread.  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:55 am

ICC Board approves the revamp...no votes against.
Lanka and Pak did not have the courgae to vote against.......they abstained.
CSA is on board Smile

Indian TV channels is reporting that Srinivasan will become ICC presdient in July.....good riddance from BCCI Smile

SINGAPORE: The International Cricket Council board Saturday approved wide-ranging structural and governance reforms despite complaints that they place too much power in the hands of the "Big Three" of India, England and Australia.

The proposals were passed after gaining the support of eight of the ICC's 10 full members, with Sri Lanka and Pakistan -- who have both been vocally opposed -- abstaining, a spokesman said.

The package resolution, passed at a meeting in Singapore, includes setting up a five-man executive council with seats reserved for India, England and Australia, the sport's leading financial powers.

And N. Srinivasan of India, which contributes the lion's share of cricket's global revenues, will chair the ICC board from the middle of this year.

"I think it was a very good meeting, there was general agreement and all very satisfactory," said England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke.

South Africa had previously opposed the reforms, which met with virulent opposition after they were debated at a board meeting in Dubai last month.

But South African board member Chris Nenzani was one of the eight to vote in favour at a luxury hotel in Singapore on Saturday. He did not answer questions about the meeting as he left.

Members of the cricket establishment have lined up to criticise the proposals, with Imran Khan calling them "colonial" and Lord Harry Woolf, author of a report into the ICC's governance, saying they were "entirely motivated by money".

The reforms passed on Saturday include setting up a Test Cricket Fund available to all full members except India, England and Australia, and a move to make it easier for other countries to gain Test status.

The proposed World Test Championship, which was due to debut in 2017, has been axed with the Champions Trophy -- an eight-country tournament in the one-day format -- continuing in 2017 and 2021.

"It proved impossible to come up with a format for a four-team finals event in Test cricket that fits the culture of Test cricket and preserves the integrity of the format," an ICC release said.

And a new financial model will recognise members' contributions in terms of finance, history and on-field performances, a moved aimed at providing "long-term certainty of participation" as they negotiate TV and sponsorship deals.

"There were eight full members who were in a position to support the resolution today and the two who have abstained have pledged to further discuss the issues with an aim to reaching unanimous approval over the coming weeks," said ICC president Alan Isaac.

Sri Lanka's Nishantha Ranatunga told AFP he would now discuss the proposals with his board, while Pakistan representative Zaka Ashraf declined to talk to media.

- AFP/ac
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:01 am

The end of world cricket as we know it....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/717377.html

I'm quite prepared to let India, England and Australia play among themselves.  Most Caribbean folks have walked away from cricket, and the number one sports in the region are now athletics and football.  At least those governing bodies know how to respect the less wealthy participating nations....

Cricket used to be my number one sport.  Not any more....

Congrats, BCCI...you can keep cricket to yourself now.  I don't want it!
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:13 am

Cricket, proper cricket at any rate, appears to be on its last legs.

It's all about the money.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:15 am

this is Ireland's chance of beating bangladesh....and palying test cricket.
if they can get the game on a green seaming pitch......they can defnitely beat BD.
Will Rankin and Morgan be eligible to play for IRE ?

It was also decided that Associate Members would have a straightforward chance of playing Test cricket, with the winner of the next ICC Intercontinental Cup getting an opportunity to take part in a play-off against the bottom ranked full member. If the Associate Member wins that play-off, it would be granted Test status.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

Ah well, we'll watch cricket untill it eventually fails, CSA have now given total control away forever and will now be told when and where they will play.

Very disappointed and find it rather pathetic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:52 am

I actually concur with Shivfan - I can't be bothered to care anymore - The big three can keep their money - and I'll go hit the gym or watch the Lions lose some more at Ellis Park
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:11 am

Guess i'll follow kingraf and watch egg and spoon races.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

Does anyone know if this playoff for test status between the winner of the Intercontinental Cup and the bottom ranked test nation is a swap? (I.e if Bangladesh were to lose the playoff they would lose test status). Or if, say Ireland, won the playoff they would become an additional test nation?

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

Biltong wrote:Ah well, we'll watch cricket untill it eventually fails, CSA have now given total control away forever and will now be told when and where they will play.

what if SA saw that the deal when looked at in detail was to their country's benefit...

guaranteed, signed mutually binding contacts already given to them for bilateral tours by all big 3 nations?

Good quality cricket, guaranteed high revenue streams and an acceptance of it's board members by ICC......win-win-win....sweet deal for SA.

Pak and SL are bitter because they did not get as sweet bilateral deal(s) as SA got...yet they did not have the courage to vote against the motion...they must still be negotiating...their bargaining power severely weakened now that the resolution is through.

these board room corporate games, not understood by most of us because of the partial nature of the information available......inflamed by half baked journalists( especially CI) wearing  chimerical & egalitarian glasses will blow away soon.

and cricket will take the center-stage.....and it will be life as usual.....like it always was.

Last edited by KP_fan on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

Sangakkara wrote:Does anyone know if this playoff for test status between the winner of the Intercontinental Cup and the bottom ranked test nation is a swap? (I.e if Bangladesh were to lose the playoff they would lose test status). Or if, say Ireland, won the playoff they would become an additional test nation?

as i read it ...it will be a swap
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:14 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Biltong wrote:Ah well, we'll watch cricket untill it eventually fails, CSA have now given total control away forever and will now be told when and where they will play.

what if SA saw that the deal when looked at in detail was to their country's benefit...

guaranteed, signed mutually binding contacts already given to them for bilateral tours by all big 3 nations?

Good quality cricket, guaranteed high revenue streams and an acceptance of it's board members by ICC......win-win-win....sweet deal for SA.

Pak and SL are bitter because they did not get as sweet bilateral deal(s) as SA got...yet they did not have the courage to vote against the motion...they must still be negotiating...their bargaining power severely weakened now that the resolution is through.

these board room corporate games, not understood by most of us because of the partial nature of the information available......inflamed by half baked journalists( especially CI) wearing  chimerical & egalitarian glasses will blow away soon.

and cricket will take the center-stage.....and it will be life as usual.....like it always was.

The reason for my disappointment is about cricket as a whole, for me sport is about fair chance to all, not an inclusive group of countries isolating themselves as the elite.

I can see no way how the BCCI, ECB and CA is going to do anything that does not benefit them, or take control away from them, and that to me is the death of cricket.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

Billtong wrote:The reason for my disappointment is about cricket as a whole, for me sport is about fair chance to all, not an inclusive group of countries isolating themselves as the elite.

I can see no way how the BCCI, ECB and CA is going to do anything that does not benefit them, or take control away from them, and that to me is the death of cricket.

I see you are the lamenting a loss.
But what loss are you lamenting ?
Did this "fair chance equal to all and not an inclusive group" ever exist ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

The only thing that interests me here is that the associates now have a clearer path to test cricket. I don't think any side will be relegated. If Ireland win, then they would become an additional test nation. They managed to get the BCB support on the condition that no side will be relegated.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

And Srinivasan taking the ICC top job, I said its mostly about that right at the outset.......!.
Gurunath for CEO, anyone?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 08 Feb 2014, 1:02 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Billtong wrote:The reason for my disappointment is about cricket as a whole, for me sport is about fair chance to all, not an inclusive group of countries isolating themselves as the elite.

The BCCI, ECB and CA at least didn't have the power voted to them, everyone else now abdicated that power, how do you not see that?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 08 Feb 2014, 1:10 pm

Biltong wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

The BCCI, ECB and CA at least didn't have the power voted to them, everyone else now abdicated that power, how do you not see that?

it's not like ECB and CA are getting the power for the first time now

ECB and CA were for a long time nos. 1&2 .......
and then in recent times Nos 2&3 between them calling shots controlling / infleuncing the ICC but not so much to touch BCCI..
CA and ECB are merely holding on to their statuses
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next