The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You're the GM...

+4
sodhat
NYJ
BamBam
Good Golly I'm Olly
8 posters

Go down

You're the GM... Empty You're the GM...

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 24 Jan - 7:29

A little idea to get you thinking...

You're the GM of your team (Bucs for Pr4wn, Eagles GSC etc), what are your offseason moves? Assume you have to be serious and can't live in fantasy land. Trades have to be fair for both sides, and play to the cap (so no Larry Fitzgerald!).

Here's what I'd do as Patriots GM...

I must admit I have no idea about the draft, don't watch college, so I'll merely state positions I think we should draft, rather than names!

A list of our upcoming free agents:

LS Danny Aiken - No idea here, if we can get someone cheaper we will
RB LeGarrette Blount - Personally only want him on a team friendly deal, which I think he'll sign. Don't think he'll be paid elsewhere.
DE Andre Carter - On a minimum I'd have him as a depth guy
WR Austin Collie - Let him compete in camp, did do some nice things when given the chance I thought
WR Julian Edelman - Obviously would love to re-sign him, but have a feeling someone's gonna chuck a load of cash at him and he'll go.
LB Dane Fletcher - Again nice depth guy
TE Michael Hoomanawanui - Earnt a new deal, great blocking TE, did a very good job I thought.
TE Matthew Mulligan - Let him go
LB Brandon Spikes - I'd let him go. Pretty one dimensional, and Hightower definately did better at MLB in the two playoff games I thought so maybe his position
OL Will Svitek - If he's cheap would be decent depth
CB Aqib Talib - Gotta re-sign. Would give him a 3yr deal, incentive laden
C Ryan Wendell - Cut, get rid, yuck.
TE D.J. Williams - Get rid

Onto moves to make cap room...

Cut Sopoaga. Making 3.5 million next year!!!
Restructure Mankins, Wilfork and Kelly. See if we can get Arrington/Amendola too as well.
Maybe look at cutting someone like Adrian WIlson?
Sort out the Hernandez cap stuff, hopefully we get some cap relief from it

Draft wise...

Trade Mallett away for whatever we can get, and draft a young QB to sit under Brady as a potential takeover from Tom.
I'd like to see us draft TE and WR with our first two picks, then look to use a few on the interior OL. At the back end of the draft maybe pickup a developmental LB and DE. Can't say I know any names, or if there is a TE worthy of going high etc, so you guys can correct me here!

In free agency I'd look at these guys potentially...

TE - Scott Chandler - Always liked the look of him when we face the Bills, a pass catching option at TE if we don't wanna draft one.
CB - Munnerlyn or Tillman - Look to fit one of these in alongside Talib allowing Dennard to move to #3 and we have a potentially brilliant set of corners with able cover if Talib goes down.
WR - Eric Decker or Doug Baldwin (if we lose Edelman) - Love Decker, could be a great fit for us I think and Baldwin's underrated can make some big plays.

Other issues...

At DT I wouldn't look to bring anyone in. Let Wilfork and Kelly have a go coming back from injury, and Armstead by all reports is exciting as well. Then guys like Siliga and Chris Jones have done pretty well this year I think, so deserve a shot on the depth chart as does Vellano.

I'd keep Ridley. I like him as a runner. I'd probably look to give him a cheap extension, with incentives based on fumbling. Vereen should be extended too.

McCourty to be extended this offseason is a must for me. Been a revelation at FS, one of the best in the league I think.

And on a final note, next year Jamie Collins is gonna be a beast.

I'd like to line up something like this...

QB - Brady
RB - Ridley
WR - Decker
WR - Edelman
TE - Gronk
TE - Draft pick
LT - Solder
LG - Mankins - restructured
C - Connolly
RG - Draft pick or Cannon
RT - Vollmer

RE - Jones
DT - Wilfork
DT - Kelly
LE - Ninko
ILB - Mayo
MLB - Hightower
OLB - Collins
CB - Talib
CB - Munnerlyn/Tillman
FS - McCourty
SS - Wilson

Probably missed something major  Very Happy 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

You're the GM... Empty Re: You're the GM...

Post by BamBam Fri 24 Jan - 7:35

One Danny Amendola is who you've missed

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 24 Jan - 7:37

BamBam wrote:One Danny Amendola is who you've missed

Down the depth chart for me, not a starter. Tbh if we can't get him to restructure I'd consider cutting him/looking for a trade partner.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Fri 24 Jan - 10:06

New York Jets

First things first, get rid of the deadwood - Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie's cap number is just far too big for his production ($15m!) and nothing needs to be said about the other two.

Free Agency

Keep:

Austin Howard, RT
Calvin Pace, OLB
Nick Folk, K
Jeff Cumberland, TE
Willie Colon, OG
Leger Douzable, DE
Darrin Walls, CB
Ellis Lankster, CB
Isaiah Trufant, CB
Nick Bellore, CB

Howard, Pace, Folk and Cumberland have played relatively well and earned new deals (particularly the first three). Colon is there because we have no other options at OG and I'd rather not spend a high draft pick on one. Douzable and Walls are decent rotation players and I actually think Walls played well starting games when Milliner was dropped. Lankster, Trufant and Bellore are special team studs and the two CB's are decent depth too.

Get Rid:

Ed Reed, FS
Kellen Winslow, TE
Vladimir Ducasse, OG
Lex Hilliard, FB
Josh Cribbs, KR

Reed and Winslow are too old with nothing to add in 2014. Everyone's still waiting on the raw prospect Vlad Ducasse to come to fruition so hopefully he can try and do it on another team. Hilliard and Cribbs are poor players and we have better options on the current roster.

Target:

Fred Davis, TE - I'd imagine he'll be looking to move and he's better than Washington have made him out to be this year.
Dennis Pitta, TE - He's a reliable target over the middle and will help bring consistency to an inexperienced offense.
Anthony McCoy, TE - I was gutted when he got injured in the off-season. He's flashed talent and I think he can contribute well.

Golden Tate, WR - I like his game a lot and he can be an excellent number 2 matched up with a bonafide WR1.
Danario Alexander, WR - We should get a discounted price because of injury history but he's worth a 2 year easy-to-cut deal
Joe Morgan, WR - He's a RFA and has had trouble with injuries but there's a talented player in there and he's cheap as chips.

Jairus Byrd, S - We were very poor against the pass this year and Byrd can patrol the field picking off under pressure QB's.
Stevie Brown, S - Hopefully he can recover from his injury and I'd imagine the Giants will want to keep him but worth a shot.

Draft

Whatever we do, we must draft an offensive skill player in the first round. My dream draft (being realistic with round projections):

Round 1: Odell Beckham Jr, WR, LSU - WR1 and elite kick/punt returner. He is a home run waiting to happen.
Round 2: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech - Fluid mover and good recovery speed when he gets beaten at LOS (which is too much IMO).
Round 3a: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin - My favourite player. Route running, hands, big play ability and a stud WR2 in the NFL.
Round 3b: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon - One word, acceleration. Get the ball in his hands and let him go to work.
Round 4: David Fales, QB, San Jose State - He's accurate with an average arm. Will do well in a WCO that gets the ball out quickly.
Round 5: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon - He's athletic and talented. Take a shot with the off-field problems. Worked well for Burfict and Mathieu.
Rounds 6 + 7: Depth at OG, ILB, S and other best players available that can contribute to special teams

Final Roster

Only included starters and key role players (newbies in bold).

QB - Geno Smith, David Fales
RB - Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Mike Goodson, De'Anthony Thomas
WR1 - Odelll Beckham Jr, Stephen Hill
WR2 - David Nelson, Jared Abbrederis
WR3 - Jeremy Kerley, Joe Morgan
TE - Fred Davis, Jeff Cumberland, Colt Lyerla

OT - Austin Howard, D'Brickshaw Ferguson
OG - Brian Winters, Willie Colon
C - Nick Mangold

NT - Damon Harrison, Kenrick Ellis
DE - Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leger Douzable
OLB1 - Quinton Coples
OLB2 - Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes
ILB - David Harris, Demario Davis

CB1 - Dee Milliner
CB2 - Kyle Wilson/Kyle Fuller
FS - Jairus Byrd
SS - Dawan Landry, Antonio Allen
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 24 Jan - 20:38

Oakland Raiders

Free agency

Keep - Lamarr Houston, Charles Woodson, Jared Veldheer, Rashad Jennings, Mike Jenkins, Vance Walker

Lose - Phillip Adams, Khalif Barnes, Jacoby Ford, Andre Gurode, Jason Hunter, Jerron Mastrud, Darren McFadden, Daniel Muir, Tony Pashos, Pat Sims, , Tracy Porter, Usama Young

Target:

Donald Brown, RB - for depth at the RB position, providing he isn't too expensive.
Anquan Boldin, WR - Bring him across the bay! All our receivers are young so they could do with learning from an experienced pro like this.
Fred Davis, TE - We really need a pass catching tight end to expand our offense. Rivera is ok, but this would be an upgrade.
Richie Incognito, G - If he didn't bully Martin then I'd take him and let him fight in the trenches for us. Bell end, yes, but we need some aggression on that O Line.
Alex Mack, C - We have Wisniewski, but he can also slide to guard so if we bring in Mack I'd change the entirety of our interior line and kick Wis out to guard.
Henry Melton/Jason Hatcher - Either or both. We need upgrades on our line.
Brent Grimes - One of the best in the league last year and our secondary needs serious help.

Yeah, there are a lot of players there. But we have $70m in cap space...

Draft

Rd 1: Anthony Barr, OLB (I'd trade back for this but I won't get into hypothsis as to what we'd get back)
Rd 2: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
Rd 3: DeAnthony Thomas, WR/RB/OW
Rd 4: Aaron Donald, DT
Rd 6: Max Bullough, ILB
Rd 7: Best guard left on the board

QB - Garoppolo
RB - Jennings/Brown
FB - Reece
WR - Boldin
WR - Streater
Slot WR - Moore
TE - Davis/Rivera
LT - Veldheer
LG - Incognito
C - Mack
RG - Wisniewski
RT - Watson

I'd switch our defense to a 3-4 because it just makes more sense with the personnel we already have, and what I drafted for.

RE - Houston
NT -Walker
LE - Donald (drafted)
ROLB - Anthony Barr (drafted)
ILB - Roach
ILB - Bullough
LOLB - Sio Moore
CB - D.J. Hayden
CB - Grimes
FS - Woodson
SS - Branch

Kicks would be returned by DeAnthony Thomas.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 24 Jan - 20:42

Is there a more perfect player/team fit than Incognito and the Raiders  Laugh 

Olly I still rate Amendola, injuries etc are a problem but he is still a very good receiver

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 24 Jan - 20:58

FA
Sign Maclin to a 1 year deal preferentially.
Low ball Cooper and if anybody ups it let him walk
Cedric Thornton is a RFA so keep.
Vick can return as a backup if he wishes
Keep Allen and Jones
Keep 1 of Anderson and Coleman for ST
Hunt and Geathers can go

Target Ward/Byrd in FA since this team cant draft safeties.
Id like them to target Grimes but they won't.
See if a team will trade anything for Brandon Graham and Bryce Brown

Draft best Pass rusher/CB/WR available, beyond that BPA
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 24 Jan - 21:08

Don't think there's any way that Donald falls to the fourth round.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 24 Jan - 22:25

You're probably right Pr4wn, I was using a mock draft from December to see who might fall where. He's probably up boards right now.

In that case, whatever pick we'd get trading back from 5 we'd use on Aaron Donald...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 28 Jan - 7:48

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Free agency

Keep - Tiquan Underwood, Jamon Meredith, Gary Gibson, Jonathan Casillas, Dekoda Watson, Adam Hayward, Danny Gorrer, Erik Lorig

Lose - Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Ted Larsen, Spencer Larsen, Brian Leonard, Kyle Adams, Nate Byham, Rian Lindell, Jacob Cutrera, Dan Orlovsky

Target:

Alex Mack, C - His offensive line coach from last season is in Tampa and this signing would allow is to move Jeremy Zuttah to RG.
Michael Bennett, DE - Bring him back! Dominik should never have let him leave. Sign him to a multi year deal to give us some rush at LE.
Fred Davis, TE - We really need a pass catching tight end to expand our offense. Rivera is ok, but this would be an upgrade.
Lamare Houston, DT - After Akeem Spence, who had showed plenty of promise this season was arrested for weed possession, we could do with a star to pair with Gerald McCoy.
Robert Ayers, DE - We're fine against the rush but we desperately need pass rush.
Eugene Monroe/Michael Oher, OT - Demar Dotson was the best RT in the league last year according to PFF. He can move to the left side if need be but Donald Penn is old, fat and slow.

The Bucs have plenty of cap space to play with.

Draft

Rd 1: Jadeveon Clowney, DE Trade what you can. Just get him.
Rd 2: Jared Abrederis, WR
Rd 4: Dominique Easley, DE
Rd 6: Seantrel Henderson, OL

QB - Glennon
RB - Martin/James
FB - Lorig
WR - Jackson
WR - Williams
Slot WR - Abrederis
TE - Wright
LT - Dotson
LG - Nicks
C - Mack
RG - Zuttah
RT - Oher

DE - Clayborn
NT -Houston
DT - McCoy
DE - Clowney
OLB - David
ILB - Foster
OLB - Watson
CB - Revis
CB - Banks
FS - Goldson
SS - Barron

Jeff Demps to return kicks.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Jan - 8:01

Fred Davis is suspended 6 games btw
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Tue 28 Jan - 9:04

GSC wrote:Fred Davis is suspended 6 games btw

Not doing himself any favours. He could see a similar contract to the one Dustin Keller got in the off season - 1 year prove it deal.

Keller's was $4m for the record.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Jan - 9:06

Tbh I'd be surprised if anyone touched him. Serious issues there and production hasn't been enough to justify it
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri 31 Jan - 4:49

Redskins

Blow it up. Start again.

Repeat in 3 years.... maybe sooner.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 31 Jan - 6:53

Number-25 wrote:Redskins

Blow it up. Start again.

Repeat in 3 years.... maybe sooner.

Good one...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum