The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Olympics - Sochi

+9
Irishrunner
Mike Selig
Ozzy3213
Sangakkara
spencerclarke
Duty281
CFCNick
Bleausardv2
The Fourth Lion
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Winter Olympics  -  Sochi Empty Winter Olympics - Sochi

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

It's getting close.   Time to start a dedicated thread, methinks.

Official site:

http://www.sochi2014.com/en

Auntie Beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/2014/

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/olympics/
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Winter Olympics  -  Sochi Empty Re: Winter Olympics - Sochi

Post by Bleausardv2 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

And, for biathlon events, see the forum at Real biathlon forum

and the International Biathlon Union at IBU

Lots of UK interest in several events; for me the main interest will be in the sliding events and we also have Andrew Musgrave in the cross country, who actually beat several very highly ranked Norwegians recently!! Chemmy Alcott is in the team, although I suspect not fully fit, and we have two individuals in the biathlon (Steve Jackson & Amanda Lightfoot), so sadly no relay input
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:52 am

Alcott is racing in the Women's Downhill at Cortina this morning.  She's bib 50 from 52. 

Euro coverage moved to Kitzbuhel after the first 30 went at Cortina so no chance of seeing Chemmy's run, but I'm sure they'll let us know how it went.

GB look pretty strong in the sliding events and a medal is not out of the question.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:21 am

Nice to see the Jamaicans have qualified for the Bobsleigh again.  It's the two man bob rather than the Calgary four man of Cool Runnings fame, but I'm sure there will be a certain amount of interest in how they fare.

Still no confirmation of Tommy Morganstern's bid to be fit in time for Sochi.   The deadline date for nomination is 27 January so we will know for sure one way or the other then.  Good luck Morgi.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 28 Jan 2014, 4:17 pm

Did you see the Panorama expose on the Sochi Games last night on Auntie Beeb..?

It would have been naïve of anybody to expect Russia to administer the Olympics (and FIFA World Cup in 2018) without high levels of cronyism and corruption, but I must admit that from the report shown, it is worse than I expected.

I sometimes despair of the IOC and FIFA.  It's not as though they can say they've been hoodwinked into awarding their flagship events to a country that is run by a despot as bad as any Tsar or Communist dictator.   They must have known.

Still, all we can do is focus on the sport and not let the politics get in the  way, hope that security is tight and that nobody manages to stage an incident that causes death or injury to spectators or athletes then cross our fingers that Russia never gets another event until it has sorted itself out.... which could be never.  Certainly not in my lifetime.

I can't change what is happening in Russia, as sympathetic as I am to the people of Sochi and the region. I want to enjoy the games, but these Winter Olympics are tainted and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 8:50 am

I didn't see it, but 'from the report shown" ... the snag is that was the BBC and sadly I no longer trust them for unbiased reporting! I don't think we have yet seen the Panorama piece on charities (unless I missed that too), including Children in Need, which the BBC have postponed many times, I wonder why? I have a nasty feeling that a lot of sport is "bent" - not particularly defending Putin, but I doubt that most countries would run a major event without corruption and cronyism, or indeed some dirty work getting the event in the first place. As an aside I wonder if Russian TV has done a piece on the last Olympics????
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 29 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

I don't want this to become a lengthy discussion.  Rather, I just wanted to have my say on it and ask if you'd seen it.

I agree your point about all major events having some level of corruption,  but the levels involved in this, and the clear and documentarily established links between Putin and all the major contract holders doesn't leave much room for doubt.  The level of what has happened and the environmental impact on those living in the region makes me doubt whether these Olympics are really tenable.

I trust the reporter who made the programme.  He has a good reputation for objectivity.  He asked incisive questions that officials were clearly untruthful about in their answers.  And when his car was stopped at a police roadblock and told he was no longer allowed to film, it looked like the days of the KGB all over again.

As I said, I didn't really start this with the intention of making it a major discussion issue, but as a committed fan of winter sport yourself, I just wondered if you had seen it and felt as I did, that these games are, in conscience, almost unwatchable.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 29 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

A little something on the hockey tournament. Part 1 of a kind of preview/review of the nations rosters and chances.

http://betweenthepipesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/sochi-2014-glance-at-each-team-part-12.html

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 4:56 pm

4L, I take your point, and like you don't want this to be a major discussion (as we have more important things to occupy us, including actually watching winter sport), but my point was that any programme can be slanted to give the impression that the producer wants (true or not)!

The Fourth Lion wrote:  And when his car was stopped at a police roadblock and told he was no longer allowed to film, it looked like the days of the KGB all over again.
- I seem to recall a pensioner being ejected from a party conference, under anti-terror legislation - I wonder how that would play for a Russian TV crew!!

Anyway, there's a busy day coming up on Saturday including a downhill (St Moritz - the one postponed from Garmisch) and even some Skispringen!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 29 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm

Yep.... discussion on that issue over.   Let's get back to the winter sport.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 01 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

One week to go.

In case you hadn't noticed, Bleau, the figure skating short programmes, the women's moguls and some of the qualifying rounds in the snowboarding start on Thursday and will be shown on the BBC red button.

Bring it on..!!
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

Well, getting closer; in despair at the hiatus in most wintery stuff I stayed up to watch some of the Super Bowl last night! Only managed to half time when, as a Broncos supporter, I went to bed in despair - this morning's score line says it got worse later! I'm looking forward to a lot of the winter Olympics, although (despite the obvious expertise, skill & often raw courage involved) I personally choose not to watch anything that involves "marks" from a jury! I much prefer events where the winner is faster, more accurate, or goes further etc - no real debate about the result. Of the newer events board/ski cross look exciting (to put it mildly) and my old favourites of cross country, biathlon and alpine should provide a good thrill level - it would be wonderful if Andrew Musgrave could get a medal. Biathlon should have a good battle between Fourcade & Svendsen (maybe a medal for OEB, for old times sake - he's still looking competitive in some events). Women's biathlon possibly a bit more open - depends on Berger's form, especially in the shooting (same for Domracheva). I'd like to see Svindal and Maria H-R get at least one medal each, and given her form so far this season I think Tina Weirather could also do well. After seeing a recent BBC programme I'm a bit more into curling; more to it than I thought!!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

Tucked away on the BBC red button tonight was a collection of "memorable moments" from Winter Olympics. Some real epics; Anja Pearson's horrible fall (and the commentator saying that he thought she'd gone further than Eddy the Eagle). Hermann Meier winning two golds after his awful crash; Amy Williams getting gold; the USA v Russia ice hockey and, of course, Lyndsey Jacobellis chucking away a gold medal! Worth seeing if it comes round again.
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 11:59 pm

Wish Great Britain were boycotting this Olympics.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression all lacking in Russia, thanks to their government. Make a stand, perhaps? No just carry on as if there's nothing wrong, and let Putin score a propaganda victory.

For shame.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:50 am

Duty281 wrote:Wish Great Britain were boycotting this Olympics.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression all lacking in Russia, thanks to their government. Make a stand, perhaps? No just carry on as if there's nothing wrong, and let Putin score a propaganda victory.

For shame.

We've done that one, Duty and drawn a line under it.  You missed the boat there.   Still, nice to see a newcomer to the wonderful world of winter sport.

Bleau....  EVERYBODY went further than Eddie the Eagle.  But hey... the guy was living his dream, which is what the Olympics are really all about.

I've always enjoyed the curling.  It kinda draws you in, doesn't it...?   You find yourself absorbed in the competition and before you know it, you've lost all track of time.  Go Team GB..!!

Agree, Maria H-R and Aksel should win medals at the Games, and they deserve to if their World Cup form is anything to go by.   I feel sorry for the ones who didn't make it through injury.  The old cliché is true, that if the best aren't there (and I'm thinking Lindsey Vonn here), then the Games are lessened by their absence.  Still, the show must go on.

Delighted that Morgi made the cut.   Shlieri will also be there for Austria with Andy Koefler and Thomas Diethart.  The Austrians are going to make a very strong challenge.  Very surprised that Andreas Vank (gotta avoid the censor) made it into the German team, on his world cup and 4H performances, but I suppose the stats don't lie and I must have missed something somewhere along the line.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

The Fourth Lion wrote: Bleau....  EVERYBODY went further than Eddie the Eagle.  But hey... the guy was living his dream, which is what the Olympics are really all about.

Actually, the same "memorable moments" did include Eddy, and to be fair I think he did beat Anja - of course she was actually on a downhill at the time, not a ski ramp! Very nasty looking crash, after about 60 metres air time, trying to match one Lindsey Vonn's time! Like so many skiers she did come back, although I still think the ultimate recovery was Meier's. On a related topic, glad Morgenstern has made it - especially after a training crash.

If that collection of clips is on the iPlayer, might be worth a look - it didn't seem to be very well advertised but turned out to be rather fun!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

I'll look out for that. Thanks for the tip.

Got a pretty full inbox at this time and want to get all the work out of the way before Thursday when I put up my "Out of Office" sign for the next 18 days. But I'll get around to looking for it on IPlayer as soon as I can.

Cheers.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:22 pm

The official Winter Olympics web site is up and running, including team lists - Winter 2014.

There is also a BBC site - BBC WO 14, which is running a story about Sean White pulling out of the slopestyle event because of safety concerns
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

Dispatches on Channel Four tonight at 10.

Underlining just why no Olympics should be held there, I presume.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:07 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:The official Winter Olympics web site is up and running, including team lists - Winter 2014.

There is also a BBC site - BBC WO 14, which is running a story about Sean White pulling out of the slopestyle event because of safety concerns

I linked to all the relevant sites in my OP, mate. But all input is to the good.

I feel quite a bit of trepidation about these games, but I'm not going to let them overshadow the sport. For better or worse, they are going to go ahead and I just want to enjoy them now. I just hope nobody gets injured because of sloppy safety practices.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:12 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote:. I linked to all the relevant sites in my OP, mate.  But all input is to the good.

I feel quite a bit of trepidation about these games, but I'm not going to let them overshadow the sport.  For better or worse, they are going to go ahead and I just want to enjoy them now.   I just hope nobody gets injured because of sloppy safety practices.  

So you did, and I should have remembered as I added the link to biathlon! Like you I hope for a safe games, as far as possible given the inherent dangers of some of the sports - as you suggest we don't want them made worse by carelessness or disregard. On the plus side I seem to recall that at this stage before the last Winter Olympics we had a terrible crash on the sliding venue, and subsequent changes to the configuration; thankfully that seemed to do it. Here's hoping!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Dispatches on Channel Four tonight at 10.

Underlining just why no Olympics should be held there, I presume.

A superb documentary by Channel 4; I have shed quite a few tears already. Would strongly recommend watching it if you haven't already - bring a strong stomach though.

Wish our country was boycotting the Olympics, as well as the 2018 World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 06 Feb 2014, 12:00 pm

The slopestyle snowboarding was well worth the 0600 start this morning.  Jamie Nicholls (GBR) qualified for the final and Billy Morgan has made the semi final.    

Sandbech (Nor) and Piiroinen (Fin) lead and even to a layman like myself, it's clear that they are very strong and will take some beating for the medals.  USA weren't as strong as I would have expected but Toutant has made the final for Canada.

Jenny Jones is fifth in the women's slopestyle at the moment, although the second heat has just begun as I write.  Aimee Fuller is a little further down the field, finishing 7th at the end of the first heat.

At last.......... the Games have started, and I'm already loving it.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 12:33 pm

Hi 4L - I saw that Jamie had qualified - seemed to be some confusion by the officials about who was in the final? Let's hope Billy Morgan can get through from the semis! We're off!!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 06 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

Top four in each heat qualify automatically so Jamie was one out, although the BBC commentators were a bit miffed about his marking.  They thought he should have had better marks.  It brings back to mind what you said in an earlier post about disciplines that are marked by judges.  

Nobody is eliminated in the qualifiers. Those who don't make the final are automatically qualified for the Semi Final so get another shot at it.

Women's moguls were quite eventful with a couple of ladies taking some pretty heavy falls, although the fallers are all ok.  Their pride is no doubt more hurt than their bodies.  

The Doufour Lapointe sisters did well.... all three made the final at the first attempt.   Blimey, it must have been murder in that family when they were growing up and competing against each other..!!  <laughing>
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 4:07 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote:Top four in each heat qualify automatically so Jamie was one out, although the BBC commentators were a bit miffed about his marking.  They thought he should have had better marks.  It brings back to mind what you said in an earlier post about disciplines that are marked by judges.  

Nobody is eliminated in the qualifiers.  Those who don't make the final are automatically qualified for the Semi Final so get another shot at it.

Sorry my post wasn't entirely clear, I should have mentioned that I heard that Jamie has automatically qualified for the final while Billy has to try his luck in the semis - happy that those not through today have another chance. The "confusion" I referred to was from a BBC report that officials had said that only the top two would automatically go to the final - maybe it was only the BBC who were confused? I gather that Jenny Jones and Aimee Fuller will also be in the semis having not got a place in the final from these qualifying heats - all the best to them. Incidentally, the "classic moments" I referred to don't seem to be on iPlayer, but some are on the BBC Winter Olympics web page.

I liked your comment on the Dufour-Lapointe sisters, which reminded me of the Gasparins (Selina, Elisa and Aita) who are all listed in the Swiss biathlon team - in the past the three of them have formed 75% of the women's relay team - pity they didn't have one more sister to lock it out completely!! laughing 
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 06 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:Top four in each heat qualify automatically so Jamie was one out, although the BBC commentators were a bit miffed about his marking.  They thought he should have had better marks.  It brings back to mind what you said in an earlier post about disciplines that are marked by judges.  

Nobody is eliminated in the qualifiers.  Those who don't make the final are automatically qualified for the Semi Final so get another shot at it.

Sorry my post wasn't entirely clear, I should have mentioned that I heard that Jamie has automatically qualified for the final while Billy has to try his luck in the semis - happy that those not through today have another chance. The "confusion" I referred to was from a BBC report that officials had said that only the top two would automatically go to the final - maybe it was only the BBC who were confused? I gather that Jenny Jones and Aimee Fuller will also be in the semis having not got a place in the final from these qualifying heats - all the best to them. Incidentally, the "classic moments" I referred to don't seem to be on iPlayer, but some are on the BBC Winter Olympics web page.

I liked your comment on the Dufour-Lapointe sisters, which reminded me of the Gasparins (Selina, Elisa and Aita) who are all listed in the Swiss biathlon team - in the past the three of them have formed 75% of the women's relay team - pity they didn't have one more sister to lock it out completely!! laughing 

Ah yes.... I'd forgotten about the Gasparins.

I looked for the classic moments set you mentioned and haven't been able to find it. I'm obviously looking in the wrong place. I'll have another shufti. Thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to the opening ceremony tomorrow. I hear it's going to be quite a spectacular. Not that that particularly flicks my switches.... I'm interested in the sport...... but it's all part of the big package and as an addicted Olympics junkie (summer and winter) I won't be missing it.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote: I looked for the classic moments set you mentioned and haven't been able to find it.  I'm obviously looking in the wrong place.  I'll have another shufti.  Thanks for the tip.

They keep shifting it and using a different title! On the page http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/2014 some of the stories are near the bottom of the page marked "More Winter Olympics Video" - the Hermanator story is certainly there plus dirty tricks in ice dancing, Bolero etc now teamed with some more modern stuff!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 06 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm

A great first day. Really enjoyed the coverage on the second red button channel. I do think it's a bit hidden though. You aren't going to get many people just randomly flicking through and finding much of these Olympics.

Good to see competitive early interest from the Brits. May it all continue.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 06 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm

By the way guys are there any magazines in the shops you are aware of for Sochi? I've been looking but not found anything.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:28 pm

Oh dear.... a bit of an oops during the opening ceremony.

It looks like they tried to copy London's trick with the Olympic rings, but it didn't quite come off. One of the snowflakes didn't turn into an Olympic ring.

But it's been quite an intriguing start to the ceremony. I hope they have no further problems and it all goes like clockwork. It should do.... they've spent enough money on it.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

spencerclarke wrote:A great first day. Really enjoyed the coverage on the second red button channel. I do think it's a bit hidden though. You aren't going to get many people just randomly flicking through and finding much of these Olympics.

Good to see competitive early interest from the Brits. May it all continue.

Auntie is covering the Games on BBC2 throughout, Spencer. It was only the pre-opening ceremony qualifiers that were restricted to the red button.

As for your other question, no sorry, I don't know of any magazines. Good luck with finding one.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:18 am

A wake up call for Billy Morgan, falling in the men's slopestyle final first run. I hope he hasn't gotten carried away with his superb semi final first run, and thinks it's all too easy.

Jamie Nicholls in silver medal position after the first run, but that score can be beaten. Kotsenburg (USA) has an 8 point lead on first run, which is a big advantage. It's going to be difficult for anybody to beat that but it can be done. Silver and Bronze are still up for grabs.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:20 am

This has been a brilliant event either way. Im sure there are plenty of kids that will get into the sport after this.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

It sure has been, Spence.    

No medal for GB.   Shame.   Billy got a little carried away, I think, and let his excitement get the better of him.  He attempted big jumps with a high tariff, and it didn't come off.   I don't blame him for going for it, but as the old saying goes, fortune follows the brave, but disaster is never far behind.

Last edited by The Fourth Lion on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

I like how you have to tap the Russian doll in this event. It's crazy! And it sounds like a euphemism.

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:44 am

Just a shame the judging has been up and down a little. What a brilliant event to start the games with though. I've been loving ever second. Will try and watch some ice hockey later

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:18 am

Women's 2 x 7.5 Km skiathlon running - a superb day and the tracks look superb. Is Justyna K's ankle going to hold up on the freestyle? Two of the leading group had a fall at the changeover, a crucial few seconds lost - I'm hoping Kalla can beat Björgen! That looks a really mean hill!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

Marit Bjoergen. Now, that was a textbook study in how to win a race. She stalked the leaders all the way, dug in on the uphill sections and then just powered away in the last section to win by nearly two seconds.

There were some who said before the Olympics that she is weaker in freestyle skiing and that works against her in a combined event, but she showed the young whippersnappers the way home.

I have a feeling this is not going to be her only medal at these games.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:44 am

I ice hockey is going to be a bit of a joke if I understood the rules correctly there. If you are in group a you could technically lose all your group games yet still end up with the gold medal.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:50 am

The Fourth Lion wrote:Marit Bjoergen.   Now, that was a textbook study in how to win a race.   She stalked the leaders all the way, dug in on the uphill sections and then just powered away in the last section to win by nearly two seconds.

There were some who said before the Olympics that she is weaker in freestyle skiing and that works against her in a combined event, but she showed the young whippersnappers the way home.

I have to agree, although I had hoped that Johaug would have been closer - no medals at all for her! Have you seen Björgen's muscles?
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:Marit Bjoergen.   Now, that was a textbook study in how to win a race.   She stalked the leaders all the way, dug in on the uphill sections and then just powered away in the last section to win by nearly two seconds.

I have to agree, although I had hoped that Johaug would have been closer - no medals at all for her! Have you seen Björgen's muscles?

That's years of relentless conditioning. She really is the Iron Lady of cross country skiing. Add that to her experience and intense determination to win and it really does make her very formidable. These will surely be her last Olympics and I think all the others will breathe a sigh of relief when she hangs up her skis.

Will she tire towards the end of the Games..? I don't know, but I'm sure the others will attempt to put her under pressure in the races to come.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

I seem to recall that Therese Johaug won the Tour de Ski with Heidi Weng about third - Bjørgen wasn't there for the whole thing; a good decision perhaps? I have to say that I'd like to see the medals spread around in the cross country events!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm

Bleausardv2 wrote:I seem to recall that Therese Johaug won the Tour de Ski with Heidi Weng about third - Bjørgen wasn't there for the whole thing; a good decision perhaps? I have to say that I'd like to see the medals spread around in the cross country events!

I agree. It's good to see the medals spread around. I feel the same way as you.

I don't think Marit sees it quite like that though..!! That's the trouble with competitors..... they never get fed up of winning.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

Not sure what the BBC is doing! They are saying that the biathlon is "live" but there is no coverage on the website, just a pretty picture - all the other streams listed as live are, so why no biathlon - the race is certainly running as the IBU site has text updates! Apparently the BBC are also talking about the Swedish world champion, Emil Hegle Svendsen .. not a good start! So far Freddie Lindstrøm is clear at the finish, as is Nathan Smith - OEB still to come into his first shoot.

Later - OEB and Svendsen have both missed 1, but aren't yet at the finish; Landertinger currently leading, and Jo Boe has missed 4 in total! OEB has now crossed the line and currently leads, and he's faster than Svensen, Soukup and Martin Fourcade! Suddenly the feed has gone live and I can see the event!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 3:48 pm

Well, as they say anything can happen in biathlon! What a race - I wonder if anyone would have predicted that Björndalen, despite one miss, would win this event? That's his 7th gold, and to get it he's out skied both Svensen and Martin Fourcade! Landertinger gets silver and Soukup bronze! Fourcade in 6, EHS in 9; Simon Schempp best German  in 15. Great result for OEB, his 12th winter Olympic medal, but he really needs a different hat!
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm

Firstly, I'm glad we're finally getting down to the competition. All the pre-Games talk of social and political issues.... of security.... of this or that groups rights.... of money and displacement of people.... All done.

Now we're into the business of what the Olympics are about. Sport.

The old stagers have shown they still have what it takes. Bjoergen and Bjorndalen doing the business when it matters. It just goes to show.... If you're good enough, you're young enough.

Loved the Slopestyle and although I missed the afternoon events, the highlights were still enjoyable.

Felt sorry for the Japanese girl in the women's moguls. She has been so close, so often and to finish fourth in her final games and end her career with no Olympic medal must be heartbreaking. Sometimes, sport can be cruel. But congratulations to the Doufour-Lapointe sisters. Two medals for three daughters. Mum and dad will be very proud parents tonight.

All in all, an excellent start to the Games. If it stays like this for the next two weeks, I for one will be very happy.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:03 am

Well, another day and more surprises! Admittedly Matthias Mayer had been tipped as a contender, and he duly delivered to give Austria the gold in the men's downhill, with Innerhofer in silver and Jansrud getting bronze for Norway. But Jansrud beating Svindal (who was 4th - the worst place in any Olympic event), and Travis Ganong ahead of his compatriot Bode Miller (8th)??? Anyway, congratulations to the medalists, and my sympathies to those not on the podium, especially Bode, who looked so strong in practice for his final Olympic downhill. Looked a monster course, but surprisingly few DNFs. All the best to Jenny Jones!

Last edited by Bleausardv2 on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:06 am

Jenny Jones has a real chance of a medal in the slopestyle, really hope she can grab one.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:09 am

Gutted for Bode he has been brilliant for the sport over the years. Ihad high hopes of him doing something special. Congrats to the medalists though, great effort.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next