The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

learning guitar

5 posters

Go down

learning guitar Empty learning guitar

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 am

evening all

after a bit of assistance if you would be so kind. I'm trying to teach myself how to play guitar and while I can learn about chords and what not from guitar for dummies books etc does anyone know a reliable site to find song chords on for the likes of phonics and oasis and others

Back to top Go down

learning guitar Empty Re: learning guitar

Post by Gretgael1 Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Go to justinguitar.com. He gives free lessons from scratch and the appropriate songs to learn as you get better. Marty Schwartz on YouTube is also great, his website is guitarjamz, but just check him on YouTube. They are probably the two best out there.

I learnt guitar from these guys. Be patient and best of luck.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm

gazzyD wrote:evening all

after a bit of assistance if you would be so kind. I'm trying to teach myself how to play guitar and while I can learn about chords and what not from guitar for dummies books etc does anyone know a reliable site to find song chords on for the likes of phonics and oasis and others

If you're looking for a site that just has a heap of songs and tabs then I recommend ultimate-guitar.com

If you have a smart phone or iPad, I'd also recommend TabAppPro which is an app that stores tabs on your phone to view offline when you fancy.

Oasis is a good band to learn from, lots of simple chords and usually open so you don't have to muck around doing the more technical changes of hand position.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 pm

If anyone wants to learn air guitar then I'm available.

Advanced tuition involves learning how to say "Widdly widdly waah" "Dur dudududunnndunndarrrrr" and "BAJAAAAAAANNNNG" but let's not get ahead of ourselves kidz.

I also teach air bass for those who lack ambition, are generally lazy or have lost three fingers in a bizarre sharpened teaspoon and heated marmite accident that too embarrassing to mention.

I'm also a dab hand at air drums, air drinking, air fighting and dealing with air groupies.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 am

I'm doing more or less the same thing and have found YouTube to be a good source of tuition videos.

Granted some are rubbish and little more than performance videos, but I've found a few that are well-produced, showing you chords, finger positions and breaking songs down into segments.

I'll look up a couple of the ones I've found so far and post links when I get in from work.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Bit late to this. I started learning about 7 years ago now. Green Day is a great band to learn from. Very simple.

I too use ultimate guitar to learn new songs. On youtube I like Marty Schwartz.

Also, what kind of gear do people have?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 am

I have a Washburn X-30 as my "technique learning" electric guitar. Had it about 6-7 years now and its starting to show its age. Also have an Ovation Applause semi-acoustic which I do most of my actual song / chord learning on. Also nice for just relaxing and strumming with. A couple of years ago I splashed out on a very nice Schecter Damien Elite (basically because it just looked so gorgeous!) with active EMG pickups, complete with red flamed maple finish and "gothic" abalone fretboard inlays. Barely touched it, but break it out occasionally when I want to feel more like a rock star. Emo

Just the one amp at the moment but its quite versatile - a Vox Valvetronix 30W modelling amp. Great range of sounds!

Getting back to Youtube, I've found the Mahalo video tutorials quite useful - like these ones:

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:25 pm

I get all my music from

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 am

dyrewolfe wrote:I have a Washburn X-30 as my "technique learning" electric guitar. Had it about 6-7 years now and its starting to show its age. Also have an Ovation Applause semi-acoustic which I do most of my actual song / chord learning on. Also nice for just relaxing and strumming with. A couple of years ago I splashed out on a very nice Schecter Damien Elite (basically because it just looked so gorgeous!) with active EMG pickups, complete with red flamed maple finish and "gothic" abalone fretboard inlays. Barely touched it, but break it out occasionally when I want to feel more like a rock star. Emo

Just the one amp at the moment but its quite versatile - a Vox Valvetronix 30W modelling amp. Great range of sounds!

Getting back to Youtube, I've found the Mahalo video tutorials quite useful - like these ones:

I've got a honey burst Fender Telecaster Plus with maple neck. Gorgeous thing it is. Cost me £500. My first guitar that I've had for 7 years now is a Squier Strat that had a Fender Fromtman 15g with it for £120.

Have an Akai fuzz pedal, cheap and cheerful, and a Vox Pathfinder 15r I picked up in a mates shop for £30.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:08 am

Why not just ask STRONGBACK...his mummy bought him Metallica's Black Album when he was poorly so he could learn to play "Nothing Else Matters" as it would cheer him up

According to STRONGBACK, that album is the best thing Metallica have done (this despite his admission that he's never heard the preceding four albums or Garage Days EP so if you need to know anything about guitar just PM STRONGY and he'll tell you everything you need to know as well as lots of stuff you don't...like how Eddie Hearn ruined guitar playing for everyone by doing something shady yet non-specific)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down