The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 6

+6
Rowley
ShahenshahG
Bull
Notch
superflyweight
Galted
10 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 Empty The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I think I'll upset Jeff now and say that Blackberry Way is a better song than Waterloo Sunset.

Why would the fact you're a moron upset me?

As an aside though another Move song, Flowers in the Rain was the first song ever played on Radio One.

That could and should have been posted on me remarkably unpopular Music anecdotes thread....

Sean, if the thread had been called useless music trivia it almost certainly would have been. I have any number of such facts I could amaze you good people with.

Hit me.

Happily, the first Spice Girls Single not to go to Number 1 was Stop, it was kept off top spot by Run DMC vs Jason Nevins - It's Like That.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 6

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm

Roy Wood was in The Move & Wizzard.
He has never received any royalties for Flowers In the Rain though - The Move got sued by Harold Wilson over a libellous postcard they used as promo material for the single, and all royalties continue to go to charity.

I'm not a moron. However, Gordon is a moron.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:A unnamed source told me that even though Rachel Weisz is married to James Bond, she has been receiving a length from a neighbour of hers.

How the f*** am I a neighbour  I live in a metropolis and she lives in a village.  Ffs.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:A unnamed source told me that even though Rachel Weisz is married to James Bond, she has been receiving a length from a neighbour of hers.

How the f*** am I a neighbour  I live in a metropolis and she lives in a village.  Ffs.

You as well?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I think I'll upset Jeff now and say that Blackberry Way is a better song than Waterloo Sunset.

As an aside though another Move song, Flowers in the Rain was the first song ever played on Radio One.

That could and should have been posted on me remarkably unpopular Music anecdotes thread....

Sean, if the thread had been called useless music trivia it almost certainly would have been. I have any number of such facts I could amaze you good people with.

Hit me.

Happily, the first Spice Girls Single not to go to Number 1 was Stop, it was kept off top spot by Run DMC vs Jason Nevins - It's Like That.

Nice. The most famous person to come from my (southern) home town is/was Reg Presley. He used to have a big house which you could see from the dual carriageway that overlooked a corn field. There were corn circles in that field and it inspired him to become worryingly obsessed by the phenomena. The Troggs collabertion with REM released in 1992 named 'From Athens to Andover' was derived from the home towns of each band.

Boooom.

Last edited by seanmichaels on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

You as well?

You've never seen Rachel Weisz. Apart from through a telescope and a sticky pair of binoculars.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Hit me.

Nice. The most famous person to come from my (southern) home town is/was Reg Presley. He used to have a big house which you could see from the dual carriageway that overlooked a corn field. There were corn circles in that field and it inspired him to become worryingly obsessed by the phenomena. The Troggs collabertion with REM released in 1992 named 'From Athens to Andover' was derived from the home towns of each band.

Boooom.

The Bangles were originally The Bangs but had to change their name due to legal issues.

Most people would do the lead singer but not the other three.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

An interesting Troggs fact now Sean. Their song With a Girl Like You was number one the day England won the world cup in 1966.

I am a well of knowledge, feel free to dip your buckets.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

You as well?

You've never seen Rachel Weisz.  Apart from through a telescope and a sticky pair of binoculars.

Tina has three eyes

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

You as well?

You've never seen Rachel Weisz.  Apart from through a telescope and a sticky pair of binoculars.

Tina has three eyes

The binoculars are for scouting and the telescope for close-ups when he's located her. I mentioned "sticky" as a "w*nk" connotation, would have made more sense about the telescope though. And yes, he does.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:24 pm

[quote="JuliusHMarx"][quote="Galted"][quote="Mind the windows Tino."]
Galted wrote:

Tina has three eyes

Laugh clap

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:25 pm

Never quite grasped the quote function have you Sean?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Rowley wrote:Never quite grasped the quote function have you Sean?

I have been on form for a while. Think I was trying to be too clever there.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

Keep it Simple is always good advice Sean. Have to be honest when I see people quoting from old threads in new ones I get baffled, that is beyond me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

Rowley wrote:Keep it Simple is always good advice Sean. Have to be honest when I see people quoting from old threads in new ones I get baffled, that is beyond me.

Do you remember this one?

Rowley wrote: I love Tina and everything about him.  I wish he would love me back.  He is sooooo cool.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:38 pm

Rowley wrote:Keep it Simple is always good advice Sean. Have to be honest when I see people quoting from old threads in new ones I get baffled, that is beyond me.

Not a bad thing. Encylopeadic recollections of other poster's quotes is slightly worrying. Not sure you want to be in the same bracket with the likes of Strongy, Windows etc (LSW)

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

I like it when Strongy tells us about the views of posters on other forums!!!

I don't care what people on here think, why would I care what some idiot on a forum that I choose not to visit thinks?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm

superflyweight wrote:I like it when Strongy tells us about the views of posters on other forums!!!  

You only need one exclamation mark. You're not Beefcake, so don't try to be.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

Who the heck are Strongy and Beefcake? With those names, I'd guess the wrestling section.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Who the heck are Strongy and Beefcake? With those names, I'd guess the wrestling section

That would be a horrendous tag team in the 80's

They are strongback and TRUSSMAN from the boxing board

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm

Rowley wrote: I love Tina and everything about him.  I wish he would love me back.  He is sooooo cool.

Remember this one?

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I can't believe these f*cking northern half-wits believe that I'm from whatever northern sh1t-hole it was that I told them I'm from when I've lived in Poole for my entire life.

Come on, Tino.  There's no need to ridicule other forum users or to use foul language.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm

Waitrose Mozzarella, Tomato and Pesto Ciabatta sandwich. Expensive and tasted like fairy liquid. Huge disappointment

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

Galted wrote:

Remember this one?

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I can't believe these f*cking northern half-wits believe that I'm from whatever northern sh1t-hole it was that I told them I'm from when I've lived in Poole for my entire life.

Come on, Tino.  There's no need to ridicule other forum users or to use foul language.

Would have been relatively funny had you thought of it first.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

Galted wrote:

Remember this one?

Galted wrote:

What I should have done is wait for a few days until people forgot and then tried it. Would have caused quite a scandal I imagine.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Remember this one?

Galted wrote:

What I should have done is wait for a few days until people forgot and then tried it.  Would have caused quite a scandal I imagine.

Na - he starts frothing at the mouth at the mention of Salad - he's tried and tested.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Roy Wood was in The Move & Wizzard.
He has never received any royalties for Flowers In the Rain though - The Move got sued by Harold Wilson over a libellous postcard they used as promo material for the single, and all royalties continue to go to charity.

Galted has cut & pasted my Roy Wood info onto the 'interesting rock n roll anecdotes' thread and passed it off as his own. Outrageous.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Galted has cut & pasted my Roy Wood info onto the 'interesting rock n roll anecdotes' thread and passed it off as his own. Outrageous.

He has done it to me, numerous times. Might just start making some stuff up to make him look silly.

Did anyone know the Beck song Loser was written by Neil Sedaka.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I noticed that. He has done it with a few of the stories. I found it very funny but I was loathe to give him the satisfaction of admitting it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:23 pm

Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

He has done it to me, numerous times. Might just start making some stuff up to make him look silly.

Indeed. Also Geri Halliwell's father was once a drummer in Mud.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Indeed. Also Geri Halliwell's father was once a drummer in Mud.
That's what you get for playing the outdoor folk stage at Glastonbury

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Sorry chaps.  Was trying to post my Bangles snippet onto michaels thread to make him feel confident about himself.  We had a power cut at work and I had to do my cutting and pasting in the dark.  Unfortunately, some other posts may have been inadvertently displayed under my name.

Would love to stay and refute Rowley's "numerous times" allegation but TSMR is off for a run and I'm off to read a few boxing books in the bath.  Clever of me to get her a GPS watch for Xmas. God I love Tino.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

This place has been dumped. Michaels comes along with his fancy new thread and this gets consigned to the history books.

I am just going to talk to myself about arthropods.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:50 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:This place has been dumped.  Michaels comes along with his fancy new thread and this gets consigned to the history books.

I am just going to talk to myself about arthropods.

Fret not, Tino. Michaels has been a bit down recently with his failed bird table, as is evidenced by him leaving his packed lunch at home. A failed thread may have caused him to end it all with the circular saw so it's best we cheer him up a bit by showing interest. It's the 606 v2 way.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:53 am

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment Galted, if Tina starts about insects again I may have to go and join Michaels' thread.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:55 am

The oldest known animal to have lived on land is the arthropod Pneumodesmus newmani. Fossil evidence of this species consists of a single specimen that was discovered in 2004 in Scotland. Pneumodesmus newmani is classified as a millipede and is thought to have lived 428 million years ago, during the Late Silurian Period.

Millipedes are vegetarians. Unlike centipedes that eat bats, snakes, spiders, Indonesian peoples legs.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

I could spice things up with some factual Hi-Tec stories to keep the interest going. Don't think I've told you about the time I walked on a beach in St Helier with them on and left footprints in the restaurant we went to just after.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

...people's... with an apostrophe.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

It needed an "and" as well. I would have ended with "...spiders and the legs of Indonesians". Far more pleasant to read, especially out loud.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:01 am

Galted wrote:It needed an "and" as well.  I would have ended with "...spiders and the legs of Indonesians".  Far more pleasant to read, especially out loud.

Fortunately for me I had stopped reading way before that point.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

Of all animal groups, arthropods are the most diverse and their diversity is due in no small part to the diversity of one subgroup, the insects. Scientists approximate that there may be as many as 30 million species of insects alive today. To date, over one million have been identified. The success of arthropods has been attributed to their versatile exoskeleton, the process of metamorphosis, and their metameric body structure. There are no know records of insects giving a f*ck about nuances of grammar. They just eat stuff and kill each other.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:It needed an "and" as well.  I would have ended with "...spiders and the legs of Indonesians".  Far more pleasant to read, especially out loud.

Fortunately for me I had stopped reading way before that point.

He does bury the vaguely interesting/marginally less dull bits of his posts with an avalanche of irrelevant facts and latin names.  I did notice from the post that he likes his arthropods old, I see a pattern developing.

Last edited by Galted on Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to try to escape humiliation by Tino)

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:07 am

Galted wrote:

He does buries

Terrible.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:08 am

Damn you, Tino. My edit was in vain.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

I saw your edit. Got to get up earlier than that to catch me out.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:11 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Of all animal groups, arthropods are the most diverse

Most diverse my arse, they're all small and crunchy.  Fish and lizards are far more diverse.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:12 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I saw your edit.  Got to get up earlier than that to catch me out.

Tw*t.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:13 am

Galted wrote:  Fish and lizards are far more diverse.

Are they also more interesting?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:14 am

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:  Fish and lizards are far more diverse.

Are they also more interesting?

They are, certain fish can bite humans into chunks. Two, and possibly three, species of lizards are venomous.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:18 am

The one that ate the geezer in Skyfall certainly looked more interesting than the average bug.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:18 am

All terrestrial arthropods undergo internal fertilization and sperm is usually transferred to the female indirectly. Aquatic arthropods vary in their reproductive methods, with some species using internal fertilization and others external fertilization. Most arthropods lay eggs. Scorpions are the exception to this rule, they incubate their eggs internally and give birth to live young.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next